The Official Green Lantern Review Thread - Part 5

Anyway I saw the movie this afternoon. If I'm generous I'll give it 5 or 6 out of 10.

How did the trailer suggest a much better story?

Wow. That's just...not true.
5 or 6 would be my score as well.
I thought Hal was awestuck the first time that he saw Oa.

Man, I just do not understand the negativity this movie's been getting. My brother and I saw it and both loved it, and he's never read a comic book in his life and doesn't know squat about Green Lantern history. I'd give it a 7-8/10.

Man, I just do not understand the negativity this movie's been getting. My brother and I saw it and both loved it, and he's never read a comic book in his life and doesn't know squat about Green Lantern history. I'd give it a 7-8/10.

More power to you and your brother, glad you enjoyed it. I compare this situation to the The Last Airbender and its animated counterpart (GL is not as extreme). That series is fantastic while the movie is painful to watch. I've haven't met anyone who loves the series that can enjoy the movie. While talking to non-fans they say its not so bad.

More power to you and your brother, glad you enjoyed it. I compare this situation to the The Last Airbender and its animated counterpart (GL is not as extreme). That series is fantastic while the movie is painful to watch. I've haven't met anyone who loves the series that can enjoy the movie. While talking to non-fans they say its not so bad.

I really hope that they finally just stop letting that M. Nite Shebadoo make movies. It seems that every time you don't think he can make a worse film, he surprises you with the next one, setting a new benchmark for 'please stop making films'.:O

TLA was such a giant disappointment. :down

Totally agree, its astounding how much M Night screwed that up. He states that he watched the cartoon, but after seeing the movie you wonder if he did so with sound muted and his eyes closed.

I remember seeing the runtime of TLA at 103 mins and I'm like how can you tell season 1 of that show well in such a short time.
Then when I saw that GL runtime was like 105 min, I'm like how can you tell Hal's origin and everything else I've heard read about the movie in that amount of time...and I flashed back to TLA...as they say the rest is history.

I saw Green Lantern last night (3D) only because the 2D showing was too late in the evening. With regards to the 3D some of it fell very flat for me. Which is the main reason I do not like post 3D conversions.

I am really only a casual Green Lantern fan and have not read the comic books for many years.
So to the origin part of the story, it seemed okay, but I'm fairly sure it was not as told in the comics. But as I said, it was fairly well done. As for being a fighter pilot, the same as his Father, I don't recall that at all. One thing I do recall was Hal in the comics was a very broody sort of character and to be honest I preferred the Ryan Reynolds take. Let's be honest, if all of a sudden, you had bestowed upon you a ring which granted you almost limitless power and the ability of flight. Do you not think you would have at least a few "Wooo-hoo!" moments? Even I would and I'm pretty reserved. The alien characters, looked pretty alien, so a thumbs up there. A good use of makeup and CG effects. The GL suit being CG worked for me as it lent credence to it being completely otherworldly. I have no comics knowledge of Paralax(?) so I have no comparison to make. But I did think, the whole "villain as a cloud" thing looked a bit daft at times. The power ring constructions looked very good, as if lifted directly off the pages of the comic book. As for the love interest side of things, there needed to be more given to the depth of what they tried to convey. Certainly Hal's fear and guilt could have done with more exploration.

The entire film seemed a bit short and rushed to me, as if they had to fit everything into a shorter time frame. Not sure why that is, but I feel it hurt an otherwise good movie.

In terms of a Superhero origin movie, this is not up there on a par with Sam Raimi's Spider-man or Nolan's Batman Begins. But it is a good effort, I would also say Ryan Reynolds did a better job than a lot of people around give him credit for.

My final score would be 7.5 out of 10, very good but not great. Will it get a sequel? I think at best that is a 50:50 possibility.

Anyway, that's what I thought of it. YMMV.

So we are comparing this to TLA now? Lol.. it's not THAT bad...

DaveMoral said:
See, I think you're one of those "fans" with their heads up their backsides, because this film is not nearly as bad as you would suggest. I'm a huge fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender, for instance, and I can objectively say that M. Night Shyamalan's attempt at making a movie of that series was a mess, rushed, badly edited and quite frankly a piss poor film. Green Lantern is no where near that bad. No where near it.

What the f- does Avatar or LAB have to do with this conversation?

