• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Official Green Lantern Review Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's something so many here have no personal knowledge of.

It's just silly to whine about Green Lantern getting advice. One, because that's what Carol Ferris does in the comics. Two, the same fans have accepted Batman, Spider-Man, and the X-Men getting advice from other people, but now Hal Jordan can't? It's just silly the double standard that's going on here right now.

Really, the problem with Green Lantern isn't that it does anything significantly wrong. All the major touchstones of Hal's origin are present and correct, the thematic broad strokes, the characters, the mythos. There's impressive effects, good action. The problem isn't the film doing anything bad. Just that the stuff that it does good doesn't get enough breathing space to become great.

There's a shadow of a great film here, a sense that a tidy-up here, or expanding on a scene there, would have really tightened this up and pushed it nearer the top tier of the genre. Some flaws prevent it from reaching that upper echelon of superhero movies, but it is hardly the franchise-sinking embarrassment that the critics' narrative is inevitably shaping it to be. It is a perfectly enjoyable mid-level superhero movie, at least as good as Thor and X-Men: First Class, probably a little better. And the sad thing is, you get a sense that the film could act as the building blocks for a much better sequel. But if the reviews lead to box office failure, that won't happen.

This.

I saw it with an entire auditorium of other critics. There were some laughs at the jokes and it got a lukewarm bit of applause at the end. I gave it 6.5 out of 10, and in our newspaper print edition we gave it 3 out of 5 stars.

It was 'fun' and 'entertaining' but films have to be more than that, and critics have to look for more than that: acting, dialogue, score, storyline, themes, directing, etc.

I found myself thinking about how Nolan would probably have done it and came up with an entirely different film. I then came to the conclusion that it really wasn't that much better than the Fantastic Four films or the Schumacher Batman movies.

I'm not sure how I rate it next to Thor. When I saw Thor, i thought it was great but I never went back to see it again and I realise there was hardly anything memorable in the film. It now seems fairly forgettable.

There's far more depth and emotion and meaning in X-Men: First Class. It may be the least faithful adaptation but it is certainly the strongest film, in my view.

We can't just allow ourselves to be bedazzled by visual flourishes, it's substance and soul that stays with you and which makes the action and the visuals matter.

It's just silly to whine about Green Lantern getting advice. One, because that's what Carol Ferris does in the comics. Two, the same fans have accepted Batman, Spider-Man, and the X-Men getting advice from other people, but now Hal Jordan can't? It's just silly the double standard that's going on here right now.

Really, the problem with Green Lantern isn't that it does anything significantly wrong. All the major touchstones of Hal's origin are present and correct, the thematic broad strokes, the characters, the mythos. There's impressive effects, good action. The problem isn't the film doing anything bad. Just that the stuff that it does good doesn't get enough breathing space to become great.

There's a shadow of a great film here, a sense that a tidy-up here, or expanding on a scene there, would have really tightened this up and pushed it nearer the top tier of the genre. Some flaws prevent it from reaching that upper echelon of superhero movies, but it is hardly the franchise-sinking embarrassment that the critics' narrative is inevitably shaping it to be. It is a perfectly enjoyable mid-level superhero movie, at least as good as Thor and X-Men: First Class, probably a little better. And the sad thing is, you get a sense that the film could act as the building blocks for a much better sequel. But if the reviews lead to box office failure, that won't happen.

This.

Agree with this as well. It was an enjoyable film that could have been a lot better if they gave it some room to breath. I would have liked to have seen 15 to 20 minutes of more character moments with Hal and his family, and Hector needed more time.

I know mark millar hated it

have there been any other reviews/impressions from people in the comic industry?

Well, I saw Green Lantern today. After the barrage of negative reviews, my anticipation for the film had turned to dread, and I went in fearing that I'd be in for a bad, disappointing movie. I watched the movie, and... it was actually pretty good.

I think Green Lantern is a victim of a zeitgeist. A bad zeitgeist. Bad reviews can become like a runaway train, where the more a film gets the stigma of being "bad", the more other critics review it from the perspective of being a bad film, so bad reviews beget more bad reviews, and the criticisms get more extreme as people take more relish in tearing the film apart, until it's like sharks at a feeding frenzy. I've defended the critics and their validity on this thread, and I still respect their opinions, but I think they're wrong on this one.

I was just thinking the same thing. Unfortunately, it's probably more fun to write a bad review than it is a good one. You can be more of a wise-cracker, a satirist, a sensationalist...all the the things that some writers dreamed of doing before getting stuck reviewing movies. And what better target than something that announces its presence loudly with the expressed purpose of making a lot of money?

