Negativity towards the DC films?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. The movie failed because it was a rambling, sloppily edited, nearly incoherent mess that never fulfilled on the many great ideas and performances it contained. And on top of all that, it simply failed to connect to audiences.

That's a bingo!

Everytime I hear the term "incoherent mess" regarding this film, I'm starting to question its definition. It's as if I'm forgetting what it means.

I need the Injustice: Gods Among Us comic storyline as one of the big DCCU event film series.

Everytime I hear the term "incoherent mess" regarding this film, I'm starting to question its definition. It's as if I'm forgetting what it means.

The film is a mess in how it was structured and how scenes follow each other yes, but I had no problem following what was going on.

My problem with the movie as insane as it sounds is that it's both too long and not long enough.

It's too long because it spends over two hours getting to the areas you really want to see. The first half really drags. But it's not long enough because a lot of scenes feel gutted and like a lot of important dialogue and development has been left out. Just for example, we barely see Superman or even Clark Kent for that matter speak or do anything at all. He never defends himself publicly. We just see him looking sad and lonely most of the time. Another example is that scene with Superman and his mother Martha. I feel like only half of that scene is actually in the movie. I feel it's missing some relevant moments with Clark struggling to deal with what he's going through and I feel like all we get is a few choice bits from Martha and Clark.

The film doesn't really explore his relationship and conflict with Batman. It's very base. They abandon the Clark Kent investigating Batman thing very quickly. He claims Batman violates civil rights. What the hell does that even mean? What does Superman call smashing that warlord through a wall earlier? What about his civil rights? "I didn't kill those men." Yeah, that dude you smashed through a wall is just resting.

Batman does have a really cool fight scene for the end, but it took over two hours to get to that. Besides that, all we really had was that bizarro nightmare mess which was real/wasn't real and the Batmobile chase, which is also pretty late into the film.

Last edited:
The negativity towards DC films with general audiences is real. It's well-deserved, too.

Went to see Civil War tonight. Amazing freakin' movie. Puts BvS to shame on every level possible (BvS did that on its own, though), if you ask me.

I overheard a LOT of people in the audience after the movie making comparisons between both movies (and none of those comparisons were complimentary to BvS). I swear to all that is holy, there was one dude that said this while walking out of the theater: "Batman v Superman? That movie is BEYOND saving."

Suicide Squad needs to be great. There's a lot of pressure on it right now, whether DC fanboys want to admit that or not.

After Civil War, everyone will have a Marvel Bias...

And it's justified and earned.

The negativity towards DC films with general audiences is real. It's well-deserved, too.

Went to see Civil War tonight. Amazing freakin' movie. Puts BvS to shame on every level possible (BvS did that on its own, though), if you ask me.

I overheard a LOT of people in the audience after the movie making comparisons between both movies (and none of those comparisons were complimentary to BvS). I swear to all that is holy, there was one dude that said this while walking out of the theater: "Batman v Superman? That movie is BEYOND saving."

Suicide Squad needs to be great. There's a lot of pressure on it right now, whether DC fanboys want to admit that or not.

I don't understand, where do you think this pressure is coming from?

Financially B vs S did well, critic review not so much, but audiences still like it based on RT.

I'm personally passing on Civil War, I'm tired of the typical marvel movie, starting way back with Ironman 1, don't get me wrong their "fun popcorn" movies, but I want to actually delve into a movie, and feel that I could be there and feel different emotions, not just be "entertained."

Even the positive reviews on civil war seem to be telling me just that, it's an entertaining movie, I've seen how many of those? How rare is it I get one that makes me question where I fit into the world, which sides I would disagree with, which sides I would agree with, and really make me get entrapped into the reality they are creating.

Entertaining movies, I've seen since I was 5-6, they stopped stimulating my mind to me when I was 19-20. And to be clear, I'm not bashing them for what they are doing, hey if thats what kind of movies and the universe you want, go for it, if you go to movies to turn your brain off and be entertained than yeah, go for it, but people need to understand where the "DC fanboys" are coming from, and their isn't some "need" for suicide squad to be over the top amazing from a review or critic standpoint, it just needs to do well financially to continue to justify creating these movies.

You must not have been reading the right reviews. Civil War does make you question what side you would be on.

BvS's numbers are good for a second tier blockbuster. Not a top tier one.

BvS's numbers are good for a second tier blockbuster. Not a top tier one.

Yup. Why is this so hard for people to understand? Batman v Superman is a financial disappointment. It probably won't even be in the top 5 of the year when it comes to the worldwide box office.

The last 2 Batman movies made over $1B each. One over 8 years ago.

Now you have the next movie with Batman AND Superman, the first meeting on cinema and that should not even come close to $1B?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=2015

If you wanna compare it to 2015, it would sitting 6th - 7th.

So I'm a little confused :/

On top of what Erzengel said about the last two Batman movies, you think it should go without saying that a movie featuring Batman and Superman's first cinematic interaction (on top of Wonder Woman) would cross a billion dollars. If it had come anywhere close to being a decent movie that audiences clicked with, it would have. Notice how front-loaded it was and how steep of a drop-off it had.

Yeah and meanwhile the movie that has freaking Iron Man and Captain America as it's front and center leads is probably going to breeze by #1 billion. And yes, WB is probably keenly aware of that fact.

After Civil War, everyone will have a Marvel Bias...

And it's justified and earned.

