• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Official Green Lantern Review Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
10-second sequel pitch:

My idea for a GL sequel is to make it a prequel about Sinestro. Show how Abin Sur took him under his wing, and how a deep friendship eventually soured into murderous jealousy.

GL: The Wrath Of Sinestro

gl and thor were the movies i was looking forward to the most. i really liked thor and had a couple holy**** moments. in greenlantern i really think i ruined my experience from the trailers so nothing was a surprise, even after not watching the last week of footage that was out.

such as?

GL was really fun . It seems like a lot of hater is coming from marvel fan boys looking to glaoat to , which I say go rewatch XMen The Last Stand or Wolverine if you want to see utter garbage .

I don't what the critics wanted , since they praised Thor but turned on this film . Both were very good films but no way is Thor that much superior as some critics are saying . Maybe slightly . Green Lantern was a lot better than Wanted Mr Millar . I mean a lot better.

GL was really fun . It seems like a lot of hater is coming from marvel fan boys looking to glaoat to , which I say go rewatch XMen The Last Stand or Wolverine if you want to see utter garbage .

I don't what the critics wanted , since they praised Thor but turned on this film . Both were very good films but no way is Thor that much superior as some critics are saying . Maybe slightly . Green Lantern was a lot better than Wanted Mr Millar . I mean a lot better.

TDK spawned alot of wb/dc fanboy superiority complex upon the low grade marvel films round these parts, pay backs a *****.

notice all the digs at WB's handle on the properties as a studio.

Roger Ebert gave GL a higher rating than Thor. Take that for what it's worth.

I agree they skimped on the Oa scene and the training and the editing there didn't make sense to me. It seems that Hal would more likely go through training THEN go to Sinestro's big pep rally. Like Tomar-Re would take Hal to the Book of Oa and show him some stuff then go to the pep rally. Train with Kilowog some, then Sinestro steps in.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the film. And yes, I think Sinestro go enough development to make his scene in the credits make sense. The guy wants power, and thinks that he needs that particular power to bring the order that he desires. And perhaps more importantly, he feels people should fear the Corps more. The only thing we haven't seen is Sinestro policing. If he feels the Guardians are ineffectual, and so do the bad elements in the universe then he's going to want them to fear him. It makes sense to him to take up the fear power.

This is not the same because those 2 movies were not done by marvel fox did those. This was a huge chance for DC to show they can produce another movie that is not Batman.

This is not the same because those 2 movies were not done by marvel fox did those. This was a huge chance for DC to show they can produce another movie that is not Batman.

They are marvel based characters . By that logic we can't consider X2 and Spider Man great marvel films because they were produced by Fox & Sony. Marvel fans can't have it both ways ... Dc Warner brother has done V for Vendetta & Watchmen . 2 films I consider very good to great

TDK spawned alot of wb/dc fanboy superiority complex upon the low grade marvel films round these parts, pay backs a *****.

notice all the digs at WB's handle on the properties as a studio.

Probably true, but the superior complex is warranted and will continue until Marvel actually does something about it. Marvel hasn't exactly helped itself regarding this either, they don't have a good track record since the second wave of Comic Book Adaptations started with X-Men in 2000, and they've done nothing but saturate the genre as well.

They are marvel based characters . By that logic we can't consider X2 and Spider Man great marvel films because they were produced by Fox & Sony. Marvel fans can't have it both ways ... Dc Warner brother has done V for Vendetta & Watchmen . 2 films I consider very good to great
I feel stupid lol thats a great point but DC owns all there movies so in a sense they should be better at this.But Im mixed on this movie I didnt hate it but I didnt love it.

After seeing Green Lantern, the only thing I could compare it to is Dune. The beginning expository monologue, Toto inspired guitar riffs on Oa, and finally characterization. Both films go about immersing the audience in the strange and fantastical right away.

lets whait until WB gets desperate when they lose Harry Potter and Nolan's Batman. then we will see what they will do with DC movies.

Thor pisses all over Green Lantern in terms of production design and story structure. I mean, there wasn't any ****ing production design in Green Lantern, it was all CGI! At least in Thor the throne room, Heimdall's Observatory, Odin's bed chamber etc were real, constructed sets. They even built that little New Mexico town from scratch. Then all the costumes were real.

Green Lantern had CGI backgrounds not only in Oa... but on Earth too! lol

And Thor is automatically better than Green Lantern because it had Loki. Loki alone makes Thor better than Green Lantern by a country mile.

100% agreed. Thor had much better acting that got you emotionally invested and strong arcs. GL just kind of floundered.

seems like both this films suffer due to the earth scenes

Thor only suffers on Earth for taking place over 2 days. Had the time span been longer, it would have been better, but the arcs and such all still work.

