Civil War The Captain America: Civil War News & Speculation Thread TAG SPOILERS! - - Part 26

Lets put it this way, how many comic films were dark and gritty as well as real world prior to dark knight? Also after dark knight? Thats why it is the standard.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm more concerned with faithfulness to the spirit of the source material than whether it's "dark and gritty".

"Dark and gritty" isn't a necessity for me.

Even if you put TDK at the top of the CBM list, I can't put either BB or TDKR over TWS or CW. I can even put BB over TFA but TDKR with it's bad choreography and plot holes are just too much for me to put it over any Captain America movie.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me, but I'm more concerned with faithfulness to the spirit of the source material than whether it's "dark and gritty".

"Dark and gritty" isn't a necessity for me.

Im kind of the same, if dark and gritty fits the tone of the film then Sure but if it doesnt and your doing dark and gritty just because then it wont work. The spy and intrigue tone worked for TWS where as it wouldnt for age of ultron. Batman is a great use of dark and gritty where as someone like ironman is lighthearted affair. Like you said it it comes down to source material and understanding it completly.

Even if you put TDK at the top of the CBM list, I can't put either BB or TDKR over TWS or CW. I can even put BB or TFA but TDKR with it's bad choreography and plot holes are just too much for me to put it over any Captain America movie.

Thats fair honestly, im pretty much in agreement as far as ranking.

Im kind of the same, if dark and gritty fits the tone of the film then Sure but if it doesnt and your doing dark and gritty just because then it wont work. The spy and intrigue tone worked for TWS where as it wouldnt for age of ultron. Batman is a great use of dark and gritty where as someone like ironman is lighthearted affair. Like you said it it comes down to source material and understanding it completly.

To which I think dark and gritty is fine for TDK, but it seemed like you were saying that dark and gritty was necessary. If i misunderstood, my bad.

Truth be told, if I had to make a list of my favorite CBMs, it'd probably go:
1. The Avengers- just for the sheer enjoyment, faithfulness to the spirit of the books and balls to throw all these characters of different "tone" together and it work.
2. Superman: The Movie- The spin around the world is stupid, but there hasn't been a more faithful rendition of Superman in non-comics media since.
3. Captain America: Winter Solider/Captain America: Civil War- These two are battling it out in my head.
4. The Dark Knight- Best non-animated adaption of Batman ever. Same with the Joker
5. Iron Man- Best origin story for a character on film.

I love dark and gritty if done right but I also like it hell of a lot more when there is a bit of light and heartwarming moments here and there... :)

To which I think dark and gritty is fine for TDK, but it seemed like you were saying that dark and gritty was necessary. If i misunderstood, my bad.

Oh not all, dark and gritty if the story fits it. I couldnt take it if every movie was dark and gritty.

The only reason why I'd put TDKR (and the Nolan Batfilms) above CW (and the Cap trilogy) is because it actually sets out to resolve what it introduces. CW doesn't even try, which is why it doesn't feel like it's capstone of a trilogy. It isn't self-contained - we need to see Avengers 3 (presumably) to see how things resolve properly. Seeing it a second time, I paid more attention to the proceedings and it feels like it's mostly a setup for Avengers 3. A really fun and entertaining setup, with proper character motivations, but a setup.

Don't get me wrong, I think CW is way more "fun" to watch than TDKR, but past the airport fight hijinks, nothing really goes anywhere to warrant that amount of screentime.

Also, the Rachel/Bruce dynamic is given proper importance throughout all three films. Bucky was severely missing in TFA, to be the pivotal relationship he's supposed to have with Steve in TWS and CW.

I always felt that the Rachel dynamic was the worst part, primarily because of Katie Holmes performance in BB. It would have been 10 times better if it was just Dent used but they needed to add a "gf" angle. Honestly, I think that would have put it higher in my books instead of a 8-8.5.

I always felt that the Rachel dynamic was the worst part, primarily because of Katie Holmes performance in BB. It would have been 10 times better if it was just Dent used but they needed to add a "gf" angle. Honestly, I think that would have put it higher in my books instead of a 8-8.5.
Right, but at least they tried to do it in the script. :oldrazz: With Bucky, there's almost nothing.

Eh, it was enough for me. Bucky in the beginning. Rescuing him. Maybe they could have done another 5-10 minutes with him and the Commandos instead of the montage? But I think showing them pre Cap and the aftermath sitting in the bar by himself was more moving for me than even Rachel getting blown up.

Even if you put TDK at the top of the CBM list, I can't put either BB or TDKR over TWS or CW. I can even put BB over TFA but TDKR with it's bad choreography and plot holes are just too much for me to put it over any Captain America movie.

Totally agreed!

For me, it comes down to re-watchability. If I can watch something over and over and never get sick of it.

For me, it comes down to re-watchability. If I can watch something over and over and never get sick of it.

Im that way too. Theres alot of movies I enjoyed at the cinema but when it came to Home release I just couldnt sit through them again without getting restless. I tell you what though whenever heat is on I park it.

Saw this on tumblr, thought it was kind of interesting when thinking about Steve's point of view on the Accords:

http://shanology.tumblr.com/post/144456129715/in-last-years-freedom-in-the-world-survey
In last year’s “Freedom in the World” survey, which annually rates nations based on the political and civil liberties they allow their people, only 86 countries were ranked as “Free”.

117 countries signed the Sokovia Accords.

This means that at least 31 of the countries demanding a say in the actions of the Avengers were nations whose treatment of their own citizens earned them a rating of only “Partly Free” or, worse, “Not Free”.

Can’t really blame Steve for insisting the “safest hands” were their own.

The only reason why I'd put TDKR (and the Nolan Batfilms) above CW (and the Cap trilogy) is because it actually sets out to resolve what it introduces. CW doesn't even try, which is why it doesn't feel like it's capstone of a trilogy. It isn't self-contained - we need to see Avengers 3 (presumably) to see how things resolve properly. Seeing it a second time, I paid more attention to the proceedings and it feels like it's mostly a setup for Avengers 3. A really fun and entertaining setup, with proper character motivations, but a setup.

Don't get me wrong, I think CW is way more "fun" to watch than TDKR, but past the airport fight hijinks, nothing really goes anywhere to warrant that amount of screentime.

Also, the Rachel/Bruce dynamic is given proper importance throughout all three films. Bucky was severely missing in TFA, to be the pivotal relationship he's supposed to have with Steve in TWS and CW.

We disagree on this. I thought TDKR was a terrible movie. Bad script, awkward editing and misunderstanding of the characters. I agree that Nolan tried to wrap everything up, but I don't think the Cap movies should be looked at as a trilogy anyway. This is episodic filmmaking. At most you could call it the "Bucky trilogy".

It's been a while since I watched Nolan's Batman trilogy, but I never got much out of the Rachel/Bruce dynamic. I know it had some importance in Batman Begins, but what huge part did the Rachel/Bruce dynamic play in TDK and TDKR? Rachel was of more importance to Harvey's arc than Bruce's in TDK. Even though the Steve/Bucky dynamic should've had more importance in TFA, it definitely has more importance in TWS and CW, than the Rachel/Bruce dynamic has in TDK and TDKR.

I have made up my mind. I prefer Civil War over The Winter Soldier because Civil War has lots more of comicbook goodness and fun.

I have made up my mind. I prefer Civil War over The Winter Soldier because Civil War has lots more of comicbook goodness and fun.

That's how I'm starting to feel.

That and seeing 3 awesome black characters on screen (and none of them being Shaq) kinda puts this over the top for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"