WandaVision Spoilers!: Evan Peters

It's not the same as the Mandarin twist. In Iron Man 3 Ben Kingsley was presented as the Mandarin and nothing else for the first part of the film. There was no question mark about it. Then they suddenly threw in a twist when it wasn't even supposed to be a mystery type film.

In WandaVision it was always a mystery story. We knew it wasn't MCU Pietro but we weren't sure who he could be. They never presented him as MCU Pietro. Peters was someone who might be an imposter, or an alternate version of Pietro or someone else entirely. He was never specified to be Fox Quicksilver in the way IM3 specified Kingsley to be the Mandarin and then made a switch. It was always a case of "you'll have to wait and see who Evan Peters really is".

It was fans who wanted it to be Fox Quicksilver but Marvel never once specified he definitely was in the same way as the Mandarin. Now if, after 9 episodes they revealed that Wanda wasn't Wanda at all all this time but an actress named Martha Marcy May, then that would've been a Mandarin type twist.

Last edited:
Not disappointed that he turned out to be a random Westview citizen.

Disappointed that he was just used for an unfunny punchline which feels like such a slap in the face, and the fact that so many people brush this legitimate criticism aside baffles me. But I know that's a phenomenally unpopular opinion on here in which so many will try to say I'm overreacting, so I'll refrain from discussing it here.
Why would you say it's overreacting? This fakeout was clearly very polarizing so I think you're being rational to have said what you did.
In these murder mysteries, particularly those by Agatha Christie, there are lots of red herrings and people who seem like they're suspects or significant to both the audience and the detective. They're designed to mislead the audience down a particular path. Sometimes they even cast actors against type. Typical villains turn out to be heroes and vice versa, and some are completely insignificant. There are always twists and turns.

Now all of these stunt castings or red herrings could be seen as trolling the audience, but the audience realise at the end of the story that it's all part and parcel of the mystery genre and people don't complain they were mislead.

Well that's what they've done here. In addition to being a sitcom, this is also a mystery. It's been described in several places as a puzzle box mystery. So all these red herrings designed to deliberately mislead the audience are part of the genre. And that includes Fietro.
There are two sides to the misleading this show has done, one was the show itself misleading the storyteller with something has nothing to do with the MCU (Fox Quicksilver), and the other is the actual story being told which is Agatha misleading Wanda. The former is what ruined part of the show for me. The show, the studio, the director, all made sure that the audience understood that this stranger at the door was Peter Maximoff from a different universe. But Agatha the antagonist and Wanda the protagonist on the other hand, have no idea about this other universe. So the story beats her aren't the equivalent of the twist and turns of a mystery unfolding.

In fact the only thing that I can compare this fakeout to that comes to mind is season 6 of the Walking Dead, with how the showrunners were basically playing a game with the viewers only making it look like Glenn was being ripped apart. Added nothing to the story and made the directorial style seem really stupid.
To me it's just a bunch of spoiled brats who are upset their theories or scoops on the show were wrong.
This is quite an arrogant take. So your modus operandi is to insult other people who haven't come out of the show with the same feelings as you. As if somehow you are a superior audience member to them because you liked something that they didn't.
Pietro fans should be more disappointed with how little he had to do in Dark Phoenix.
I don't think you get to decide what all Pietro fans should have been disappointed on.

Marvel Studios has baited and switched audiences a lot, but this was not an egregious offense. They weren't building up Evan Peters' arrival as Pietro and are like PIETRO IS BACK AND THIS TIME IT'S EVAN PETERS.

Publicly, it was kept as a surprise, and it was happening in this facade reality where NOTHING is as it seems. Fans just theorized and made assumptions on their own.

Considering the way the show was being told and set up at that point, you couldn't legitimately trust anything we were seeing or what was happening.

Why would you say it's overreacting? This fakeout was clearly very polarizing so I think you're being rational to have said what you did.
Because from what I've seen, not many people on certain parts of the Internet have the same level of understandable response basically. If you even hold any constructive criticism regarding Evan Peters being turned into an unfunny joke, it's generalized and lumped with the "you're just upset because you didn't get what you wanted/your theories didn't end up coming true" criticisms. And with said parts basically being echo chambers, it doesn't allow for much civilized discussion.

