Season 1, Episode 5: "The Best of Smallville" (SPOILERS)

LL2K2

Maid of Might
Reaction score
(Note: This episode was originally titled "The Beacon.")

HOME – As Smallville celebrates its first Harvest Festival since Martha’s passing, Clark (Tyler Hoechlin) is reminded what his mother meant to him and learns a lesson that will help him move past her death. Meanwhile, Lois (Elizabeth Tulloch) makes a breakthrough in the investigation of Morgan Edge (Adam Rayner). Lastly, Kyle (Erik Valdez) tries to reconnect with Lana (Emmanuelle Chriqui), but it seems like he might be falling back into his old ways. Dylan Walsh, Jordan Elsass and Alex Garfin also star. (#105). The episode was directed by Rachel Talalay with story by Todd Helbing and teleplay by Brent Fletcher and Nadria Tucker. Original airdate 3/23/2021.

Well it's not a proper Smallville-based show without a Harvest Festival episode, lol. Even Lois & Clark's first Smallville-set episode was the Harvest Festival. I guess TV has decided that's just Smallville's thing. :funny:

Bitsie mentioned in an interview that this episode is the beginning of some big stuff for Lois.

Well it's not a proper Smallville-based show without a Harvest Festival episode, lol. Even Lois & Clark's first Smallville-set episode was the Harvest Festival. I guess TV has decided that's just Smallville's thing. :funny:

Bitsie mentioned in an interview that this episode is the beginning of some big stuff for Lois.

The Lois and Clark one was when Clark lost his powers, right? That was one of my favourite episodes from Season 1. I think Clark still had a fight with someone while only having Clark strength and still managed to win. He wasn't a complete nerd or weed but still had natural strength and toughness.

I don't think Christopher Reeve's unpowered Clark would've been able to do that. Hoechlin's Clark probably could hold his own though, and certainly Cavill's Clark. Obviously Welling's Clark too.

The Lois and Clark one was when Clark lost his powers, right? That was one of my favourite episodes from Season 1. I think Clark still had a fight with someone while only having Clark strength and still managed to win. He wasn't a complete nerd or weed but still had natural strength and toughness.

I don't think Christopher Reeve's unpowered Clark would've been able to do that. Hoechlin's Clark probably could hold his own though, and certainly Cavill's Clark. Obviously Welling's Clark too.
Yeah it was the episode where they first introduced Kryptonite, so he was powerless for a good portion of it.

When I saw the title, I thought it was going to be another behind the scenes documentary like the BTS special during the premiere.

I suspect we'll see alot of flashback to Clark's time in Smallville, maybe even some featuring Jonathan and Martha raising him in how to control his abilities.

Maybe they'll flash back to the Smallville TV show and then Hoechlin's Clark will wonder why he's remembering the life of a man who is not him. Maybe he'll have to go to mars to see if he can recall things correctly.

I have a feeling we might not see a lot of Superman in this episode for some reason.

Wow Clark's a geek about the Harvest festival, looks like Edge is weaponizing citizens with metahuman abilities .

I feel bad for Jonathan who keeps has to sacrifice his life for the sake of his brother.

So Captain Luthor is tailing Lois to find Superman .

Last edited:
About time Jonathan was the one lashing out, lol.

That was unusual, seems that whatever technology Edge is using to resurrect people is unstable and definitely dangerous.

Getting IM3 vibes from these super people. Also, anybody else getting the feeling "Captain Luthor" is not actually any version of Lex Luthor?

Welp, there goes my "he's from this world's future" theory.

Oh snap! E? Lois was a Lois Luthor!

Getting IM3 vibes from these super people. Also, anybody else getting the feeling "Captain Luthor" is not actually any version of Lex Luthor?

I have a feeling he's supposed to be a version of Alexander Luthor?

Annnddd now the long hiatus begins. Oy vey.

Damn just when things seemed to be getting really interesting towards the end we now have to wait almost two months for the next episode.

This hiatus is going to be painful, but atleast it looks like this show is finally starting to hit its groove in terms of where the story is actually going.

I wasn't expecting that Lois/Luthor connection at all, but I guess it makes sense as to why he has such a personal vendetta against Supes in the first place.

Probably my least favorite episode of the season so far. The stuff with Edge resurrecting people just reminds me of the Cadmus storyline on Supergirl, but I did find Chrissy taking after Lois interesting and my favorite parts of this episode were the flashbacks to Clark and Martha Kent.

You could see some of that CW CGI starting to stand out in this episode too. The fire/freeze breath looked...off and the flight/fight was really dark and hard to make out.

Gonna be a long hiatus. Hopefully Supergirl has a strong start to season 6 in the meantime.

The Lois. General Lane, Lex, and Superman dynamic got a lot more interesting.

I am disappointed this episode of the Smallville Harvest Festival didn't show the Miss Sweet Corn Pageant

Probably my least favorite episode, though it certainly wasn't bad.

I liked getting Martha/Clark flashbacks, but I'm gonna have to get used to that kid playing young Clark if we're gonna get more of those. He just feels really miscast to me.

This episode made me realize how attached I've gotten to Chrissy, because I was really worried she was gonna bite the dust there for a minute.

Definitely did NOT see that Lois/Luthor thing coming! Explains why he was so close with General Lane. That must be what Bitsie was really excited about that she said was gonna be introduced this episode. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

I have a feeling he's supposed to be a version of Alexander Luthor?
That was what I'd been assuming since we first met him, but now I'm not so sure. Though they definitely shot down my "he's really from the future instead of a parallel Earth" theory tonight. Still, a part of me thinks Helbing is gonna pull something similar to his Harrison Wells/Reverse Flash switcheroo in Flash S1. I can't back it up, it's just a nagging feeling, lol.

Captain Luthor must be from Earth-3. Since Superman is evil and Captain Luthor and Lois are married, this evil Superman must be running the Crime Syndicate.

Also, before this episode I really thought Luthor would be working with Edge, but now I don't think that's the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"