So even though a movie may very well be poor....depending on what kind of movie it is...it can very easily get piled upon. We all do it...heck, it's fun. But it doesn't always tell the whole story. It still looks like Gl just isn't a very good movie...which isn't a death-penalty crime. It just may not be as biblically abhorrent as some of the more enthusiastic critics are making it out to be. And heck...some people may even like it...and be glad they like it. Imagine that.

Well, I saw Green Lantern today. After the barrage of negative reviews, my anticipation for the film had turned to dread, and I went in fearing that I'd be in for a bad, disappointing movie. I watched the movie, and... it was actually pretty good.

I think Green Lantern is a victim of a zeitgeist. A bad zeitgeist. Bad reviews can become like a runaway train, where the more a film gets the stigma of being "bad", the more other critics review it from the perspective of being a bad film, so bad reviews beget more bad reviews, and the criticisms get more extreme as people take more relish in tearing the film apart, until it's like sharks at a feeding frenzy. I've defended the critics and their validity on this thread, and I still respect their opinions, but I think they're wrong on this one.

The first thing that needs to be said that, seeing this film in 3D at the cinema, Green Lantern looks GORGEOUS. As a jaded filmgoer, it's rare for me to just stare open-mouthed and be amazed at the visuals on-screen, but that happened here. I don't get where the whole "shoddy special effects" angle is coming from, as visually this has splendour to rival Avatar, and I think Green Lantern was far more enjoyable. But that got the 5 star reviews and the Oscar nominations, and this is getting crapped on. See what I mean about zeitgeists?

All the characters are a bit underwritten. But the eminently likeable Ryan Reynolds manages to make Hal watchable and compelling even when his arc is a bit muddied and clumsily handled. His star presence really helps to prevent Hal from being totally cardboard. Blake Lively struggles more with the thin material, often becoming a blank-faced exposition delivery device. Peter Saarsgard makes for an engaging villain, but his arc is muddied and feels out of order. He almost immediately begins his path to big-headed psychodom, and then his shared history with Hal is retroactively worked in later, and never really paid more than the faintest of lip service.

Sinestro is simultaneously the strongest performance, and the one most underserved by the script. Mark Strong is all subtle menace and lip-curling smarm, but balanced with a sense of inherent decency and moral fortitude. The film begins to soar when Hal is on Oa, and has his first confrontation with Sinestro. If the film's second act had been dominated by Sinestro training Hal, and Hal gradually winning his grudging respect, then his friendship, the film would have been elevated to a whole other level, and made for much better viewing than the meandering second act we get instead. But there's still good stuff in that second act, and I don't know how much I'd have taken out to accomodate altered material.

I totally agree with everything you have said. I saw the film earlier tonight and i really enjoyed it. I really dont understand where all the bad reviews are coming from. I would say i enjoyed it as much as Thor and i loved that movie..

The first thing that needs to be said that, seeing this film in 3D at the cinema, Green Lantern looks GORGEOUS. As a jaded filmgoer, it's rare for me to just stare open-mouthed and be amazed at the visuals on-screen, but that happened here. I don't get where the whole "shoddy special effects" angle is coming from, as visually this has splendour to rival Avatar, and I think Green Lantern was far more enjoyable. But that got the 5 star reviews and the Oscar nominations, and this is getting crapped on. See what I mean about zeitgeists?

All the characters are a bit underwritten. But the eminently likeable Ryan Reynolds manages to make Hal watchable and compelling even when his arc is a bit muddied and clumsily handled. His star presence really helps to prevent Hal from being totally cardboard. Blake Lively struggles more with the thin material, often becoming a blank-faced exposition delivery device. Peter Saarsgard makes for an engaging villain, but his arc is muddied and feels out of order. He almost immediately begins his path to big-headed psychodom, and then his shared history with Hal is retroactively worked in later, and never really paid more than the faintest of lip service.

Sinestro is simultaneously the strongest performance, and the one most underserved by the script. Mark Strong is all subtle menace and lip-curling smarm, but balanced with a sense of inherent decency and moral fortitude. The film begins to soar when Hal is on Oa, and has his first confrontation with Sinestro. If the film's second act had been dominated by Sinestro training Hal, and Hal gradually winning his grudging respect, then his friendship, the film would have been elevated to a whole other level, and made for much better viewing than the meandering second act we get instead. But there's still good stuff in that second act, and I don't know how much I'd have taken out to accomodate altered material.

Extremely thoughtful review, better written than most real critics.

Thanks for posting.

How come this thread is not attached with a poll?

I saw it with an entire auditorium of other critics. There were some laughs at the jokes and it got a lukewarm bit of applause at the end. I gave it 6.5 out of 10, and in our newspaper print edition we gave it 3 out of 5 stars.

It was 'fun' and 'entertaining' but films have to be more than that, and critics have to look for more than that: acting, dialogue, score, storyline, themes, directing, etc.

