DC Films The DC Studios News and Discussion Thread

I am about to sound like such a hipster but the 90s animated Marvel Universe is often so much better than a lot of the MCU. The MCU has devolved and I just completely turn off during those CGI overload third acts. It has been feeling more cookie cutter than usual in this current phase.

X-Men TAS, Spider-Man TAS, The Incredible Hulk, Silver Surfer and Fantastic Four from that era are so enjoyable for me. I caught bits and pieces of these when they were newer, but I revisited them on Disney+ and totally fell in love with them! So charming and comic accurate for the most part.

90s Marvel also brought us Blade! I’m sorry but that movie is better than most MCU movies too. I love 90s Marvel.

and here’s a hot take - Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno are better than any Bruce/Hulk we’ve had since. I actually watched for the first time recently the 1989 Trial of the Hulk TV movie and I unironically loved it. So damn enjoyable. I know it didn’t have the budget it needed but once again I think that was better than a lot of the generic 200 million movies they’re putting out now.

Sorry I know this is a DC thread but 90s Marvel came up.

90s DC was next level, they put out most of their best content during this era in my opinion. I’m a huge Schumacher defender. The biggest sin DC committed in the 90s was not letting Tim Burton revitalize public interest in Superman by making his crazy ass Superman Lives. You’ll never convince me otherwise- that was the perfect time to change public perception of the character. He did it for Batman- shedding the baggage of the 66 series with his 89 film. And he would’ve done it with Superman too. It would’ve been weird but I think it would’ve been better than any Superman movie we’ve gotten since then… I definitely think Lives would’ve been better than Returns, MOS, BVS, and ZSJL.

I was following the development of that project before Cage and Burton were even involved, when it was called ,Superman Reborn.

I remember some of the early rumors for Superman Reborn were that Teri Hatcher would be Lois ( Because Lois And Clark was on at the time and Hatcher was like every guys crush in the mid 90s:joking:) , That James Earl Jones would reprise his Lois And Clark role for the film, and that Shaq would appear as Steel in the movie:lol:.

As far as Hulk goes, Bixby and Ferrigno are still the best combo imo, even with all the technology and FX we have today.

There was a real humanity in both of them that the Universal Studios Hulk films and the MCU films just haven't been able to capture.

The biggest sin DC committed in the 90s was not letting Tim Burton revitalize public interest in Superman by making his crazy ass Superman Lives. You’ll never convince me otherwise- that was the perfect time to change public perception of the character. He did it for Batman- shedding the baggage of the 66 series with his 89 film. And he would’ve done it with Superman too. It would’ve been weird but I think it would’ve been better than any Superman movie we’ve gotten since then… I definitely think Lives would’ve been better than Returns, MOS, BVS, and ZSJL.

The Death of "Superman Lives": What Happened? (2015) is a fascinating watch to see the amount of thought and preproduction that went into that project before it was ultimately canceled.

vlcsnap-2019-03-04-00h15m41s658.png vlcsnap-2019-03-03-23h56m50s218.png vlcsnap-2019-03-04-00h05m10s416.png vlcsnap-2019-03-03-23h01m56s767.png vlcsnap-2019-03-03-23h51m35s647.png vlcsnap-2019-03-03-23h29m36s929.png vlcsnap-2019-03-03-22h34m42s826.png

he's just dangling a carrot at this point.
and i think he's simply doing it for fun.

some-men-just-want-to-watch-the-world-burn.gif

i was all for the snyder cut and i still love that film.
but zack, u just simply ****ing with people now.

The Death of "Superman Lives": What Happened? (2015) is a fascinating watch to see the amount of thought and preproduction that went into that project before it was ultimately canceled.

View attachment 63550 View attachment 63551 View attachment 63554 View attachment 63556 View attachment 63557 View attachment 63558 View attachment 63560

The sad thing, to me, about Superman Lives is that the best that film ever looked was with the Kevin Smith script. Tim Burton's story was way less fun, deader and weirder in the bad sense, but that's where all the gorgeous concept art and cool Nic Cage casting comes from. So even when it started becoming a "real" movie, it was never really destined to be good.

I actually like that Superman suit better then the Superman Returns one.
upload_2023-3-25_15-40-25.png

Bryan Singer really should have just used this suit for Superman Returns. The colors pop more. The muscle definition and details actually gives a rubber suit a purpose (whereas in Superman Returns it just looked like Brandon Routh was wearing a light blue stiff rubbermaid trash can for no real good reason). Just make the boots red like the trunks and it would've been a good suit.

Why not? :o Tall good-looking guy with a deep baritone voice that's pretty good at playing complex charismatic business people and that's also excellent at playing imposing characters. He seems kinda born for Batman.
So glad you used that sarcasm emoji!

Did any details of Patty Jenkins ideas for WW3 - that led to her and Warners parting company - ever emerge?

Did any details of Patty Jenkins ideas for WW3 - that led to her and Warners parting company - ever emerge?
Nope. As far as what’s been reported it seems that Patty’s WW3 script suffered from the same story problems that WW84 had and the powers-that-be didn’t like it and wanted revisions.

At this point can we mostly agree that Superman’s public perception isn’t in that much of a better place than it was in the 90s? Reeve in I and II is still the peak portrayal, and it is still extremely flawed.

I would be interested in seeing if Burton’s Superman Lives would have done a better job at revitalizing the brand in the eyes of newer generations. I truly think it would have. The footprint that his Batmania had is immeasurable and everything I’ve seen from Lives looks like it could have done the exact same for Superman. Burton in those days was still on fire- truly one of the most exciting filmmakers in that time.

I loved the cast. I’ve been rewatching the Scream movies and Courtney Cox would have been so perfect as Lois Lane. Bullock would’ve been less exciting in the role.

People hate how Cage looked in the suit but I think it looked really cool and seeing it in action would’ve been different. His look in Con Air was perfect for a long haired 90s Superman.

We could have had Brainiac in live action nearly 25 years ago, but instead we have gotten the same variations of General Zod and Lex Luthor over and over again. Then we get a Doomsday but he is just a clone of General Zod made with help from Lex Luthor.

I still wish we would’ve have gotten that Collin Farrell/Jude Law BvS movie too.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"