DC Films The DC Studios News and Discussion Thread

Zazlov has way more to worry about than The Flash...it is easily the least impactful criticism he is receiving right now.

True, but the reality is , Zaslov is getting piled over alot of the hype on this film more than Gunn is ,which was my point.

I highly doubt he's fine with the criticism , but you're correct, in that it's not the worse criticisms he's received.

Nothing has changed. Gunn’s movie/universe has absolutely nothing to do with The Flash. This is like saying pressure was on Nolan for TDKR because GL flopped. It’s nonsensical.
That is apples to oranges comparison. Nolan’s Batman is more like Matt Reeves The Batman. Green Lantern was never a start or an ending to a universe. The Flash was supposed to change everything. It was supposed to end the DCEU on a good note then help usher the next steps for the DCU. Some of you seem to ignore the point that I said Gunn can succeed but it’s going to be hard. The Flash hurt the DC brand.

Gunn has gone out of his way to call The Flash one of the greatest cb flicks of all time. That wasnt bs corporate talk either, he was sincere. His general taste is eh, but I get it, he made ya'll fall in love with a talkin raccoon, how hard can Supes be after that? I think he has a lot of chinks in his armor, hopefully it wont all stick to Supes, but I aint hopeful till I see the damn flick. I also dont see Blue Beetle setting the box office world on fire either and that flick is part now of this new Gunn universe. Eh.

I believe he liked it...I also believe he is only taking about it so much cause he is supposed to because of his job.

It's not that crazy to think he might like the film a lot...

Last edited:
Gunn has gone out of his way to call The Flash one of the greatest cb flicks of all time. That wasnt bs corporate talk either, he was sincere. His general taste is eh, but I get it, he made ya'll fall in love with a talkin raccoon, how hard can Supes be after that? I think he has a lot of chinks in his armor, hopefully it wont all stick to Supes, but I aint hopeful till I see the damn flick. I also dont see Blue Beetle setting the box office world on fire either and that flick is part now of this new Gunn universe. Eh.
I don’t know. Legacy can be like the Batman and be fine. Gunn was not the only one that believed in the Flash. Blue Beetle was supposed to be a Max movie dumping it in August tells you what DC expects from it. Blue Beetle is below Shazam when it comes to comic book heroes. If the Spanish fan’s support the movie DC will get a win. If not no big deal. Aquaman actually has no pressure at all.

I don’t know. Legacy can be like the Batman and be fine. Gunn was not the only one that believed in the Flash. Blue Beetle was supposed to be a Max movie dumping it in August tells you what DC expects from it. Blue Beetle is below Shazam when it comes to comic book heroes. If the Spanish fan’s support the movie DC will get a win. If not no big deal. Aquaman actually has no pressure at all.

I tend to think that Zaslov, Gunn and Safrin all believed it was the best of the films they inherited , meaning BA, Batgirl , Shazam! 2 , Blue Beetle and Aquaman 2 .

Yeah, there was alot of hype and bluster , which I can get why they would do that.

But I also think that those three did like the film ,and felt is was the strongest of what they had to deal with.

I believe he liked it...I also believe he is only taking about it so much cause he is supposed to because of his job.

It's not that crazy yo think he might like the film a lot...

Nah, I saw his corporate yes man act on Shazam 2. He has gone out his way for Flash. Most recently on that podcast with a good friend of his. Gunn is saying all the right things to the legit Supe fans, but now he has to deliver.

I tend to think that Zaslov, Gunn and Safrin all believed it was the best of the films they inherited , meaning BA, Batgirl , Shazam! 2 , Blue Beetle and Aquaman 2 .

Yeah, there was alot of hype and bluster , which I can get why they would do that.

But I also think that those three did like the film ,and felt is was the strongest of what they had to deal with.
You just made the best point the last few days of us lamenting the failure of the Flash. The studio invested in the Hamadaverse and had to release those movies. Gunn really has nothing to do with any of these movies. Zaslov told Gunn to be a company man because the studio has to get as much money as possible out of the investment.

You just made the best point the last few days of us lamenting the failure of the Flash. The studio invested in the Hamadaverse and had to release those movies. Gunn really has nothing to do with any of these movies. Zaslov told Gunn to be a company man because the studio has to get as much money as possible out of the investment.

