Endgame Peggy Carter - Hayley Atwell

Dark Raven

It's not about what you deserve...
Reaction score
We have a thread for Sharon Carter, who wasn't even in the movie, but we don't seem to have one at all for Peggy Carter who was in the movie.

I see that this full Smithsonian interview with her has been released online:

It makes it sad what she experienced, but then does raise some of the other questions created by the ending of Endgame.

Last edited:
Like does she get married in that timeline where Steve goes back? Or was Steve the guy she was referring too that was saved and he assumed a different identity.

My theory is that Steve creates an alternate timeline/another branch when he goes back in time to the 40's to get with Peggy. The Peggy in that video in Winter Soldier is unaffected by Steve's actions because Steve can't change his own past according to the rules of the time travel established.

Like does she get married in that timeline where Steve goes back? Or was Steve the guy she was referring too that was saved and he assumed a different identity.

The funny thing is writers and directors don't agree on this:

Directors think Steve create a new timeline, so he married Peggy in that timeline.

Writers think Steve travel to the past of the same timeline and he was always Peggy's husband.

In both cases, the past hasn't been changed.

That video has Peggy saying that Cap saved the man who became her husband. Is she lying or was that true at the time and somehow he did change the timeline or create an alternate one?

That video has Peggy saying that Cap saved the man who became her husband. Is she lying or was that true at the time and somehow he did change the timeline or create an alternate one?

The main timeline can't be changed, Endgame established that. Directors and writers agree on that part.

According to the writers, Steve was Peggy's husband all along. So, Peggy was lying (because Steve had to hide his identity).

According to the directors, Steve married Peggy on other timeline. So, she wasn't lying in that video.

It's not a lie. It's true from a certain point of view.

The main timeline can't be changed, Endgame established that. Directors and writers agree on that part.

According to the writers, Steve was Peggy's husband all along. So, Peggy was lying (because Steve had to hide his identity).

According to the directors, Steve married Peggy on other timeline. So, she wasn't lying in that video.

Then 5 minutes after his wife died, he made out with her niece. I ain't buying it.

It's not a lie. It's true from a certain point of view.

The emotions in that video look pretty genuine, especially at the end. Why would Peggy be so overcome with emotion about Steve's last words before the plane went down that she breaks down crying if he was already her husband, even from a certain point of view? The sting of that last communication wouldn't be anywhere as palpable because she would know that there was a happy ending.

That video seems more based on what the writers believed rather than the directors. It was true at the time as far as what held true back then, since it was filmed at the time of the Winter Soldier, and the events of Endgame weren't solidified yet.

The emotions in the video are genuine because there was nothing planned about the end from it in Endgame. The TWS video was filmed before Ultron, nobody even knew the Russos would be back for CW and would take care of The Avengers who was still Whedon.

The writers said that they planned it refer from the beginning of IW and Engdgame, they took the gap in these films, the fact that her series did not show her married to Sousa, did not show photos of her husband, which I believe was being kept for the tv series etc.

Then 5 minutes after his wife died, he made out with her niece. I ain't buying it.
Eh?

If you mean Civil War, Steve kissed Sharon after Peggy died, but Peggy wasn't his wife at that point.

Not matter what version you take (alternate timeline or same timelime), the situation with Sharon will be uncomfortable.

I think Sharon Carter should've been there in Endgame just to acknowledge the end of Steve's story and that he made her aunt happy in the end by going back in time to be with her.

Also, I thought Cap said that he didn't know how to dance. Should've had a scene of Peggy teaching him some steps. Unless he learnt in the present day?

I prefer the idea that Steve was Peggy's husband all along and his travels back to the past was merely correcting an existing time anomaly. Otherwise, how would he have been able to travel back from a new branch formed back in the 1940s to the current MCU? There was no indication that folks could travel between branches via the time platform. It makes more sense to me that Citizen Steve had been there all along. And Peggy's husband who was saved in battle was Citizen Steve living under a falsified identity.

Another option would be that Steve traveled back in time but never married Margaret. They shared a dance and a kiss and Steve walked away, knowing her destiny was with some other fella. He got married and had kids, but not with Peggy.