Nah, it was not, and I literally just explained to you why it was not the same and you ignored it completely. So I'll say it again. The confusion that the audience had was why Peter from the Fox universe was at her doorstep. That was not at all the confusion going through her mind. So no, you are dead wrong to say it was the same confusion.

I ignored your argument because I believed it to be weak. Both the audience and Wanda were confused by the appearance of Peter's Pietro. It doesn't matter if one is confused about what it could mean for a fictional universe and the other doesn't know why her dead brother now looks like the other guy from the Kick Ass movie. That's what made it such a fascinating scene.

First of all, Agatha is not the fourth wall breaking type of character like Deadpool to play a trick on the audience and be aware that there is another cinematic universe of Marvel characters out there that houses this character. After the director explained that they could have brought ATJ back but just opted not to proves that her expository dialogue of not reanimating MCU Pietro's dead body was just a directorial choice. They could have done it. Instead they chose an actor whose role in the narrative and portrayal on the show would deceive the audience.

I never suggested Agatha broke the fourth wall. She diagnosed Wanda's confusion within the context of the narrative.

And if the Pietro swap had you all in a tizzy, I don't know how the heck you dealt with the reveal that Wanda and Vision weren't actually characters in a sitcom.THOSE MONSTERS LIED TO US!

Second of all, I've explained in this thread about three or four times now that Agatha playing a trick on Wanda does not equate to the studio/the director as the storyteller playing a trick on the viewer. You can go back and read the discussion if you want, but I'll quote IGN here since their explanation sums up my sentiment as well:
Why Doesn't Quicksilver Matter in WandaVision? - IGN

Repetition doesn't strengthen an argument. You didn't like it? That's fine. But the idea that fans were somehow were deceived or fooled or tricked is ridiculous.

I don't know what you mean by pearl clutching here but it sounds like you're just downplaying the disappointment of the Fox X-Men fans. We have a right to be disappointment just as Mandarin fans were when Iron Man 3 came out and it is a little demoralizing that others who don't care much for this fakeout are blaming fans for not not appreciating it.

WandaVision is a good show but it's not perfect nor is it immune to criticism. It's totally fine for people to love the whole show, it's totally fine for people to not care or like the fakeout, but it should be totally fine for people to hate it too.

I'm reminded of the classic SNL sketch with William Shatner addressing a group of Star Trek fans - "I mean, its just a TV show, dammit! Its just a TV show!"

Last edited:
Most the theories, click bait and think pieces felt so out of hand with this show but this is one of the few times I felt Marvel really dropped the ball.

The joke was pretty lame and made the show feel off with how fast it cuts away on the reveal. If they revealed it at the end of the Halloween episode or even on Ep 7 I might have thought differently. But this should not have been saved for the final ep and tied into Monica finding out. There was nowhere to go and they built it up for a minute scene. Why could Ralph completely decimate Monica with just touching her and hold her captive like that and then get taken down like a complete punk? Was he ever under the hex too? None of this was handled well, exciting, in the stylized sitcom mode or brought dramatic weight like the majority of previous episodes.

Wanda should have discovered it earlier with no more hype or pointless diversions so it didn't distract from the finale with only serving the purpose to have Monica out of the narrative. That's pretty contrived enough writing as it is without the whole baiting fans to believe someone they like is coming back.

As for the backlash, Quicksilver has gotten poor treatment or been left out for awhile now. He's dead, a phallic joke, underused in the X-Men films and only served for Wanda's grief and fooling audiences in an anticlimactic reveal in the MCU. Yeah, that's gonna piss the internet off haha. Fans go crazy if the filmmakers can't get hair color right. So not surprising.

Last edited:
Feel bad for Pietro fans...BUT there's nothing wrong with a ***** joke. Boners and farts will never not be funny.

Last edited:
I ignored your argument because I believed it to be weak.
Well, what I stated was factual. It's weird that you would think a factual argument is a weak one.