That's why I haven't come down on Gunn in the fallout of this, Black Adam, Shazam 2 , etc.

At the end of the day , Gunn , Safrin, and Zaslav inherited this project from the last regime , and by hook or by crook, they had to turn of profit on it .

I have to side partly with @DCDAVE.

Much of general audience doesn't care at all about things like DCU, DCEU, etc. Right now they've seen a Flash movie they didn't like and it's one more "DC" project that falls into that category.
About those interested in labels and behind the scenes stuff, I still read a lot of these people mistaking The Flash for the first film in the "Gunnverse", seeing it as a passage between the past and the future, which in reality is not the case.

My point is that, as I said in another thread, from a marketing point of view, DC/WB probably made a mistake communicating about the reboot in detail so early. Sure, things can be made clearer later, but right now everything is way too intertwined and it just muddies the waters for nothing.
Here again, there are still two films from the old regime to be released. Yet, they didn't wait to already announce Muschietti as the future of Batman. Even if he may deliver something different in 2 or 3 years, already teasing a cinematic rebirth with the guy who currently has a poorly-received film in theaters, with in it several versions of the same character he'll adapt again later, is very questionable timing...

Anyway, as others have also said, it will be 100% on Superman: Legacy to bring back general audience interest. And, in my opinion, that can only be achieved by showing a true change, perceptible from the very first images, teaser, whatever. Beyond the necessity of having a solid story, that thing must not look like any other superhero movie and I think Gunn knows this. I guess his desire to develop "an aesthetic that has never existed before" for the film might, partly, also be motivated by this.

Last edited:
They just need a hard reset. Send Blue Beetle and Aquaman 2 to streaming and forget it.

This weird hybrid reboot won’t work. I know they want to keep Peacemaker but it just won’t work since it’s tied to DCEU. Walker show? Forget it.

Comic book movies are going through an impasse right now. Let the other companies take their licks. Don’t show any behind the scenes for Superman. Keep it as secret as possible. Then show that first teaser and make it count. No Jesus metaphors. No angsty identity crisis. Make it hopeful. Make it a wow factor.

But they need to step away. The more you starve people, the hungrier they will be. Keep feeding them this crap, and they won’t care about a new Superman.

Blue Beetle is part of the Gunnverse. And they already have it advertised as a theater film. They arent going to tank it just cause 12 fanboys said they should on a message board.

Some of you are just way overthinking this.

Last edited:
Blue Beetle is part of the Gunnverse. And they already have it advertised as a theater film. They arent going to tank it just cause 12 fanboys said they should on a message board.

Some of you are just way overthinking this.
Maybe Blue Beetle can be the Spider-Man of the DCU. :think:

It kind of seems that is where they are going...though obviously in a smaller capacity.

What is happening with DC happens all the time with failing sports teams. The new coach or GM does their best to right the ship but it takes time and patience. They are often stuck with bad situations that need to play out (player contracts, schedule issues, mismanagement...etc) and it can often get worse before it gets better. (And sometimes it doesn't) They have a plan, but it might take a lot of time to get there.

The problem with any fandom (especially on the internet) is that patience is not something that is common. We crave the here and now. Every step must move forward, any setback proves things aren't working. There is a severe lack of longterm vision we are stuck in the moment.

Look Gunn may succeed, he may fail...none of us know. But until we get to the point where his full vision is being implemented none of it really matters. He is going to say all the right things about the films because that is his job and also be doing what needs to be done to make the films he wants to make going forward. Most people won't care until they see a trailer...we are just crazy!

I have to side partly with @DCDAVE.

Much of general audience doesn't care at all about things like DCU, DCEU, etc. Right now they've seen a Flash movie they didn't like and it's one more "DC" project that falls into that category.
About those interested in labels and behind the scenes stuff, I still read a lot of these people mistaking The Flash for the first film in the "Gunnverse", seeing it as a passage between the past and the future, which in reality is not the case.

