First Avenger The Official Captain America Critic's Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It says 33% now but no new reviews have been posted.

IGN's review was positive so that's something. I don't really get interested until theres about 20 reviews though.

but they're all fanboys like aintitcool.

But they did give GL a 2 out of 5. so, they can be honest.

Well, @RalphGarman, who does the entertainment reports for our World Famous KROQ (and does a show with Kevin Smith from time to time), attended last night's Capt. America premiere in LA, tweeted this about the movie:

CAP, so far. But, have high hopes for COWBOYS & ALIENS. RT @MrNoahBdy what's the best comic based movie of the year so far, in your opinion?

He's a big geek so it's nice to see him loving the movie. I dunno if he has a movie review blog somewhere, though.

IGN's review was positive so that's something. I don't really get interested until theres about 20 reviews though.
IGN is my only go to review site because they seem to understand comic books well enough that they review based on how fans of the character will receive the movie. I'm a fan, that's all I care about, I couldn't give two sh**s what the guy next to me thinks.

Try telling the Transformers seriously because you'd seriously have trouble selling the notion that giant toys beating each other up is somehow a basis for true to life drama. Again, only fanboys believe that nonsense.

I don't agree there - any topic can be told seriously if done right, but Transformers seems especially ripe for that kind of tone if one were so inclined. Hell, make it an allegory about human dependence on technology coming back to bite us in the ass.

I'm glad all the comic sites love it, for me that's what matters the most when it comes to films like this.

Does RT accept reviews from those sites?

I'm glad all the comic sites love it, for me that's what matters the most when it comes to films like this.

Does RT accept reviews from those sites?

Some, but many are just glorified blogs so don't expect a lot of them to be factored in.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain-america/

NO it is not Ironman LMAO!!!! i knew this was going to be a dud as it looks very generic and ever since Ironman 2 all Marvel movies have been generic as hell. All the avengers related movies have been campy romantic comedies full of cheesy dialog and horrible fight choreography. SMH...i hope this movie flops and Marvel stop prostituting their own franchises. Disney/Marvel was the worst thing to EVER occur. I'd have preferred DreamWorks/ Marvel. Disney's formula is tired and they have no innovative film making. I think Tim Burton is the only visually impressive Disney based director and sadly even Alice was mediocre as Disney are just money capitalizers and u can tell by their film delivery

They dont LOVE the mythos of these characters, they merely are hacks out for a weekend BO hit rather than making CLASSIC movies.
Oh, so is that why pretty much every single one of their movies (TIH being debatable) has been not just a commercial success but a critical one also, with all four of their films averaging a 77% on rotten tomatoes?
I dont understand how you could say that, especially after how successful Thor was. The fact that they not only made a Thor movie but made a dang good one, yeah, that's gonna go down as a classic. A friend of mine was watching it with me the second time in theaters and at one point she turned to me and said that Thor is probably in her top 3 favorite movies of all time. She is not someone who's deeply invested in the comic books like me, she's just your typical movie goer who, on a side note, has very good taste in movies.
Marvel is pretty much completely changing the game here. The whole Avengers franchise thing is completely unprecedented and risky as heck, but they are executing it wonderfully so far. Marvel Studios has done a great job of getting people who are both smart and good at what they do, but also passionate about the source material.
And by the way, any shortcomings you feel the films may have have nothing to do with Disney. As far as I know, they only distribute the films for Marvel and don't get involved creatively with anything Marvel puts out.
I know everyone's entitled to their opinions but dang, you are most definitely in the minority on this one man :woot:
But back to the topic, does this not worry anyone else? I mean having a 33% on rotten tomatoes two days before the release does not look good at all...I've heard only good things about the movie up until now so I'm not TO concerned but still...

To be frank, I thought more top critics would love Capt. America (although it is far too early to say whether majority of them will like this movie or not). From everything that I've heard and read about Capt. America, it was done with alot of respect, from the characterization of Steve Rogers, the setting of WWII, and all the supporting characters, to the costume and weaponry and the villain himself, the Red Skull. Marvel set out to make a serious movie about this superhero, and like Glorious Basterds I thought it would be alot better received, but I'm not going to treat RT's 6 reviews as the final word on Cap.

Godman lost all street cred when he said "Inception proved a summer blockbuster movie can be deep". There have been deeper, and better summer blockbusters before. Not to mention Inception, while I love it, is a one to two trick pony, and not nearly as deep as some suggest. If "Chinatown"(one of those DEEP Summer films) is as deep as the Atlantic Ocean, then Inception isn't even deeper than my cousin's kiddie pool.

I'm sorry, but you just don't show a very strong knowledge of Film History if you honestly think Inception was groundbreaking on any level. I love it and I would go as far as to call it a great film, but it wasn't that original and certainly wasn't groundbreaking, nor did it "prove" anything about summer blockbusters aside from the fact that Nolan can make a successful film not named "The Dark Knight". From a film analysis point, Inception wasn't even the best film of its year and it isn't even Nolan's best film.