The confusion the audience experienced was not the same as Wanda's. You kept saying it was the same, and that is a false statement.

Both the audience and Wanda were confused by the appearance of Peter's Pietro. It doesn't matter if one is confused about what it could mean for a fictional universe and the other doesn't know why her dead brother now looks like the other guy from the Kick Ass movie. That's what made it such a fascinating scene.
I wholeheartedly disagree. It absolutely matters that the feelings the audience was experiencing were different from the feelings Wanda was, and that is the entire reason that the this portion of the audience was left disappointed. For reasons already stated, using the Fox universe actor does not enhance the storytelling at all. I would go into it again but I've already said it in this thread so many times.

I never suggested Agatha broke the fourth wall. She diagnosed Wanda's confusion within the context of the narrative.

And if the Pietro swap had you all in a tizzy, I don't know how the heck you dealt with the reveal that Wanda and Vision weren't actually characters in a sitcom.THOSE MONSTERS LIED TO US!
I never said that you suggested Agatha broke the fourth wall. I am saying that from a narrative standpoint it is not coincidental for Evan Peters' Quicksilver to be cast in the role of the fake Pietro. The bolded makes you sound a little condescending now. This thread is only about the Ralph Bohner plot point specifically, obviously each of the other plot points are deserving of their own conversations and you're making it sound like I was the only one upset about it.

Repetition doesn't strengthen an argument. You didn't like it? That's fine. But the idea that fans were somehow were deceived or fooled or tricked is ridiculous.
Uhh, what? My argument isn't repetition...I was just saying that because just as a poster here it's tiresome to constantly type out the same points again and again and regurgitate them constantly. The things you are saying are similar to things other people have said in the thread, so essentially that is why I have to say the same things too. And if I have to do it I will, I just don't alway have the time for it.

Anyway, I'm not the only one who didn't like it and I certainly not the only one who feels deceived. So if anything, it is ridiculous to argue that fans of the X Men universe weren't supposed to be deceived. it really doesn't make sense to make that argument.

I'm reminded of the classic SNL sketch with William Shatner addressing a group of Star Trek fans - "I mean, its just a TV show, dammit! Its just a TV show!"
Not familiar with that sketch, but Iron Man 3 was just a (billion dollar) movie. Yet as @The Batman pointed out, Disney recognized how polarizing the fakeout for that movie was and retconned it. Yes the fakeout there is not the same as it was here but that was the last time this franchise had a fakeout of the same caliber and reaction.

I still wonder why the alarm went off just before the Bohner arrived at Wanda's doorstep?
Based on (I could be wrong) the other time it went off, with Monica going through the Hex, I also kinda think that was used to imply he went 'through the Hex'.

They could have had the alarm set up to go off if a new character is being introduced but that was never shown or implied...

I still wonder why the alarm went off just before the Bohner arrived at Wanda's doorstep?
Based on (I could be wrong) the other time it went off, with Monica going through the Hex, I also kinda think that was used to imply he went 'through the Hex'.

They could have had the alarm set up to go off if a new character is being introduced but that was never shown or implied...

I thought that too at first but probably just was from when Wanda was outside, caused a stir with SWORD and went back.

This is another thing that I feel like is being blown a little out of proportion. A lot of people find the X-Men movies to be unfavorable - I feel that way about almost all of them as well, however - if Marvel Studios really wanted to have Evan Peters play the character he has been playing for several movies so far and cross cinematic universe, I don't think that would also obligate the studio to fully involve all of the events in from that franchise in the MCU. They could have done what I and many others may have been hoping, and just used Evan's Peter Maximoff to quietly introduce the concept of the multiverse, delineating that he is indeed from a different Earth and needs to get back to where he belongs, that's it. Then at least one major MCU character just becomes aware that not only are there universes that are branched timelines of their own universe but also universes that are their own timelines completely independent from the events of their own history, to make for an ever expanding multiverse. Putting Evan Peters there as the real X-Men Quicksilver doesn't at all mean they have to use everything from the Fox films.

