DC Films The DC Studios News and Discussion Thread

Aren't you a Snyder/DCEU Superman fan?

I can't see Gunn doing more damage to cinematic Superman than Snyder has.

That is correct and I am a fan of Zack. And? Regardless of the critical reception or the vile fan reaction in the ever-so pleasant comic book movie fandom, that area in these circles never and will ever stop me from enjoying things I personally enjoy. Now the "DCEU" and slash statement you made is another story, but I digress since all of what has transpired in the past is irrelevant to what is about to happen next with the DCU.

That said, I have already touched upon Gunn having an obvious flare when it comes to his films, and it is also obvious that he does indeed have a pulse on what the general audience enjoys when it comes to the CBM (as evidence in his GotG trilogy) but that still doesn't keep my concerns away from a director of his caliber taking on Superman and being automatically successful. I obviously want that (badly) but I also think Superman fans in general understand the history of Superman on the big screen and the many failed adaptations that never even got off the ground. The history speaks for itself. I have my concerns. Until I see a single frame out Gunn's Superman movie, or his DCU as a whole, those concerns will remain (and rightfully so). DC/WB won't get my blind faith until they show me. For that, in a weird way, is a healthy place to be as a DC (and especially a Superman fan) going forward.

That is correct and I am a fan of Zack. And? Regardless of the critical reception or the vile fan reaction in the ever-so pleasant comic book movie fandom, that area in these circles never and will ever stop me from enjoying things I personally enjoy.

That's cool. Personal enjoyment is one thing, but it seems incongruent to be concerned about one person "damaging the brand" while being a fan of another person whose take on Superman definitely damaged the brand.

Now the "DCEU" and slash statement you made is another story, but I digress since all of what has transpired in the past is irrelevant to what is about to happen next with the DCU.

Not really, seeing as how DCEU's various problems resulted in the DCU in the first place. What's about to happen is in some ways a response to what has happened.

That's cool. Personal enjoyment is one thing, but it seems incongruent to be concerned about one person "damaging the brand" while being a fan of another person whose take on Superman definitely damaged the brand.

The point is, what is the Superman brand on the big screen? The events of prior films like Superman Returns led to movies and takes on the character like Man of Steel.

Gunn is a good director, but so was Bryan Singer at the time who was coming hot off his X-Men success. On paper, Singer directing Superman should have been a walk in the park. He even brought back the beloved Christopher Reeve Donnerverse and cast a lookalike in the role, but it wasn't enough. Nostalgia? Wasn't enough. That led to Man of Steel. People wanted more action. Man of Steel was full of action. Again, it wasn't enough.

Point is, though I was a fan of prior installments and carnations of the character, history shows that Gunn taking over Superman, no matter how successful he handled other franchises, is a tough task. Gunn will officially be under intense scrutiny and under that microscope more-so than he ever has in his entire career (which is why he was always hesitant taking on big guns like Superman before).

I want Superman to succeed on the big screen and if Gunn misfires, then the Superman brand will be out of ammo faster than a speeding bullet so yeah, I am certainly concerned about Legacy's reception regardless of past interpretations.

Not really, seeing as how DCEU's various problems resulted in the DCU in the first place. What's about to happen is in some ways a response to what has happened.

That is essentially what I am saying. Zack Snyder hasn't been apart of DC/WB for awhile, yet, the studio still decided to handle the Superman character like they did, so they are equally, if not even more to blame than a director.

Difference is, Gunn admitted that he has full control of the IP and direction of these films being the co-CEO of DC Studios, something Zack never had (Gunn's words) so there will be no meddling, which puts even more stock in Gunn directing since it will ALL be on him. That must be terrifying, and I respect that. The fate of the DCU swings from Superman's cape. Again, exciting and terrifying all wrapped up into one. Let's see if Gunn can pull it off.

I can't wait to see the next bald actor playing Superman.

294h80mc0t401.jpg

I've been a poster on this site for nearly 21 years. If I ask a poster a question, it's not because I'm new here.

It's all good. I don't sweat it. I was entering in Myspace shirt-rip competitions back in the Superman Returns days and tied a towel around my shoulders since I was 5 or younger. We're all here because we love these characters. It starts and ends there.

Superman Legacy screen tests to take place this week. It's down to Corenswet, Hoult, and Tom Brittney.

Wasn't familiar with Brittney, so looked him up to hear what his voice sounded like (I'm big on Superman's voice) and I thought I was trippin' out. His voice is literally Henry Cavill's. Can't play with that fire. Don't think you can go that route and Hoult has exactly zero jawline (he has to be Lex).

Corenswet is the guy. He's right there for the picking :fingerscrossed:

Superman Legacy screen tests to take place this week. It's down to Corenswet, Hoult, and Tom Brittney.

