DC Films The DC Studios News and Discussion Thread

We look at the genre very similarly. I remember those days well. Wizard Magazine is always going to be important to me.

Things have gotten better in some respects- we’re very spoiled now. But a lot of the older adaptations will always be more important to me than the new stuff. It just has a tighter grip on my heart. The 4 Batman movies are always going to be my favorites. And I still think The Flash 1990 is the best adaptation of the character. Superman I and II are still the best adaptations.

We’re in an era where there’s an onslaught of cbm but we’re getting a lot of trash content. Shazam 2, Ant Man, Morbius, most recent Marvel content has been very generic…

I wish the genre could regroup and slow down a bit.

Films like Batman 89, Superman 1 and 2, The Hulk and Spiderman 70s shows, The Wonder Woman 70s show, and the Flash 1990 show were my gateway to those characters as a child growing up in the 80s.

Those live action adaptations eventually led me to the comics when I was a teenager ,as opposed to being a fan of the comics when the films came out.

I was too young follow and read the original Crisis On Infinite Earths, Secret Wars, Death In The Family, Batman Year One, Watchmen, John Bryne's Man Of Steel, The Dark Knight Returns , and those other iconic comicbook storylines when they actually came out throughout the eighties.

There wasn't even a comic book store near my house until the around the mid 90s.

Before we had a comic book store in our city, I would pick up comics at the 7/11 or at a grocery store like Ralphs , Vons, and Alpha Beta, or, I would order them through a mail catalog.

But, those films and tv shows were the spark that inspired me to start collecting the source material as a teenager, which also led me to magazines like Wizard and Hero .

I remember reading magazines like Starlog, Hero Magazine, and Wizard which would tease the arrival of Superhero films which seemed like , were facing insurmountable odds to make it to film.

L_1c3c585e-ae0d-491a-9d73-d17a6ba86f7e.jpg
4959574.jpg

Yeah, there was a section in the back where you could find all the various superhero projects that seemed perpetually stuck in development hell. Wizard was great, though.

Films like Batman 89, Superman 1 and 2, The Hulk and Spiderman 70s shows, The Wonder Woman 70s show, and the Flash 1990 show were my gateway to those characters as a child growing up in the 80s.

Those live action adaptations eventually led me to the comics when I was a teenager ,as opposed to being a fan of the comics when the films came out.

I was too young follow and read the original Crisis On Infinite Earths, Secret Wars, Death In The Family, Batman Year One, Watchmen, John Bryne's Man Of Steel, The Dark Knight Returns , and those other iconic comicbook storylines when they actually came out throughout the eighties.

There wasn't even a comic book store near my house until the around the mid 90s.

Before we had a comic book store in our city, I would pick up comics at the 7/11 or at a grocery store like Ralphs , Vons, and Alpha Beta, or, I would order them through a mail catalog.

But, those films and tv shows were the spark that inspired me to start collecting the source material as a teenager, which also led me to magazines like Wizard and Hero .
Like you, it was live action that led me to the comics, but for me it was Adam West's Batman. I still have strong memories of watching it first time around as a very young child with my Dad. As I got older and read the comics I got more into the serious side of comics storytelling, but I'll always love that series; it's got my favourite Batmobile, my favourite Batcave, my favourite Alfred, and my favourite Catwoman (Julie Newmar :hrt:), even after all these years.

Batman 89 was definitely a turning point for me in making top quality modern (at the time) superhero content seem possible. Was a crazy time when that came out.

Like you it was live action that led me to the comics, but for me it was Adam West's Batman. I still have strong memories of watching it first time around as a very young child with my Dad. As I got older and read the comics I got more into the serious side of comics storytelling, but I'll always love that series; it's got my favourite Batmobile, my favourite Batcave, my favourite Alfred, and my favourite Catwoman (Julie Newmar :hrt:), even after all these years.
I started with the comics but thought they were better than most live action and animation growing up. I wasn’t sure comic films were ever going to get backed properly like the biggest films of the time were, even though I was confident they could succeed if made by the right people with the right budget. Once 89 came out I had all my faith rewarded.