He could travel back and jump the same way he and Tony traveled back to 1970 from 2012 - where they changed the timeline with Loki and the Hydra reveal & Bucky shout out etc. The Ancient One even tells Bruce his is a different timeline. They did not use the travel platform, they had those GPS things Tony made.

Or maybe Tony Stark (who was maybe his Godson) in the new AU made him something even better

I'll never buy that Steve let HYDRA grow under SHIELD, let Bucky stay kidnapped and tortured and allowed the Starks to die so he could make no waves and be with Peggy . Can you imagine Steve at SHIELD office parties making nice chit chat with Zola and Hydra operatives and not telling Peggy about any of it? That's not in Steve Rogers to do. As soon as he went back he altered the time line and created a new one and is Steve Rogers' wont, made the universe a better place.

At what point did Steve enter into Peggy's life after going back in time? In the 1940s? Or the 1970s?

If it was the 1940s, has this completely changed or even invalidated the events of the Agent Carter series?

At what point did Steve enter into Peggy's life after going back in time? In the 1940s? Or the 1970s?

If it was the 1940s, has this completely changed or even invalidated the events of the Agent Carter series?

No year is specified, so nothing is invalidated.

I feel that he went to the 40s, created a branched timeline by being with Peggy, then when she passed on he went back in time to before he did that on his stone mission and then was able to go forward in that timeline (which is the current one).

I'll never buy that Steve let HYDRA grow under SHIELD, let Bucky stay kidnapped and tortured and allowed the Starks to die so he could make no waves and be with Peggy . Can you imagine Steve at SHIELD office parties making nice chit chat with Zola and Hydra operatives and not telling Peggy about any of it? That's not in Steve Rogers to do. As soon as he went back he altered the time line and created a new one and is Steve Rogers' wont, made the universe a better place.

Citizen Steve may have been concerned about creating something worse by intervening. Maybe by telling Peggy about it and freeing Bucky, Hydra wins. And he can't be Superhero Steve with one still waiting to be unfrozed. So he donates time at the homeless shelter, supports veterans returning from overseas and leads a recycling initiative in his town. Citizen Steve is the same great guy but without all of the punching.

Citizen Steve may have been concerned about creating something worse by intervening. Maybe by telling Peggy about it and freeing Bucky, Hydra wins. And he can't be Superhero Steve with one still waiting to be unfrozed. So he donates time at the homeless shelter, supports veterans returning from overseas and leads a recycling initiative in his town. Citizen Steve is the same great guy but without all of the punching.

Since Peggy knew he was Captain America in the first place, wouldn't she wonder why he isn't using his powers to help others? Wouldn't it be like if Spider-Man went back in time and then Uncle Ben told him "with great power comes great responsibility" but Peter decides to simply be Citizen Parker instead of Spider-Man?

I see it as Steve likely still had a super life even if he was in the past with Peggy, he just found other battles to fight. Steve knew how the other fights with Hydra and such would end, so in my head, he probably did his thing and fought other opponents we don't know about.

I wouldn't mind a 3rd season of Agent Carter on Disney +. Can you imagine if Steve suddenly comes back into her life after he's supposedly dead? How would she react to that? How would it change her life? It would be great to see.

Plus Season 2 ended on a cliffhanger. Although I doubt they'd really resolve that storyline. I can't remember who killed the agent who got killed.

If they did a 3rd season and used Evans, I imagine he would come in at the very end in a cameo.

If they did a 3rd season and used Evans, I imagine he would come in at the very end in a cameo.

But then they'd need a 4th season, because that would've been the main storyline I would've wanted to see and how Peggy deals with the aftermath of that. If it's the cliffhanger of the 3rd season, then they have to come up with a completely different plot for the bulk of the season instead of the return of Cap being the driving force.

But then they'd need a 4th season, because that would've been the main storyline I would've wanted to see and how Peggy deals with the aftermath of that. If it's the cliffhanger of the 3rd season, then they have to come up with a completely different plot for the bulk of the season instead of the return of Cap being the driving force.

We're never getting that, amigo. We're never going to see every little detail of these character's lives.

Instead of doing the first What If episode (What if Peggy Carter became Captain America) as an animated production, they could've made it a season of Agent Carter instead. It wouldn't have been that difficult since they already had all the period costumes. I'm sure they could redress some sets as well. It could've simply been an alternate timeline that they explored where Peggy took the super soldier serum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"