The Batman General News & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. I think the guys who have played Deathstroke on the Arrow and Titans shows had more menacing presence in their initial reveal scenes than Joe showed us, Have you seen those shows Shauner?

Initial reveal scenes, and also all the scenes that followed. I still regret we couldn't get a Deathstroke spinoff miniseries following his guest appearance in season. . . 6, I think? Slade Wilson, repentant anti-hero, walking the shadowy halls of the global mercenary underworld while trying to save his son from being an irredeemably evil villain. It could have been awesome.

I hope its true that Wayne's are corrupt in this world. I know some folks might not like it but this will be a different take on Batman compare to the other movies. Just like he said at DC Fandom :

"There are so many Batman’s. And so, to me, that’s one of the joys of being in the kind of comic book world is to try and say, “Hey, what can we do to put our spin on this so that people can find a new way of looking at that character that they love.” It’s, like, this strange thing of wanting to be able to find a way to come at it in some new way. And yet it has to be connected to that thing that you love."

I'm sure The Riddler is going to leak everything out and it will be interesting to see how the public view Bruce Wayne. He is dealing with emotion and rage of being Batman and dealing with the craziness fall out of the public not trusting him because what his parents did in the past.

I think corruption is fine but I hope it’s not as simple as “rich man bad hurr durr”

I think knowing Reeves it'll be more nuanced. But I think it might help Bruce's arc. His angry sense of vengeance is from his parents deaths but when he finds out his parents were corrupt, that might make him his own man and be Batman for justice. THAT will be the thing that cracks his Batman experiment. I do think the Riddler plays an essential role of that angle.

I wouldn't be surprised if Riddler has a new backstory where he had an opposing path of Bruce's. Both orphans but instead of being privileged, he was tossed around the system and became what he was and is taking his vengeance out on it. He's as much of a victim of the broken system as Bruce was but from a different perspective. To the point where this helps make Bruce see the error of his ways and becomes a better man and help Gotham as Bruce Wayne as well as Batman to help prevent people like the Riddler and himself from happening again. I wouldn't be surprised if that tearful thug who sees Batman beat the **** out of that guy is part of Batman's thru line. At the end, maybe instead of Batman's overdone violence, Bruce Wayne encounters him and helps him out.

Last edited:
I can't see his parents not being corrupt in this. It just makes too much sense thematically with what Reeves is going for and fits Riddler's M.O. in the movie. I'm down for it. It makes Bruce question his motives and push forward as a true hero who does the right thing simply because it's the right thing to do. It could also spur him to spend money into the city moving forward too to atone for his parents' sins. I think you do have to be careful with billionaire white man saviour complex that the mythos has had - it was created a century ago and things change. I'm totally cool with the parents being bad eggs, maybe even part of the Court of Owls if the story goes that way.

Batman is a superhero because as Reeves said at Fandome, he endures and fights for the right thing. He would still be a hero if he wasn't rich, and that's why I dislike any version where Batman's superpower is "I'm rich." Lame. It's also why I prefer lower tech, detective Batman to Iron Man-esque portrayals. I have no doubt that this stuff will be addressed in the movie. Lots of exciting stuff to look forward to with Alfred & Bruce dialogue I'm sure.

What kind of errors do you think Batman will make during the film?

Like what will you think he learn?

Matt Reeves says he cant fly, so he’ll learn that with his wingsuit for sure.

Maybe he’ll fight the wrong Guy. Go to hard on him.

I still think he’s gonna win a battle but kind of lose at the end of the picture. And thats what will make him The Batman.

When I look at Pattinson as Bruce I see an Angry Young Man with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove to the world. The beatdown of the thug and the "I'm vengeance" line are badass, but there's a certain implied immaturity to it, at least for me. Some of it is aesthetic; Pattinson just looks really young, and the long disheveled hair and the eye shadow kind of accentuate that kind of young adult angst. But I can see it in what little we've seen of the performance as well, and from what Reeves has said about this Batman still not being fully formed. So I think it's likely that his arc will see him go from that angry young vigilante to a more mature hero as the story progresses, through this film and its sequels. Vigilante to hero to eventually legend.

...there are a bunch of shots that have yet to be replicated, from YO. Nolan did a couple, but there’s still so many more.

The rooftop at dawn shot, Bruce saving a baby over a bridge, fighting thief’s on a fir escape, Batman in Gordon’s office...

I think at least a part of the film will be Bruce dealing with/taking the rage within him, basically coming to terms with the fact that Batman can’t be about anger fueled revenge. This is a young Batman so he’s still “hyped” about starting his fight against the criminal world that took his parents from him and is going at it with as much ferocity as possible.

