Prequel to 'The Thing' - Part 1

Saw this at Best Buy today, I'll snag it next time I get extra cash. Been wanting to see this again since the theater.

It got taken down :csad:
When I uploaded it, I saw it was being blocked in some countries. I'm at work so I can't check it out right now, but I can always upload the file somewhere else.

Have to take a look at my youtube video first to see if it's really taken down.

it wasn't bad. 7/10. it honored the original, it tied into the original. it is what most critics said..unnecessary. Because if you know the original, you know what's coming. The execution was basically the same as the original storyline...i'm sure somewhere along the way someone decided "lets do a remake" and someone smarter said "you can't remake The Thing again, lets add in a prequel plot instead." For that I appreciate what they did here...kinda fills in the gap for fans. Some of the animatronic and practical effects were cool but the cgi moments just can't match up to the original. But the original had more than just good gore and fx, it had an amazing feeling of tension and suspense and this film couldn't compare in that dept. either. But overall, entertaining, a little freaky, and truly one for the fans.

Maybe it was a little unnecessary but as a huge fan of the 1982 movie I enjoyed seeing the events that transpired and ultimately led to the 1982 film. I love tight continuity like that in any sequel or prequel, linking so heavily to the previous movie.

watched it. pretty good. solid acting all around. pretty good way to see who is what and all.

i like how it ties into the 82 version pretty tightly. you can probably make a 4 hour movie if you edit them both together and remove credits.

I'm sure some fans will get to work doing an edit of both movies together.

i like this to bad it didnt make any money in theaters

Finally saw it...it was meh, if the CGI was taken out it would be better, but still, the characters didn't quite click for me except for MEW's character and Lars. I did love how it tied into Carpenter's version. Mostly it lacked Kurt Russell level badassery, and I think the all-male cast of Carpenters adds to the tension, but it's still good to see for fans of the original.

3*** out of 5.

Just watched this last night. Pretty solid movie. It moved really fast when Lars went to go check on Carter. I wish that part of the movie lasted longer. Some pretty cool characters.

Also, how did The Thing get into that first girl?

I just finished watching this. Not that bad actually, but part of me regrets seeing it and spoiling some of the mystery and backstory for the event before the original movie.
The part where the thing melts it's face together with that one dude felt a bit forced in and they should have kept the dog alive until the very end.
All in all, an entertaining movie, nowhere near as good as Carpenter one but that one is hard to beat.

All in all, an entertaining movie, nowhere near as good as Carpenter one but that one is hard to beat.

Indeed. I think that's what was mainly against this from the get-go, it had no chance of living up to Carpenter's movie. But with that said, I still found it to be a solid prequel.

Eh, I watched it again and had trouble paying attention to it. I think it was even worse the second time and I wasn't a fan in the theater. It's like Tron Legacy in that way.

I look forward to seeing it again, I plan to pick it up soon. I enjoyed it in the theater and look forward to watching it together with Carpenter's film.

I found a great quality version of the teaser shown at the 2011 Comic-Con:

http://www.buddhajonestrailers.com/media/theatrical-trailer/horror-suspense/32939850

All I'll say is...wow. If they had released that teaser, and kept all the practical effects and everything as is, without Universal's interference, it probably would have been more entertaining to watch and maybe more successful in theaters.

Universal really dropped the ball on this one.

yup. that teaser was like...whoa, this is going to be amazing. but then they held it back and said make everything CGI!

I found a great quality version of the teaser shown at the 2011 Comic-Con:

http://www.buddhajonestrailers.com/media/theatrical-trailer/horror-suspense/32939850

All I'll say is...wow. If they had released that teaser, and kept all the practical effects and everything as is, without Universal's interference, it probably would have been more entertaining to watch and maybe more successful in theaters.

Universal really dropped the ball on this one.

I definitely agree. My friend emailed me that same trailer today & woah. It was so awesome to watch. I got pumped watching that. Too bad Universal had to get in the way and screw up some of the effects and whatnot with all their CGI nonsense.

I definitely agree. My friend emailed me that same trailer today & woah. It was so awesome to watch. I got pumped watching that. Too bad Universal had to get in the way and screw up some of the effects and whatnot with all their CGI nonsense.

I'd really like to see Universal somewhere down the line release an original cut of the film, with important scenes inserted back in and pretty much all the practical effects, with minor CGI enhancements, restored.

For example, you know that tentacle thing you see in the film? They actually made a practical, animatronic version of that (which you can see @ 9:24 in the following video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7YtDbBar7c
[YT]S7YtDbBar7c[/YT]

I mean, how would you think CGI would do a better job than that?!? :doh:

I'd really like to see Universal somewhere down the line release an original cut of the film, with important scenes inserted back in and pretty much all the practical effects, with minor CGI enhancements, restored.

For example, you know that tentacle thing you see in the film? They actually made a practical, animatronic version of that (which you can see @ 9:24 in the following video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7YtDbBar7c
[YT]S7YtDbBar7c[/YT]

I mean, how would you think CGI would do a better job than that?!? :doh:

Me too. I first saw that video I think a few days before the DVD was released & then when I actually had the DVD & man, just seeing all those practical effects and how it would've looked on screen would've been cool.

Granted, the prequel would've never been as great as Carpenter's probably, but it could've been a lot better had Universal left well enough alone.

****ing studios. This movie could've went from good to great IMO. That practical tentacle is surreal to see in action...I love how far animatronics have come.

Watching that video right now and the part where he goes "and we wanted to make it CG.."

I went...

yNcQh.gif

I'd give this an 8/10 after seeing it again. It's quite good even if it doesn't live up to Carpenter's movie.

Agree on the lack of practical effects, though. Depressing to see what was made only for it not to be used :(

Finally got round to watching this tonight. Didn't really blow me away TBH.

Good points - tense, decent acting, sets itself up nicely as a prequel

Bad points - very bleak setting with no variety in terms of visuals, and thus the film feels very contained/claustrophobic. This may help with tension, but makes it a bit boring to watch. Asides from that, the alien was quite generic - they went for the usual unrecognisable-tentacled-roaring-alien-which-eats-humans ......... I can never understand why they go with such a primitive concept for an alien and still try to convince us it's clever and advaned enough to pilot a spaceship? And finally ..... some very dodgy CGi.

Not a bad film as such, but quite forgettable. 6/10 from me.

Finally got round to watching this tonight. Didn't really blow me away TBH.

Good points - tense, decent acting, sets itself up nicely as a prequel

Bad points - very bleak setting with no variety in terms of visuals, and thus the film feels very contained/claustrophobic. This may help with tension, but makes it a bit boring to watch. Asides from that, the alien was quite generic - they went for the usual unrecognisable-tentacled-roaring-alien-which-eats-humans ......... I can never understand why they go with such a primitive concept for an alien and still try to convince us it's clever and advaned enough to pilot a spaceship? And finally ..... some very dodgy CGi.

Not a bad film as such, but quite forgettable. 6/10 from me.

Have you seen the original? Pretty much everything you dislike is what made the original a classic and one of the greatest horror films ever made. I still have yet to see this prequel myself though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"