House of the Dragon Season 1, Episode 7: "Driftmark"

I actually love the design of Vhagar because of how unique it is compared to all the past dragon designs we've seen on this show as well as GOT not to mention the size of it which is just immense and intimidating asf.

This show does a great job really showing off the scale of the dragons.

I was sitting outside on my iPad Pro 11 and had the screen maxed out… still couldn’t see ****.

I'm glad my tv has Dolby Vision because I had zero problem seeing the episode.

I was sitting outside on my iPad Pro 11 and had the screen maxed out… still couldn’t see ****.

When this scene came on, I cracked up. Because it was clearly one shot during the day (I feel like there were a bunch of promos from it during the day) and whatever they did to make it appear night, made it look far worse the nif they just shot it at night, with actual light sources. :funny:

When this scene came on, I cracked up. Because it was clearly one shot during the day (I feel like there were a bunch of promos from it during the day) and whatever they did to make it appear night, made it look far worse the nif they just shot it at night, with actual light sources. :funny:
What's sad is how they did this better in the late 60's and early 70's with OHMSS or Jaws... it's not hard. Hell, look what Peele did with NOPE // and Nope's budget is like 1/4th of an episode of HOTD.

Some unintentionally funny parts for me:

- Aegon's "Me?" reaction when Aemond threw him under the bus.
- Alicent's "That will not be necessary" when Larys asked her if she wants an eye to balance the scales. Also, how she is SO careful now with what words to say to him. :lmao:

I'm annoyed they didn't show Helaena claiming Dreamfrye. It took me a while to figure out why Team Green had 3 dragons flying with them.

I'm sure anyone from a large family can relate, lol. :p

I, especially, love how they were all talking at the same time at one point. It's very realistic. Minus the... eye taking.

I'm glad the general masses are finally getting to see why Olivia Cooke has always been incredible.
I was a fan of her since Ready Player One. She was the best part of that movie but I still have to go back and check her out in Me and Earl and the Dying Girl and Sound of Metal in particular.

It was an intense episode that had me on the edge since I was spoiler free for once.

The Leonor of it all totally flew over my head as to what they will do with his dragon.

While i do love the show, im hating that these huge moments happen and are never addressed. First Sir Criston killing Joffrey and getting off scotch free, now 1 eyed brat taking a dragon from House V and all the adults are fine with it? No one has anything to say?

I was a fan of her since Ready Player One. She was the best part of that movie but I still have to go back and check her out in Me and Earl and the Dying Girl and Sound of Metal in particular.

Yeah for me it was seeing her in The Quiet Ones, The Signal, Ouija all in the same year when it came out, but it wasn't until the year after with Me and Earl and the Dying Girl that I knew she's gonna be really great.

It was an intense episode that had me on the edge since I was spoiler free for once.

The Leonor of it all totally flew over my head as to what they will do with his dragon.

While i do love the show, im hating that these huge moments happen and are never addressed. First Sir Criston killing Joffrey and getting off scotch free, now 1 eyed brat taking a dragon from House V and all the adults are fine with it? No one has anything to say?
Yeah what happens there I wonder? Would the dragon just follow him to Essos since it would sense that he's still alive?

As to Ser Criston getting away with literal murder, I'm inclined to believe that he was probably going to be punished in some way by the Kingsguard but Alicent pardoned him in a way that he also avoided being sent to the Night's Watch.

The show is well set up now for the final few episodes. I've not delved into spoilers so it should be very interesting what happens next.

This was a great episode and it's clear that the show is picking up the pace now that the big time jump is past. I'm glad it doesn't have to be at the expense of the quieter character moments though.

I've avoided reading the novel until I've at least gone through this first season so I didn't know about any change but I was slightly disappointed that they didn't just kill Laenor since it would just be a wonderfully ruthless turn. I guess I'm at least getting that in the read later.

