First Avenger The Official Captain America Critic's Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain-america/

NO it is not Ironman LMAO!!!! i knew this was going to be a dud as it looks very generic and ever since Ironman 2 all Marvel movies have been generic as hell. All the avengers related movies have been campy romantic comedies full of cheesy dialog and horrible fight choreography. SMH...i hope this movie flops and Marvel stop prostituting their own franchises. Disney/Marvel was the worst thing to EVER occur. I'd have preferred DreamWorks/ Marvel. Disney's formula is tired and they have no innovative film making. I think Tim Burton is the only visually impressive Disney based director and sadly even Alice was mediocre as Disney are just money capitalizers and u can tell by their film delivery

They dont LOVE the mythos of these characters, they merely are hacks out for a weekend BO hit rather than making CLASSIC movies.

Wow, never thought I'd see stupidity incarnate. :whatever:

I can't find the spill dot com review. Did they take it down?

They haven't reviewed it as yet. The review that was there was from a Member of the site. Not from the Spill Crew. They will most likely have it up by Friday

I won't over react to 6 reviews, especially after all the reviews not counted form people who liked/loved it. give me a holler when there are about 20 reviews. :)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain-america/

NO it is not Ironman LMAO!!!! i knew this was going to be a dud as it looks very generic and ever since Ironman 2 all Marvel movies have been generic as hell. All the avengers related movies have been campy romantic comedies full of cheesy dialog and horrible fight choreography. SMH...i hope this movie flops and Marvel stop prostituting their own franchises. Disney/Marvel was the worst thing to EVER occur. I'd have preferred DreamWorks/ Marvel. Disney's formula is tired and they have no innovative film making. I think Tim Burton is the only visually impressive Disney based director and sadly even Alice was mediocre as Disney are just money capitalizers and u can tell by their film delivery

They dont LOVE the mythos of these characters, they merely are hacks out for a weekend BO hit rather than making CLASSIC movies.

:applaud Way to jump to conclusions there bud. Hope you don't have to swallow your words if this comes back fresh when the remaining reviews come in

I've always liked Rottentomatoes in general, but this policy of tweeting "fresh" or "rotten" before there is any kind of critic consensus is just plain wrong.
Completely wrong & they know it. They wait long enough to publish their consensus so they are fully aware that they are misleading everyone by making any comment after 6 reviews.

Guys guys guys, don't worry so much. The online publications - the ones who get all the set visits, the ones we all follow - have yet to submit full reviews (except HitFix). We all know that, from Twitter, they loved the movie. The positive reviews are coming.

Going to have to go ahead and disagree with you.

Except that's not true at all - Thor and X-Men FC had a lot of good reviews.
I think it's because they were the first movies out this summer. Thor to me seemed to be a fairly good movie, but I think it wasn't as good as people claim. I think the nearest point of comparison would be The Incredible Hulk, that was a very underrated film (better than Thor IMO), and I think the reason it was underrated was because it came on the heels of Iron Man. While I wouldn't say it was as good, it wasn't far behind, yet the reviews were only in the 60s or 70s if I recall...I would have at least given it a solid 82%.

Green Lantern was not good, but it in no way deserved the 20% it got on RT, that was absurd. It was at least as good as DareDevil which was nearly double it's RT score (I'm not saying this is high praise either). Also Dark of the Moon was neck and neck for me with the first film, which got far better reviews. It just seems to me like critics get sick of Comic Book movies halfway through the summer and start trashing them.

I think the box-office for X-men FC had everything to do with the last x-men movie(s) sucking ass. Hell I love the x-men and I havent even seen it yet, nor do I really want to anytime soon. Why? Because the last one(s) sucked and I still havent gotten the bad taste out of my mind yet.

Captain America is going to do fine. Stop hyperventilating, wait two days and enjoy the flick.

