• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

The Superhero Cinematic Civil War

I personally knew Apocalypse was doomed when he was in the movie looking like a blue version of this:

IMG_0577.gif

Then they miscast Storm and don’t even call her Ororo (don’t get me started on the hair), missed the opportunity to have Magneto know about Quicksilver, waste the Nightcrawler and Mystique connection…. Ugh.

But missed opportunities was the Foxverse’s raison d’etre.

By all means, he can produce to his heart's content but keep him away from the script and the director's chair.

Though I will say I'm shocked that he was the only writer on Days of Future Past because for my money that's second only to First Class as the best X-Men movie.

Matthew Vaughn and Jane Goldman wrote a treatment for the film (which they get “story by” credit with Kinberg) that Kinberg turned into the final shooting script. He had a solid outline to work with.

It would not surprise me if Lesslie’s initial involvement with the X-men reboot ends up with a “story by” credit and someone else like Eric Pearson (or a fan of “X-Men ‘97”) gets final writing credit.

Before the panic starts, I will bet cold hard cash that he won't be the only writer on it. Maybe not even the final writer either.
Not that Marvel "writers" really do anything besides just being a name, but I feel like this is a bad thing. If he aint going to be the final writer, then they're just wasting time developing something that isn't going to work which just spells trouble. Reworking a bad project shouldn't be something they aim to do.

Seriously, Star Trek to get me interested again would need an A-list director who makes actual good movies. The franchise has just been uninteresting for a long time for me at this point. Short of scoring some big name director of repute, reviews will have to be amazing to win me back.

Simon Kinberg doesn't fit that bill lol
Kinberg doesn’t fit any bill.

Rebooting with Kirk and crew again would be a big mistake. We've seen that. Either do a whole new crew or reboot the Next Gen crew.
I really liked the Star Trek reboot and loved the cast. I was hoping they would be the crew for the next few decades! :csad: A shame the momentum all died off. But going forward, rebooting them again would be dumb. I would be up for a Next gen reboot though.

I really liked the Star Trek reboot and loved the cast. I was hoping they would be the crew for the next few decades! :csad: A shame the momentum all died off. But going forward, rebooting them again would be dumb. I would be up for a Next gen reboot though.
I thought the third film was really good too! They just never could get things together to make a fourth.

It’s just disappointing with X-Men, because you guys know how I feel about them. And the choice they’re making by going with a non-POC writer considering the climate we’re in when the mutants and their themes are as timely as ever really gives me pause.

You had one job K.E.V.I.N. and Beau DeMayo is literally right there. I highly doubt this Michael Lesslie will give us something as iconic as “Milky Way Ghetto”.

I thought the third film was really good too! They just never could get things together to make a fourth.
I don’t know why they waited so long. They had the ingredients for a great future if the cast were up for it. I mentioned in the threads a few times but I was looking forward to them ageing into ST veterans over a large number of films having seen them start off young. Quinto Spock was my favourite.

Somehow, I don't think the guy who got fired for undisclosed reasons is at the top of their list.

But that same guy did more in ten episodes for one of their properties than the movies did and had social media buzzing.

If his problems were fixable, then they should reconsider and look at what they had.

But that same guy did more in ten episodes for one of their properties than the movies did and had social media buzzing.

If his problems were fixable, then they should reconsider and look at what they had.
If it was abuse, which it sounds like it probably was, who gives a s*** that he made some good TV eps??? :huh:

If it was abuse, which it sounds like it probably was, who gives a s*** that he made some good TV eps??? :huh:
Maybe we are reading too much into this, but it sounds to be more serious than significant creative differences ala the Salkinds/Richard Donner. I am curious as to the full story when or if it comes out.

The fact that they weren't willing to wait an extra, what two weeks(?), for the show to premier before making a decision on DeMayo says all I need to know. None of the corporations get rid of people publically if they don't have. Marvel still hasn't acknowledged Jonathan Majors for christ sake.

The fact the show went over well is arguably the most damning thing. If it was something that could be brushed off, you'd think they'd be on their knees.
Well, they wouldn't be the first executives to not understand what they have. But if that were the case and not something behavioral, you would think they'd be begging him to come back.

Is that a recent development? I just heard it was him getting naked on OF.
There's absolutely no way that was it. Come on now. Rarely has a company acted that swiftly on a creative. And let's not forget he was already the reportedly abusive writer fired from The Witcher before this.

The fact that they weren't willing to wait an extra, what two weeks(?), for the show to premier before making a decision on DeMayo says all I need to know. None of the corporations get rid of people publically if they don't have. Marvel still hasn't acknowledged Jonathan Majors for christ sake.

They also fired James Gunn immediately and begged him to come back.

Plus was given keys to the whole DC Studios kingdom after we actually saw the depraved things he said about children disguised as "jokes".

But this is the same Hollywood that rewarded Bryan Singer, so there's that.

Yeah, its not like nostalgia is something easy to exploit in comic book nerds. Not like everyone here is praising an unreleased movie that is looking to make the CW Crisis cameos look significant.

My big issue with DeMayo is that listening to some of his comments, is that he not someone I would really like on the main X property. He decries nostalgia, and yet, his view of the 90s for a wide variety of minorities is extremely tinged in nostalgia. Yes, I do have a big issue with doing the Genosha story. It started a cycle of 20 years of mutant pain and extinction. I get it is all well done and everyone is enjoying it. And trust me, it bums on me to not be eager to watch it. But I do not exactly trust him to no go to the "mutant extinction well".

And yes, I am still upset about Maddie. Sue me. Vita Aylala made me love a c list character.

An event that was entirely public, happened years before GOTG Vol.3 started production, and in that time Gunn made a whole other film where things died down. So, not exactly and apples to apples comparison.

It's not like they didn't know about Gunn's tweets before. They only fired him when they went viral and he became a PR nightmare for them. The fact that they fired DeMayo without any of that happening and continue to keep a lid on it speaks VOLUMES imo. Whatever he did, it's worse. Without a doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"