The Gifted The Gifted General Discussion

I don't necessarily see that with Stephen Moyer's character since he's obviously the most important & most developed member of the family.

I'm hoping if the next season puts more focus on mutants in even closer proximity with regular folk and the network is more widespread, they'll find their footing on how to grow the mainstays as they switch between them and the supporting cast. This is especially since with said mainstays being split into several factions.

I don't necessarily see that with Stephen Moyer's character since he's obviously the most important & most developed member of the family.

I'm hoping if the next season puts more focus on mutants in even closer proximity with regular folk and the network is more widespread, they'll find their footing on how to grow the mainstays as they switch between them and the supporting cast. This is especially since with said mainstays being split into several factions.

I strongly disagree about Moyer's character. He gets to do things, but does not really evolve. The only "development" he has comes from the reveal about his family's mutant origins, but the writers are unable to translate this revelation into a meaningful psychological change for the character. It doesn't help that the actor is so wooden. When Reed reveals he is also a mutant in the series finale, it's almost as if no one cares.

The parents are clearly PoV characters for the audiences, yet the clueless writers mostly used them as plot devices or to ridicule their choices/praise the holier-than-thou mutants. They dropped the ball on them in ways which are baffling. The waste of Acker's potential is especially mind-boggling. Nix's Caitlin has almost no backstory, no life of her own, functions as a cheer-leading prop, scared mother and/or wife. However, when the going gets tough, she's often the only one who thinks rationally, is strong and cold-blooded and gets the job done - it's as if the writers have brief spells of lucidity in which they are reminded that Caitlin has tons of experience as a nurse and as an actual human being, and that she's played by the best actress on the show.

I'm glad lead characters will be interacting more with the outside world. One of the show's huge problems has been the world-building: the mutants were basically shown carrying blankets, while the vision of the outside world lacked nuance: it was reduced to people wanting to kill/enslave mutants.

I hope next season will bring more familiar faces to this show. They can at least introduce the Morlocks; Callisto would be great addition and two more that don’t require a lot of CGI, Boom Boom, Berzerker, Multiple Man would be nice to see since they have ties to the X-Men since it doesn’t look like we’ll see Anna, Halle, or Patrick guest starring ( I hope I’m not wrong) and also bring in some Brotherhood characters too.

I strongly disagree about Moyer's character. He gets to do things, but does not really evolve. The only "development" he has comes from the reveal about his family's mutant origins, but the writers are unable to translate this revelation into a meaningful psychological change for the character. It doesn't help that the actor is so wooden. When Reed reveals he is also a mutant in the series finale, it's almost as if no one cares.

Everyone had their guards up toward him especially since he's been so closely associated with the enemy & has had to do some shady stuff to get by. The evolution with him on that front is fairly obvious and as useful as a medic wife is, he gets into the trenches to show how much he's willing.
He's been the Strucker who always came across as leading or co-leading a pack; be it his family or a ragtag group. I don't know how much more psychological it should have gotten from those revelations. It's too belated to do anything about him once having mutant powers. The same goes for saying he's a mutant then & there when his dad supposedly cured him. If his powers manifest again that will be the time and place for it.

Everyone had their guards up toward him especially since he's been so closely associated with the enemy & has had to do some shady stuff to get by. The evolution with him on that front is fairly obvious and as useful as a medic wife is, he gets into the trenches to show how much he's willing.
He's been the Strucker who always came across as leading or co-leading a pack; be it his family or a ragtag group. I don't know how much more psychological it should have gotten from those revelations. It's too belated to do anything about him once having mutant powers. The same goes for saying he's a mutant then & there when his dad supposedly cured him. If his powers manifest again that will be the time and place for it.

Was it an evolution, though: he just flip-flopped because his own family is involved. His wife went "to the trenches" too, e.g., in ep. 2, but once the husband was back, she no longer got to decide about anything in this marriage. It didn't feel organic to me, just like Reed's pep talk in the finale.

