The All Things Flash Thread. - Part 2

I really hope Discovery don’t screw this up. Walter Hamada, who inherited a mess, finally looks like he’s got the shared universe moving in the right direction.

idk why people expect Miller to be "replaced" or how they think it's possible. Like I'm confused by people saying "replace" Miller. What does that even look like in this case?

The movie is in the can and it's not like All the Money in the World where the character that could/should be removed is only in the movie for a bit.

We'll see on the quality but of course "sources close to the film" say it's great. I still think this won't flop but will underperform and Miller won't be Flash again

I remember back when sources close to the film said BVS would be a Shakespearean masterpiece of comic book film.
Got a standing ovation from WB execs...sources close to WB said.

I don't know if it'll happen (it won't) but people need to stop trusting these test screening "reports" and also the first social media reactions. They're not really indicative of much

In the case of BvS, it apparently got a standing O at the studio showing, but once they actually started showing it to the public for screenings ,WB received mixed reactions , and began to worry about the film.

WB hasn't exactly been spot on all the time, in terms of what will connect with the GA as of late.

So , we'll have to see if the film is as good as the source inside of WB claims it is.

I remember back when sources close to the film said BVS would be a Shakespearean masterpiece of comic book film.

Yup, and this happened, according to Drew McWeeney

Now , his prediction for how WB would move forward was wrong, but he was right about WB's and peoples reactions post the screening.

These are test screenings though, not screenings for people that work for WB. And those reactions have been backed up by people who seem to know. (including people around here with decent track records about screenings and reactions) That doesn't mean the film will be a success or even well received but the constant comparison of every piece of decent news to BvS is tired and honestly lazy. Naysayers have used that against every film that garners any sort of non-negative press and never retracted after the films were successful.

These are test screenings though, not screenings for people that work for WB. And those reactions have been backed up by people who seem to know. (including people around here with decent track records about screenings and reactions) That doesn't mean the film will be a success or even well received but the constant comparison of every piece of decent news to BvS is tired and honestly lazy. Naysayers have used that against every film that garners any sort of non-negative press and never retracted after the films were successful.

Well with regards to my use of BvS, I used it as one example of WB's judgement of things versus how general audiences took it.

You may not like that comparison being brought up here, but it's fair one, and it did happen, like it or not.

No, it doesn't mean Flash is bad, but it also doesn't mean people have to believe an insider's word for it before they see the film themselves.

Of course ,we don't know the GA or film critics will ultimately respond to it, but it's not too surprising if people don't just take as gospel .

Until film critics actually see the film, and until audiences actually see the film , we won't know for sure whether the film is as good as insiders claim it is.

There's gonna skepticism no what, that's true, and the film shouldn't be condemned before people see it.
But at the same time, that doesn't mean people have to believe the film is amazing without setting eyes on it.

I also don't know that BvS is always used by naysayers against every film that gets any non negative press.

It wasn't used for the positive word about The Batman screening reports which came out a few months back , and it wasn't used for Aquaman either.

I don't recall it being used against the many Marvel Studios films test screenings either.

I could maybe buy that its been used against DC films in particular, but claiming it's used against every film with non-negative press is reaching.

Nah, I’ve heard the BvS argument for legit every DC flick that gets positive buzz pre-release.

Nah, I’ve heard the BvS argument for legit every DC flick that gets positive buzz pre-release.

I haven't heard it for every DC flick that gets positive buzz, though I did hear it with the first WW a few years back.

I certainly didn't hear it with The Batman. If it was there ,it must have been pretty low.
It wasn't there for Joker either.

Well with regards to my use of BvS, I used it as one example of WB's judgement of things versus how general audiences took it.

You may not like that comparison being brought up here, but it's fair one, and it did happen, like it or not.

No, it doesn't mean Flash is bad, but it also doesn't mean people have to believe an insider's word for it before they see the film themselves.

Of course ,we don't know the GA or film critics will ultimately respond to it, but it's not too surprising if people don't just take as gospel .

Until film critics actually see the film, and until audiences actually see the film , we won't know for sure whether the film is as good as insiders claim it is.

There's gonna skepticism no what, that's true, and the film shouldn't be condemned before people see it.
But at the same time, that doesn't mean people have to believe the film is amazing without setting eyes on it.