Given the hints that the Wayne’s are corrupt in this world, I think part of the movie will try to blur the lines between good and bad and what Bruce’s pre-conceived notions of that may be.

yeah totally, he certainly his driven by anger and will have to deal with it. And during the trailer, when he beats that guy, it's clearly an overreaction of an angry man who wants to prove himself and the other.

But also Matt said he'll do a bunch of errors which will make him evolve into the Batman. Getting hit by a car, interrogating the wrong person, following a wrong lead, I think all of that will also brings freshness to the character.

Maybe Gordon is a better detective at first and give Batman advice.

When I look at Pattinson as Bruce I see an Angry Young Man with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove to the world. The beatdown of the thug and the "I'm vengeance" line are badass, but there's a certain implied immaturity to it, at least for me. Some of it is aesthetic; Pattinson just looks really young, and the long disheveled hair and the eye shadow kind of accentuate that kind of young adult angst. But I can see it in what little we've seen of the performance as well, and from what Reeves has said about this Batman still not being fully formed. So I think it's likely that his arc will see him go from that angry young vigilante to a more mature hero as the story progresses, through this film and its sequels. Vigilante to hero to eventually legend.

Totally agree, I also think that during the film, the badass beat up will have a complete other effect. Those young boys and men really seems afraid, he's going too far to make them learn.

Probably the score will also have a haunting theme during that moment.

And all this anger will make him do a lot of errors, getting seen where he shouldn't be, getting trapped too easily, having not enough sleep etc.

I'm sure he'll be a badass but a badass with a lot of flaws, can't imagine Pattinson doing a character unidimensional.

...there are a bunch of shots that have yet to be replicated, from YO. Nolan did a couple, but there’s still so many more.

The rooftop at dawn shot, Bruce saving a baby over a bridge, fighting thief’s on a fir escape, Batman in Gordon’s office...
Could totally see a take on the fire escape bit happening. In the trailer, we also see a thug shoot battinson in the chest so I definitely think the fights won't be so easy for Bruce at first.

2OZHOpN.jpg

I think even tangentially related to some corrupt families or the Court could work well with the themes and Riddler's revelations to Batman and moving forward into a sequel if Reeves wishes to use the Court in his plans. The Waynes don't have to have been actively awful people, but some murky morals to the history can go a long way here thematically. It probably won't be as extreme as Joker but they'll probably share a bit of blame is my guess. But I'm also down for complete ******* route too.

It probably will go that way.

Maybe Falcone and Thomas has a history in which both were working together, one for the good the other for grief but using illegal actions.

It turned ugly for Thomas, Falcone tried to push him away with his power, Thomas then wanted to get revenge in a political way by trying to ruin Falcone’s public image.

Finally those working with Falcone makes a choice which brings us in a dark alley behind a theater...

Just pitching without second thought. But I think making Thomas in a more gray area is better than only bad.

It all depends on the delivery and the writing.

@BarryLyndon 100% my thoughts. A bit of corruption, found himself knee deep in something and couldn't get out, leading to his death. Falcone or the Court would both work for me. It doesn't mean Bruce's parents are now awful and irredeemable people, it just means there's more nuance to the family history - and to Gotham's history.

Falcone could even have voted against killing Thomas but democracy didnt go that way, so he feels a bit of a responsibility to take care of their son...

I would really love a special relationship between Bruce and Falcone. Bruce hates him and think he has something to do with their death and Falcone wants to help him in his way.

Falcone could even have voted against killing Thomas but democracy didnt go that way, so he feels a bit of a responsibility to take care of their son...

I would really love a special relationship between Bruce and Falcone. Bruce hates him and think he has something to do with their death and Falcone wants to help him in his way.

I love that idea. Would make Falcone more interesting as a character and be a part of the family history that Bruce wishes didn't exist. I'm down. I am really curious to see how differently Batman handles / treats Falcone to Penguin, etc.

Theres so much of this movie to look forward too. I didn't get to see any previous Batman films in theaters so this will be a special moment for me.
I'm open to all interpretations of characters as long as fundamentally it's a familiar version.

I go into a lot of superhero films with the mind that they're else world tales and not specifically just comics come to life and usually that helps me enjoy a lot of things people dont (I actually really liked Gotham for this reason) so when Reeves was announced and then Pattinson I was excited but cautious that some things might not gel for me even they're both incredible talents.

But with everything I've seen with this film, The Batsuit, Batmobile, character designs nothing seems too foreign and I'm continually happy with everything I see from this film. This could absolutely be my definitive Batman, and I can't help but thank Reeves and co for being so passionate about the character.

The future looks bright and I can not wait to experience the film with all you guys, only thing I'm dreading is the amount of pages and new threads Im gonna have to wade through when the film releases lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"