Make no mistake: I blame the writing first and foremost, but I'm not confident Moyer has the ability to do anything interesting with his storyline (mind you, unlike Acker, he at least got a backstory) and I'm pretty sure even the "dormant powers" red herring will go to waste. I wish Moyer was a better actor but apart from a few poignant moments (e.g., when he answers Marcos's question about parenthood) he simply can't emote. Maybe that's why I could never relate to the character.

Was it an evolution, though: he just flip-flopped because his own family is involved. His wife went "to the trenches" too, e.g., in ep. 2, but once the husband was back, she no longer got to decide about anything in this marriage. It didn't feel organic to me, just like Reed's pep talk in the finale.

Make no mistake: I blame the writing first and foremost, but I'm not confident Moyer has the ability to do anything interesting with his storyline (mind you, unlike Acker, he at least got a backstory) and I'm pretty sure even the "dormant powers" red herring will go to waste. I wish Moyer was a better actor but apart from a few poignant moments (e.g., when he answers Marcos's question about parenthood) he simply can't emote. Maybe that's why I could never relate to the character.

To get on better terms with the people he screwed over? Actively put himself in harm's way for the sake of others?
Not as interested in his powers resurging as I'm in his role from here-on forth since the underground lost some key folks.

I keep hearing about Acker, but I don't have much of a history with her other roles. Didn't even recall she was on Angel. If her versatility is playing a cold & calculated assassin, I don't know the natural progression from where she is now to that.

I would have dropped this show within the first few episodes if there wasn't an actor on it I liked enough to tough it out, but this was bad. I was put off by the initial trailers but reeled back in by the reviews and then...yikes. Half of the cast is just boring to watch, with Stephen Moyer and the kid playing Andy downright painful to watch as they try to emote (or don't try, in Moyer's case). Moyer's reaction to finding out his kids are mutants in the pilot is memorably horrible. I don't even buy that he's married to Acker's character, because I feel like some scenes that are supposed to be sweet between them feel downright uncomfortable and awkward because she's playing it with a block of wood. Not to mention just wasting the best actor on this show. I can't say if he or his son are worse by the end of the series, as any conflict Andy has comes off whiny and unconvincing as when he's angry. Despite spending a whole season with these characters though, I feel like a lot of them just feel unsubstantial. Half the season, they all feel like stock archetypes, but especially the Struckers. It gets a little less generic for some of them as backstory is introduced, but as the backstory focused on Moyer, I feel it all falls flat due to his acting.

The pacing was pretty bad too. It felt like they shoved several episodes into the pilot and then stretched things out for several episodes that felt inconsequential. But then once Moyer got back I was begging for inconsequential him not there to come back so I guess careful what you wish for.

But by far the worst part is the writing whenever they try to do the metaphor. I don't think that it's a particularly great metaphor to begin with when it's focused on heavily but here it's at some of it's worst. It's so hamfisted and superficial, right off the bat in the pilot having them outright make the comparison to racism. Phrasing the incident that led to the current situation like 9/11. Just inserting lines and slogans with the subtlety of a sledgehammer, outright stating things as though screaming at the audience "hey guys, get it, it's like racism," "get it, it's like homophobia!"

They have two shows running at the moment, and the quality gap between them is staggering.

Honestly, it's like I can feel the writers' desperation in trying to keep the parents relevant solely because of the actors who play them.
With Acker, I'd get that. But they have done little to nothing with her, so I feel like they don't really care that they cast Amy "****ing": Acker and just have the mom there because that is what is expected. Allowing them to do their tired tropes with the rest of the family. You especially see this with the husband. So much revolves around him, his bloodline and even she is propping him up.

Bill from True Blood, is kept very prominent, even as he can't well... act. :funny:

This is just me guessing, because I don't know. But I get this feeling that they changed the original idea for this show, and Bill from True Blood went from antagonist to protagonist, and in the process cutting off the legs of Acker's character. I get this vibe from the first two episodes. This lead to Polaris being pregnant and getting back to her boyfriend rather quickly, as opposed to say Acker and him bonding for a bit, making stuff awkward when she got back.

