• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Season 1, Episode 1: "Pilot" (SPOILERS)

I liked the episode and start to this new show. Yet, at the same time, a part of me also felt a bit bored.

It's like - I've already seen this with the Smallville show, but now instead of Clark/Lana it's their kids in similar roles. Except I'm invested and interested in Clark/Superman, not these kids.

And that's my biggest worry/fear. That the focus on the kids is going to overshadow Superman, while retreading essentially familiar territory, with triple the teenage angst.

This show could be great and interesting. But I feel it could also get boring and annoying real fast, and I question the longevity of this concept. Smallville show lasted, what, 10 seasons? But that show focused on Clark, and I care about Clark. But having already seen all that, I'm not sure I care too much to see it happen again with Clark's kids who I don't really care about.

This show could be great and interesting. But I feel it could also get boring and annoying real fast, and I question the longevity of this concept. Smallville show lasted, what, 10 seasons? But that show focused on Clark, and I care about Clark. But having already seen all that, I'm not sure I care too much to see it happen again with Clark's kids who I don't really care about.

On a sidenote about Smallville, I didn't really like the Elsewhere show's take on Smallville but it almost seems like it was a set up for this show(ie Lois and Clark go back to the Farm)

On a sidenote about Smallville, I didn't really like the Elsewhere show's take on Smallville but it almost seems like it was a set up for this show(ie Lois and Clark go back to the Farm)
Was that the cameo with Tom Welling as older Clark back on the farm?

This show does kind of feel like the logical sequel to the Smallville show, and I could very well have seen older Tom Welling and Erica Durance back as Clark and Lois, but now with kids. And then this would be the continuation to Smallville we never got.

But again, even with that, I'm not sure I want to see a retread of familiar territory.

Was that the cameo with Tom Welling as older Clark back on the farm?

Yeah, basically when I saw that I was like what the hell. Turns out Lois and Clark moving to the farm was the premise of this show. I forget if the Smallville L&C in the elseworld version had kids or not

Yeah, basically when I saw that I was like what the hell. Turns out Lois and Clark moving to the farm was the premise of this show. I forget if the Smallville L&C in the elseworld version had kids or not

They have two daughters.

Some parts were great but the family issues, the 'you are a bad father' moody teenager thing ruined it for me. It's just way overdone at this point. Just like Cheetah's characterization in WW84, it's just cliché after cliché after cliché.

The villain reminded me of Reb Brown's Robowar movie.

Tried hard to like it, I really did, as I just love Superman. I'll give episode 2 a shot but I don't see things improving that much.

So the kryptonite didn't really do anything huh...

I liked the episode and start to this new show. Yet, at the same time, a part of me also felt a bit bored.

It's like - I've already seen this with the Smallville show, but now instead of Clark/Lana it's their kids in similar roles. Except I'm invested and interested in Clark/Superman, not these kids.

And that's my biggest worry/fear. That the focus on the kids is going to overshadow Superman, while retreading essentially familiar territory, with triple the teenage angst.

Doesn't help that one of the main conflicts is going to be about banks and financial stuff, from what we can tell. I really don't need that boring stuff in a show about Superman lol.
Some parts were great but the family issues, the 'you are a bad father' moody teenager thing ruined it for me. It's just way overdone at this point. Just like Cheetah's characterization in WW84, it's just cliché after cliché after cliché.

The villain reminded me of Reb Brown's Robowar movie.

Tried hard to like it, I really did, as I just love Superman. I'll give episode 2 a shot but I don't see things improving that much.
There are things I liked and don't like. For one, I like that Jonathan didn't go the jealous brother route like I feared.

However, after reading the early Super Sons and Rebirth, 2 angsty teens just seems more annoying than cute tween who is amazed at his powers and wants to be like his dad.

They had 2 daughters and he retired from being Superman/gave up his powers.

This Clark is navigating through family and heroics

Very strong pilot. Yes, the teens annoyed me too and quite honestly the actors they got are not...great. But im hoping we’ll just get used to them and they wont be SO angsty going forward.

Hoechlin and Tulloch nail Lois and Clark though and their dynamic. Personally this show tickles my fancy because I’ve always been interested in seeing superheroes juggle married and family life and thats always been something the comic books-both Marvel and DC— have always been afraid of (see Spiderman). So its nice to see the Man of Steel knocked down a few pegs and learn to tackle real life challenges.

I’m all in for this series if the quality keeps up to par.

I just watched this and I actually really enjoyed it! All the good things everyone has been saying about the show are true. There are some issues (although it was tolerable, I have literally no interest in seeing the teen drama play out; the muscle suit on Superman looks really bad in some shots; Tulloch is still only serviceable in the role; and I hate that Clark doesn't appear to have any actual interest in journalism and is content to just work on the farm), but overall, I think it's one of the best pilots I've seen in years. Very much looking forward to seeing how things play out. It's exciting to see my favorite character starring in something worthwhile again.