I think critics are becoming increasing unfair to comic book movies. Green Lantern and Transformers: Dark of the Moon in no way, shape or form deserved the RT ratings they got and even the criticisms seemed weak: "It was mindless entertainment", "It was just another superhero movie", etc. Most of these movies are written as mindless entertainment, and quite frankly Michael Bay has already proven with Dark of the Moon that audiences couldn't give to sh**s what critics say. I find critics often forget movies are generally supposed to be fun, not necessarily thought provoking, oscar-y, brooding, over dramatized takes of life. After The Dark Knight they've been incredibly critical of comic films that are not hyper-realistic and overly dramatized. Captain America shouldn't be a "different kind of comic film" or usher in some zeitgeist in the way comic movies are made. Leave that for a film like Watchmen or Sin City. Cap is a superhero, he wears a colorful costume and throws a shield at cartoonish bad guys. As long as the characters are handled well (with good actors), it's not filled with WTF moments, and it does a good job of condensing and presenting what happened in the comics then IMO you've done a good job.

No, comic book movies get the ratings they deserve. Critics dont care about "cool" factor. they judge the acting, script, dialog, directing, cinematography, innovation, visuals, and production value. ALL these factors must be nailed by the studio and director near perfect for a movie to get higher rankings. I personally feel The Dark Knight needed to get people to understand how to seriously take the comic book world and that though they are called comic books, they are mostly FAR from comical.

There is blood, death, rape, murder, drug abuse, depression, poverty, sadness etc. The comic book realm is a VERY dark world and it seems only TDK, BB, Batman Returns, Watchmen, Superman 1978, The Crow, Kick Ass, Road to perdition, and Ang Lee Hulk conveyed the true essence of what comic books are about. im not judging the movies i mentioned as good or bad as thats not the debate, but merely the level of story telling and layered depth.

The New Spider-man movie looks like it may have gotten this right even by the trailer. The hockey pokeyness has to go. over acted villains, one dimensional heroes, irrelevant love interests to follow a cliche rather than help story progression etc...name ONE of the female love interests in any of the recent comic book movies after ironman 1 that serves a purpose to propel the story and that if eliminated from the plot would make a difference as far as the main story...Rotten Tomatoes hasn't been wrong yet for a comic book movie IMO. They DO need to judge them on the same scale they judge Oscar worthy movies as the formula for a great film should be across the board and no excuse just because of source material should be weighed in AT ALL.

Levy's rotten review has been added. That's a shame, he's usually very on the ball with the concensus.

I think you guys give to much credit to RT and "reviews".
IMO its word of mouth that tanks a movie. I know that bad reviews don't help, but that wasn't what tanked Green Lantern. Regular people reviews are whats important, not critics. Sometimes they line up, sometimes they don't.
If Cap is a great movie and everyone who sees it tells people that then it will be fine. I'm just saying that critics are often the worst gauge ever about whether you will like a movie or not. They often feel the need to be overly elitist and snobby about them. Many just have a hard on for CBMs in general. I know a few people that think Cap is just a hokey, ridiculous movie without ever having seen it. I guess since Nolan didn't make it. Critics are often the same.

I think during a normal movie cycle, one could use that reasoning and apply it to most films. Unfortunately this summer has been overloaded with big, blockbuster-style films (week after week) that either hit their mark or get lost in the shuffle fast. So marketing and reviews for new material have played important roles during this season. And with only a few exceptions (like Transformers) most films have been deemed a success based more on what it cost to make them, than what they actually did in ticket receipts. Most summer films have made between 100 and 200 million this summer. But how those films are viewed in acceptance are starkly different. Super 8 is considered a public hit even though it shares similar box office numbers to Lantern. What is different is cost. Super 8 cost $50 million to make, while Lantern cost well over $200 million. So on the books Super 8 is most certainly a hit. But in ticket receipts it didn't play much better to the public than Lantern. Yet, the perception is because the studio was smart with their books more people some how liked it. The point? Popularity and profit don't always mix. But people try to suggest they are.

Cap cost $140 million to produce. Likely another $85 to market. So while it doesn't face the same uphill battle Lantern had financially on it's books, it still has to answer for Lanterns public perception because it shares the same genre. And it does so in a crowded marketplace with Potter raking in big money after only one week out and Cowboys and Aliens coming on board next weekend. Your suggesting Captain America has time to find it's audience if critics diss it. I say it has very little time because theaters will relegate it to smaller venues and send back copies if the film doesn't jump out fast. They have to to make room for other films coming in. So no. This is not a normal season and Cap will not have time for WOM unless this film hits a stellar note with audiences that critics can't drown out.

IGN's review was positive so that's something. I don't really get interested until theres about 20 reviews though.