I also don't know that BvS is always used by naysayers against every film that gets any non negative press.

It wasn't used for the positive word about The Batman screening reports which came out a few months back , and it wasn't used for Aquaman either.

I don't recall it being used against the many Marvel Studios films test screenings either.

I could maybe buy that its been used against DC films in particular, but claiming it's used against every film with non-negative press is reaching.

To be honest I wasn't talking about you was more speaking in general :)

And yes it was. Every DC project since BvS as soon as someone says something like "early reactions are positive" or "reports are the film is testing well" the BvS argument shows up. Yes, even The Batman. It is in every thread because someone counters it with "BvS was insiders not fans" or some other argument which makes the comment look dumb.

I haven't heard it for every DC flick that gets positive buzz, though I did hear it with the first WW a few years back.

I certainly didn't hear it with The Batman. If it was there ,it must have been pretty low.
It wasn't there for Joker either.

Yes it was, it was on SM and around here. Pay attention going forward, some clown who loves to cause flame wars will say it here or a clickbaiter will put it in their blog.

I wasn't providing an 'argument', for what it's worth. Just making a light joke. :O

Yes it was, it was on SM and around here. Pay attention going forward, some clown who loves to cause flame wars will say it here or a clickbaiter will put it in their blog.
To be honest I wasn't talking about you was more speaking in general :)

And yes it was. Every DC project since BvS as soon as someone says something like "early reactions are positive" or "reports are the film is testing well" the BvS argument shows up. Yes, even The Batman. It is in every thread because someone counters it with "BvS was insiders not fans" or some other argument which makes the comment look dumb.

There will always be at least one person who's skeptical or who may or may not will throw out the BvS argument, but there isn't some great mass of fans claiming that.

With the Batman in particular, even around here, the view was overwhelmingly positive coming out of the test screenings in these threads.

How about this, going forward,
I'll do what I want to do, and you can do what you want to do.

And just to provide some balance to the whole test screenings thing, word is Flash is testing extremely positive but Black Adam is not. Apparently test audiences aren't liking Adam that much saying the tone is all over the place (which is why its undergoing reshoots right now). So not every test screening is positive. And early word from Shazam 2's test screening is that its...just fine. So...DC's all over the place apparently with their upcoming films. :funny:

idk why people expect Miller to be "replaced" or how they think it's possible. Like I'm confused by people saying "replace" Miller. What does that even look like in this case?

The movie is in the can and it's not like All the Money in the World where the character that could/should be removed is only in the movie for a bit.

We'll see on the quality but of course "sources close to the film" say it's great. I still think this won't flop but will underperform and Miller won't be Flash again

I mean the movie is already finished and its basically in the can. They showed a sizzle reel at CinemaCon after all the Miller arrests started blowing up. Short of some insanely awful scandal, they aren't removing them from the film. The movie is going to come out next year.

I don't know what will happen with Flash in the future. But I think the Ezra Miller stuff and calls for their replacement is just the internet and fandom mobs doing what they do, being loud, insane, and toxic.

Frankly, I never got why they went with Barry Allen for the DC film franchise in the first place. Like I kind of get why. Barry Allen was brought back as the current Flash in the comics, and Wally West was marginalized. But I always felt that Wally kind of represented, the younger, hipper modern generation of heroes. Barry was kind of the old generation who kind of had his time and that passed.

And frankly, this might be controversial, I always felt Wally was the better and more interesting character.

Lastly, I see virtually no resemblance to Ezra Miller's Barry and the Barry in the comics other than they both have the name Barry Allen and they're speedsters.

Ezra Miller seems much closer to Bart Allen in personality.

Last edited:
And just to provide some balance to the whole test screenings thing, word is Flash is testing extremely positive but Black Adam is not. Apparently test audiences aren't liking Adam that much saying the tone is all over the place (which is why its undergoing reshoots right now). So not every test screening is positive. And early word from Shazam 2's test screening is that its...just fine. So...DC's all over the place apparently with their upcoming films. :funny:

Rumors like these are not always trustworthy.

What I remember reading about pre-Batman v Superman release was that executives were giving the film "standing ovations" to the film when it was being screened for them and the brass was desperate to sign Ben Affleck to more films as Batman.

I also remember about half of the pre-release spoilers and plot leaks ended up not being true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"