Season 1, Episode 1: "Pilot" (SPOILERS)

Finally watched it and I was impressed by the quality. Lois and Clark were great, Superman's powers were displayed well, but I second what a lot of others were saying in the kids being the weak link. Wanted to like them, but dragged down the pilot in a lot of ways for me.

I think a lot of us speculated Wolé Parks was Lex. Thought he did okay in the small scene time he had, but I think I'll miss Jon Cryer.

I'm glad it seems to be disconnected from the Arrowverse. I hope that stays the same, personally.

I'm also guessing this is supposed to take place years after Superman first appeared on Supergirl?

I'm also guessing this is supposed to take place years after Superman first appeared on Supergirl?

Well, it's been five or so years (real-time). But because of Crisis shenanigans, you can't really trace the chronology anymore. ;nd

Well, it's been five or so years (real-time). But because of Crisis shenanigans, you can't really trace the chronology anymore. ;nd
Lois was just pregnant during the first crossover though, so the twins being 14 already is a little weird, lol.

And, I know how OCD nerds can be, but I hope the Crisis changes are never mentioned. The family dynamic is too perfect to add that bit of needless drama.

And, I know how OCD nerds can be, but I hope the Crisis changes are never mentioned. The family dynamic is too perfect to add that bit of needless drama.
Agreed. Just let this be the reality all the characters know now, and leave it at that. Though given the villain's likely origins, I think Crisis WILL still have to be acknowledged. But they can still be vague about it.

I'm completely fine with things how they are. I like that they didn't mention or allude to any of the other CW shows and it feels like its own thing. Hopefully it stays that way.

I'm completely fine with things how they are. I like that they didn't mention or allude to any of the other CW shows and it feels like its own thing. Hopefully it stays that way.
I'll be extremely disappointed if they ignore Kara's existence, but I could take or leave everybody else.

Had a lot to do around the house yesterday, so I couldn't start watching until the wee hours of this morning. Anyhow, here are my brief thoughts on the season opener. Really good casting for the most part. You know how people say it takes a certain type of actor to wear the suit and not look silly in it? Well, I think that applies to the Superman character in general if that makes any sense. As a performer, you can't just dive into his altruistic sensibilities w/ reckless abandon; there's a certain finesse that's called for. If you get that right, it not only ups the earnestness and likeability factor but also lightly ameliorates the "cheese" factor without downright nullifying it. Because unless you're taking the deconstructionist approach, you really don't want to do that with this character. For Superman, a little cheese is generally a good thing! And, fortunately for us, Tyler seems more than capable in that regard.

Bitsie has a similar, albeit subtly different task in conveying Lois's no-nonsense drive, but also her warmth and accessibility; and so far, she hasn't disappointed. It's not at all hard to see why the showrunners went with her for the part. And I keep saying this, but she has such a great dynamic with Tyler. I suppose it helps that they seem to have just as much chemistry off-screen. Hopefully, we'll get more flashbacks to the early days of their relationship, as the "first meeting" scene was a personal highlight in an episode full of them. (That beautiful homage to Action Comics #1 being another!) And do Tyler and Bitsie look like they stepped right off the page or what??

Moving on to the super sons, Elsass and Garfin are both more than serviceable in their respective roles. The angsty approach to Jordan could stand to be toned down a notch, but he is a teen after all. Hence, some of those dramatics are to be expected. Either way, I'm fine with it.

Chriqui's Lana didn't impress all that much if I'm being honest. Valdez, on the other hand, was rather convincing in his portrayal of a small-town family man whose contempt for liberal politics and college-educated urbanites perhaps blinds him to the threat a man like Tru... ahem, Morgan Edge poses to Smallville. There's likely to be a good bit of struggling with him, ethically speaking, over the course of the series, I'd imagine.

Plotwise, there isn't a whole lot to sink your teeth into at the moment, but here's hoping that changes with future episodes. Another wish would be for Superman's rogues' gallery to prove a little more complex than your typical moustache-twirling villains. Lex, in particular, needs to be utilized better than he was here.

All in all, the show's off to a good start. Bring on Episode Two!

Agreed. Just let this bet he reality all the characters know now, and leave it at that. Though given the villain's likely origins, I think Crisis WILL still have to be acknowledged. But they can still be vague about it.

Just like with pretty much everything DC is doing nowadays i really dont care about the continuity. If this setup is what the writers wanted to tell the best story for these characters I really could care less how this matches up with Supergirl or anything else Arrow verse related. Let this be its own thing.

Agreed. Just let this bet he reality all the characters know now, and leave it at that. Though given the villain's likely origins, I think Crisis WILL still have to be acknowledged. But they can still be vague about it.

The showrunner has stated that we'll get his origin so it 100% will.

Agreed. Just let this be the reality all the characters know now, and leave it at that. Though given the villain's likely origins, I think Crisis WILL still have to be acknowledged. But they can still be vague about it.

I just fear people want to use Crises as an excuse for Clark not being the perfect dad.

