The Batman General News & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Late to reply but I not only appreciate the Seinfeld ref, I also appreciate the effort to get this message across. You mad man. Your best comment however, “oh fashion fight! Handbags at dawn.” Thought about quoting that in my sig.
Thanks man, that's real cool of you to say. For what it's worth, I do actually like Snyder's Watchmen a fair amount. I just couldn't resist the reference. :grin:

Thanks man, that's real cool of you to say. For what it's worth, I do actually like Snyder's Watchmen a fair amount. I just couldn't resist the reference. :grin:

I legit read through some comments I think our young Andy was debating with someone(about Joker of course!) when you said the "fashion fight" line and nearly spit my coffee out. Just about as funny as @Da-Scribe being quoted in someone's sig, "There is simply no reasoning with a man that has become too erect." I swear, I mostly follow this board for the comments. This is my entertainment.

Last edited:
If memory serves, it was actually between DKDetective and Art Vandelay. That @Art Vandelay, always getting himself in trouble with authority. :oldrazz:

How far do you guys want the unhingedness of Batman to go? Like should they treat being Batman as a drug addiction for Bruce or should it be something that he doesn't really enjoy doing?

Based off some comments and the trailer I'm thinking it's the former

His addiction should be Matches Malone. He should go full Hugh Grant from Paddington 2.

How far do you guys want the unhingedness of Batman to go? Like should they treat being Batman as a drug addiction for Bruce or should it be something that he doesn't really enjoy doing?

I think at first it will be something more of a need in relation with his parents.
He really is obsessed by the fact that he has to do what he thinks is right no matter
what the cost in his personal life.

And I think that's where he'll learn a lot, by finding the real reason he has to do it to become the myth. Not just by vengeance, or anger. Matt Reeves points out that the effect he has on the city is not what he would like it to be. People are afraid and not at ease with his presence around, because of the corruption sure, but because he also has a reputation of not being your friendly neighborhood superhero.

He will surely questions his actions during the course of the film.

Ey4jhDKW8Ak5tiU

With any luck, they'll get to phase 5 first and then who knows wtf. :loco: Could be real wrath of God type stuff! Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies, the dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

Honestly I'd dig something along the lines of Arkham Origins, where not only is it akin to a drug addiction, we see the consequences of that in Bruce's relationships, his ego and insistence of carrying out his crusade alone. Only for him to realise, against this new threat, he can't do it alone. He needs help. And that's what sorta starts his journey into becoming Prime Batman.

I'm not a big fan of the Waynes being corrupt.

It's a super lazy thing to do, and I really hope Reeves doesn't do it. It's the kind of immature 'twist!' that writers employ when they are struggling to come up with decent character conflict and motivation. Bruce's relationship with his dead parents is one of the cornerstones of the Batman mythos. If you undercut that, you're undercutting a major aspect of his character.

It's a super lazy thing to do, and I really hope Reeves doesn't do it. It's the kind of immature 'twist!' that writers employ when they are struggling to come up with decent character conflict and motivation. Bruce's relationship with his dead parents is one of the cornerstones of the Batman mythos. If you undercut that, you're undercutting a major aspect of his character.

I feel like any change to one of the cornerstones of a character can be done well, if written in an interesting way. So long as it isn't just "Waynes bad", but instead "Waynes weren't perfect people and they made mistakes, but they were still good people", that could give some interesting potential for Bruce having to wrestle with the ideal version of his parents vs who they were in reality. We'll only find out when the movie gets released, but going for that angle isn't lazy in my opinion. Ideas themselves aren't really lazy, it's the execution that can be lazy.

The Wayne's were never originally moral paragons like Uncle Ben. They were just motivation for Bruce to become Batman. Over the years they've been portrayed as good people but you have leeway. It's all in the execution. I don't expect Reeves to make it on the nose. There's always a level of depth and nuance to his characters in his movies.

The moral character of Thomas and Martha Wayne isn't all that important. Bruce is an adult who has lived with the trauma of their murder for decades at this point, it's not like them being flawed or even bad people heals that trauma or would make him stop caring about making sure no one else has to go through what he did. If anything it would help emphasize that Bruce's motives go beyond avenging his parents in some way.

The Wayne's were never originally moral paragons like Uncle Ben. They were just motivation for Bruce to become Batman. Over the years they've been portrayed as good people but you have leeway. It's all in the execution. I don't expect Reeves to make it on the nose. There's always a level of depth and nuance to his characters in his movies.
They've rarely been anything more than a headstone. You can really do whatever you want with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"