Really enjoyed this episode. Everyone brought their A-game and the drama was impeccable *chef’s kiss*. Aemond’s flight with Vhagar was gorgeous. Olivia Cooke was great but I thought Emma D’Arcy and Eve Best also killed it. Was a little shocked by Rhaenyra’s brutality at the end but that turned out to be false. I do wonder what the consequences of that change from the books will be, if they even bring it up again.

Maybe they didn’t want to set Rhaenyra up as villain for now. There must be a good reason for the change as the scene was very effective without the walkback. Happy for Laenor as he totally didn’t deserve that!

What. An. Episode. I was glued to my seat for every single second. This season really has exceeded all my expectations. Oh and that dragon riding scene. Absolutely amazing. Way more realistic and tense than any we've seen in either shows. Love it!

One of the things I do not like with this show so far, is the romanticism of the Targs. I feel like the show thinks they are the "heroes" here, even as you know, they are the ones inbreeding leading to some predictable results and starting all the internal quarrying.

So far, the most "sympathetic" character, is Alicent. The woman just tells the truth repeatedly, and is continually told she's a liar and to shut up. Even by the "punk rock" Rhaenyra.
The greens were much more likeable this week and that's definitely a choice from the showrunners. I don't think the show has made it that black and white at all. It's just the people on Twitter who think that way. Last week I was rooting for Rhaenyra, this week I was mostly on Alicent's side. :D

Last edited:
The greens were much more likeable this week and that's definitely a choice from the showrunners. I don't think the show has made it that black and white at all. It's just the people on Twitter who think that way. Last week I was rooting for Rhaenyra, this week I was mostly on Alicent's side. :D
I'm actually responding to the attitude of the showrunners, who compared Alicent to a Trump supporter, while Miguel called Rhaenyra is "punk rock".

‘House of the Dragon’: Olivia Cooke’s Role Was Inspired by Trump | IndieWire

The “House of the Dragon” actress, who took over the role of Alicent Hightower from Emily Carey due to a series time jump, revealed that co-showrunners Miguel Sapochnik and Ryan Condal advised her to find inspiration from the disgraced former president. The series creators told Cooke to view the character Queen Alicent like a “woman for Trump.”

“I just didn’t want to give them any more mental real estate than they already had,” Cooke told Entertainment Weekly about calling back to the Trump family. “So I tried to find a different route into her, but I could see what they were saying with this complete indoctrination and denial of her own autonomy and rights. I just couldn’t be asked to go down that road.”

I love that Cooke was like, "I'm good". :funny:

Also, is the vibe you got, not that the Targs are going over huge? They made the inbreeding all romantic (look, they finally gave into their desires after nobly holding off), and then had them kindly send the gay man away, so he could live a free life across the sea. That didn't scream, "evens" here. Especially with Ameond being clearly painted as the bad guy (to be fair he is) and Alicent's defense of the truth being shown as a power grab by Rhaenyra, who is treated as if she's some sort of moral compass.

That's not the same as her being bad / the villain though. They're just talking about her lack of autonomy in the earlier parts of the season. That's exactly why it's now much easier to root for this character versus what little I've seen of her book counterpart. That's why I said the show chose to make her more likeable. :yay:
Being a Trump supporter in this context, is 100% being the villain. Also they were speaking to Cooke, not Carey. Which is relevant to the second half of the first season.

I'd refer you to the rest of my edit above for more.

The actress, in your quote, literally points out that it's about the lack of automony or rights. They saying (which I do think is a stupid thing to say politically) that women for Trump don't have those things. That doesn't make them the villains in this context of their because they aren't responsible for their lack of autonomy. Other people are. So no, that quote does not paint Alicent as a villain imo.
No. Cooke is point out that the idea was that women who support Trump give themselves over to a belief that is anti-woman. The lack of autonomy is what they support, even as it's a paradox. They are 100% villains in the context, because they give into the ideology.

As you can see by Cooke rejecting that route, it was something she did not think fit. That her framing of Alicent as someone bitter and twisted due to gender roles of the world stands in juxtaposition to what she was originally told to do, makes it fairly simple to read imo. It also places us in the mindset of the showrunners, who yes, see Alicent as a villain. Unless you think the two showrunners are pro or even neutral on Trump.

