The Official Green Lantern Review Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
parallax was the weakest villain ive seen in a while

DieSmiling said:
No question about it. I think Superman Returns, Ang Lee's Hulk, Spider-Man 3 and X3 all get more hate than they should (I actually love SR)... All flawed but it becomes the trendy thing to hate them so everyone jumps on board.

I can agree on Hulk, SM3, and X3. But, I can see the mass hate for SR :oldrazz:

parallax was the weakest villain ive seen in a while

I thought parallax was the name Hal Jordan took when he lost everyone he loved and systematically wiped out the entire gl core, then restarted the sun with his power and made way for a new lantern in the reboot.

;)

The thing about Batman and Robin is that the movie is exactly what it wants to be. It's just the exact opposite of what fans want it to be.
Exactly. I find it to be infinitely more watchable than the other Burton/Schumacher Batman movies, with the exception of B89.

I can agree on Hulk, SM3, and X3. But, I can see the mass hate for SR :oldrazz:

Well, you're a Marvel guy. :cwink:

Spider-Man 3 needs a few cuts, IMO. Cut out emo Parker. Cut out Harry painting fruit. Cut out MJ being terrible. Add it more development for other characters, etc.

Hulk would have probably been better received if it had been slightly more faithful to the comic origin and if they offered a villain who could go toe to toe with Hulk. Overall I think it's a darn good movie though.

X3 really had the potential to be amazing, IMO. If Singer had stayed on, I think it would have been. A lot of good, some flaws. Cut down on Wolverine, give Cyclops that storyline. Don't send characters like Scott and Mystique away for the sake of introducing more characters. Flesh out the themes more. That said, it's still not bad, IMO.

SR, to be honest, is one of my favorite superhero films. It could use a tangible villain and a super brawl, and the super kid was an awful idea, but I think it's a beautiful film in the end.

Exactly. I find it to be infinitely more watchable than the other Burton/Schumacher Batman movies, with the exception of B89.

It's definitley my least favorite Batman movie, but I understand the mentality. It's my sister's favorite of the original Batman movies.

Well, you're a Marvel guy. :cwink:

But I also love Superman :csad:

Spider-Man 3 needs a few cuts, IMO. Cut out emo Parker. Cut out Harry painting fruit. Cut out MJ being terrible. Add it more development for other characters, etc.[/quote]

And take out the stupid Butler scene! It was useless and underminded Harry's otherwise great arc.

Hulk would have probably been better received if it had been slightly more faithful to the comic origin and if they offered a villain who could go toe to toe with Hulk. Overall I think it's a darn good movie though.

I think Hulk is a good movie, just not a Hulk movie people wanted to see. I don't think it was a great movie, but I do think it was trying to be special and took risks. For that, I applaud it.

X3 really had the potential to be amazing, IMO. If Singer had stayed on, I think it would have been. A lot of good, some flaws. Cut down on Wolverine, give Cyclops that storyline. Don't send characters like Scott and Mystique away for the sake of introducing more characters. Flesh out the themes more. That said, it's still not bad, IMO.

The big problem with X3 (other than dropping Cyclops) was the interesting plots had no time to breathe. I thought the X-Men acted more as a team in X3 than either X1 or X2, but the overall story had no depth and Wolie-clops irritates me to no end!!!

SR, to be honest, is one of my favorite superhero films. It could use a tangible villain and a super brawl, and the super kid was an awful idea, but I think it's a beautiful film in the end.

Superman is one of my all-time favorite characters. But, there were so many things I hated about SR :csad:

I feel like one of the film's biggest problems was the villains. Let's be honest they were just plain silly. I get that they were trying to build Sinestro up for the next film (eventhough they ultimately didnt at all anyway) but did they really think audiences were gonna wanna watch Green Lantern fight a guy with a giant head? Or a giant cloud? They could have come up with a much more badass threat imo. In my theater i swear i heard people laughing eveytime Hector Hammond appeared on screen.