By the way, I agree with you about The Incredible Hulk. I think it is a pretty good movie and an underrated part of the MCU. It's a shame we never got another Hulk movie after that. Like, what is the deal with Universal? Literally

As for the whole Mandarin fakeout, one of the WandaVision directors said he got a random text complaining to him about Iron Man 3 and how the whole Bohner thing is such a horrible example of repeating that mistake, and he responded by saying that the fakeout was his favorite part of that movie. He also said that for those disappointed that there was no multiverse involvement in WandaVision, that it is coming soon. I don't know if he meant that there is more to come with Evan Peters' character and that he will be revealed to be Quicksilver after all, or if he just means there will be real multiverse stuff in the MCU eventually with the other movies/shows. I timestamped his interview here:

Exactly it's a missed opportunity. That's the main issue.

It's worrying that they're getting such a kick out of the fakeouts. I don't expect them to take the whole thing too seriously, but there are big things that need to be addressed.

WandaVision: Elizabeth Olsen, Jac Schaeffer on the Twins, Fan Theories - Variety

When Evan Peters showed up on “WandaVision,” since he played a version of Pietro Maximoff 20th Century Fox’s “X-Men” movies, it got a lot of people speculating that the MCU was going into the multiverse — especially given the title of the next Marvel project that Lizzie in. Did you have a sense that that would be the reaction? Since you knew Peters was actually playing a random regular guy, how did you feel about how intense the speculation became?

Olsen: When we heard that Evan was going to do it, my mind was blown. “This is the first time we’re merging! This is crazy!” And then to use it in such a clever way as as Jac does was so satisfying. Working with Evan playing this version of Pietro [laughing] was just so fun and weird and funny and oh God, Jac I loved it so much. I’m so grateful for that.

Schaeffer: It was an early idea that Mary Livanos and I had and the writers room was so behind. It brought us so much joy and delight, the possibility that we could we could do this thing. It’s one of the few things in in this series that I was like, yeah, I was expecting a really big reaction. Everything else, I’ve been sort of floored by the enormity of the reactions, but that was the thing that I’ve been sitting on for two years, just being like, “Just wait! Just wait!”

A lot of fans really took Peters playing Pietro to mean something significant for the MCU. People wondered, does that mean Ian McKellen is going to show up, or Patrick Stewart? How much of that kind of reaction factored in at all to your thinking?

Schaeffer:
Naively, I didn’t expect people to get carried away in that way. I’m curious to hear what Lizzie has to say about this, but we didn’t anticipate that the show would drop after a full year of an MCU drought in the middle of a pandemic. I think we’re all so delighted by the response and so happy, I think, especially about the emotional response and how our discussion of grief has been embraced. I can speak for my writers room, I think that was our chief motivation and guiding light, and then all the other things are the fun of it.

I couldn’t have anticipated… I don’t know, maybe Mary Livanos and Kevin Feige are like, “Yeah, it’s like this every time.” But I’m like, these theories are crazy! [Laughing] So it wasn’t that was not part of my thinking, and also, that’s not my department. I am lucky enough that I get to hear about the other projects and sometimes I’m involved and their conversations. I know a little bit about all the things that Lizzie’s been up to. But that’s a bigger, fancier thing, what you’re asking about.

You forgot this important bit:

Olsen: I knew that there are theories that had to do with people wanting more surprises in cameos. But I’m not really that aware of what these fan theories were, so I’m kind of learning about it as we go. Paul said something about this crazy cameo when he was really just talking about doing a scene with himself, and I know Paul thought that was a really funny joke, and I thought it was funny. But I was like, I think people are actually going to suspect that there is more to come.

I didn’t know about the multiverse when we were filming this. So I wouldn’t assume that that’s what was happening. I thought it was just a clever way to have a Pietro. I didn’t understand the larger plan of the multiverse until I started working on “Multiverse,” or whatever our movie’s called, the “Doctor Strange” sequel! [Laughs]

In these murder mysteries, particularly those by Agatha Christie, there are lots of red herrings and people who seem like they're suspects or significant to both the audience and the detective. They're designed to mislead the audience down a particular path. Sometimes they even cast actors against type. Typical villains turn out to be heroes and vice versa, and some are completely insignificant. There are always twists and turns.