I found myself thinking about how Nolan would probably have done it and came up with an entirely different film. I then came to the conclusion that it really wasn't that much better than the Fantastic Four films or the Schumacher Batman movies.

I'm not sure how I rate it next to Thor. When I saw Thor, i thought it was great but I never went back to see it again and I realise there was hardly anything memorable in the film. It now seems fairly forgettable.

There's far more depth and emotion and meaning in X-Men: First Class. It may be the least faithful adaptation but it is certainly the strongest film, in my view.

We can't just allow ourselves to be bedazzled by visual flourishes, it's substance and soul that stays with you and which makes the action and the visuals matter.
Why cant people go to see a film and just be entertained and have fun. Why do films have to be more??

All of the negativity is frustrating because my main problems with this movie were with what should have been in the movie but wasnt. In genuinely bad superhero movies like the Fantastic Fours, Catwoman, Hex, Spider-Man 3, and even Daredevil, the problems were with what was on screen. They all had cringe worthy scenes. For me, there was nothing cringe worthy in Green Lantern even though GL should have been better.

Point blank, it's much more fun and entertaining to lambast something than to sing its praises. And now some are just following suit so they can be in with the cool kids.

Point blank, it's much more fun and entertaining to lambast something than to sing its praises. And now some are just following suit so they can be in with the cool kids.

I think there is a group hate mentality that build on this site, and certain films get over hated on here. SM3 is another film I happen to think is very flawed, but really doesn't deserve the venom it got. GL is in that same boat, for me. I can see the complaints. I acknowledge many problems with the film. But, I don't think this was nearly as bad as people are saying it is. But, once again...this is a very flawed film IMO. Just not in the same boat as truly bad films like FF, FF2, GR, or Wolverine.

Green Lantern may now have surpassed Watchmen as most underrated Comic Book film . Not only is it not bad , its a damn very good to at times great film.

I am really scratching my head over the reviews . I saw a different film apparently than most folks

Is this movie even worth going to see? I admit I like marvel characters a bit more but Ill see any super hero movie if its good in three areas acting, action and story.

On a side note I dont care if marvel has better movies then dc or vice versa, at the end of day there all in the same genre and they all need to be good in order to keep getting made.

I think there is a group hate mentality that build on this site, and certain films get over hated on here. SM3 is another film I happen to think is very flawed, but really doesn't deserve the venom it got. GL is in that same boat, for me. I can see the complaints. I acknowledge many problems with the film. But, I don't think this was nearly as bad as people are saying it is.

Ironically, venom in SM3 was a travesty. There really was nothing in GL to hate so much.

Green Lantern may now have surpassed Watchmen as most underrated Comic Book film . Not only is it not bad , its a damn very good to at times great film.

I am really scratching my head over the reviews . I saw a different film apparently than most folks
I think i saw the same film as you.

Is this movie even worth going to see? I admit I like marvel characters a bit more but Ill see any super hero movie if its good in three areas acting, action and story.

On a side note I dont care if marvel has better movies then dc or vice versa, at the end of day there all in the same genre and they all need to be good in order to keep getting made.

I give it a bordeline B+/A- . I guess lowered expectations left me very surprised . I really am confused by the hate of this film

Ironically, venom in SM3 was a travesty. There really was nothing in GL to hate so much.

I think Hector Hammond and Parallax were just as weak as Venom and Sandman in SM3. But, once again...there are things in SM3 I like. I get a lot of flack from people on here for it, but I don't care. I still like it.

I think Hector Hammond and Parallax were just as weak as Venom and Sandman in SM3. But, once again...there are things in SM3 I like. I get a lot of flack from people on here for it, but I don't care. I still like it.

I can respect that. Heck I was just enjoying a nostalgic watch of Masters of the Universe. To each his own. BUT I think venom was more of a travesty than HH or Parallax. For one thing Hector in the comics is lame too whereas I like Venom. As for Parallax, he wasn't a great character in the movie, but I don't think a giant big would have been much better.

The most underrated comic book movie is not Watchmen. It is Batman & Robin.

I think there is a group hate mentality that build on this site, and certain films get over hated on here. SM3 is another film I happen to think is very flawed, but really doesn't deserve the venom it got. GL is in that same boat, for me. I can see the complaints. I acknowledge many problems with the film. But, I don't think this was nearly as bad as people are saying it is. But, once again...this is a very flawed film IMO. Just not in the same boat as truly bad films like FF, FF2, GR, or Wolverine.

No question about it. I think Superman Returns, Ang Lee's Hulk, Spider-Man 3 and X3 all get more hate than they should (I actually love SR)... All flawed but it becomes the trendy thing to hate them so everyone jumps on board.

This.
isnt this essentially saying "this movie could have been good if it didnt suck"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"