Not that any of this would have been good. But it is the vibe I get from hearing they changed his character a bit.

I keep hearing about Acker, but I don't have much of a history with her other roles. Didn't even recall she was on Angel. If her versatility is playing a cold & calculated assassin, I don't know the natural progression from where she is now to that.

No, that's not what makes her versatile. :whatever: Anyone who watched Angel, Dollhouse, and especially Person of Interest knows what I'm talking about.

No, that's not what makes her versatile. :whatever: Anyone who watched Angel, Dollhouse, and especially Person of Interest knows what I'm talking about.

Like I said haven't watched. Was referring to the opposite of this current role she's playing. Either the way she's written or acting, I wouldn't have guessed she had a vocal fanbase.

I get this feeling that they changed the original idea for this show, and Bill from True Blood went from antagonist to protagonist, and in the process cutting off the legs of Acker's character. I get this vibe from the first two episodes. This lead to Polaris being pregnant and getting back to her boyfriend rather quickly, as opposed to say Acker and him bonding for a bit, making stuff awkward when she got back.

Not that any of this would have been good. But it is the vibe I get from hearing they changed his character a bit.

The initial description of the show stated that Caitlin and Reed are recently separated parents. The pilot strongly suggested the possibility that Reed is a shady character. Someone should ask Acker how the character was originally pitched to her. I hope there's a long-term arc for her, but I don't hold my breath. LOL

The initial description of the show stated that Caitlin and Reed are recently separated parents. The pilot strongly suggested the possibility that Reed is a shady character. Someone should ask Acker how the character was originally pitched to her. I hope there's a long-term arc for her, but I don't hold my breath. LOL
I remember hearing in the original pilot there was something up with him and them, but I couldn't exactly remember what it was. Thank you. I feel like that does with the bonding between Caitlin and Marcos in episode 2 and the almost random mid-season rivalry between Caitlin and Polaris.

To get on better terms with the people he screwed over? Actively put himself in harm's way for the sake of others?
Not as interested in his powers resurging as I'm in his role from here-on forth since the underground lost some key folks.

Wow, how did you only watch the first 2 seasons of Angel, minus the season 2 finale? Because if not, it would be kind of insane to miss Winifred Burkle. She is the only main female character for a good chuck of the show. Also, she was rather fantastic.

Her performance as Samantha "Root" Groves on Person of Interest is an all timer for me. Beautiful, complex, and thoroughly entertaining. One of my favorites. The woman is a damn fine actress, and it kills me to see her being wasted here. Then again, it seems most of Hollywood don't realize just how amazing she is, so sadly not too big of a surprise.

I remember hearing in the original pilot there was something up with him and them, but I couldn't exactly remember what it was. Thank you. I feel like that does with the bonding between Caitlin and Marcos in episode 2 and the almost random mid-season rivalry between Caitlin and Polaris.

I don't remember anything specific said, but it's easy to imagine why they would have marital problems: he's never at home, kid care and household duties are mostly on her. I guess they probably reshot some scenes, including the one in which the wife expresses her approval of his job. As to Marcos and Caitlin, they have an immediate, effortless BFF connection. At first I thought it's solely a matter of the actors' chemistry but their hugs in the last three episodes might foreshadow a slight change in their dynamic.

Wow, how did you only watch the first 2 seasons of Angel, minus the season 2 finale? Because if not, it would be kind of insane to miss Winifred Burkle. She is the only main female character for a good chuck of the show. Also, she was rather fantastic.

Her performance as Samantha "Root" Groves on Person of Interest is an all timer for me. Beautiful, complex, and thoroughly entertaining. One of my favorites. The woman is a damn fine actress, and it kills me to see her being wasted here. Then again, it seems most of Hollywood don't realize just how amazing she is, so sadly not too big of a surprise.

