The Official Green Lantern Review Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, they didnt really make the GLC relatable as cops . General audiences can relate to Superman and Batman And Spider-Man even Iron Man have all suffered a loss and MANY people can relate to a loss like that .
But the only two losses we saw in GL was badly edited flashbacks of the death of Martin Jordan and the death of Abin Sur , an alien being.

For coming up something on the fly that was pretty good. I'm gonna guess you read the first draft(?) because there are some elements of it I see in there especially Martin Jordan's death. I was just wondering what your thought's were on that first draft; personally I had more fun reading it than watching the movie overall.

Also I disagree with you about Carol not knowing who he is at the end. She should find out but not embrace and immediately be together. She keeps the composure of being his boss. They should have a moment at the end where its obvious she loves him and vice-versa. She wishes him safe as he flies off to learn more about being a GL. We know she'll wait for him but is happy that he's finally taking responsibility and not screwing around with his life.

Bingo! You don't need a blatant, in your face love story. Innuendo would suffice. I missed the "Mr. Jordan" "Ms. Ferris" flirtations these two are known for. Obviously they wan to be together but there's more important **** going on.

As for that little dance I put together, pretty much I was thinking a combination of Secret Origins (which went deep into Hal's psyche) and Emerald Dawn (which showed a bit of the space drama but didn't innundate the story with too much information)

Yes, I very much enjoyed the first draft. Obviously a bit of fat had to be cut as well as some unnecessary cheesiness but over all I would take it anyday of the week over the shooting script that was used.

Sure, Ryan did a decent job with the role but I didn't see any of the veteran Air Force pilot/scarred hero in his performance. Basically he was a coward and a quitter throughout the film except for the final scene

Bingo! You don't need a blatant, in your face love story. Innuendo would suffice. I missed the "Mr. Jordan" "Ms. Ferris" flirtations these two are known for. Obviously they wan to be together but there's more important **** going on.

As for that little dance I put together, pretty much I was thinking a combination of Secret Origins (which went deep into Hal's psyche) and Emerald Dawn (which showed a bit of the space drama but didn't innundate the story with too much information)

Yes, I very much enjoyed the first draft. Obviously a bit of fat had to be cut as well as some unnecessary cheesiness but over all I would take it anyday of the week over the shooting script that was used.

Sure, Ryan did a decent job with the role but I didn't see any of the veteran Air Force pilot/scarred hero in his performance. Basically he was a coward and a quitter throughout the film except for the final scene
Well, I think that Hal was intended to be a living example of the battle between Fear and Will.

This is one of the great things about Iron Man; Pepper completely throws it back in Stark's face for leaving her at the party. It was just a tease of what we knew would come.

I wish Thor had done this too. Him and Jane should not have kissed; he charms her socks off promising to see her again after dealing with Loki. I personally prefer Sif with Thor over Jane but that's a different topic.

Well, I think that Hal was intended to be a living example of the battle between Fear and Will.

As opposed to in the film, where he was scared/oblivious/nonchalant about everything unless it was spoonfed to him by Carol

I would say he is a proven musician with many great scores under his belt so i`d take that over your judgment and opinion.

Michael Bay has several very successful films under his belt...does that make him a great filmmaker? And honestly...I don't think it's my or their powers of judgment that are the problem here, if you know what I mean. ;)

But nice try. :up:

Last edited:
rotten tomatoes isn't the most relieable source for information
i don't understand why its a make or break for people

rotten tomatoes isn't the most relieable source for information
i don't understand why its a make or break for people

Ya, audiences logging into their accounts to voice their opinions and give ratings is so unreliable ..... neither are the 192 critics reviews/ratings. Must be some evil conglomerate of people trying to prevent GL from being a success.

^I think the problem with RT is there is a certain sort of viewer that uses that website. Most are wannabe critics themselves. Most of them are likely the sorts to also read many reviews before they even go see a film. And no matter what one might say, a bad review, let alone a 4 or 5 of them, going into a film already poisons the well for most.