My point is that, as I said in another thread, from a marketing point of view, DC/WB probably made a mistake communicating about the reboot in detail so early. Sure, things can be made clearer later, but right now everything is way too intertwined and it just muddies the waters for nothing.
Here again, there are still two films from the old regime to be released. Yet, they didn't wait to already announce Muschietti as the future of Batman. Even if he may deliver something different in 2 or 3 years, already teasing a cinematic rebirth with the guy who currently has a poorly-received film in theaters, with in it several versions of the same character he'll adapt again later, is very questionable timing...

Anyway, as others have also said, it will be 100% on Superman: Legacy to bring back general audience interest. And, in my opinion, that can only be achieved by showing a true change, perceptible from the very first images, teaser, whatever. Beyond the necessity of having a solid story, that thing must not look like any other superhero movie and I think Gunn knows this. I guess his desire to develop "an aesthetic that has never existed before" for the film might, partly, also be motivated by this.

It makes perfect sense to announce Muschietti because they want The Flash to make as much money as possible.

The GA won’t remember The Flash by 2026/27.

Bingo. It's like announcing a Green Lantern sequel to try and prop up ticket sales. It's forgotten in 6 months.

I’ll also add that Gunn and Safran had no option but to announce the reboot when they did. Cavill was doing press about returning as Superman, Gadot and Jenkins were pitching WW3, Batfleck was returning for TF and filming a cameo in Aquaman and rumours were swirling about Crisis…

Without announcing it DC would be in an even more toxic place than it is now.

What is happening with DC happens all the time with failing sports teams. The new coach or GM does their best to right the ship but it takes time and patience. They are often stuck with bad situations that need to play out (player contracts, schedule issues, mismanagement...etc) and it can often get worse before it gets better. (And sometimes it doesn't) They have a plan, but it might take a lot of time to get there.
Perfect analogy.

Bingo. It's like announcing a Green Lantern sequel to try and prop up ticket sales. It's forgotten in 6 months.
I remember when they promised a sequel to FANT4STIC! :funny:

It makes perfect sense to announce Muschietti because they want The Flash to make as much money as possible.

The GA won’t remember The Flash by 2026/27.

Oh yeah, I totally understand why they're doing this and I talked about it in another post a few days ago.

But my idea is more that when Gunn is trying to put together a huge franchise that should span a decade, these little tricks to maintain the palliative care of what's a D.O.A. movie anyway, may be clumsier than under other circumstances.

Yes, some will forget that Muschietti did The Flash a few years from now. And some don't.
Where we may disagree a bit is that for me, at a time when the public finally seems to be becoming a little more exigent on these films, there's a risk of already creating links between current failures and what should be a renaissance to come. Again, a matter of opinion of course, but from my perspective, this timing just helps this association to stick more easily in people's minds and eventually kills the hype before anything really gets started. (we can already read mainstream cinema media stories about the director of the latest disappointing US blockbuster being given the keys to Batman...).
More generally, this just keeps that same old "bad buzz" around DC movies alive and if there's anything the DCU could welcome, it's a little bit more of goodwill...

That's why I really think things should be quieter about the upcoming DCU, at least until the end of 2023.

I’ll also add that Gunn and Safran had no option but to announce the reboot when they did. Cavill was doing press about returning as Superman, Gadot and Jenkins were pitching WW3, Batfleck was returning for TF and filming a cameo in Aquaman and rumours were swirling about Crisis…

Without announcing it DC would be in an even more toxic place than it is now.

It's understandable. But, in my opinion, there's no need to give too many details on top of the initial announcement.
As I said in my initial post, having news too intertwined about projects from the old and the new regimes doesn't help create a real sense of rupture, especially when some players are common to both.
While we wait for the last ruins of what was started 10 years ago to be cleaned up, a few little nuggets on Superman - Legacy could/should be enough to tease and excite about the future.

Last edited:
I think the Jenkins situation will eventually come back to bite him. She will eventually speak her truth/her version of what happened and it will bring bad rep/comments, but this is DC, time to ge use to it. heh.

You mean how they gave her (Patty) carte blanche, she threw a hissy fit during the Pandemic, made a big deal about signing to make other franchise films, her movie stunk, her other franchise film got canceled and now she has nothing because she burned her bridges?

She bet on herself and lost.

BTW I was talking to my dad who still reads reviews for films...I guess our local guy who is very hard to please gave The Flash 4+ stars. My dad was shocked...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"