The hype was just unbelievable. Fans ('Finally, a serious Batman on screen!') and GA's alike!
Kind of want to go back in time to resample that experience and excitement again. It kicked off so many ideas and speculation for the CBM future, shame there was no Hype back then! As you say it also got the GA excited about a cool, dark hero a fair bit different from Superman.

Batman '89 was a pop culture phenomenon. I've never seen anything like it again in my lifetime, with any other superhero film. Batman, DC, or MCU. You had to experience it firsthand.
I generally went to the local cinema for movies at that time, but I went up to central London for that one :yay:

Grew up a DC fan!! (Watched superfriends on Saturday morning cartoon!! I’m 60!!) breaks m heart that DC can’t get their crap together!! They should scrap as much stuff as they can…start over… take their time and make whatever laity films!! That was heir original problem!! When the saw how marvel got their cinematic universe together they smashed/rushed theirs and you see what happens!!
Love having some experienced posters on here who’ve seen it all from the start! Totally agreed about the unnecessary rushing with the DCEU. Really annoyed me at the time how they were going about it, but at least we can all look to the future. I hope you can enjoy the new DCU when it gets going. :up:

I generally went to the local cinema for movies at that time, but I went up to central London for that one :yay:
I used to go to central London (Leicester Square) midnight or at least first day showings for every major film in my 20s to early 30s. Such a different experience being with fellow hardcore fans compared to regional cinemas in England.

Grew up a DC fan!! (Watched superfriends on Saturday morning cartoon!! I’m 60!!) breaks m heart that DC can’t get their crap together!! They should scrap as much stuff as they can…start over… take their time and make whatever laity films!! That was heir original problem!! When the saw how marvel got their cinematic universe together they smashed/rushed theirs and you see what happens!!
Ha! Not used to posters being older than me -- I'm 57. I watched Superfriends, too, though I enjoyed the double feature monster movies on Sunday early afternoons more. Saw the Christopher Reeves Supermans at a drive in theater, lol. Good times.

I used to go to central London (Leicester Square) midnight or at least first day showings for every major film in my 20s to early 30s. Such a different experience being with fellow hardcore fans compared to regional cinemas in England.
Yep, Leicester Square! :up:

Batman '89 was a pop culture phenomenon. I've never seen anything like it again in my lifetime, with any other superhero film. Batman, DC, or MCU. You had to experience it firsthand.

Yep. It's impossible to understand unless you were there. I was 9 and it changed my life.

Like you, it was live action that led me to the comics, but for me it was Adam West's Batman. I still have strong memories of watching it first time around as a very young child with my Dad. As I got older and read the comics I got more into the serious side of comics storytelling, but I'll always love that series; it's got my favourite Batmobile, my favourite Batcave, my favourite Alfred, and my favourite Catwoman (Julie Newmar :hrt:), even after all these years.

Batman 89 actually got me into the 60s show, which used to air week nights on the Family Channel here in the USA from the late 80s early 90s.

I remember my mind was totally blown once I found out there had actually been a movie to the series:smilingeyes: .

Julie Newmar spoke at my local shopping mall the Summer of 1989 , so I saw her in person as a 10 year old.

Newmar's probably still my favorite Catwoman followed by Michelle Pfeiffer.

284507261_7410759312332210_7469274187592019471_n.jpg

Batman 89 was definitely a turning point for me in making top quality modern (at the time) superhero content seem possible. Was a crazy time when that came out.

It's still my favorite Batman film after all these years.
By today's CBM standards it seems like an indie , art house flick :smilingeyes:.

But back seeing it at that time, in that place was like , wow, :coolguy:.
I'll never forget it.

michael-keaton-im-batman.gif

joker-really.gif

tumblr_puoyuxMeSU1uorz8zo2_540.gif

399176-dbqvyz8-5497a691-2c56-4deb-b860-7156c75efaf0.gif

giphy.gif

6d1642b0ac60397797f7fdd6d214b8a9a86ffbf5.gif

jack-nicholson-joker1989.gif

OrnateVeneratedKingfisher-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

In today's DC news, Zack Snyder has put out a poster for Snydercon referring to it as the "Snyderverse Trilogy" and thanking WB for "making it happen". The Cult is in meltdown that their "fight" may be over.

Zachary Levi appears to be having some sort of breakdown on an instagram live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"