Wasn't familiar with Brittney, so looked him up to hear what his voice sounded like (I'm big on Superman's voice) and I thought I was trippin' out. His voice is literally Henry Cavill's. Can't play with that fire. Don't think you can go that route and Hoult has exactly zero jawline (he has to be Lex).

Corenswet is the guy. He's right there for the picking :fingerscrossed:
Rachel needs to be Lois.

Rachel needs to be Lois.

I'd be happy with that. Rachel gives off some major Margot Kidder vibes and David has a similar speaking tone to Reeve. Their pairing together would automatically bring us into that world. Rachel is 32, so that is lining up with where Gunn might want to position the DCU with age. I can see the DCU Batman around 34 or 35. The 10 year plan could work if they can all grow together if the DCU takes off.

It's all good. I don't sweat it. I was entering in Myspace shirt-rip competitions back in the Superman Returns days and tied a towel around my shoulders since I was 5 or younger. We're all here because we love these characters. It starts and ends there.
Shirt-rip competitions? These sound awesome. :D

Say whatever you will about James Gunn but judging from this clip I think he really understands DC. I think it’s great he’s not some generic corporate studio head, but a true blue creative with a strong love and passion for the brand while that alone doesn’t guarantee he’ll be successful at the very least it’s encouraging, imo. I’ll be rooting for his success, even though at this point he does have a bit of an uphill battle regarding trying rehabilitate the brand following the collapse of the old DCEU.

From Gunn’s interview on Michael Rosenbaum’s podcast, it sounds like Xolo has been given the tick to come into the DCU.

Makes sense, given how it has a different vibe than the other DC films. Kind of in a weird position to be in, given that it comes before Aquaman 2, which I believe is supposed to be the last actual DCEU film? But it felt from the start that Blue Beetle could fit into either or. Glad that, hopefully, we get to see more of his corner of the DC universe in the DCU. Well, that and hopefully the film is profitable since that plan could change.

Honestly, since the trailer, I kind of figured that Blue Beetle would be in the new universe. Unless it references actual events from films there is no reason it has to be tied to what came before.

Makes sense, given how it has a different vibe than the other DC films. Kind of in a weird position to be in, given that it comes before Aquaman 2, which I believe is supposed to be the last actual DCEU film? But it felt from the start that Blue Beetle could fit into either or. Glad that, hopefully, we get to see more of his corner of the DC universe in the DCU. Well, that and hopefully the film is profitable since that plan could change.
From the (obviously) little I've seen and the tone, I could see Blue Beetle occupying the same corner of the DCU that they hoped Shazam would occupy in the DCEU.

Currently watching! Rosenbaum has been crushing it with his podcast lately.

Gunn says a lot of reassuring things when talking about the current state of the genre. He knows standards are too low.
For all my criticisms of shared universes, I'm really rooting for him. I really believe he wants something different and more authentic.

Also, what he says at 1:14:35 is gospel to my ears.
Because this approach, which I have always defended, means that Gunn won't hesitate to embrace the iconicity of the DC universe.
I've always said that these characters, their world and concepts should be treated with the same dedication that Jackson gave to Tolkien’s creations. No irony, no second degree to get you out of the movie, no winking from the director or the writer to say "yes, we know it’s all silly".
Nowadays, too many adaptations fall into this trap, not totally asuming the material but at the same time wanting you to be moved two scenes later. In my opinion, it's just cheap and don't work (unless you're brain dead... hum sorry).

I just want to really feel in another world for two hours or so. Don’t feel ashamed of the license you adapt, work on good stories and I can suspend my disbelief just fine.

Last edited:
Gunn says a lot of reassuring things when talking about the current state of the genre. He knows standards are too low.
For all my criticisms of shared universes, I'm really rooting for him. I really believe he wants something different and more authentic.

Also, what he says at 1:14:35 is gospel to my ears.
Because this approach, which I have always defended, means that Gunn will not hesitate to embrace the iconicity of the DC universe.
I've always said that these characters, their world and concepts should be treated with the same dedication that Jackson gave to Tolkien’s creations. No irony, no second degree to get you out of the movie, no winking from the director or the writer to say "yes, we know it’s all silly".
Nowadays, too many adaptations fall into this trap, not totally asuming the material but at the same time wanting you to be moved two scenes later. In my opinion, it's just cheap and don't work unless you're brain dead.

I just want to really feel in another world for two hours. Don’t feel ashamed of the license you adapt, work on a good stories and I can suspend my desbilief just fine.

100% agree with all you said! I think if more people on the fence with James Gunn see this, they may be a little more optimistic! Time will tell, but I liked pretty much everything he said!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"