The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - - - Part 87

Regarding scores:

Elfman and Young have given us what is still the definitive Spider-Man themes and to say the rest of the tracks were subpar is asinine. The continuity between films and callbacks to Goblin theme throughout the trilogy were superb. Spider-Man 2 has an amazing score, and I still don't know if I like it more than the first film.

TASM2's music was really good to me outside of the Electro dubstep (with words, thought it worked well without the "lyrics[?]"). Even there I can kind of appreciate the attempt at mixing things up and creating something new. The main theme is insanely hummable and good, not great. It's not as iconic as Elfman's theme, but the movie wasn't there to prop it up at all like with Raimi's films, either.

TASM...I couldn't hum a single theme from any of it. Not that it was bad, really don't think it was at all but I can't remember a single note for the life of me. I do remember thinking that the opening credits track really sounded like an attempt to copy Elfman's main theme, but it's been a good long while since I saw the film. Not bad, not as good as TASM2--neither of these are anywhere NEAR the Raimi Trilogy's score at all IMO.

I find TASM1 score to be very underrated, thought I wouldn't try to hum it once, it's hard to hum. TASM2 score is actually harder to hum.

Elfman's score is fantastic, and the level of ease humming it is inspiring.

I know I'm in the minority but I actually prefer Zimmer's underappreciated TAS-M2 score over TDKT, MOS and BvS scores.

I know I'm in the minority but I actually prefer Zimmer's underappreciated TAS-M2 score over TDKT, MOS and BvS scores.

I'm right there with you. Although I prefer the Superman (John Williams) and Batman (Danny Elfman) scores over TASM2.

Also, I wouldn't consider it underappreciated because he still plays his TASM2 stuff alongside his other works. People in attendance really like his Electro track, specifically.

Last edited:
ASM2's score was hilariously bad. WTF was that Electro theme? Elfman's was iconic imo.

I notice those who bash the score mainly criticize Electro's theme. Why? B/c it features dubstep. However, there really isn't much dubstep in the score overall. It's only featured during the Electro moments. So about 20% of the score. Anyways the dubstep didn't bother me. I like the approach Zimmer and co. took with "My Enemy". It's a very foreboding cue that elevates the sequence it was written for. I didn't find any of the eerie whispering by Pharrell cringeworthy but ingenious. It only further establishes how deranged and self-conscious Dillon was. Definitely one of the highlights of the score for me.

I haven't heard a score like TAS-M2 before or after it. It's very unique and unconventional from a lot of scores in the same genre.

That Spider-Man he is my enemy! I mean come on that's so silly

I seriously wondered why the word "virginity" was part of that song lol
:funny: :shrug: could have been agility? But seriously, "He lied to me, he shot at me, virginity, electricity, afraid of me, he's dead to me, HE IS MY ENEMY!!" are all obviously warped thoughts of Dillion's mind.

I thought it was fragility, not virginity. :funny:

So the song lyric is actually 'd***less'?
Awkward.

Fragility, not virginity. :doh:

Dillon has a fragile psyche.

It still sounds like virginity, despite my best effort to hear otherwise.

Because it was like a cartoon. Even the movie's SCORE didn't take itself seriously. In addition, those lyrics were embarrassing.
:huh: Below are a few examples of Zimmer and co. taking both the film and score seriously.

"No Place like Home"

"I'm Moving To England"

"You're My Boy"

"I Need To Know"

"Harry's Suite"

"Sum Total"

"I'm Goblin"

"The Rest of My Life"

"Ground Rules"

"You're That Spider Guy"

Yes the score (or film for that matter) aren't as serious or bleak as TDKT, but that isn't a bad thing, imo.

I can't blame you for making me hear that, I heard it like that since day 1.
I don't hate that track, I think it's more forgettable than nauseating.
And yet that's the track that resonates with people (either negatively or positively) the most.

And yet that's the track that resonates with people (either negatively or positively) the most.
That's a sign of giving too much attention to details they don't like, it infects every other bit for them, include what should be forgettable.

See, those tracks you posted are good. Overall, IMO, it's a good film score. Maybe even really good outside of the Electro theme which is FAR from ingenious (again IMO).

Not great. Not terrible. Good. Slightly above mediocre with some really good parts.

[YT]vGJaSNfwsL8[/YT]

[YT]j3Ifhzsa4L4[/YT]

Will always be my favorites.

:huh: Below are a few examples of Zimmer and co. taking both the film and score seriously.

You asked why people didn't take Electro's theme seriously, and I answered accordingly. The goofy cartoon music that follows him around doesn't help the crapstep.

For now I maintain the thought that this movie is rather good, and the soundtrack is good outside the forgettable song of Electro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"