Ridin’ with Biden

ErvdwKlW4AEJUFi

ErvdwVmXMAUtdnq

This was *after* the $600 stimulus was passed.

Look, I disagree that $2000 is enough, but I can easily see, in that statement, Biden's support for an extra $1400 and not $2000 more.

Well if kids get 1,400 each a family of five would get 7k.

That's way better than the 3k from December.

Plus 400 monthly unemployment until September.

I think this 1.9 trillion package was reasonable.

If they went for a 5 trillion dollar package with 2k recurring checks, 30k student debt forgiveness, etc you would get rejected by conservative Democrats and every Republican. And the public would turn against Biden for being divisive.

I think this bill will be far reaching without looking gratuitous.

And for cons complaining about the $15 minimum wage about how it’s an undue burden on businesses did the same when W signed the minimum wage increase bill in 2007.

It will be gradually phased in over several years, a la the Florida minimum wage referendum.

Last edited:
I honestly don’t know what to say. I thought it was pretty obvious that they meant an additional $1400 on top of the $600 to get to the $2000. I can already see the infighting between the democrats about to start. Say what you will about the Republicans but at least they were aligned with each other on these things (at least to the public)

I honestly don’t know what to say. I thought it was pretty obvious that they meant an additional $1400 on top of the $600 to get to the $2000. I can already see the infighting between the democrats about to start. Say what you will about the Republicans but at least they were aligned with each other on these things (at least to the public)

AOC of all people knows full well that even with Warnock and Ossoff in the Senate, they can’t pass another stimulus bill without some Republican buy in. Compared to a Green New Deal, a covid relief package (and a minimum wage increase) will be easier to pass.

She needs to keep her powder dry. Push for a big reconciliation package that can include a big progressive item.

ErvjkaRVEAMdffI

Democrats literally ran on $2000 checks. Not an extra $1400 ontop of the $600 that was already given.

Yep. Look how obvious that shady accounting is.

This is why people hate politicians. It's two-faced bull****.

It wasn't ambiguous guys. It was $2,000. I get you need GOP votes for this, but you don't do that by placating them with going back on your word and lowering the check amount. Now the Republicans can make Biden lower it even more and I wouldn't be surprised if we just got another $600 check at this point. There's gonna be compromises now.

Biden's term hasn't even started yet, and it's pretty much looking like what I was afraid of. This is why people vote for outsiders like Trump. The way we can prevent another Trump is to stop it with this middle of the road bull**** and get ambitious. At the very least, hold yourself to the highest standard and go from there. At least you can say you tried. Even if you hold a slim majority, you have leverage. Do not waste that by placating Republicans who aren't interested in helping people.

It wasn't ambiguous guys. It was $2,000. I get you need GOP votes for this, but you don't do that by placating them with going back on your word and lowering the check amount. Now the Republicans can make Biden lower it even more and I wouldn't be surprised if we just got another $600 check at this point. There's gonna be compromises now.

[...] At least you can say you tried. Even if you hold a slim majority, you have leverage. Do not waste that by placating Republicans who aren't interested in helping people.

No, Biden and Democrats have the leverage. After 1/6/21, there's going to be pressure on Senate Republicans to play nice -- and some will.

Biden doesn't have a 60 Senate vote majority and Manchin isn't going to vote to end the filibuster. Until either one comes to fruition, compromises have to be made to get stuff passed.

And Biden is probably going to do an ambitious reconciliation bill -- but he can only do that once a year (or every two years, I'm not sure). So they should save THAT for a big ticket progressive item.

So according to Fox News, the level of protection that's being used for the Inauguration is how authoritarian governments are formed. One talking head said she won't feel sorry for the Left when ANTIFA attacks DC in Biden's term.

I think Dems should be more focused on the unemployment benefits(I would rather they bump it up from 400 to 600 and make it retroactive) rather than focusing on the semantics of $1400 vs $2000.

I think Dems should be more focused on the unemployment benefits(I would rather they bump it up from 400 to 600 and make it retroactive) rather than focusing on the semantics of $1400 vs $2000.
We should all focus on the authoritarian Police State the Democrats have created by using the Trump supporter riot to destroy their First Amendment rights and sow chaos in our democracy. What's next your guns. Biden will be the next Hitler.

This.

If Biden's overall Covid relief package is decent, increasing the amount of unemployment benefits and making it retroactive would be FAR better than the $1400 vs. $2000 debate.

It's not like he's going to get a ton passed on Day One. Day One is going to be inauguration and confirmation votes on his cabinet members.

I'd say wait 100 days or first six months before complaining.

No, Biden and Democrats have the leverage. After 1/6/21, there's going to be pressure on Senate Republicans to play nice -- and some will.

Biden doesn't have a 60 Senate vote majority and Manchin isn't going to vote to end the filibuster. Until either one comes to fruition, compromises have to be made to get stuff passed.

And Biden is probably going to do an ambitious reconciliation bill -- but he can only do that once a year (or every two years, I'm not sure). So they should save THAT for a big ticket progressive item.
Of course there will be compromise, but coming to the table already compromising is an awful negotiation tactic.

So according to Fox News, the level of protection that's being used for the Inauguration is how authoritarian governments are formed. One talking head said she won't feel sorry for the Left when ANTIFA attacks DC in Biden's term.
Oh so now they're back to caring about authoritarianism?

So ****ing predictable. :whatever:

Of course there will be compromise, but coming to the table already compromising is an awful negotiation tactic.

The Democrats are presenting themselves as being the reasonable party who are extending the olive branch.

When Republicans try to stonewall the Democrats will use reconciliation.

Of course that's a last resort because they only have a limited amount but nobody can say the Democrats didn't try bipartisanship first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"