I thought Thor's Earth scenes were good. Because they had genuine emotion and actually made sense to the story.

Green Lantern has nothing that even comes close to the scene where Loki visits Thor when he's in the SHIELD facility.

Or Loki confronting Odin. Or Loki vs Thor. Or Thor asking Loki to kill himself and stop his assault. I could go on, lol.

TIH was a good movie. Far better than Ang Lee's disaster, IMO. It's still my least favorite of the Marvel Studios films to date, but it's far and away superior to the likes of X3, Wolverine, and SR.

TIH was better than IM2, IMO. I actually think TIH is underrated.

Morningstar,

Captain America deserves to bomb.

What sense does it make to have this film bomb....or any other film?

You act as if this film personally insulted you.

Cap is not out yet, so that is not a good comparison.

Roger Ebert gave GL a higher rating than Thor. Take that for what it's worth.

But, the majority of critics didn't. Critics are really meaningless as far as personal enjoyment, but if we're comparing the collective thoughts of critic ratings, Thor got more from the majority.

i wanted to keep the focus on gl, i posted lots of stuff about what i liked in the thor thread. the short answer is the frost giants scene, flying, the power of mjolnir.

i really like the oa stuff, the space flying was what i wanted to see. all the flying i loved. just didn't like the stuff on earth, hammond, hal's friend. the stuff on oa was cool and the construct fight was good, just felt like 2 different movies to me. i never really understood earth being the focal point for a gl of an entire sector. lets see the rest of sector 2814. i mean abin sur is also from 2814 and we dont see his planet. if an earthman got a ring to fly through space he would explore not go home right away.

Sorry man but... :funny:

The script was horrible. Even people who like the movie admit this. There was no character development... for ANYONE. Including Hal Jordan.

And the dialogue was laughable.

The scene where Carol spoon feeds what Hal needs to do to be a Green Lantern is cringe worthy. It's just terrible, not only in dialogue "you have the ability to overcome fear" but the fact that it's cheating. It takes away the opportunity for Hal to learn by himself. To develop by himself.

No, he has his cute girlfriend do it all for him.

His journey was A-C. The B was missing. To put it in simple terms.

I liked the movie, and I agree....agreeeeee!

After seeing Green Lantern, the only thing I could compare it to is Dune. The beginning expository monologue, Toto inspired guitar riffs on Oa, and finally characterization. Both films go about immersing the audience in the strange and fantastical right away.

And quickly proceed to confuse and bore the hell out of you for the rest of the movie?

Not exactly the best choice. :O

The alien Green Lantern characters were marginally used in this movie. Kilowog and Tomar Re barely do anything. Should've gotten it to Oa faster.

It was deflating that he's caught by the green energy when he's leaving his nephew's birthday party. Also the birthday party scene was weird. Who were all those people. One of those guys was his brother, but who was the other younger man and who was the woman? His sister or his sister-in-law?

And quickly proceed to confuse and bore the hell out of you for the rest of the movie?

Not exactly the best choice. :O

Exactly, just look what happened to Dune for Universal and Dino De Laurentiis.

I think the editing of the movie wasnt good. I would have liked it if they showed abin sur entering earths atmosphere and crash landing with the military picking it up rather than cut straight to the scene where hes already on earth. So many things happened without reason. But i still liked the movie regardless, its just that everyone these days are very observant and are able to spot things out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
I think the editing of the movie wasnt good. I would have liked it if they showed abin sur entering earths atmosphere and crash landing with the military picking it up rather than cut straight to the scene where hes already on earth.

Do we know that there was a scene with Sinestro crashing to Earth that was edited out?

I think the whole Marvel v DC film battle amoung the fans is counter productive . Fanboys don't realize that the fate of all these films are tied together regardless of what the publishing company of the character is. The critics, public, and execs consider all of them the same , which is why you're hearing the critics moaning about too many comic book films. You don't hear critics saying there are too many Marvel films or DC films aren't as good , because they don't care. They all get painted with the same brush which is why, for good or ill , all the films are now being judged against TDK, Spiderman 2, or Superman.

If Fanboys want these characters to be taken seriously or even to get the non comic reading public interested in these characters , Fanboys should want most of these comic films to succeed or at least be good regardless of whether its Flash or Fantastic four. This comic book film boom we're going through now has no guarantee of lasting .

I think the editing of the movie wasnt good. I would have liked it if they showed abin sur entering earths atmosphere and crash landing with the military picking it up rather than cut straight to the scene where hes already on earth. So many things happened without reason. But i still liked the movie regardless, its just that everyone these days are very observant and are able to spot things out of the ordinary.

maybe if they had a higher budget

As a DC fanboy who hates Marvel....

I can objectively say Marvel easily won this round.

X-men and Thor were great films that did everything right.

The behavior of the Marvel fans is justified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"