House of the Dragon Season 1, Episode 7: "Driftmark"

Viserys is a kind man but he's absolutely terrible at being the king. I love how Aegon pretty much called him out that everyone knows that Rhaenrya's kids are not Laenor's and he's being purposely stupid. Anyway, I quite like how they're showing the difference between him and Rhaenys who is proving to be much smarter and astute than him but was denied the throne because she's a woman.

As for Leanor being alive, I think they did that so that Rhaenrya and Daemon wouldn't come off even worse and that their union would be portrayed as more ~romantic~. I mean, if you look at the social media reactions, it clearly worked. :D

That's an odd inspiration for the showrunners to draw from, especially since we already got the quintessential Trump-like figure of this universe in the last show:

200.gif

I honestly think you're viewing this through your own perception rather than the one the show and showrunners offer, but it's not really useful to argue this. There is enough of that online already. Let's just both enjoy the show. :)
I mean, the words are right there. From the showrunners and Cooke.

Other than that the Targaryens have more cool factor (dragons and a sword called Dark Sister? The others never had a chance) I don't think that any of the sides come off as much better than the other. Both are highly flawed, which is interesting.

Poor Viserys is weak but the best king we've seen in either show and everyone around him are just scheming and/or doing whatever the hell they want with little regard for the bigger picture. At least he had Lyonel Strong around for a decade.
Back to back episodes:

The Greens: Murder the Strongs.

The Blacks: Fake a murder, so the man can go off and live in peace.

Viserys is a kind man but he's absolutely terrible at being the king. I love how Aegon pretty much called him out that everyone knows that Rhaenrya's kids are not Laenor's and he's being purposely stupid. Anyway, I quite like how they're showing the difference between him and Rhaenys who is proving to be much smarter and astute than him but was denied the throne because she's a woman.

As for Leanor being alive, I think they did that so that Rhaenrya and Daemon wouldn't come off even worse and that their union would be portrayed as more ~romantic~. I mean, if you look at the social media reactions, it clearly worked. :D
And this is my point. You can say, "they are the same", and I'd agree. But the hand of the narrator is at work here. They are pushing one side as the good, and the other as the bad. Even as Alicent, is the one who keeps telling the truth. :funny:

Other than that the Targaryens have more cool factor (dragons and a sword called Dark Sister? The others never had a chance) I don't think that any of the sides come off as much better than the other. Both are highly flawed, which is interesting.

Poor Viserys is weak but the best king we've seen in either show and everyone around him are just scheming and/or doing whatever the hell they want with little regard for the bigger picture. At least he had Lyonel Strong around for a decade.
Viserys feels like the Ned Stark of this show. Even though he's also done some horrible things, his general character comes across as more likeable than most of the others.

Based on what we've seen on the shows this far he's still the best. He doesn't neglect his duties like Robert, he's not a sadistic psycho like Joffrey, and while he has more in common with Tommen he's not that stupid and gullible.

If people did what Viserys told them things would be fine. They won't though.

Back to back episodes:

The Blacks: Fake a murder, so the man can go off and live in peace.

The murder of the Strongs was due to a rogue play by Larys and not what Alicent asked for or wanted. She's of course embraced him by now but Daemon can basically still measure up to the other side on his own. Killing his wife because he was bored of her ranks pretty high.

Based on what we've seen on the shows this far he's still the best. He doesn't neglect his duties like Robert, he's not a sadistic psycho like Joffrey, and while he has more in common with Tommen he's not that stupid and gullible.

If people did what Viserys told them things would be fine. They won't though.
Haha, what great competition there is out there for best king. :funny:

Poor Tommen :csad:

Haha, what great competition there is out there for best king. :funny:

Poor Tommen :csad:

Indeed. While he's a good man he's not winning the title of best king solely on strong merits. :D Still, not screwing things up and having a mostly peaceful reign will benefit the realm.

Larys does, but who is the first person to condemn it? Alicent who looks absolutely mortified. "You passed judgement. Larys, I did not wish for this."

Her tone in this episode is a bit more harsh, but her son was just mutilated and her husband focused on perpetuating a lie instead of standing up for her.

Even then she doesn't tell Larys to do anything, despite having that power. In fact, they show how specifically she has to choose her words around him, which I found amusing. :D

I was a fan of her since Ready Player One. She was the best part of that movie but I still have to go back and check her out in Me and Earl and the Dying Girl and Sound of Metal in particular.
Oh wow, need to rewatch that now. Don’t think I knew who she was at the time I saw that.

Larys: Would you like to take an eye to balance the scale?
Alicent: That's not necessary.
*a day later*
*one of Rhaenrya's kids gets scorched*
Alicent: ...
Larys: You didn't say anything about burning...? *giggles*

The murder of the Strongs was due to a rogue play by Larys and not what Alicent asked for or wanted. She's of course embraced him by now but Daemon can basically still measure up to the other side on his own. Killing his wife because he was bored of her ranks pretty high.
High on what? The show still plays his relationship with his niece as true love, destiny. They spent 2 episodes repairing his image through him being a good husband to his second wife, and finding a way to spare Rhaenyra's. What is most important to his character is his relationship to Rhaenyra, and it is what is used most to color his character.

Each side is mostly represented by their leaders. Just because there were terrible people in the Night's Watch or among the Free Folk, didn't make them villains. Because they were lead by "heroes". Rhaenyra is seen as a hero, Alicent the villain. They made a big song and dance of revealing Ailcent to have had her "true nature" displayed to the world. As if Rhaenyra isn't the one in a glass house of lies. Then Alicent goes full heel turn by taking up the kinslayer.

