The Batman General News & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Batman Begins had it right for the most part.
Yep, part of why Reeves should do something very different.

I'd like to see more emphasis on Martha Wayne as well because she really felt like a non-entity apart from the pearl stuff in TDKR. Her being an Arkham like an Earth One would be great.

I'd like to see more emphasis on Martha Wayne as well because she really felt like a non-entity apart from the pearl stuff in TDKR. Her being an Arkham like an Earth One would be great.

It could also redeem her name after BVS.

It's sensitive ground to tread, but subtext and commentary on the prison infrastructure and mental health institutions would be interesting topics to handle in the context of Gotham.

Nolan and Phillips blew the door open for these type of subject matters to be presented on the main stage, so the Batman IP has already primed audiences for an experience that reaches higher than its genre.

They've rarely been anything more than a headstone. You can really do whatever you want with them.
I disagree with that. Some of my favourite stories focus on Thomas and Martha's influence on Bruce's moral development, such as Haunted Knight and The Long Halloween. In the former, Bruce realizes that Batman should not be his whole life and takes inspiration for Martha' charitable endeavours to become more of a public philantropist.

Similarly, in the latter, Bruce learns that Thomas in fulfillment of his Hippocratic Oath as a doctor saved the life of a young Carmine Falcone arguably leading to great harm to many Gothamites given Falcone's career as a crime boss. It leads Bruce to question the cause and effect of his actions and his own code...

What is the point of making Thomas a renowned surgeon if his character is not used to help explain Bruce's strong moral code?

I disagree with that. Some of my favourite stories focus on Thomas and Martha's influence on Bruce's moral development, such as Haunted Knight and The Long Halloween. In the former, Bruce realizes that Batman should not be his whole life and takes inspiration for Martha' charitable endeavours to become more of a public philantropist.

Similarly, in the latter, Bruce learns that Thomas in fulfillment of his Hippocratic Oath as a doctor saved the life of a young Carmine Falcone arguably leading to great harm to many Gothamites given Falcone's career as a crime boss. It leads Bruce to question the cause and effect of his actions and his own code...

What is the point of making Thomas a renowned surgeon if his character is not used to help explain Bruce's strong moral code?
Well, Thomas doesn't /have/ to be a renowned surgeon.

My prediction (based on WB way of promoting big movies): probably we’ll have something big in August, we don’t know yet if they will do Fandome again, but The Suicide Squad is coming out on August 5th so it’s likely they will attach a trailer to that. If there’s a Fandome in 21 it may make sense to anticipate it to make it coincide with the release of SS..So, a trailer, poster and Empire coverage..my 2 cents

You can still maintain aspects of that. As I said, I think the best avenue to go would be to have Bruce find out about the various bad choices Thomas made to bring the person back down to Earth from this ideal paragon that Bruce has made Thomas into. Hell, you could even use that as some social commentary on healthcare. Have the hospital that Thomas is in charge of be on Falcone's bank roll. So Thomas can give better care to the homeless and the poor without them having to pay astronomical prices, all while he has to potentially turn a blind eye to Falcone using the hospital for his own motivations. Which could be what Riddler refers to as Bruce "being a part of this, too". That way, he's still a renowned surgeon with good intentions, just not a perfect human being. Bruce having to come to terms with that could make for some damn interesting storytelling. You can still have the Waynes be good people, but you can tell some great stories by making it clear they're not perfect human beings.

You can still maintain aspects of that. As I said, I think the best avenue to go would be to have Bruce find out about the various bad choices Thomas made to bring the person back down to Earth from this ideal paragon that Bruce has made Thomas into. Hell, you could even use that as some social commentary on healthcare. Have the hospital that Thomas is in charge of be on Falcone's bank roll. So Thomas can give better care to the homeless and the poor without them having to pay astronomical prices, all while he has to potentially turn a blind eye to Falcone using the hospital for his own motivations. Which could be what Riddler refers to as Bruce "being a part of this, too". That way, he's still a renowned surgeon with good intentions, just not a perfect human being. Bruce having to come to terms with that could make for some damn interesting storytelling. You can still have the Waynes be good people, but you can tell some great stories by making it clear they're not perfect human beings.

Yeah, that sounds good to me. I just hate the idea of the Waynes being corrupt or bad - that's the lazy bit I hope Reeves avoids. It's such a gotcha twist kinda thing that makes my eyes roll every time I hear it. But good people trying their best in a corrupt system, and not doing the right thing all the time, despite their best efforts? That's both nuanced and interesting.

Yeah, that sounds good to me. I just hate the idea of the Waynes being corrupt or bad - that's the lazy bit I hope Reeves avoids. It's such a gotcha twist kinda thing that makes my eyes roll every time I hear it. But good people trying their best in a corrupt system, and not doing the right thing all the time, despite their best efforts? That's both nuanced and interesting.

Exactly. And I have faith that Reeves will make it nuanced. If he can tell nuanced stories about Planet of the Apes, this'll probably be a walk in the park for him.

I will say as a forewarning, it's definitely the most heavy Batman comic I've read that deals with some pretty serious stuff.

If child abuse is something you're particularly sensitive over, may be worth steering clear. Because Night Cries doesn't hold back, on that front.

Yeah, I want to read it, but the subject matter would be too upsetting for me.

It's 6 dollars on the DC comics app so I'll be giving it a read.

I will say as a forewarning, it's definitely the most heavy Batman comic I've read that deals with some pretty serious stuff.

If child abuse is something you're particularly sensitive over, may be worth steering clear. Because Night Cries doesn't hold back, on that front.
I remember reading it in middle school, late 90’s and feeling it was too adult for me.

Same with that novel from the 90’s dealing with terrorism and Batman.

78E57EA1-C179-4B03-8BD6-DE6FE01F964B.jpeg New rumor that RP is about to get a big increase in salary for the sequels. I know Daniel is hit and miss, but I hope this true. It shows WB really like what they see and want to keep RP as Batman for a long time.

View attachment 45100 New rumor that RP is about to get a big increase in salary for the sequels. I know Daniel is hit and miss, but I hope this true. It shows WB really like what they see and want to keep RP as Batman for a long time.
I doubt it. There is no way that Pattinson's deal for at least the first few sequels is not already set in stone.

In addition, as talented as Robert is, I am not a huge fan of any actor getting creative control over these types of films. I would rather that Matt Reeves be allowed to pursue his vision for the character unencumbered.

I imagine any negations on a salary increase would happen after they see how the movie does.

Didn't he recently say that Pattinson was unhappy because Reeves wouldn't allow him creative input into his character? Not to mention the fact that they don't like each other in general and he hates the fact that Keaton/Affleck are in The Flash.

I swear these scoopers are just spinning their own narratives. I'm not listening to a damn thing they say about this movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"