Levy's rotten review has been added. That's a shame, he's usually very on the ball with the concensus.

Yeah...I'm pretty bummed by that.

Of course most people are going to say "SO WHAT HE'S NOT DREW!!!" or some crap.

:applaud Way to jump to conclusions there bud. Hope you don't have to swallow your words if this comes back fresh when the remaining reviews come in

Never in the history of rotten tomatoes has a movie started off rotten and turned out fresh. and i have followed RT for a very very long time to note this. I PROMISE you it will remain ROTTEN for all time sake. watch...

I bet the only quote they're going to use in the ads will be from aintitcool....where harry gushes how great it is.

the way cap uses his shield is so childish. looks like the same people who made green lantern. I'm going to pass.

No, comic book movies get the ratings they deserve. Critics dont care about "cool" factor. they judge the acting, script, dialog, directing, cinematography, innovation, visuals, and production value. ALL these factors must be nailed by the studio and director near perfect for a movie to get higher rankings. I personally feel The Dark Knight needed to get people to understand how to seriously take the comic book world and that though they are called comic books, they are mostly FAR from comical.

There is blood, death, rape, murder, drug abuse, depression, poverty, sadness etc. The comic book realm is a VERY dark world and it seems only TDK, BB, Batman Returns, Watchmen, Superman 1978, The Crow, Kick Ass, Road to perdition, and Ang Lee Hulk conveyed the true essence of what comic books are about. im not judging the movies i mentioned as good or bad as thats not the debate, but merely the level of story telling and layered depth.

The New Spider-man movie looks like it may have gotten this right even by the trailer. The hockey pokeyness has to go. over acted villains, one dimensional heroes, irrelevant love interests to follow a cliche rather than help story progression etc...name ONE of the female love interests in any of the recent comic book movies after ironman 1 that serves a purpose to propel the story and that if eliminated from the plot would make a difference as far as the main story...Rotten Tomatoes hasn't been wrong yet for a comic book movie IMO. They DO need to judge them on the same scale they judge Oscar worthy movies as the formula for a great film should be across the board and no excuse just because of source material should be weighed in AT ALL.

Spot on opinion

Never in the history of rotten tomatoes has a movie started off rotten and turned out fresh. and i have followed RT for a very very long time to note this. I PROMISE you it will remain ROTTEN for all time sake. watch...
That's nice. Unfortunately you have sort of made yourself a joke on these boards so your promise holds no weight. Sorry :csad:

No, comic book movies get the ratings they deserve. Critics dont care about "cool" factor. they judge the acting, script, dialog, directing, cinematography, innovation, visuals, and production value. ALL these factors must be nailed by the studio and director near perfect for a movie to get higher rankings.
Critics review on the basis of nothing outside of personal opinion. Seriously. No two critics agree, and it's a pretty shallow business. Michael Bay's Transformers series got awful reviews, but the Box Office returns make you'd think it was oscar worthy. Meanwhile Avatar is one of the cheapest story ripoffs I've seen in decades and critics treat it like it was written by an omniscent God. There are so many factors outside of movie quality that influence reviews, that to base your feelings on what a movie will be like based on reviews is pretty f***ing stupid.

I personally feel The Dark Knight needed to get people to understand how to seriously take the comic book world and that though they are called comic books, they are mostly FAR from comical.
The Dark Knight is it's own animal. Nolan gets some things right, but he fails to grasp that comics are by nature comical. However Nolan picked a character that has always been a little less comical in nature. Batman has the added bonus of being a pretty reasonably realistic character so that if you want to strip away the hokeyness he can still retain much of what makes him Batman. You begin to strip away hokeyness from Captain America or Iron Man and you neuter those characters. I'm sorry, but only fanboys have the blinders that make them believe a character can be turned into a comic book incarnation of The Godfather. Captain America is not Saving Private Ryan because to ever capture the grittiness of a war drama you'd end up stripping away every aspect of the character that makes sense. Batman has always stayed in the realm of more serious and more brooding storylines, because the backdrop even from his conception was a little closer to the pulp crime dramas than it was to the world of say Superman. Try telling the Transformers seriously because you'd seriously have trouble selling the notion that giant toys beating each other up is somehow a basis for true to life drama. Again, only fanboys believe that nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"