I saw this earlier, enjoyed it very much. While I agree with some of the criticisms such as some weak character development and the movie not making the most of some of it's characters, it nonetheless was entertaining and moved at a good pace and the action scenes and visuals were all great. Reynolds was perfect as Hal and on the ball with his performance, having strong charisma and perfect comic timing but also bringing some good vulnerability and sensitivity to the part. I'd give it an 8/10 and look forward to any sequels it no doubt will be getting. Just keep Reynolds, polish the script a bit and improve the supporting character development. I've never read any Green Lantern comics before, but definitely want to track some down after seeing this. What would be some good GL comics for a beginner like me?

I liked the movie. I don't understand all the hate it's getting, it was on the same level as Thor. I loved both of them but they weren't as good as X-Men: First Class. Highlights in GL were Reynolds and Sinestro.

I also just want to say this. I've seen a lot of people compare this movie to Thor and I couldn't disagree more. They arguably share a similar scope, and a similar tone, but Thor excels in multiple ways. The character of Loki is brilliant, as is the interplay between him, Thor, and Odin. There's an earnestness to each and every performance in that film that gives the film its soul, and there are moments that are genuinely heartbreaking (Thor/Loki in the SHIELD camp).

Whereas here, what exactly is there for the filmmakers to hang their hats on? Reynolds is giving his all and Strong is tremendous, but there is no real relationship between these characters beyond a handshake. The interactions are all surface level, half of the characters exist in this movie for literally no reason other than to say 3 or 4 lines, and there are no defining moments that will be remembered once the film ends. And like it or not, Hector is hilariously campy. Audience members were laughing harder at him just standing around and swaying than any of the film's jokes. I guess there's nothing too terrible about this movie (other than the after credits scene) but I don't see any reason why I'd ever want to watch it again.

I gave it a 5/10 in the poll, and maybe it deserves a 6 instead. But meh.

Parallax is such a great concept, and they completely ****ed it up. Not a single redeeming quality about it. So damn disappointing.

Parallax is such a great concept, and they completely ****ed it up. Not a single redeeming quality about it. So damn disappointing.

Could you elaborate? Most criticism of Parralax seems to be of the character. What was so bad about the execution?

Well he does look like a living mound of diarrhea instead of a menacing monster.

1) He is the embodiment of yellow energy, and yet he was 90% black.

2) At the end of the day, he was a giant mass of smoke tentacles with a head. It was a boring, uninspired concept (and the smoke tentacles just looked bizarre as hell to me). Considering he is made up of energy, the fact that he seemed to be made predominantly of smoke was perplexing to me. And while I quite liked the idea of him being comprised of corpses, we barely see this detail outside of a few closeups, so I couldn't fully appreciate it.

3) I get that he had absorbed Krona (hence taking on some of his likeness), but I just hated the design of the head.

4) I adored the concept art where Parallax looked more like an insect or deep-sea fish - and looked like he was made entirely out of raw yellow energy. So I was especially disappointed when they opted for this route instead.

The smoke tentacles reminded me of Galactus from ROTSS. It was a bad concept then, it's a bad concept now. At least with Galactus they made him appear invincible.

I finally saw it today and I really loved it. Sure, it wasn't the best comic book film and lots of stuff did seem forced like Hector's role, but it was a fun ride.

If anything, from what I seen Ryan could carry his own superhero series. I really enjoyed the chemistry between Hal and Carol, as well as the villain vs. hero stuff between Hal and Sinestro and Hal and Hector. For Hector and Carol, I really gotten the feeling that Hal knew them for awhile.

And I love how they bluntly shown Sinestro as someone who was evil, without even establishing he wanted more power. The only problem I had was that the 3D showing I went to, the people didn't turn on the screen properly so I ended up watching a darken film up until GL saved Senator Tim Robbins.

Personally I loved the film, not the best but a fun ride altogether. If the whole film was much like the second and third act, then it would have been worth wild.

7/10

Just finished my review. It's really long, so I'm not going to take up a chunk of space here, but anyone remotely interested in reading it can go here.

In case, you've missed my previous posts, I didn't like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"