Ridin’ with Biden

I worry about these mobile units going out to remote areas. There are a lot of nuts who don't want Bill Gates tracking them, don't want to be mind controlled robots, or think this is some nefarious plot that is being covered up by a fake pandemic. They may also have guns.

The vaccine guidelines are too rigid he says.

I think a part of the failing is a lot of people like front line workers and the elderly refusing to get it when it’s available.

They feel about metal detectors for themselves like they feel about masks.

Last edited:
The Democrats are presenting themselves as being the reasonable party who are extending the olive branch.

When Republicans try to stonewall the Democrats will use reconciliation.

Of course that's a last resort because they only have a limited amount but nobody can say the Democrats didn't try bipartisanship first.
:wall: Have we learned nothing from the Obama administration?

:wall: Have we learned nothing from the Obama administration?

Can we maybe wait and see what a Biden administration does? I'm sure they'll be plenty to disagree with them about, but let's not predict what's going to happen and then use those points as criticism.

I think Dems should be more focused on the unemployment benefits(I would rather they bump it up from 400 to 600 and make it retroactive) rather than focusing on the semantics of $1400 vs $2000.
Agreed that unemployment needs to be front and center and robust. But to call the difference between $1400 and $2000 "semantics" (even though it isn't. They won Georgia explicitly running on a $2000 campaign) is a little tone deaf. That's not a sematic difference to the people it would help.

The vaccine guidelines are too rigid he says.

I think a part of the failing is a lot of people like front line workers and the elderly refusing to get it when it’s available.

They feel about metal detectors for themselves like they feel about masks.

Great. They can pay their fines and be removed from the floor and/or building.

Can we maybe wait and see what a Biden administration does? I'm sure they'll be plenty to disagree with them about, but let's not predict what's going to happen and then use those points as criticism.
No, that specifically was in response to why Messiah thought this method was a good tactic. We already know extending Republicans olive branches doesn't work. We have ample evidence of it. Why do we need more? Why not, for the love of god, try a new tactic?

And he may not be in office yet, but this check issue is fair game. He doesn't get a mulligan on anything he might say just because he isn't in office yet.

No, that specifically was in response to why Messiah thought this method was a good tactic. We already know extending Republicans olive branches doesn't work. We have ample evidence of it. Why do we need more? Why not, for the love of god, try a new tactic?

And he may not be in office yet, but this check issue is fair game. He doesn't get a mulligan on anything he might say just because he isn't in office yet.

I agree the check issue is fair game, but, TBH, I thought they meant an additional 1400 (which again, isn't enough). As to your point regarding unemployment benefits, I completely agree. Focus on unemployment and make payments retroactive. People need money and this is much more important than an additional 600 to a targeted group. People who aren't working need the money more than those who are (though we are also dealing with under employment also so those people can't be forgotten). In addition, the stimulus checks shouldn't be denied to those who USED to not qualify if they are currently unemployed. Anyone who is unemployed should get a stimulus check. The only people I would disqualify would be execs who got golden parachutes and those like them.

Agreed that unemployment needs to be front and center and robust. But to call the difference between $1400 and $2000 "semantics" (even though it isn't. They won Georgia explicitly running on a $2000 campaign) is a little tone deaf. That's not a sematic difference to the people it would help.

They ran on the notion that the $600 checks should have been $2000 checks. When Trump refused to sign the bill in December, he said he wanted $2000 checks. The House passed another Bill just for the $1400 to true up the 600 to 2000. Then McConnell shut that down. The Biden plan is basically that second House bill that was passed. I don’t think this is tone deaf at all. He’s delivering on that original $2000 that was promised.

They we're still trying to get that through in the congress and senate at that time.

They ran on the notion that the $600 checks should have been $2000 checks. When Trump refused to sign the bill in December, he said he wanted $2000 checks. The House passed another Bill just for the $1400 to true up the 600 to 2000. Then McConnell shut that down. The Biden plan is basically that second House bill that was passed. I don’t think this is tone deaf at all. He’s delivering on that original $2000 that was promised.

That's how I read it.

Pence might be an asswipe, but at least there is some semblance of normality compared to Trump.

That's a very low bar LOL.

WRT the stimulus checks. First off, whether there should be more stimulus money and my answer is YES. The other part is whether $2600 was being promised pre election. I didn't read it that way and I don't think a lot of others did either. I can see why some would say 2600 was promised, but don't see it. Therefore this argument that it was crystal clear that an extra 2K was promised seems disingenuous to me and more of a bargaining tool than a clear cut criticism of a package containing an additional 1400.

ErvjkaRVEAMdffI

Democrats literally ran on $2000 checks. Not an extra $1400 ontop of the $600 that was already given.
Here, I'll quote it again. How much more plain could this ad be? How is this NOT a bait and switch? This is hidden fees as a campaign tactic.

Biden has always said the first 600 was a down payment.

Keep in mind the Republicans didn't wan't any stimulus checks.

If they won the senate there would've been another 9 months of negotiations.

No, Biden and Democrats have the leverage. After 1/6/21, there's going to be pressure on Senate Republicans to play nice -- and some will.

Biden doesn't have a 60 Senate vote majority and Manchin isn't going to vote to end the filibuster. Until either one comes to fruition, compromises have to be made to get stuff passed.

And Biden is probably going to do an ambitious reconciliation bill -- but he can only do that once a year (or every two years, I'm not sure). So they should save THAT for a big ticket progressive item.

Compromises are necessary, but if you intend to compromise you don't already start negotiating with yourself before you even get an offer from the other side. This is poor negotiating. Start with the full $2,000 cheques and if necessary let the Republicans whittle you down to a $1,600 top-up or what have you. If Biden can't get the full $2,000 cheques, then he can say he tried and can justify the end result as a victory on the basis that the $2,000 promised was the existing $600 plus $1,600. Starting at a top-up of $1,600 only means that Biden is going to have to compromise further from here. He will either have to back track on the $1,600 new promise or cut something else from the package to get it passed.

I think the Democrats are going to try to get the bill passed and when Republicans say no they'll push it through anyway via reconciliation.

No negotiations necessary.

I worry about these mobile units going out to remote areas. There are a lot of nuts who don't want Bill Gates tracking them, don't want to be mind controlled robots, or think this is some nefarious plot that is being covered up by a fake pandemic. They may also have guns.
They will also soon have the virus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"