The Official Green Lantern Review Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the whole Marvel v DC film battle amoung the fans is counter productive . Fanboys don't realize that the fate of all these films are tied together regardless of what the publishing company of the character is. The critics, public, and execs consider all of them the same , which is why you're hearing the critics moaning about too many comic book films. You don't hear critics saying there are too many Marvel films or DC films aren't as good , because they don't care. They all get painted with the same brush which is why, for good or ill , all the films are now being judged against TDK, Spiderman 2, or Superman.

If Fanboys want these characters to be taken seriously or even to get the non comic reading public interested in these characters , Fanboys should want most of these comic films to succeed or at least be good regardless of whether its Flash or Fantastic four. This comic book film boom we're going through now has no guarantee of lasting .
Totally agree with what you wrote. I think most general fans don't really care about the DC/Marvel tags on them they just know it as 'comic book' characters so overal it just doesn't matter unless ur a diehard comic fan. I do agree there seems to be a saturation in the movie industry right now doing comic book movies. I think there needs to be some lull's in doing these imo.

there was a time when these boards only had about 3 or 5 hero threads and we all celebrated each release together and united.

then Marvel Studios formed
lol.

My problem ain't with the marvel films as much as their fans themselves . I loved Thor and X First Class but I didn't feel the need to gloat when Wolverine turned out to be a turkey that some of these Marvel fans are doing now though Green Lantern is nearly as good as Thor and highly underrated imo

I liked it.

The Good:

The cast. Ryan Reynolds, Blake Lively, Peter Sarsgaard and Mark Strong were great as Hal Jordan, Carol Ferris, Hector Hammond and Sinestro. They are the main characters and delivered good performances, especially Sarsgaard and Strong. Angela Basset was also very interesting as Amanda Waller. I hope we see more of her in the future. I especially liked that they gave her a backstory. Wasn't expecting that.

The voice actors. Geoffrey Rush and Michael Clarke Duncan were amazing. Clancy Brown and whoever voiced the Guardians were alright.

The constructs. I loved every single one of them.

The action. Too quick, but very visually appealing.

The character design of... well, everything, really.

The majority of the humor was OK.

The CGI was mostly good.

The Bad:

Needed a longe running time in order to flesh out some characters and improve on some scenes.

It walks too much on the thin line between space opera, campy superhero movie and dark superhero movie.

The CGI on the Guardians and Parallax in a few scenes was dodgy.

Many characters had no real purpose. Tom, Carol's father, Tomar-Re, Sinestro, Kilowog could have more weight on the Plot.

Some of the humor was eh.

Action scenes could be longer.

In Summary: Good movie. I'd rank it above Thor and below X-Men: First Class.

4/5.

Bring on the sequel.

What can I say about this movie? Well, for one. The reviews are entirely unnecessarily scathing. Yes, they do make some extremely valid points, but for the most part the movie’s major problem is it’s just bland. It’s by the numbers. It sticks way too close to the formula and that hurts it. Especially when so much talent is behind this thing it’s insane. Well, talent and Blake Lively, because let’s not kid ourselves, Blakey dear.

It’s long, it’s boring in parts, and mostly bland, but is it bad? No. Is it the worst movie I’ve ever seen? No. Is it the best? No?

Superhero wise is it the best? No. Far from it. Is it the worst? Absolutely not, far from it there as well. If I could just describe the movie in one word it’s ”Bland.” It doesn’t even try to set a bar for itself to jump over. It just presents everything to you and that’s that. Nothing more. Nothing extra.

6.5/10

My problem ain't with the marvel films as much as their fans themselves . I loved Thor and X First Class but I didn't feel the need to gloat when Wolverine turned out to be a turkey that some of these Marvel fans are doing now though Green Lantern is nearly as good as Thor and highly underrated imo

Do you also criticize DC fans for gloating over marvel movies....like when TDK became the second-highest grossing film of all time? 'Cuz it's about the gloating, right?

Do you also criticize DC fans for gloating over marvel movies....like when TDK became the second-highest grossing film of all time? 'Cuz it's about the gloating, right?

Both sides do no doubt but its far worse on the marvel fans end and really after there gloating over the overrated the years , paybeck should have been expected

Being a Marvel fan or DC fan has nothing to do with it . I'm a fan of both and I thought GL was a missed opportunity and it even as good as Thor or first Class .

i liked thor , didn't like first class, and like parts of gl

Anybody who gloats about the success or failure of a film they had nothing to do with is a moron.

I liked it. 7/10 from me.

The scathingly bad reviews are baffling.

I agree with protocida and JustABill. I give it a 4 out of 5 as well. It had some greatness, the off-Earth stuff all was good. I have to say that I don't dig Kilowog's rendering or his voice. Just not my bag. I loved Tomar Re, and Sinestro was killer. I read too many reviews before I went, I found myself watching and waiting for other people's observations to come up. There were a few great "Hal as GL" moments and overall I really dug the climactic battle with Parallax. True heroism filtered thru Hal Jordan. Nice.