I think that stands in stark contrast to folks who generally aren't interested in being amateur critics but instead go see a movie because "hey, that looks far out and like it might be some fun on a hot summer day" whose answers are generally less tainted by bad press and more likely to get an honest unbiased impression of the film. Which is, in part, why I referred to the smaller sampling of Yahoo! Movies in a previous post because that 1400 people are less likely to be the sorts that are movie snobs, and that's definitely the impression I've always had of Rotten Tomatoes. And my thoughts on the commenting users of Yahoo! in general are very very very low. Their comments boards are always full of right wing nutters, always. I find it very distasteful generally. But I do think that leaves that site more prone to getting people who just went to see the movie and enjoyed the hell out of it, rather than be the sorts who poured over reviews before seeing it and then went in tainted with all the things critics picked at in their reviews. Rotten Tomatoes is very much so, that kind of site.

Fandango has a similar standing, IMO, as Yahoo! in this regard. And last time I checked Fandango users were giving favorable ratings to GL for the most part.

By all means, take Rotten Tomatoes as your preferred barometer. I still think that website appeals to a very specific demographic of viewer.

Also, it's very funny that you like to always bring up the canard that accuses anyone that questions the authenticity or reliability of RT of believing in some "evil conglomerate" conspiracy crap. Just quit with that garbage. That's just another weak means of you saying those that disagree with you are of lesser intelligence and crazy.

Ya, audiences logging into their accounts to voice their opinions and give ratings is so unreliable ..... neither are the 192 critics reviews/ratings. Must be some evil conglomerate of people trying to prevent GL from being a success.

:whatever:

Maybe you didnt read my post. Go back and read again. :rolleyes:

I said that the Batman theme, the minor third interval, SUCKS!!! ITS generic and uninspired. So, whoever complains about the lack of a GL theme, which there is a theme every time he shows up or flies, should look at movies like Iron Man AND Batman Begins too because they ALSO lack any good theme, IMO. Hey, I love BB but the score IS NOT one of its strenghts, imo. It is in no way comparable to B89, Batman Returns or Dark Knight.

Spider-man is the only origin superhero movie I`ve seen recently with a defined theme. But hey, its Danny Elfman and he is a master.

My complaint about the court scene is that the music, the slow somber, piano thing, EVOKED REDEMPTION for Chill but THAT WAS NOT what BRUCE was feeling at the moment. He was feeling nothing but anger and the music SHOULD ALWAYS reflect what the main character is thinking or feeling.

Anyways, nice try, musician man! :whatever::whatever:
You can deny it all you want, but you quite clearly said the theme was present in the court room scene, and you were dead wrong.

I interpreted the somber music as reflecting the coiling anger in Bruce. His sense of loss that was eating him up in side, not Chill's. If you don't like it, fine, but don't you dare tell me that I'm wrong just because I don't agree with you. You're acting like a spoiled little brat.

I hope that guy is not saying Green Lantern's score is better then Begins' score....because that is just silly.

I think he's saying he has issues with both. But that as a musician he found the theme for GL far more pronounced and memorable than BB's. Which I could see. The BB/TDK theme for Batman is not as memorable to me as the Burton films. The only reason that the BB/TDK theme has ever been stuck in my head is because of Arkham Asylum.

Hm. James Newton Howard isnt that great. The Green Hornet score theme is so close to the Dog Fight track...meh.

I didnt mind the THEME...but it needed to be more...themey.

You can deny it all you want, but you quite clearly said the theme was present in the court room scene, and you were dead wrong.

I interpreted the somber music as reflecting the coiling anger in Bruce. His sense of loss that was eating him up in side, not Chill's. If you don't like it, fine, but don't you dare tell me that I'm wrong just because I don't agree with you. You're acting like a spoiled little brat.

I don't think you can even compare Zimmers score with Danny Elfmans score just by music alone. Elfmans score is iconic and superb. Theres no track on BB thats as memorable as 'Descent into Mystery'.
But I think Zimmers score works wonderfully with Chris Nolans direction. Theres a lot of slow Dialogue heavy scenes in BB. Elfmans score wouldn't work with this pace and visual tone.
I still get goose bumps when Liam Neeson explains the legacy of The League of Shadows to Bruce at the Wayne manor and that track Lasiurus is playing.The tune changes in tone as he explains his plot. Great stuff. The music works great with the visuals I think. Bleak, but so is Gotham.

Last edited:
. I was actually interested in Hector Hammond from the previews but he was just a waste of a character. We don't even learn he used to be friends with Hal until like an hour into the movie and they don't do much with it.