Now all of these stunt castings or red herrings could be seen as trolling the audience, but the audience realise at the end of the story that it's all part and parcel of the mystery genre and people don't complain they were mislead.

Well that's what they've done here. In addition to being a sitcom, this is also a mystery. It's been described in several places as a puzzle box mystery. So all these red herrings designed to deliberately mislead the audience are part of the genre. And that includes Fietro.

Indeed. I can't help but feel like the "You promised me ____, you did wrong by deceiving me" response is like going to a magic act, and complaining that the magician tricked you. Its not just a fictional show, its a fictional show whose explicit and implicit premise involves mysteries. *Of course* the writers are going to trick you! That's the point! Its narrative slight of hand, to make the audience look left when they should be looking right.

Satisfaction. I took him to be nothing more than a wink and a nod to the fact that he played Quicksilver in the Fox films, and I'm glad that's all it was. I have no interest in seeing the Fox films as part of the MCU multiverse.

Schaeffer said:

"the cameo was a way for the audience to get inside Wanda's headspace. She explained: "It was really about what's happening in Wanda's head and the idea that someone could show up and not look like her brother and that she would accept it. What's going on with her in terms of her denial, and her self-doubt, and her disorientation that Agatha could trick her in this way?

"We wanted to feel that very viscerally and it seemed like an incredible opportunity for the audience to feel it too with this meta-level of casting, with all of their associations to Evan in this other space. The idea of doing it with just any other actor, I'm like, 'That's not going to land.' That's not going to have the same thrill, and craziness, and questions, and be as disorienting."

Ms. Schaeffer needs to understand that us fans are waaay to fragile to enjoy stuff that's thrilling and crazy. Next time just stick with the punching and laser battles, lady!

Ms. Schaeffer needs to understand that us fans are waaay to fragile to enjoy stuff that's thrilling and crazy. Next time just stick with the punching and laser battles, lady!

What do we want? LASER FIGHTS!

When do we want them? NOW!

It's not the same as the Mandarin twist. In Iron Man 3 Ben Kingsley was presented as the Mandarin and nothing else for the first part of the film. There was no question mark about it. Then they suddenly threw in a twist when it wasn't even supposed to be a mystery type film.

In WandaVision it was always a mystery story. We knew it wasn't MCU Pietro but we weren't sure who he could be. They never presented him as MCU Pietro. Peters was someone who might be an imposter, or an alternate version of Pietro or someone else entirely. He was never specified to be Fox Quicksilver in the way IM3 specified Kingsley to be the Mandarin and then made a switch. It was always a case of "you'll have to wait and see who Evan Peters really is".

It was fans who wanted it to be Fox Quicksilver but Marvel never once specified he definitely was in the same way as the Mandarin. Now if, after 9 episodes they revealed that Wanda wasn't Wanda at all all this time but an actress named Martha Marcy May, then that would've been a Mandarin type twist.
You're right, it's definitely not at all the same as the Mandarin twist. But I think the Mandarin has been brought up a few times because that was the last time there was ever this much of a reaction to a fakeout in the MCU. Hell I wasn't really fond of the reveal at the end of FFH that Fury was never there, but that never reached the same highs of criticism as the Mandarin twist did. But to the bolded, he was specified as the Fox Quicksilver. The audio file for episode 5 described him as such, so the story made sure that the audience member was aware that this person has the likeness of someone who shares the identity of Wanda's brother from an alternate universe.
Marvel Studios has baited and switched audiences a lot, but this was not an egregious offense. They weren't building up Evan Peters' arrival as Pietro and are like PIETRO IS BACK AND THIS TIME IT'S EVAN PETERS.

Publicly, it was kept as a surprise, and it was happening in this facade reality where NOTHING is as it seems. Fans just theorized and made assumptions on their own.