Cuz I was a kid at the time and moved on to other things. Been meaning to catch up on Person of Interest tho.

Cuz I was a kid at the time and moved on to other things. Been meaning to catch up on Person of Interest tho.
I forget not everyone was a teen or older when that came out. That makes sense. :funny:

I highly recommend Person of Interest. Was something I held off far too long on. Thankfully a friend convinced me to give it a go. It is a show that starts out pretty good, but gets so much better as it goes along, till it became legitimately great imo.

You can just call her Root. :o

In general - the series has a very good pace (not sure what to complain): it is not boring or filled with a fillers. Hope we got sth longer next year though. Do you know how much episodes is ordered? Of course sometimes the writing is sloppy but I have seen worse in Iron Fist. At least the case is likeable, however Thunderbird is too weak for the leader - one would have expect him to stand against Lorna but...

Concerning the developments - certainly new mutants should be introduced. For sure the Hellfire club will disclose some, but we need new ones on the "good" side now: currently we are with most of the major "mutant" cast being on the "evil" side. We left with one Strucker (not counting parents), Thunderbird, Blink and Marcus as far as I can recall, while on the other we have Esme and sisters (three ;-)), Lorna, Sage, Fade and Andy. Plus some unknown Hellfire club members.

In general - the series has a very good pace (not sure what to complain): it is not boring or filled with a fillers. Hope we got sth longer next year though. Do you know how much episodes is ordered? Of course sometimes the writing is sloppy but I have seen worse in Iron Fist. At least the case is likeable, however Thunderbird is too weak for the leader - one would have expect him to stand against Lorna but...

Concerning the developments - certainly new mutants should be introduced. For sure the Hellfire club will disclose some, but we need new ones on the "good" side now: currently we are with most of the major "mutant" cast being on the "evil" side. We left with one Strucker (not counting parents), Thunderbird, Blink and Marcus as far as I can recall, while on the other we have Esme and sisters (three ;-)), Lorna, Sage, Fade and Andy. Plus some unknown Hellfire club members.
The thing for me is it all feels like filler for the most part, because not much really happens on it. This is also one of those situations while the plot is moving quickly, but with no direction and thus instead of a story with living, breathing characters, it is just a function of moving from plot point to plot point. Really generic ones. It's all just so thin imo.

Iron Fist is a lot better then the Gifted imo, and I don't find Iron Fist all that good. But at the least it had some interesting characters. Iron Fist frustrated me, while boring me a bit. The Gifted I get legitimately bores me, while making me laugh at the show itself.

I’m curious on its future direction.

Iron Fist is a lot better then the Gifted imo, and I don't find Iron Fist all that good

I stopped watching Iron Fist after 5 episodes. Apologies - I am not that tough. The Gifted benefits from the X-Men mythology of course but the story makes some basic sense. My problem is with Thunderbird - he is not a leader, he does not project confidence. Female characters are much better - Blink and Lorna especially. On the other hand - agent Turner and Campbell are/were very good. I like the Gifted because it nicely play with grey area - actually almost nobody is totally evil (OK, Mr Campbell and sisters are very close).

Finale was on here in the UK last night, I enjoyed it, seeing Lorna finally turn was awesome e to see, and I wonder were they will take it in Season 2. I imagine next season will be the fight for Andy and Lorna’s souls. And I am not convinced Campbell is dead.

It is better than Iron Fist but its not an above average show. It is quite slow and have a couple of episodes that felt like fillers. Like of you compare this to the cartoons, those shows definitely didn't hold back and didn't drag storylines the entire season.

Last edited:
Finale was on here in the UK last night, I enjoyed it, seeing Lorna finally turn was awesome e to see, and I wonder were they will take it in Season 2. I imagine next season will be the fight for Andy and Lorna’s souls. And I am not convinced Campbell is dead.

very good finale.look forward to what is going with season 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"