The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - - - Part 87

Can't really agree with this Aziz. Garfield's version of the character is terribly written imo. The only thing differentiating it from the equally bad Cavill's Superman is that Andrew actually tried to get something out of that crap writing.
More like as terribly written and prickish as the character in the 90s cartoon is.

"Uh-Huh, and did they belong to little pink elephants?"

"I don't know about that Brock, you're just the reporter I'd send on a wild goose chase"

"Coyotes caught in traps, they chew their legs out. You should try that some time"

"You hate a lot of people Smythe, must be rough around the holidays"

Enters Jameson's office to threaten one of his employees (although he threatened himself, J.J doesn't know that)

Encourages MJ to date him while he's afraid of his mutation, just to walk away from her a few episodes later and ignores her calls.

Breaks into the X-Mansion instead of going to their front door to seek help.

Steals Fury's S.H.I.E.L.D. badge from Jameson's office and never brings it back.

Andrew's Peter is a considerably tamer than the Peter from that famous and popular cartoon, I can't help but continue saying you guys are WAAAAAAAYYYY too harsh on TASM version of the character.

Awkward impulsive lying is bad, not off the grid for people to do, even a fictional person like Peter Parker who is made to be someone to relate to.

Anyway, superheroes infiltrate with fake or stolen ID cards a little too often, to call Peter a prick in that specific moment when what he did is nothing out of the ordinary is, what is that phrase I see used very often in debates? Selective forgetfulness.

Man, reading posts from people who hate the Amazing Spiderman series is just... wow. The levels of exaggeration and putting negative spins on scenes to make it sound like this version of Peter was a "*****ebag" is pretty impressive.

Don't get me wrong, I won't defend TASM2 very much (I will defend TASM1 though, love that movie). TASM2 is not a very good movie, almost entirely due to the awful villains but the pounding this characterization of Peter takes from detractors is infinity exaggerated to the point where I feel like I watched a completely different movie. How you guys can paint such a negative spin on every interaction he has, every action he takes in these two movies, even some scenes/interactions that are completely harmless, is simply baffling to me.

Man, reading posts from people who hate the Amazing Spiderman series is just... wow. The levels of exaggeration and putting negative spins on scenes to make it sound like this version of Peter was a "*****ebag" is pretty impressive.

Don't get me wrong, I won't defend TASM2 very much (I will defend TASM1 though, love that movie). TASM2 is not a very good movie, almost entirely due to the awful villains but the pounding this characterization of Peter takes from detractors is infinity exaggerated to the point where I feel like I watched a completely different movie. How you guys can paint such a negative spin on every interaction he has, every action he takes in these two movies, even some scenes/interactions that are completely harmless, is simply baffling to me.
:applaud
This is the kind of posts that deserves a thumbs up here.

Meh idk. I think sadly people will have a strong hate for this franchise. It was during Spider-Man's darkest times. The likes of Thor and groot were more popular, the franchise was being dragged into the ground by horrible producers, we had the worst incarnation of Spider-Man on television to date. If you were a spidey fan it was a very dark time. I watched the movies cause I love and will always support spiderman but during that time Spider-Man just wasn't doing as well as we liked. Many blame this franchise for causing fatigue and damaging the character and after the success of homecoming they came back to throw more stones at it.

I'm just relieved spidey is being respected again and not being treated like some so so hero. We had people literally saying Peter is a boring character and he's just some white guy when the deal was announced. Completely disrespectful to the character.

I honestly get the hate for this. It's not right but I get it. It was during a very dark time in the Spider-Man career. It's not a terrible movie tho but it will be forever seen as the Batman and robin of spidey films now.

preach:ilv:

TASM2 defently not great.i liked things about it.now i love the first amazing spider-man.the amazing spider-man films are the whipping boy for those who wanted spider-man in MCU that now they will say everything on both films was awful.to be fair i didn't like homecoming because of all changes they made.and i always maintained i was more disappointed by
spider-man 3 than asm2.

Mental gymnastics at their finest.

You can point at multiple comics or iterations where Peter has been moody/angsty and it gets a pass on the grounds of 'muh comics/cartoons' yet this take on Peter is made out to be an insufferable jerk because he'd lash out or stand up for himself. Seems like normal teenage behavior.

Then there's the whole "HE BROKE CAPTAIN STACY'S PROMISE THEREFORE HE'S A *****E" yet you can point out multiple instances where Peter has let people down with broken promises, big or small. You can also point out how Stacy clearly said, "Leave Gwen out of this" and not "Stay away from Gwen" which mean two completely different things.

The mental gymnastics will know no bounds, though.

Last edited:
we had the worst incarnation of Spider-Man on television to date.
The suckage of that iteration is significantly heavier in seasons 1 & 2, if I were to pick worst episodes of that show, they'd probably be more from the first half of the show, and more due to that animated Spider-Man being an annoying prick I want to slap.

TASM2 defently not great.i liked things about it.now i love the first amazing spider-man.the amazing spider-man films are the whipping boy for those who wanted spider-man in MCU that now they will say everything on both films was awful.
:up:

You can point at multiple comics or iterations where Peter has been moody/angsty and it gets a pass on the grounds of 'muh comics/cartoons' yet this take on Peter is made out to be an insufferable jerk because he'd lash out or stand up for himself. Seems like normal teenage behavior.

Then there's the whole "HE BROKE CAPTAIN STACY'S PROMISE THEREFORE HE'S A *****E" yet you can point out multiple instances where Peter has let people down with broken promises, big or small. You can also point out how Stacy clearly said, "Leave Gwen out of this" and not "Stay away from Gwen" which mean two completely different things.
:up:

Can't really agree with this Aziz. Garfield's version of the character is terribly written imo. The only thing differentiating it from the equally bad Cavill's Superman is that Andrew actually tried to get something out of that crap writing.