Considering the way the show was being told and set up at that point, you couldn't legitimately trust anything we were seeing or what was happening.
Just because you were okay with it doesn't mean others had to be as well. And for the record I would say it's wrong to assert that they weren't building up Evan Peters' arrival as Pietro. Once again, the audio file described the stranger at the door of episode 5 directly as the Fox Quicksilver character. The story made sure the viewer knew this even though it's something that wouldn't affect the feelings of the protagonist, someone in the story.

Regardless of all the other fan theories about Mephisto or Nightmare, this one about Quicksilver was something that the show was directly putting out there for the audience to see. Especially given how Marvel said that this series ties directly into No Way Home, which has confirmed cast members that have played roles in previous Spider-Man movies, and Multiverse of Madness, for which the title is self explanatory. I'll quote Stuckmann again:

"He's one of my favorite parts of the X-Men universe and to see him included in the MCU, I was getting very excited about what they could be doing with the multiverse and stuff. And again I didn't look into the fan theories, I'm just...I'm watching the show, and Evan Peters is in it as Quicksilver...

Fan theories aside, which again I didn't look into, you're looking at a fan favorite actor playing a fan favorite character in a Marvel show. It's understandable that people would assume he's playing the character that he's been playing because Marvel and Fox made a deal. I'm not gonna blame fans for being disappointed when he ends up being Ralph Bohner when you introduce this fan favorite character.

Because from what I've seen, not many people on certain parts of the Internet have the same level of understandable response basically. If you even hold any constructive criticism regarding Evan Peters being turned into an unfunny joke, it's generalized and lumped with the "you're just upset because you didn't get what you wanted/your theories didn't end up coming true" criticisms. And with said parts basically being echo chambers, it doesn't allow for much civilized discussion.
Yeah which is pretty disappointing actually. Like even in this thread, everyone is free to disagree on everything but it's disheartening that it's also come down to personal insults as well. That's really the only problem I have with discourse especially on this forum. I'm honestly kind of surprised it doesn't get moderated.
This interview just seems like another example of an actor involved in the project just giving in their two cents, which doesn't really change the show's presentation or put things into a new lens. When Peter Parker's actor was recast for the remastered version of Spider-Man on Ps5, the Doc Ock actor rationalized that move as well.
I can't help but feel like there is just a fallacy in the damage control explanation that the studio is making. Like, again, the show counted on the audience being aware of the fact that the stranger at Wanda's doorstep in episode 5 was the Fox Quicksilver. But the audience also knew for sure it was never her brother. So watching the show it's not so much as the viewers saying to themselves "I cannot wait to see Wanda's reaction to the fact that this Pietro is from an alternate universe!" Because ultimately, Wanda wouldn't care. That realization doesn't heal any wounds. This sort of realization is only something that the audience would care about. The actual reaction that was meant to be anticipated was just "Wait until Wanda finds out that this Pietro is just an impostor!"

Whether Evan Peters' character was the Quicksilver from Fox or Ralph Bohner, it makes no difference to Wanda, and that's who the story is about. It's her show. The latter is what is canon, but if the studio went with the former, it gives the audience a reason to still be excited instead of just underwhelmed. And all of this from a narrative standpoint is doubled by the director stating that they could have brought back ATJ if they wanted to.
I know you are being sarcastic to an extent but you really should speak for yourself. Laughing at and insulting Fox Quicksilver fans isn't helping or adding to the discussion at all.

There were other flaws to the show besides this fakeout, especially in the final episode. But I still really liked WandaVision.

You're right, it's definitely not at all the same as the Mandarin twist. But I think the Mandarin has been brought up a few times because that was the last time there was ever this much of a reaction to a fakeout in the MCU. Hell I wasn't really fond of the reveal at the end of FFH that Fury was never there, but that never reached the same highs of criticism as the Mandarin twist did. But to the bolded, he was specified as the Fox Quicksilver. The audio file for episode 5 described him as such, so the story made sure that the audience member was aware that this person has the likeness of someone who shares the identity of Wanda's brother from an alternate universe.

