Justice League Ranking the Zack Snyder Trilogy

Hard to rank. I've been a huge fan of these films as well as Zack's vision.

I'd still rank MOS at #1 because that movie had so many heartfelt moments that touched me personally.

BvS UE version is way better than the theatrical cut just as ZSJL is way better than it's theatrical cut (all my opinion of course).

So ranking those is hard. Both films gave me so many things I had wanted to see on screen for decades!
I love Christopher Reeve, but Can only watch Superman catch Falling helicopters and go against "natural" disasters so many times. For years I had wanted a Superman the animated Series/ Dragon Ball Z type fights and boy did I get that and more! All kinds of images and references ripped straight from the comics. I loved every bit of both of these films in their extended forms.

I agree very much with Calvin Ellis had to say a few comments above as well.

Ranking the parts of the Snyder trilogy in terms of “quality” or “entertainment value” (not necessarily the same thing) comes down to taste and opinion. Obviously. I’d argue, however, that that ZSJL is the most conventional and orthodox of the three. MOS might be a close second; but it employed some infamously controversial choices. And BvS is an unabashed and unapologetic deconstruction. ZSJL, on the other hand, seems like something that would’ve been written for a mainstream graphic novel and fully approved by DC editors and executives.

Granted, such an evaluation is more obvious via “compartmentalization” — considering ZSJL in isolation. Conversely, it’s less obvious from an integrated, holistic approach. This is especially so if you despised BvS and were dreading the Knightmare plotline indicated for the unfilmed JL2/3. In that case, it might be tougher to treat ZSJL as a standalone “oasis” of normalcy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"