Quite true. He was still an INO, but I give Garfield credit for at least trying something with his INO material. Cavill was just a plank of wood.

Anyone remember that 'Rodrigo' part in ASM1? That was so bad.

A true INO moment there.

He was more on point with the character.

They both sucked. Garfield just sucked a little less performance wise.

That's a common superhero trope to steal or forge identity and infiltrate.

Give me an example of some poor student being thrown out because Peter decided to swipe his identity, and Peter not showing a lick of remorse for it either.

They both sucked. Garfield just sucked a little less performance wise.
This is the Peter you see in comics and cartoons. He's a jock and a dick at times, and a reckless one at that.

Give me an example of some poor student being thrown out because Peter decided to swipe his identity.
Not students, and they don't usually show the victim dragged out by security like that poor kid, but it happens. Batman did it, Spider-Man did it, blah blah blah.

This is the Peter you see in comics and cartoons.

Thanks for the laugh again.

If the character in these two movies is a d***, why do you like him?

I don't. Was that not obvious?

Not students, and they don't usually show the victim dragged out by security like that poor kid, but it happens. Batman did it, Spider-Man did it, blah blah blah.

Give me examples. TASM showed it because there was actually an innocent victim who suffered because this INO was a *****e who didn't even care what he did to that guy.

Last edited:
I just didn't find the character relatable nor likable at all,which is something I felt Marvel pulled off right from his introduction in Civil War. I hated the characterization of Peter right from the start,yeah there were some decent moments across the movies but ultimately it was a take I couldn't get behind.

Someone pointed me to a review that is supposed to be an analysis of the movie, but it puts everything that is wrong with not the movie, but how both these films are criticized.

This is the Peter you see in comics and cartoons. He's a jock and a dick at times, and a reckless one at that.

Peter is certainly not a perfect person, and every version of him reflects that in some way. He's not easily dissuaded once he takes a course of action, and he's willing to bend the rules at times. He exhibited felonious behavior in the comics to save Aunt May, he brought Dr. Doom aboard the hellicarrier in USM (which almost gave Nick Fury an embolism) trying to prove that he was a competent hero, and he caused a nearly catastrophic accident in Homecoming. TASM & TASM 2 highlighted this more than usual, but I'm never shocked to see Peter being aloof or hotheaded.

Peter is certainly not a perfect person, and every version of him reflects that in some way. He's not easily dissuaded once he takes a course of action, and he's willing to bend the rules at times. He exhibited felonious behavior in the comics to save Aunt May, he brought Dr. Doom aboard the hellicarrier in USM (which almost gave Nick Fury an embolism) trying to prove that he was a competent hero, and he caused a nearly catastrophic accident in Homecoming. TASM & TASM 2 highlighted this more than usual, but I'm never shocked to see Peter being aloof or hotheaded.
We can keep that USM cartoon on the side and look at the 90s cartoon version, one of the most hailed takes on the character to date, for comparison, he's more of a reckless doofus in that show than he is shown to be in these two movies.

USM version is the worst take on the character, mainly in season 1.

For all the bashing that Giamatti and the Rhino in TASM2 got, isn't the Rhino often portrayed as mostly a joke of a villain?

I think he can work pretty well either as a serious or joke villain. Giamatti was OK but, more from having such little screentime than his performance per se, still seemed a bit underwhelming.

Dude, I'm not even surprised any more. Well some people already called him a *****ebag before the first movie even came out just because they didn't like the way his hair looked. Seriously. Lol. But I completely agree. Some people just waaaaay over exaggerate how 'bad' they supposedly were. Back then I thought people were just letting their biases of wanting Spidey in the MCU affect how they felt about it as a whole, but to still constantly complain about the movies, 5 and 3 years later is just crazy to me. I absolutely loved the movies, they're both my favorite superhero movies of all-time and even I don't talk about the movies as much as some of these people do.

I just don't think I'll ever understand it. It really does feel like I watched completely different movies from some of them.

It's refreshing to see more people who at least like this take on the character.

Dude, I'm not even surprised any more. Well some people already called him a *****ebag before the first movie even came out just because they didn't like the way his hair looked. Seriously. Lol. But I completely agree. Some people just waaaaay over exaggerate how 'bad' they supposedly were. Back then I thought people were just letting their biases of wanting Spidey in the MCU affect how they felt about it as a whole, but to still constantly complain about the movies, 5 and 3 years later is just crazy to me. I absolutely loved the movies, they're both my favorite superhero movies of all-time and even I don't talk about the movies as much as some of these people do.

I just don't think I'll ever understand it. It really does feel like I watched completely different movies from some of them.

amazing spider-man will remain my favorate spider-man film.and unfortully it will never be toped with way spider-man is being treated now.

intresting thing i looked at rt audence like of spider-man films while homecoming gets highest liked out of spider-man films,which i really hate that film,but amazing spider-man got mor elikes than first spider-man film and amazing spider-man 2 got more likes that spider-man 3.i got some act like i was crazy for in past saying i though amazing better than spider-man
and thinking amazing 2 better than spider-man 3.

amazing films just get way too much hate especilly first one.

amazing spider-man was more ultimate with some 616 elements but garfield's peter parker was only one that came off as really smart.marguire's peter was lacking in that department.there is valid critism ind ark knight trilogy that nolan didn't make bruce wayne smart enough with having others provide him with much.

the amazing films are hated by those who only care about spider-man in mcu.they will even rewrite history by saying first amazing spider-man film was failure and universal hated in 2012 which isn't true at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"