The best compliment I can give the series so far? The boys were well-cast and didn't annoy me even once! I actually sympathized with Jordan, who I was certain I'd hate after reading the script.

Very strong pilot. Yes, the teens annoyed me too and quite honestly the actors they got are not...great. But im hoping we’ll just get used to them and they wont be SO angsty going forward.

Hoechlin and Tulloch nail Lois and Clark though and their dynamic. Personally this show tickles my fancy because I’ve always been interested in seeing superheroes juggle married and family life and thats always been something the comic books-both Marvel and DC— have always been afraid of (see Spiderman). So its nice to see the Man of Steel knocked down a few pegs and learn to tackle real life challenges.

I’m all in for this series if the quality keeps up to par.
They don't touch on married and family life obviously because it would break the fantasy that the readers have. Being tied down is boring apparently.

I’m cautiously optimistic about this show. I really enjoyed the pilot and do like the aesthetic and atmosphere of the show. Clearly MOS inspired. The production was good...too good for a CW show. I don’t know if it’s just because it’s the first episode or if this is something that we’ll see consistently over the course of the show. I’m glad there were no references to other Arrowverse shows too. I definitely don’t care for the teen angst though. Hope that’s kept to a minimum but probably won’t be.

Forgot this was on last night; I have to check it out. It sounds like what I was expecting; that Superman and Lois are great and that the teens are annoying. Makes me wonder why they went that route; I know they want to appeal to Gen Z but it’s not like Hoechlin or Tulloch are old. Still, glad to hear that it’s good overall.

They don't touch on married and family life obviously because it would break the fantasy that the readers have. Being tied down is boring apparently.

Not to make this about Spiderman, but as a 90s kid i always loved reading about how Spidey had to juggle being a superhero and coming home safely to his Mary Jane (who at the time was pregnant before the comics retconned it). In my opinion thats very compelling material to play with, a superhero juggling being a superhero and being a husband and father.

I expect they'll reveal Jonathan to be gay. It would be strange for the show to not have a gay character in the group of protagonists, and he's the only one who hasn't shown a romantic interest in the opposite sex. I think we're meant to assume that his video call was with his girlfriend, but nothing in their speech or actions confirmed a romantic relationship.

[Flash quietly tries to hide in the corner...]

Anyway, just finished it. Good stuff. I love the family stuff going on with it. The main four did a great job of acting and creating a realistic family dynamic. Jonathan and Jordan are believable brothers. Frankly, I am more interested in the family drama than the superheroics. My only desire it to continue to wish for a full Kent/Danvers Thanksgiving episode someday...

The production design is pretty good. Those are some great sets, that aren't obvious sets like the other CW shows. I just wish they weren't using the filter they were. Sure, it looks more "cinematic", but I'm not a fan of washing out the colors. The music was good, but got a little overbearing at times. And I hate the muscle suit.

I don’t know how to read ratings. Are those numbers good?

They are good, most CW shows nowadays dont get above 1.1/.3. It's just disappointing (for me) when compared to Walker, esp considering the promotion/budget they seem to have given this show.

I think its been brought up but they made a big deviation from Clarks, Supergirl origin to his new origin...he was already born and a baby Pre-COIE and now he seems to have been born once he landed on Earth, with the pod as a kind of incubator. I wonder if they'll even address the change should they have Kara talk about her baby cousin once Supergirl returns.

Last edited:
EvBTDHlVEAA3fiA

Preliminary ratings:
1.7/.3

Far cry from Walkers 2.4/.4 debut.
It adjusts up to a .4 (.37) in the demo. Exact same demo as Walker's premiere. So not so far a cry. Walker skews older which we already knew (that show skews hella old for CW), so the viewership was higher. These numbers are very good. :up: If it holds better than Walker did, as that one has had a massive decline since it’s premiere, it could easily be the top-rated show on the network. But All-American could be the real one to beat, as that one’s already overtaken Walker in season averages. What a cool success story that show has been. It started so low and just keeps gaining. That’s such a rare thing these days.

Can’t wait to see S&L’s delayed viewing numbers. I suspect they will be quite strong as well.

I just finished watching the Pilot on The CW site, I really enjoyed it.

I'm not a big follower on the Arrowverse, Pre-Crisis/Post-Crisis stuff, but I like this story so far. The key element here is family and the actors playing Supes and Lois have chemistry, and the twins journey should be fun (minus the teen angst stuff). My only gripe is that they have this set in Smallville; why not explore Metropolis some more after giving us a show set in Smallville for ten years? But I digress.

Loved the tugging at the heart strings with killing off Ma Kent (Hoechlin nailed that), loved the confrontation between the twins and Supes/Lois when they discovered the truth ("You may have been sent here to be a hero, but you weren't sent here to be a father!" STUNG. I loved that line) and obviously the special effects on this show is pretty damn good.

This is some good stuff here, I'll be back for episode 2.

Last edited:
And I felt like they've been gradually making Mr. Luthor black for a few years now. In Young Justice I just thought he was light skinned.
latest

But welcome to the brotherhood, Captain Luthor. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"