And, no, the discussion is NOT over simply because you declare it so. You cannot hold RT up and expect everyone not to be critical of that as a barometer. That's not to say there aren't some problems with Green Lantern on a compositional level, but I find it unlikely the Rotten Tomatoes is as representative of people who saw the film and enjoyed as you'd like people to believe. Regardless of the sampling. Again, there's a certain demographic of people who log onto a site like Rotten Tomatoes, or any other exclusive film site akin to it, to register their reviews. Many of them fashion themselves film critics in some manner. Most, even. The same is not true of Yahoo, IMO, simply because of the nature of that website.

Sampling? Are you joking? You tried to naively point out to me that Fandango and Yahoo! movie reviews are to be taken more seriously simply because YOU SAID SO. Fact is people log into accounts on both of those sites, the same as RT, to give their critique. Yahoo! Movies is the same theme as Fandando as is RT. All three are moved-based sites. It's just that RT amasses a far more reliable sampling size. You clearly know absolutely nothing about statistics so it's almost pointless to even continue arguing these numbers with you. Your defense is the most blatantly biased BS I have ever seen.

Take it for what is. Yahoo's respondents reviews tend to fall in a similar range as the positive respondents on RT anyway.

Fall in line? If you haven't noticed yet it's almost split down the middle on RT.

And yeah, negative reviews poison the well for movies all the time. Superhero movies included. That you refuse to believe that belies your bias that this movie is so bad no one in their right minds could possibly like because you believe it is so objectively bad that negative reviews couldn't possibly have turned people off to the notion of the movie before they even check movie times and decided to go to the movie.

Bad movies turn people off. Accept it. It's clear based on your trivial excuses, that you're one of life's excuse makers. Have fun with that.

Laugh all you want. Doesn't change the fact that there are plenty of people with an opinion contrary to yours and that your opinion isn't the end all be all of this discussion.

Plenty eh? Enough to fill only $6 million on their second Friday night? Fail.

I honestly hope the movie gets a sequel so many of the issues can be ironed out by the follow up and hopefully give the scope that is desired. I'd rather not have ***** like you with nothing of value to say. Frankly, you're just a naysayer and you're pointless in discussion because you are incapable of holding a one, as evidenced by your dismissive attitude of anything differing from your own point of view. It's sad really.

Blah blah blah ..... naysayers ....boogeymen critics ...... I'm just personally happy that your life was satisfied with a terrible movie. Keep on supporting Hollywood's garbage.

Saw this for a second time with my girlfriend and a few of our friends. All of them hated it, they all thought it was stupid. The women thought Tomar Re was cute and everyone was disappointed there wasn't more Oa stuff. Seeing it again the only word that describes the experience is frustration. Soooo much potential, the scenes on Oa are just fantastic. Kilowog, and Tomar Re are awesome and there needed to be more Hal/Sinestro scenes. What did we get instead a whiny Hal. He has all this power and he sits there and whines. He is the Edward Cullen of superheroes. Edward is immortal and has all this power but what does he do, he sits there and whines exactly like Hal Jordan. I actually do feel bad for Hector while he is still Hector, poor guy has nothing going for him. When he turns into Parallax, I stopped feeling bad for him because his screaming is so damn annoying. The action is pretty awesome and the constructs are great to see, suit looks great in motion. I hope to God there is a sequel, there is so much potential for a sequel and I'm going to take the optimistic route and say they right the wrongs.

So we are comparing this to TLA now? Lol.. it's not THAT bad...

No its nowhere near that bad...I just simply meant that it's such as waste of resources considering how great this movie could've been or even just a good movie.

Yes, the fail of GL is not as bad as the fail of TLA but that's not saying much either.

What the f- does Avatar or LAB have to do with this conversation?

This, right here, alone disqualifies you from the conversation, because you clearly have no idea what I was talking about or the relevance to the situation. Especially considering posters before you also mentioned The Last Airbender.

Everything else is your own opinion and one that is missing the point. Knowing about statistics is also an entirely different issue, because you choose to ignore the very notion that I'm putting out there that RT appeals to a very very specific demographic and it thus skews the statistics. I would not go to it as the only source you use for judgement, but that's you thing. I'm sure it makes you feel superior to talk **** on the internet. Good luck with that.

I'm sorry your life sucks so much that this is all you have.

No its nowhere near that bad...I just simply meant that it's such as waste of resources considering how great this movie could've been or even just a good movie.

Yes, the fail of GL is not as bad as the fail of TLA but that's not saying much either.