Just one little thing I had to laugh at.

The scene when the boys confront Lois and Clark about him being Superman, I had to chuckle at the fact that all it took was Clark simply taking off his glasses and picking up a car to prove himself.

Granted this is Supes and his paper thin disguise, but that really made me laugh. Love the scene though.

Watched the episode via iTunes last night. Loved it. I think my interest has grown for Jordan and Jonathan and even Sarah, none of whom I expected to like. So only Jordan has powers? I like that he has social anxiety disorder. It makes him relatable and Superman relatable. Also, I thought all the acting was good, particularly the kids.

I like that this series feels less like a CW show. The cinematography looked great. Does look more like a film. I wouldn't mind seeing other heroes appear as long as they keep it more grounded, but for now I like that the central focus is just on Superman's world and not the entire Arrowverse. In some of the earlier MCU solo films, whenever I heard a reference to another hero, it often took me out of the story. I would like to see Kara appear at some point, albeit without the traditional corniness of the CW though. That being said, I hope the CW can get away from the silliness and soap opera, love triangles, because so far, I'm liking the tone and it appears (or I'd like to think) that there will be no triangle between Clark, Lois and Lana.

The visual effects were amazing. Loved the opening scene. As well as the chase flight scene with The Stranger--though initially, I found it hard to watch with the shaky camera. I kind of wanted to see better. I hope this show can move to HBO Max at some point. This episode was only about an hour, excluding the commercials. Good enough, it took its time to develop the pilot. Honestly, I think this show deserves a full-hour run per episode, which is why I'm hoping it could move to HBO Max. Sometimes the pacing can be rushed in typical TV shows, since it's limited to only 42 minutes.

If there's one thing I hope they keep the same in this post-Crisis event, it's the Fortress of Solitude--if there was one thing I liked about Supergirl, it was the interior design of the Fortress of Solitude. Although, I think they could lighten up inside as it is dark and gloomy.

A bonus from me though for having Superman fly over to Shanghai, still, the unsteady camera made it hard to focus.

I don't know what else to add, but I will watch it again. Looking forward to what this show possibly brings.

The scene when the boys confront Lois and Clark about him being Superman, I had to chuckle at the fact that all it took was Clark simply taking off his glasses and picking up a car to prove himself.

Granted this is Supes and his paper thin disguise, but that really made me laugh. Love the scene though.
Yeah, I really thought that line from the trailer "we've seen Superman" was gonna be expanded upon in the actual episode, to suggest they had all seen Superman together, as in, while Clark was standing right next to them. Implying an instance where someone (like J'onn J'onzz) had doubled as Superman in front of them once or something. But nope, it was just "we've seen him." ....And? He didn't look familiar? :funny:

One thing in TV Land that's bugged me for as long as I can remember is the tendency for kids to dart off at funerals (much like young Clark does in a flashback.) lol

No one does this, Hollywood! :argh:

I'll be extremely disappointed if they ignore Kara's existence, but I could take or leave everybody else.

Agreed. Story wise, she should have at least been present for Martha's funeral. Plus, I don't see why General Lane couldn't try asking Kara for help if Clark is unavailable.

So only Jordan has powers?

[...]

I hope the CW can get away from the silliness and soap opera

Imagine one of the twins stolen at birth, replaced with a human infant, and raised in secret by Cadmus to be a hostage with a backup role as the ultimate anti-Superman weapon. It's a bunch of tropes, but knowing how people react to real and imagined threats in the real world, I'd expect something like this to happen in a realistic superhero setting.

Agreed. Story wise, she should have at least been present for Martha's funeral. Plus, I don't see why General Lane couldn't try asking Kara for help if Clark is unavailable.
Well they can explain the General Lane thing simply by him not having the relationship with Kara that he's been forced to have with Clark. And that would even line up with her show as they did not get along at all, and she's pretty much sworn off all her government ties at this point. I'm just more interested in it from the "family" front. This show's focus is family, and Kara is a part of that in Superman's life. Ignoring her in stories set early on in Superman's career is fine - you can always just say it's before she arrived - but for an established Superman who's been around this long, ignoring Supergirl's existence becomes downright disrespectful to me, ESPECIALLY in this instance, since her show is literally his parent show.

The only thing that bothers me about using the John Byrne story on Kal-El's arrival to Earth is that Jor-El and Lara didn't get the chance to know their son as a baby, even for just a few weeks before launching him into the rocket before Krypton's destruction.

Depending on how closely this show aligns with The Man of Steel (1986), there might not be a Kara Zor-El.
No thanks. Erasing Kara from continuity was disrespectful back then, and it's especially disrespectful now, imo, given that Tyler was literally cast to be her Superman.

The "Legacy of Hope" special emphasized the Arrowverse and how, while this is the start of a new era for it, it's still "part of the collective," so hopefully they'll get around to at least referencing/acknowledging her. Bitsie said in that little featurette that they released a few days ago that she wants Melissa to guest star, so I'm hopeful they at least expect her to exist in this universe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"