I fully agree both sides are terrible. I just don't think the showrunners see Rhaenyra as anything but the hero here, while Alicent is her opposite. I mean the first 5 minutes of the show emphasized, and it has not wavered. When Alicent was lied to by Rhaenyra leading us to where we are, it has not reflected badly on Rhaenyra. Because we are suppose to be behind the idea of that it's her right to sit on the Iron Throne.

The show, for all it's attempts at grays (I just find most of the people unlikable), I do think it's setup is pretty simple. It's Starks vs. Lannisters again. It's honor vs. ambition.

Viserys feels like the Ned Stark of this show. Even though he's also done some horrible things, his general character comes across as more likeable than most of the others.
Nah, he's a coward. Which in part I get. He's dealing with a lot of family, and thus doing what is necessary is hard for him. He just wants to keep them safe and happy. But he knows what he's setup. What it meant when he decided to get with Alicent. His moments of clarity make it all the more glaring just how responsible he is.

I was not into the episode until the kid fight and the events after. That was the best of the series so far...then they will go ahead and age them up :/

Maybe they didn’t want to set Rhaenyra up as villain for now. There must be a good reason for the change as the scene was very effective without the walkback. Happy for Laenor as he totally didn’t deserve that!
I didn't expect them to kill him in the ploy to get married because they made arrangement when marriage happen. He has tried to play along and never really stepped on her toes much, he does not seem to want any power. He was sorry for how things turned out and wanted them to get what they want.

They made a big song and dance of revealing Ailcent to have had her "true nature" displayed to the world. As if Rhaenyra isn't the one in a glass house of lies.
The only crew commentary we've had on this scene so far is them talking about how Rhaenyra is goading Alicent into the outcome she wants. Once again, acknowledging Rhaenyra being in the wrong.

The show also spends considerable time on Viserys' denial, which justifies Alicent's outburst. Then they throw in the marriage scene at the end, just after the Velaryons believe they lost both their children, which only underlines how tactless that move was.

I didn't expect them to kill him in the ploy to get married because they madefa arrangement when marriage happen. He has tried to play along and never really stepped on her toes much, he does not seem to want any power. He was sorry for how things turned out and wanted them to get what they want.
True, but I didn't think once they mentioned he needed to die that they would think of a different option. He certainly hadn't caused any issues at all and could be easily talked around - it's only his family that suffers not knowing the truth.

The only crew commentary we've had on this scene so far is them talking about how Rhaenyra is goading Alicent into the outcome she wants. Once again, acknowledging Rhaenyra being in the wrong.

The show also spends considerable time on Viserys' denial, which justifies Alicent's outburst. Then they throw in the marriage scene at the end, just after the Velaryons believe they lost both their children, which only underlines how tactless that move was.
How does that make Rhaenyra wrong? She was looking for Alicent to "prove her right", which in context she does. As to Viserys' denials, I agree. But the problem is, the show makes a point of these incidents radicalizing the Trumper, while Rhaenyra the former anarchist, plays family, waiting to be put on the throne.

Also, the end clearly reflects well on them. They even aknowledge the hurt it would do his family and the burden it would give them. Hell, it might even work out poorly for them in terms of the upcoming fight. But they still willing did it in a manner, that set the man free. The last shot of the episode wasn't a sad pair of parents. It was a gay black man freed. And who freed him?

I loved Aemond claiming Vhagar. They really nailed that scene and the kid playing Young Aemond was amazing. This episode would have definitely worked more if we'd gotten one more week spent in this timeslot, because the emotional payoff of Harwyn and Laena's deaths + Laenor's fate just isn't what it should be when we barely knew them. Same with the dynamic between the princes.

I can't get over how many people are still blanket defending the Greens and demonizing Alicent this week. Like, Rhaenyra's kids STARTED the fight, ESCALATED the fight and caused the only serious injury, yet they face no consequences, not even a condemnation from the king, who is more concerned with maintaining the security of Rhaenyra's lies. How do people seriously expect Alicent to take all this and just roll over, never fighting back?

Larys: Would you like to take an eye to balance the scale?
Alicent: That's not necessary.
*a day later*
*one of Rhaenrya's kids gets scorched*
Alicent: ...
Larys: You didn't say anything about burning...? *giggles*
Hee hee..... :p

Anyone noticed Daemon not intervening until it was Rhaenrya and her kids that was going to be harmed?

This was kinda funny:

For context, Olivia is in the latest Savage x Fenty campaign, hence the tweet from them (I’d like to think Rihanna might’ve stuck a friendship with Olivia from Bates Motel?)

Last edited:

Eh, killing off two gay characters would have definitely looked bad tho.

I loved Aemond claiming Vhagar. They really nailed that scene and the kid playing Young Aemond was amazing. This episode would have definitely worked more if we'd gotten one more week spent in this timeslot, because the emotional payoff of Harwyn and Laena's deaths + Laenor's fate just isn't what it should be when we barely knew them. Same with the dynamic between the princes.

I can't get over how many people are still blanket defending the Greens and demonizing Alicent this week. Like, Rhaenyra's kids STARTED the fight, ESCALATED the fight and caused the only serious injury, yet they face no consequences, not even a condemnation from the king, who is more concerned with maintaining the security of Rhaenyra's lies. How do people seriously expect Alicent to take all this and just roll over, never fighting back?
Aemond was talking **** to a grieving kid. Cry me a river.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"