Yea TLA and GL both has lots of potential but ended up being less-than-impressive.

I do hope GL gets a sequel...

This, right here, alone disqualifies you from the conversation, because you clearly have no idea what I was talking about or the relevance to the situation. Especially considering posters before you also mentioned The Last Airbender.

Everything else is your own opinion and one that is missing the point. Knowing about statistics is also an entirely different issue, because you choose to ignore the very notion that I'm putting out there that RT appeals to a very very specific demographic and it thus skews the statistics. I would not go to it as the only source you use for judgement, but that's you thing. I'm sure it makes you feel superior to talk **** on the internet. Good luck with that.

I'm sorry your life sucks so much that this is all you have.

RT appeals to people who see movies. Go figure. Same as Fandango, same as Yahoo! Movies. You can read reviews, order tickets, and read stories about films on all three sites. Go figure.

$6 million on it's second Friday. Ouch. How could so many people be so wrong? LOL

DaveMoral, Rock. I would advise you both to calm down and stop the insults/provoking. You guys can debate all you want, so long as it is respectful. Telling someone "Im sorry your life sucks" is no longer debating. That is flaming.

Stop it right now.

I don't care if someone is bashing a movie you love, that is no reason to flame other posters.

Last edited:
Saw this for a second time with my girlfriend and a few of our friends. All of them hated it, they all thought it was stupid. The women thought Tomar Re was cute and everyone was disappointed there wasn't more Oa stuff. Seeing it again the only word that describes the experience is frustration. Soooo much potential, the scenes on Oa are just fantastic. Kilowog, and Tomar Re are awesome and there needed to be more Hal/Sinestro scenes. What did we get instead a whiny Hal. He has all this power and he sits there and whines. He is the Edward Cullen of superheroes. Edward is immortal and has all this power but what does he do, he sits there and whines exactly like Hal Jordan. I actually do feel bad for Hector while he is still Hector, poor guy has nothing going for him. When he turns into Parallax, I stopped feeling bad for him because his screaming is so damn annoying. The action is pretty awesome and the constructs are great to see, suit looks great in motion. I hope to God there is a sequel, there is so much potential for a sequel and I'm going to take the optimistic route and say they right the wrongs.

But would anyone even watch it?

^I think they would. People watch sequels to panned movies all the time. It could just happen that the sequel is such a dark horse smash that it revives the franchise. Provided the problems of GL are fixed, that is. Which obviously requires throwing more money at it and focusing on the otherworldly aspects over the earthly.

^I think they would. People watch sequels to panned movies all the time. It could just happen that the sequel is such a dark horse smash that it revives the franchise. Provided the problems of GL are fixed, that is. Which obviously requires throwing more money at it and focusing on the otherworldly aspects over the earthly.

That would be a helluva financial risk for WB.

It's going to be a really hard sell to WB for a sequel. Maybe if Nolan comes on as exec. producer.

ohhhhhh myyyyyy godddddd everyone needs to knock off this nolan is the cure B.S.

ohhhhhh myyyyyy godddddd everyone needs to knock off this nolan is the cure B.S.

I use Nolan as an example, like I would Spielberg as exec, producer. Maybe better described here...

But it's also somewhat comforting that, at least every now and then, people won't endorse an inferior product no matter how loudly it's marketed. Sometimes, failing badly is the best shot in the arm towards upping quality control. Granted, some feel that Superman Returns should have been all the reality check they needed, but each franchise is unique. Perhaps Nolan will be the next Spielberg in terms of overseeing productions as an executive producer...a genuine film person who helps converge the franchise needs with the creative ones.

....not meant as "Chris Nolan's Green Lantern". The point is, like with any big-time movie, it's good to have a real film person as the go-between from exec$$ to filmmaker, because they understand, cinematically, that the real success of any film lies in the screen, and what sort of experience it delivers to the audience. Also, better to minimize studio 'interference' if the film's director has someone in their creative corner who has the ear and respect of the money people. Could be Nolan, or it could be some other filmmaker with a track record of great success.

Hope that makes you feel better. ;)

From the sounds of it, Geoff Johns was supposed to be that guy as exec. producer. But...is he more of a film guy, or a comic guy?

Last edited:
Here's an idea, get Bryan Singer as producer and JJ Abrams as director for GL sequel, people will be interested. (or some other talented big name producer - director.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"