Some of the Earth stuff dragged, I couldn't help but compare the tone to other modern superhero films, the editing did seem spotty. But some was great. Like when Hal overcame his bewilderment and ran to Abin Sur's side. I mostly enjoyed Hector Hammond as well. But I did cringe watching the helicopter scene, that construct just felt like too much to me. Parallax's attack on Coast City was great, much better on the big screen than in the clips offered last week or whenever. As it advanced on Hal I really felt the "GL"-ness kickin'.

Overall, I hope if there's a sequel, that it really delivers the bigness this one hints at. Oh, yeah, when the credits rolled, it was cool to see the colors of all the corps as space vapor or whatever, leading up to the hidden scene.

Also, I missed Rot Lop Fan entirely, and felt that the corps in general need to be utilized more if there's another film.

Both sides do no doubt but its far worse on the marvel fans end and really after there gloating over the overrated the years , paybeck should have been expected
Maybe they feel that DC fans gloat worse, and that the GL gloating is payback. I say share the guilt equally, or don't bring it up. ;)

DC fans are NO better than Marvel fans in the gloating department. As a frequenter of almost all the Marvel boards on this site and a couple DC ones, and moderator, I can tell you...that ship goes both ways equally. Both ways, it is stupid. Me personally, this movie wasn't that good. I feel like it was easily worse than Thor and FC as a film (seperating all fanhood and looking at the films as FILMS, which as a writer, I do). I don't think this was nearly Wolverine bad, but it was bad in many ways. But, as I noted in my first post about it...the visuals, Oa, and Sinestro elevated the film up from what is a 2/5 script to a film I'd rate about a 3/5.

However, I still would like this to succeed and make enough to warrant a sequel. I want more DC characters brought to the screen. I don't want WB to get cold feet cause they had a failed experiment. But, at the same time, I want WB to learn from mistakes on this film. Not repeat these mistakes with their non-Batman films. I am very worried for Superman, I won't lie. GL didn't help ease my apprehension on it, either.

Last edited:

So you are saying that Marvel fans gloat more? As I recall DC fans gloated when TDK grossed over 500 mil domestically. But anyway neither side should really gloat too much, because both sides have their share of bad movies.

So how is the 3d in this film , honestly?

DC fans are NO better than Marvel fans in the gloating department. As a frequenter of almost all the Marvel boards on this site and a couple DC ones, and moderator, I can tell you...that ship goes both ways equally. Both ways, it is stupid. Me personally, this movie wasn't that good. I feel like it was easily worse than Thor and FC as a film (seperating all fanhood and looking at the films as FILMS, which as a writer, I do). I don't think this was nearly Wolverine bad, but it was bad in many ways.

However, I still would like this to succeed and make enough to warrant a sequel. I want more DC characters brought to the screen. I don't want WB to get cold feet cause they had a failed experiment. But, at the same time, I want WB to learn from mistakes on this film. Not repeat these mistakes with their non-Batman films. I am very worried for Superman, I won't lie. GL didn't help ease my apprehension on it, either.

Pfff...typical WB-fanboy Marvel-envy.

;) :oldrazz:

DC fans are NO better than Marvel fans in the gloating department. As a frequenter of almost all the Marvel boards on this site and a couple DC ones, and moderator, I can tell you...that ship goes both ways equally. Both ways, it is stupid. Me personally, this movie wasn't that good. I feel like it was easily worse than Thor and FC as a film (seperating all fanhood and looking at the films as FILMS, which as a writer, I do). I don't think this was nearly Wolverine bad, but it was bad in many ways.

Personally, I do get the feeling that Marvel learned their lesson from IM2, which generally agreed as worse than the first movie and didn't live up to expectation. I thought Thor avoided alot of the pitfalls from IM2, and Capt. America may do likewise. Hopefully DC/WB will learn from GL instead of going back to their shell and just churn out more Superman and Batman movies.

Pfff...typical WB-fanboy Marvel-envy.

;) :oldrazz:

Oh, you mean we can't like both? If that is the case, DC IS TEH SUCK!!! :cmad:

:oldrazz:

Personally, I do get the feeling that Marvel learned their lesson from IM2, which generally agreed as worse than the first movie and didn't live up to expectation. I thought Thor avoided alot of the pitfalls from IM2, and Capt. America may do likewise. Hopefully DC/WB will learn from GL instead of going back to their shell and just churn out more Superman and Batman movies.

I think it is early to say that because Thor and Cap were filming prior to IM2's release. I can't use Thor as evidence they learned from IM2. Thor just happened to straddle that line between Avengers set-up and making it a Thor movie much better than IM2. I can't say that was really in response to IM2.

Sorry man but...

The script was horrible. Even people who like the movie admit this. There was no character development... for ANYONE. Including Hal Jordan.

That is simply not true.

Hal had very clear character development, as did Hector Hammond, as did Sinestro. Frankly, even Carol seemed to have some, but it mostly trended toward her realizing some things about Hal she had previously not, and becoming more compassionate as the film went on.

And the dialogue was laughable.

Which dialogue was laughable?

The scene where Carol spoon feeds what Hal needs to do to be a Green Lantern is cringe worthy. It's just terrible, not only in dialogue "you have the ability to overcome fear" but the fact that it's cheating. It takes away the opportunity for Hal to learn by himself. To develop by himself.

