DC Films The DC Studios News and Discussion Thread

I do not care for the Centre at all. Now, if Gunn reimagines the Centre as a cosmic, existential Lovecraftian horror? Sure. But the floating sentient island with dinosaurs on it? Hard pass.
On the other hand, I’m all for the Savage Land in the MCU (which is basically the same thing- just better)

Lovecraftian horror is perfect for Starro, but he likely won’t be used now for a JL movie after TSS. White Martians/Imperium have a lot of terrifying potential if done well. A shapeshifting alien race infiltrating Earth’s governments (a la They Live) could be a really good plot line. It would also organically introduce Martian Manhunter.

E6BA0C39-945E-4AE7-BB16-0DE52A41D205.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't know if this is to be considered in any way reliable (I haven't been following Blue Beetle news)...

Blue Beetle Trailer Rumored to Drop Next Week, Running 2 Minutes and 27 Seconds - Nerdmoz - Latest Nerd News

The response to this should be an interesting litmus test of where the audience is when it comes to superhero movies. This is a new IP, so will it generate hype based on being something fresh? Or will it suffer from the same malaise that Quantumania and Shazam 2 had? I definitely feel like the rest of this year is going to tell us if this genre is over as the main force in cinema, or if it's going to be an ongoing thing for years to come. This might be a good next indication.

The response to this should be an interesting litmus test of where the audience is when it comes to superhero movies. This is a new IP, so will it generate hype based on being something fresh? Or will it suffer from the same malaise that Quantumania and Shazam 2 had? I definitely feel like the rest of this year is going to tell us if this genre is over as the main force in cinema, or if it's going to be an ongoing thing for years to come. This might be a good next indication.
I think if it's marketed right it could do pretty well (maybe catch some of that 'Spider-Man' love); but as with Shazam!, the sequel (if it gets one) will be telling. I'm not interested in BB as a character, but at the same time I don't dislike him, so I'm going to use myself as a barometer... :funny: If it pulls me in I reckon it might do okay.

I don't know if this is to be considered in any way reliable (I haven't been following Blue Beetle news)...

Blue Beetle Trailer Rumored to Drop Next Week, Running 2 Minutes and 27 Seconds - Nerdmoz - Latest Nerd News

I quickly thought about this earlier today and wonder if the timing to release this trailer is really judicious. I thought it would have been wiser to let the public breathe a little after Ant-Man and Shazam failures and the obvious fatigue... But I didn't knew that Blue Beetle is actually set to be released as soon as next August. So yeah, time to start a campaign I guess...

I sure don't run a studio and I don't know what the competition is, but in my mind, that film could still have benefited from a release a little later in the year. I think Warner/DC should put the whole superheroes thing a bit on hold, at least in the media, until we get closer to The Flash. If, as expected, this movie manages to counteract the growing apathy for the genre, then there, ride the wave and promote your next DC movie.
That's probably what's going to happen anyway in some form. My point is more that I think things might have a better effect by being more diluted throughout the year.

Anyway, we'll see, but I don't expect things to be easy for this film, no matter how it looks.

Last edited:
Well Blue Beetle has some things working for it that those other two films don't...

Plus it likely cost very little.

I was collecting when this reboot happened so I have a soft spot for Jaime. That and All New Atom were awesome!

Linking the article on DC's official website for easy reference, which has Gunn and Safran laying out background thoughts and details for each of the first ten DCU projects (five live action movies, four live action HBO series, one animated HBO series);

Creature Commandos (Animated HBO Max series)
Waller (Live action HBO Max series)
Superman: Legacy (Live action movie)
Lanterns (Live action HBO Max series)
The Authority (Live action movie)
Paradise Lost (Live action HBO Max series)
The Brave and the Bold (Live action movie)
Booster Gold (Live action HBO Max series)
Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow (Live action movie)
Swamp Thing (Live action movie)
While all ten projects are in active development, some are further along than others and both Gunn and Safran emphasize that things may shift around.

“What we’re starting with today is the first part of the first chapter of our universe,” reveals Safran. “That first chapter’s called ‘Gods and Monsters.’ Many of the following projects are already being worked on, but we’re remaining flexible and we’re going to adjust because we’re never going to put a project into production before the script is right. This is a general timeline, but there will be flexibility within it.”
The Next Generation of DC Movies and TV Has Arrived... | DC

Last edited:
Jaime Reyes/Blue Beetle feels like a cross between Spider-Man and Iron Man. With that and a whole generation growing up with him in Batman: The Brave and The Bold and Young Justice, I think Blue Beetle might just be a surprise hit.

Hopefully they have enough sense to let it be a standalone experience (at least for now) with no cameos or end credit teases.

Been thinking about Gal Gadot. One way to keep her around (if she wanted) - although not as a regular - would be for the handover from her to the new actress to be done with a revelation that Gal's Diana/Themyscira etc is all Earth-2, and that the new WW will be Earth-1, in exactly the same way as happened when the original comics transitioned from Golden Age to Silver Age. It would also mean she was in place for an appearance in Crisis on Infinite Earths (if that ever happens).

I think the fact that Gal hasnt even promoted her appearance in Shazam says volumes. Shes done and she knows it. I’m expecting her not to say a word about The Flash either.

Has Gal been removed from The Flash? I keep reading conflicting info whether she's still in the movie.

I think the fact that Gal hasnt even promoted her appearance in Shazam says volumes. Shes done and she knows it. I’m expecting her not to say a word about The Flash either.
I agree she most likely is. Just thinking about Gunn's comments about discussing other possibilities with her (which I know can be corporate BS for 'She's gone but I don't wanna say so yet') and a path they could take if she did stay around (albeit very much in the background).

Seeing what Daley & Goldstein are capable of with first Game Night and now Dungeons & Dragons (of which I had never been a fan before, outside of just being a fan of the fantasy genre), I really wish I could have seen their vision for The Flash.

Blue beetle is a great example of confusion, IMO. Who asked for this movie? I’d wager, very few. How are we supposed to start over when blue beetle is now among the first superheroes? WB doesn’t care.

So that Blue Beetle trailer...

I understand that some tropes are more or less inevitable when telling superhero origin stories, but does all these movies needs to always use the exact same template when it come to the filmmaking in itself ?
Right now, nothing there stands out to me. And with audiences getting a fatigue for the genre, that kind of generic looking movie are/will be the first to suffer. I haven't seen Shazam 2 but I'd say that this Blue Beetle look like it's coming from the same mold and I guess it will also ends up crawling into the same coffin...

That post sounds harsher than I want it to be, but... yeah.

Last edited:
blue beetle looks fun.
like a late 90s, early 2000s kids superhero film, but with updated vfx.

and yeah, it's got a bit of that japanese tokusatsu feel to it. like dc's version of the guyver.

i got no complaints.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"