Prequel to 'The Thing' - Part 1

What was the original ending? I've looked online but haven't been able to find anything about it.

I wrote "Covert Remake." I know what words mean and how to use them. In my opinion it was a covert remake of the first film, plan and simple.

Yes, a "covert" remake. That chronologically ties directly into the first film. Makes perfect sense.

What was the original ending? I've looked online but haven't been able to find anything about it.

The script ending, IIRC, had a similar ending between the MEW and Joel Edgerton, except it was left up to the viewer to decide whether or not Joel was actually "the thing" or if MEW made a mistake and fried him when he wasn't even turned. Also, they made reference to using all the fuel from their vehicle to power the flamethrower, thus when MEW uses the flamethrower on Joel she is left with no fuel. Then, MEW wanders off into the darkness of the night, presumably to die somewhere.

"I was very clear with Kate's fate in the draft. I understand that what I gave them doesn't help in terms of growing a franchise. But there's no way that she could survive. I had it written so that they chase after Sander [on the way to the ship at the end of the film]. They're in a snowcat but he isn't. But then you start to see his tracks they they're following to the ship get longer and longer and more alien. And you realize that he transformed into something that can go very fast on the ice. That's what the smart creature would do. So they get there and Carter checks the one flame unit they have and finds that it's almost completely out of fuel. So they decide to take all of the fuel from the Snowcat and put it into the flame unit. Because it's better to kill this thing [than to be able to get away]. So at the end where she makes a decision that she thinks Carter is The Thing [and she needs to kill him], we realize that she is burning her fuel. She's burning her way home. And the last scene is her looking at the burning snowcat, with no other way of getting anywhere. And just the emotions of the past two days, she starts to cry and then just heads into the wind and starts walking. She is screwed. So that doesn't happen [in the final film], but then again, that may be what audiences want".

Plus
"Carter turns [into The Thing] in the spaceship. I think they may have vacuumed out a lot of the air from those moments. Moments where they were separate long enough for that to happen. And as Kate is killing The Thing, Carter realizes it's too late to save the other version of himself from being blown up, so the best he can do is try to survive himself and get back and occupy her."

Read more on http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/26758

I have the original script . Carter appears at the scene when Kate kills the other thing and he screams "no" to her when she throws the grenade (this is the first hint that he's another thing now). They both escape the ship, and the burns him. If I can find the script in my mailbox, I can put up a download link if it's allowed.

Would've been a much better ending, IMO, even though I still like the one we got.

Would've been a much better ending, IMO, even though I still like the one we got.

This is a love/hate it when compared to JC's masterpiece. There are two things that are big goofs in this movie, considering it's a prequel.

I agree, but those things don't completely destroy the movie for me like they do for some other people. There was far more "right" with this prequel than there was "wrong" IMO.

DVD review. Film comes out at the end of the month.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/53443/thing-the/

Since the first day I saw this film, this shot will always bother me. :cmad:

28jwod1.jpg

Yeah that scene in particular took me out of the film completely.

I wrote "Covert Remake." I know what words mean and how to use them. In my opinion it was a covert remake of the first film, plan and simple.

Exactly. It's an inferior remake masquerading as a prequel.

Yeah that scene in particular took me out of the film completely.

Yes...and that one scene
inside the spaceship with that Tetris-y looking thing....
:o

I did kinda like the film aside from those things though. Wasn't as amazing as Carpenter's, but yeah. It's like a love/hate thing.

The CGI just looks horrible is all. :o

Ah, ok. I thought that scene was probably the worst CGI in the film to be honest, but I still thought it looked disturbing as hell. The practical SFX footage shows how it would've been even more disturbing without CGI, which I have to say would've been the preferred option.

I am not a CGI hater. I think the works created with mo-cap, the work by Weta and ILM, is every bit as awe-inspiringly magical as Ray Harryhausen's, as Willis O'Brian's. But I have yet to see gross, glistening, disgusting, stomach churning CGI that can rival the best of Rob Bottin, Stan Winston, Rick Baker, Dick Smith. We'll get there one day, but today, and certainly not October 14th , 2011, is not that day.

Ah, ok. I thought that scene was probably the worst CGI in the film to be honest, but I still thought it looked disturbing as hell. The practical SFX footage shows how it would've been even more disturbing without CGI, which I have to say would've been the preferred option.

Yup, I agree with all of that. I saw the practical SFX footage & was so annoyed none of that ever got used in the final film version.

It probably won't work, but there's already a petition floating around to get a cut of the movie that restores the practical effects work ADI did that mostly went unused. Here's the link. I signed it, though it probably won't work. But hey, won't hurt to try.

Yeah I highly doubt that will happen, too. It'd be neat to get a directors cut though if they actually did shoot those alternate script scenes. If not then I suppose it'd be useless.

Seen most of the deleted scenes/extended scenes. Of the 5 of the 7 I seen, only 3 were nice.

Sadly the alternate opening in the coffee shop does not appear to be in there....I listen to commentary this week.

Oh, got that DVD/Blu combo.

I'll be picking this up on Blu-ray when I get some extra cash. I look forward to seeing it again as I enjoyed it in theaters. I also look forward to watching it together with the 1982 movie.

I didn't realize this came out yesterday. I'll have to pick it up tomorrow.

Seen most of the deleted scenes/extended scenes. Of the 5 of the 7 I seen, only 3 were nice.

Sadly the alternate opening in the coffee shop does not appear to be in there....I listen to commentary this week.

Oh, got that DVD/Blu combo.
Too bad they didn't include the coffee shop scene. :-(

Can you describe all the deleted scenes please? And if special effects are finished in each scene.

I have uploaded the Comic Con trailer (DVD quality - not the cam). The coffee shop scene is in the intro of the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHTS3KPM-KE

The coffee shop scene was the original introduction to Kate and how she was invited to Antartic.

Other things included in this trailer are the practical effects, original Pilot alien and deleted scenes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"