Why is that cringeworthy? It's true. He does have the ability to overcome great fear. "You have the ability to overcome great fear" is one of the best lines the Green Lantern mythos has to offer regarding Hal Jordan, or any of them. I'd say Hal more or less still figured things out for himself, he just needed an emotional boost in a tough situation. Being told something is one thing...you still have to act. And he did.

No, he has his cute girlfriend do it all for him.

Do what for him? Tell him he can overcome great fear? So? Why is support from friends, or in this case, a girlfriend, a bad thing?

His journey was A-C. The B was missing. To put it in simple terms.

No, the B was most certainly not missing. His journey begins with him as Hal Jordan, a reckless, irresponsible man who takes risks and causes issues for other people via his emotional abandonment of them. That's A. He hits rock bottom via his actions, meets Abin Sur, gets a Power Ring and Power Battery, is curious about his new powers, and travels to Oa, learns of the GL Corps, and discovers the weight of what is expected of him. He decides he can't do it because of his own insecurities, so he quits. That's B. His journey culminates with him realizing he has made mistakes and a big mistake in particular in rejecting the honor of joining the Corps, deciding he has to overcome his fear and insecurity, and embracing his new responsibility, and confronting his fears through sheer force of will. He becomes Green Lantern. To put it in simple terms. It's not inherently any less emotionally complex than say, Peter Parker's journey to become Spider-Man, or even Bruce Wayne's quest to become Batman. It just involves a few less elements, because the character itself revolves around a magic ring and lantern.

Last edited:
Do what for him? Tell him he can overcome great fear? So? Why is support from friends, or in this case, a girlfriend, a bad thing?

It's something so many here have no personal knowledge of.

Oh, you mean we can't like both? If that is the case, DC IS TEH SUCK!!! :cmad:

NO! U are TEH SOCK! :cmad::woot:

I thought Hal, Carol, Hector, and Sinestro were all developed. Was it in a fashion to everyone's liking? No. Was it to my liking? Yes. Did it exist? Yep.

Well, I saw Green Lantern today. After the barrage of negative reviews, my anticipation for the film had turned to dread, and I went in fearing that I'd be in for a bad, disappointing movie. I watched the movie, and... it was actually pretty good.

I think Green Lantern is a victim of a zeitgeist. A bad zeitgeist. Bad reviews can become like a runaway train, where the more a film gets the stigma of being "bad", the more other critics review it from the perspective of being a bad film, so bad reviews beget more bad reviews, and the criticisms get more extreme as people take more relish in tearing the film apart, until it's like sharks at a feeding frenzy. I've defended the critics and their validity on this thread, and I still respect their opinions, but I think they're wrong on this one.

The first thing that needs to be said that, seeing this film in 3D at the cinema, Green Lantern looks GORGEOUS. As a jaded filmgoer, it's rare for me to just stare open-mouthed and be amazed at the visuals on-screen, but that happened here. I don't get where the whole "shoddy special effects" angle is coming from, as visually this has splendour to rival Avatar, and I think Green Lantern was far more enjoyable. But that got the 5 star reviews and the Oscar nominations, and this is getting crapped on. See what I mean about zeitgeists?

All the characters are a bit underwritten. But the eminently likeable Ryan Reynolds manages to make Hal watchable and compelling even when his arc is a bit muddied and clumsily handled. His star presence really helps to prevent Hal from being totally cardboard. Blake Lively struggles more with the thin material, often becoming a blank-faced exposition delivery device. Peter Saarsgard makes for an engaging villain, but his arc is muddied and feels out of order. He almost immediately begins his path to big-headed psychodom, and then his shared history with Hal is retroactively worked in later, and never really paid more than the faintest of lip service.

Sinestro is simultaneously the strongest performance, and the one most underserved by the script. Mark Strong is all subtle menace and lip-curling smarm, but balanced with a sense of inherent decency and moral fortitude. The film begins to soar when Hal is on Oa, and has his first confrontation with Sinestro. If the film's second act had been dominated by Sinestro training Hal, and Hal gradually winning his grudging respect, then his friendship, the film would have been elevated to a whole other level, and made for much better viewing than the meandering second act we get instead. But there's still good stuff in that second act, and I don't know how much I'd have taken out to accomodate altered material.

Really, the problem with Green Lantern isn't that it does anything significantly wrong. All the major touchstones of Hal's origin are present and correct, the thematic broad strokes, the characters, the mythos. There's impressive effects, good action. The problem isn't the film doing anything bad. Just that the stuff that it does good doesn't get enough breathing space to become great.

There's a shadow of a great film here, a sense that a tidy-up here, or expanding on a scene there, would have really tightened this up and pushed it nearer the top tier of the genre. Some flaws prevent it from reaching that upper echelon of superhero movies, but it is hardly the franchise-sinking embarrassment that the critics' narrative is inevitably shaping it to be. It is a perfectly enjoyable mid-level superhero movie, at least as good as Thor and X-Men: First Class, probably a little better. And the sad thing is, you get a sense that the film could act as the building blocks for a much better sequel. But if the reviews lead to box office failure, that won't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"