Just because you were okay with it doesn't mean others had to be as well. And for the record I would say it's wrong to assert that they weren't building up Evan Peters' arrival as Pietro. Once again, the audio file described the stranger at the door of episode 5 directly as the Fox Quicksilver character. The story made sure the viewer knew this even though it's something that wouldn't affect the feelings of the protagonist, someone in the story.

There would be limited ways to describe to someone who relies on the audio file alone what is happening in that scene. The audio files presumably function in the same way as ALT image tags on a website to provide greater user accessibility. By that very nature it has to be slightly more meta than the experience you'd have simply watching the show normally, like meta tags that describe a page's content but don't appear in the page itself.

However, they couldn't really say "And Evan Peters appears at the door" because they wouldn't describe a character in terms of an actor because they wouldn't have been describing Wanda as "Elizabeth Olsen" throughout the show. For people who don't recognise the significance of the actor at the door, there has to be a way to highlight his significance and give you an idea of what the collective audience are thinking at that moment.

If they simply say "It's a fake Pietro" then he's already written off as such. If they say "It's someone who claims to be Pietro but played by someone else", again it's the same problem or doesn't highlight his pop culture significance. So they are limited in how to describe him. That only really leaves something like "Fox Quicksilver" or a variation on that. As I said, it's a description to help someone who requires additional help and give them extra accessibility similar to an ALT tag on a picture on a website.

There would be limited ways to describe to someone who relies on the audio file alone what is happening in that scene. The audio files presumably function in the same way as ALT image tags on a website to provide greater user accessibility. By that very nature it has to be slightly more meta than the experience you'd have simply watching the show normally, like meta tags that describe a page's content but don't appear in the page itself.

However, they couldn't really say "And Evan Peters appears at the door" because they wouldn't describe a character in terms of an actor because they wouldn't have been describing Wanda as "Elizabeth Olsen" throughout the show. For people who don't recognise the significance of the actor at the door, there has to be a way to highlight his significance and give you an idea of what the collective audience are thinking at that moment.

If they simply say "It's a fake Pietro" then he's already written off as such. If they say "It's someone who claims to be Pietro but played by someone else", again it's the same problem or doesn't highlight his pop culture significance. So they are limited in how to describe him. That only really leaves something like "Fox Quicksilver" or a variation on that. As I said, it's a description to help someone who requires additional help and give them extra accessibility similar to an ALT tag on a picture on a website.
But referring to him as the Fox Quicksilver doesn't mean anything to Wanda. The point of the audio description is to describe what is happening in the story. But to Wanda, all she sees is a man claiming to be her brother. From a narrative standpoint that's what the audio description could have/should have said. This person at the door being the Fox Quicksilver has no bearing on Wanda as the protagonist, so really it is the show making sure that the audience knows this character has the likeness of the character from an actual alternate universe.

After rewatching the series and knowing the full context of "Fietro", the fact that Peters didn't turn out to be the Foxverse Pietro after all doesn't bother me since the only character I want to crossover from that universe is Deadpool because of his natural fourth-wall-breaking demeanor.

What did disappoint me was that there was no appearance by Aaron Taylor-Johnson's Pietro. If they had used him as Fietro but with an American accent it would have been just as interesting as what they ended up going with for the character anyway, if not moreso because then we could have seen Wanda deal with losing him again even if it was just an illusion. I didn't buy Agatha's excuse of "he's dead in another country with bullet holes in him" since she's a witch that can conjure illusions. Don't get me wrong, Peters was a highlight of the show but I've just felt salty about how they did MCU Quicksilver dirty in AOU. That even spilled over to merchandising since Quicksilver is the only Avenger from the films to still not get a Marvel Legends action figure or even a Funko Pop. He got a dinky little 2 inch toy, a Lego minifigure and a Hot Toys figure but that's it. I'm guessing it had to do with Fox rights at the time but now that Disney owns the rights, it shouldn't be an issue anymore. The only other place that Johnson's Pietro could really turn up is in Multiverse of Madness as a cameo.

Edit: read wrong

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"