Agreed. DC has earned this negative reputation, in my honest opinion. I hate to get into the whole "Marvel or DC" thing, but based on what DC is releasing right now versus what Marvel is releasing right now ... It's hard for people to NOT "hate" on DC, sadly.

... Which really goes to show that people CARE about the DC characters/properties, actually. BvS's opening weekend is stone cold proof that there was an audience that genuinely WANTED to see these characters in action. Sadly, DC/WB lost a good chunk of that audience by releasing the hot garbage that was BvS.

I'm still looking forward to Suicide Squad, and that's really only because I love the characters involved in the movie and I want to see it succeed in terms of quality. I'd by lying if I said I wasn't worried for it right now, though. I'm holding out hope mostly because Snyder didn't direct it (thank god).

Suicide Squad is "do or die" for DC right now, in my opinion. It NEEDS to be great for DC to have a chance with this cinematic universe. If it falls short of expectations, then the future DC films are in big trouble. And if Wonder Woman is a flop, then say bye-bye to that Justice League movie.

I don't think there's enough time to scrap the Justice League movie if for some reason Wonder Woman fails.

My problem with the movie as insane as it sounds is that it's both too long and not long enough.

It's too long because it spends over two hours getting to the areas you really want to see. The first half really drags. But it's not long enough because a lot of scenes feel gutted and like a lot of important dialogue and development has been left out. Just for example, we barely see Superman or even Clark Kent for that matter speak or do anything at all. He never defends himself publicly. We just see him looking sad and lonely most of the time. Another example is that scene with Superman and his mother Martha. I feel like only half of that scene is actually in the movie. I feel it's missing some relevant moments with Clark struggling to deal with what he's going through and I feel like all we get is a few choice bits from Martha and Clark.

The film doesn't really explore his relationship and conflict with Batman. It's very base. They abandon the Clark Kent investigating Batman thing very quickly. He claims Batman violates civil rights. What the hell does that even mean? What does Superman call smashing that warlord through a wall earlier? What about his civil rights? "I didn't kill those men." Yeah, that dude you smashed through a wall is just resting.

Batman does have a really cool fight scene for the end, but it took over two hours to get to that. Besides that, all we really had was that bizarro nightmare mess which was real/wasn't real and the Batmobile chase, which is also pretty late into the film.

This, more than anything BvS was simply an unsatisfying experience. The Knightmare sequence? just when it's getting interesting it just ends and is followed by a ******ed Flash cameo. The Batmobile chase? unmemorable, unexciting, no tension and no stakes, felt like a car commercial and is ended abruptly by Superman, Batman vs Superman...yeah, Trinity vs Doomsday barely had any fighting , just giant explosions. Batman vs mercs was good but even that was just Batman beating up fodder, an actual fight between Batman and an enhanced Knyazev would have been cool but nope Snyder is more interesting in Batman pulling a trigger.
This movie fails even when it comes to action, had it succeeded in that department alone I'd say it would have made another $100 million.

Batman warehouse sequence is perhaps my favorite fight scene. Batman's agility is jaw dropping. Never seen Batman fight like that in a movie.

Batman warehouse sequence is perhaps my favorite fight scene. Batman's agility is jaw dropping. Never seen Batman fight like that in a movie.

I'd say Black Panther's agility was jaw dropping in Civil War and Cap's was amazing, compared to that Batman was just a big stiff.

Batman v superman dawn of justice was one of the most satisfying cinema experiences I've ever had. In Imax it was just jaw dropping amazing. It was full of action as expected and the Batmobile chase was fantastic and the warehouse fight is the greatest Batman fight ever put to screen. Out of all the live action and animated features it's no 1. Perfect. Loved the Batwing. Alfred was great as usual and the cave was the best it's ever been. Batman was brutal and his motivation to fight Superman was 100% justified and his eventual turn around was logical and plausible. Really looking forward to seeing the JL films with this Batman. Snyder is perfect for this universe.

Batman v superman dawn of justice was one of the most satisfying cinema experiences I've ever had. In Imax it was just jaw dropping amazing. It was full of action as expected and the Batmobile chase was fantastic and the warehouse fight is the greatest Batman fight ever put to screen. Out of all the live action and animated features it's no 1. Perfect. Loved the Batwing. Alfred was great as usual and the cave was the best it's ever been. Batman was brutal and his motivation to fight Superman was 100% justified and his eventual turn around was logical and plausible. Really looking forward to seeing the JL films with this Batman. Snyder is perfect for this universe.

I can't tell if this is a joke or not. Sounds and smells like one. Someone help me out here.

So based on a one percent chance, which becomes 0 percent once he knows Clark loves another human, with no prior investigation....that's apparently 100 percent justifiable. Huh. I'm glad some folks aren't writing scripts, and I'm not glad Chris Terrio is payed as much as he is for writing such weak motivations.

Also I don't see what was great about the CGI, lazy batmobile chase that should have been cut in favor of Batman stealing the kryptonite.

Snyder is about as perfect for this universe as Arnold was for the role of Mr Freeze.

I'd say Black Panther's agility was jaw dropping in Civil War and Cap's was amazing, compared to that Batman was just a big stiff.

I haven't seen Civil War yet but based on what I have seen from Black Panther in the 2 clips, he's the one who looks stiffer. I don't know if it's because of shaky cam style or frequent use of CG, but I'm not totally blown away yet.

The point was you said BvS failed in action, but that warehouse scene blew away a lot of my friends. I think it's funny people are bashing the positives now since they have already bashed the negatives multiple times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"