Definitely not. Rhaenyra has been making mistakes left and right, shown to be wreckless, disregarding politics and was much less likeable this week than last.
Jon Snow made mistakes all the time. Ned died do to a mistake. It's about the framing of the mistakes. Rhaenyra's actions are dressed in her being a rebel. "Punk rock" as Miguel Sapochnik put it. Who confirms my perception of the quotes here:

House Of The Dragon Is About ‘The Patriarchy’s Perception Of Women’ – Exclusive Image

Framing the series around Rhaenyra and Alicent was an idea that came from Alexis Raben – who, as well as being Sapochnik’s wife, is a development executive at his production company. “One day, she said, ‘This would be much more interesting if it was about the two main female characters, rather than the male characters,’” Sapochnik recalls. “‘If you really focused in on the patriarchy’s perception of women, and the fact that they’d rather destroy themselves than see a woman on the throne.’ That wasn’t a perspective I have ever told before. I think it made this show feel more contemporary too.” While the pair begin the show as friends, disruption in the kingdom finds them on opposite ends of an ideological spectrum when it comes to the patriarchal structure they’re trapped in. “We said, ‘What if Alicent is like “Women for Trump,” and Rhaenyra’s like punk rock?’” Anarchy in Westeros? Count us in.

The similarities and differences between Rhaenyra and Alicent, and the friction that causes, was a key factor for Emma D’Arcy taking on the role of the king’s daughter. “They grow up in the same backyard, which happens to be the royal court,” they explain. “But Alicent is better at conforming to the requirements of court manoeuvres, and Rhaenyra is humming with the fire of old Targaryenism. It’s like an ally that lives inside her, and she has to learn when to dampen that fire and when to trust it. She’s surrounded by a trail of ashes.” With so many dragons flying around, expect that trail of ashes to get even bigger.

Being a conformist in this context is being a villain. As Alicent would rather join the patriarchy as opposed to support another woman on her persuit of the Iron Throne.

Let's be real. There is no context where "Punk rock" vs. "Woman for Trump" isn't a dictomy of good v. evil, unless we are talking about Fox News or Ben Shapiro. Being the free spirit bashing your head against the glass ceiling trying to break it is heroic. Trying to keep it in place, is villainous.

They didn't shoot the uncle/niece ****ing scene like it was at the very least, a bad idea. They don't point out the years of grooming from Daemon. What they do is play it as romantic, as if it's okay, because Rhaenyra, being the woman and younger, has to "persuade" him. And the music does the rest.

I honestly think you're viewing this through your own perception rather than the one the show and showrunners offer, but it's not really useful to argue this. There is enough of that online already. Let's just both enjoy the show. :)

Other than that the Targaryens have more cool factor (dragons and a sword called Dark Sister? The others never had a chance) I don't think that any of the sides come off as much better than the other. Both are highly flawed, which is interesting.

Poor Viserys is weak but the best king we've seen in either show and everyone around him are just scheming and/or doing whatever the hell they want with little regard for the bigger picture. At least he had Lyonel Strong around for a decade.

Poor Viserys is weak but the best king we've seen in either show and everyone around him are just scheming and/or doing whatever the hell they want with little regard for the bigger picture. At least he had Lyonel Strong around for a decade.
Absolutely! One thing I also love is that him trying to avoid conflicts tends to just create more trouble in the end. :D

...I've avoided reading the novel until I've at least gone through this first season so I didn't know about any change but I was slightly disappointed that they didn't just kill Laenor since it would just be a wonderfully ruthless turn. I guess I'm at least getting that in the read later.

A few weeks back, the show got some pushback (in articles, social media) when they killed off Joffrey. I.e., they were deemed guilty of the “bury your gays” trope. Presumably, the writers were fully aware of this trope. And, presumably, they elected not to do it twice...? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"