Godman's stupid comments aside, Captain America looks awesome and all the FAN reaction I've heard is extremely positive. RT has 6 reviews....2 positive, 4 negative. That could easily change. Then again, a lot of these Crictic types(I've worked with them before, I was a film critic for the local paper a few years ago) are very anti-america, so a guy like Steve rubs them they wrong way. Its just the way the world is I guess.

I don't agree there - any topic can be told seriously if done right, but Transformers seems especially ripe for that kind of tone if one were so inclined. Hell, make it an allegory about human dependence on technology coming back to bite us in the ass.
Allegories are nice, but there are more serious ways to present that same allegory. If the nature of your subject matter involves something silly, like a 22-minute giant toy robot toy commercial, the silliest will retain itself in the adaptation...UNLESS you really make some drastic changes. I notice fanboys have a distinct inability to grasp the silliness of their favorite characters to everyone else. Batman may be a little silly, but he benefits from a rather realistic and serious backdrop. Joker is a pretty atypical but not unrealistic serial killer. Even with the costumes, Batman fights "normal" criminals in a "normal" fashion (i.e. he doesn't have powers), which is far more relateable and easier to ground in reality.

6 Reviews in (2 fresh, 4 rotten) and the premier was last night .... yet you are already flapping your wings and know this movie is doomed.

You are such a hack. Only prostituting going on is with you and your ego-filled rants.

He's what you are to the Green Lantern section. Irony. :o

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain-america/

NO it is not Ironman LMAO!!!! i knew this was going to be a dud as it looks very generic and ever since Ironman 2 all Marvel movies have been generic as hell. All the avengers related movies have been campy romantic comedies full of cheesy dialog and horrible fight choreography. SMH...i hope this movie flops and Marvel stop prostituting their own franchises. Disney/Marvel was the worst thing to EVER occur. I'd have preferred DreamWorks/ Marvel. Disney's formula is tired and they have no innovative film making. I think Tim Burton is the only visually impressive Disney based director and sadly even Alice was mediocre as Disney are just money capitalizers and u can tell by their film delivery

They dont LOVE the mythos of these characters, they merely are hacks out for a weekend BO hit rather than making CLASSIC movies.

Might be a little to early to call this a dud. :dry:

You and everybody else, let's remain civil and don't toe the line on trolling, that will lead to some time off.

As long as comic movie review sites like it, I'm happy. I honestly don't care how it stacks up against Brokeback Mountain and Slumdog Millionaire. I'm a comic book fan, it's a comic book movie, it ought to appeal to me more than someone else who isn't.

wait, so comic book movies don't even have to be good? is that why fantastic four was sooooo awesome?

I'm not sure why some of you want comicbook websites or geek sites to like this movie? All of these sites pimped movies like Kick Ass, Scott Pilgrim, Watchmen, Sucker Punch, so on and so forth...that didn't work out so well at the box office.

Although you're going to see Cap again in Avengers for sure, don't you want the general public to like it?

Never in the history of rotten tomatoes has a movie started off rotten and turned out fresh. and i have followed RT for a very very long time to note this. I PROMISE you it will remain ROTTEN for all time sake. watch...

Well OK. I stated my position, you stated yours. Now begins........

THE WAIT :word: May the correct man gloat :woot:

Then again, a lot of these Crictic types(I've worked with them before, I was a film critic for the local paper a few years ago) are very anti-america, so a guy like Steve rubs them they wrong way. Its just the way the world is I guess.

I think a person would have to be an ass to hate Steve Rogers. You look up the words "self-sacrifice" and "humility" in the comic book dictionary and its his picture there.

I'm not sure why some of you want comicbook websites or geek sites to like this movie? All of these sites pimped movies like Kick Ass, Scott Pilgrim, Watchmen, Sucker Punch, so on and so forth...that didn't work out so well at the box office.

Although you're going to see Cap again in Avengers for sure, don't you want the general public to like it?
Yeah, but I liked Watchmen and Kick-Ass so who gives a crap? As for the Box Office, well, I can only buy so many tickets.

Well, I'm concerned, but I'm not going to panic yet. Only 6 reviews up, only 1 from a top critic who didn't review Thor and gave X-men FC a splat. Heck she didn't even review Harry Potter.

Honestly, I'm hoping for 60%. We'll see what happens.

Sure! But at the end of the day the only opinion that matters is your own. :)

Exactly!

ANYONE who says that what really matters is what places like Ain't it Cool News and IGN thinks as opposed to Village Voice, Rolling Stone, etc are delusional. Geek Blogs preach to the choir; mainstream opinions are the ones that create new converts.

wait, so comic book movies don't even have to be good? is that why fantastic four was sooooo awesome?

Haha that gave me a good chuckle, but I actually completely understand what he's trying to say.
Since I'm someone who's coming into this movie completely familiar with the character and mythos because of the comics, I'm more interested in hearing a review from someone like me than just a regular film critic. Granted I do want to know how this stacks up as a film and want it to be great, obviously, but honestly right now I just want to make sure they got the captain america part right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"