They were friends?? I thought it was clear they went to school together but they didn't seem close in the film. I'd guess maybe acquaintances but Hammond seemed like a loner.

You know, "Green Lantern" has certain parallels to "Flash Gordon"(1980). "Flash Gordon" was heavily panned by critics when it was first released and bombed. The complaints were basically that the film wasn't ambitious like Lucas' Star Wars and Donner's "Superman". Now that film has 82% at RT.

"GL" may not be as innovated as "Batman Begins" or "Iron Man", but that doesn't mean it is any less fun. This film, like "Flash Gordon", has big broad spectrum of fun. That's one of the reasons I very much liked it.

Anyway, like "The Incredible Hulk", and "Watchmen", I think GL will find broader glory on Blu-Ray/DVD.

I thought that Green Lantern was really good considering this was his first appearance on the big screen. What made this movie more enjoyable for me is that I don't know much about Green Lantern, so when I went to see the movie, I didn't view it from a fans point of view and constantly pick at what was done right and wrong. I hope that there's enough bonus footage for a Director's Cut/Extended version when the DVD comes out.

I thought that Green Lantern was really good considering this was his first appearance on the big screen. What made this movie more enjoyable for me is that I don't know much about Green Lantern, so when I went to see the movie, I didn't view it from a fans point of view and constantly pick at what was done right and wrong. I hope that there's enough bonus footage for a Director's Cut/Extended version when the DVD comes out.

All signs point to no directors or extended cut because of how poor this film is doing critically and financially.

But lets say there is one for arguments sake and it does make the film a great deal better. I would be even more pissed because they ruined what would have been an enjoyable film.

^I think the problem with RT is there is a certain sort of viewer that uses that website. Most are wannabe critics themselves. Most of them are likely the sorts to also read many reviews before they even go see a film. And no matter what one might say, a bad review, let alone a 4 or 5 of them, going into a film already poisons the well for most.

I think that stands in stark contrast to folks who generally aren't interested in being amateur critics but instead go see a movie because "hey, that looks far out and like it might be some fun on a hot summer day" whose answers are generally less tainted by bad press and more likely to get an honest unbiased impression of the film. Which is, in part, why I referred to the smaller sampling of Yahoo! Movies in a previous post because that 1400 people are less likely to be the sorts that are movie snobs, and that's definitely the impression I've always had of Rotten Tomatoes. And my thoughts on the commenting users of Yahoo! in general are very very very low. Their comments boards are always full of right wing nutters, always. I find it very distasteful generally. But I do think that leaves that site more prone to getting people who just went to see the movie and enjoyed the hell out of it, rather than be the sorts who poured over reviews before seeing it and then went in tainted with all the things critics picked at in their reviews. Rotten Tomatoes is very much so, that kind of site.

Fandango has a similar standing, IMO, as Yahoo! in this regard. And last time I checked Fandango users were giving favorable ratings to GL for the most part.

By all means, take Rotten Tomatoes as your preferred barometer. I still think that website appeals to a very specific demographic of viewer.

Also, it's very funny that you like to always bring up the canard that accuses anyone that questions the authenticity or reliability of RT of believing in some "evil conglomerate" conspiracy crap. Just quit with that garbage. That's just another weak means of you saying those that disagree with you are of lesser intelligence and crazy.

Wait wait wait ... we can trust Fandango and Yahoo, but not RT. Ok bud. Just stop. Seriously. Why would anyone log into an account to write a review unless they were channeling their inner critic, whether it was RT or Yahoo? PFfft.

How do you know people who used those two sites didn't read other reviews before they wrote theirs? Just laughable man. BTW RT has over 78,000 reviews. Yahoo 1,300 and Fandango 2,000 .... discussion over.

I will attest that I question the rational thinking skills of people blaming critics for this films pathetic showing. Case in point TF2. Critics destroyed that film in their reviews. Did that stop the public from liking it? No. I can't stop laughing though. The GL performance is being blamed on "snob" wannabe reviewers and critics.

Is it alright then for me to blame you for movies like this being made?

Last edited:
Anyway I saw the movie this afternoon. If I'm generous I'll give it 5 or 6 out of 10.

My primary problem is it feels like three movies (about the Corp, Hal and Carol, and Hector) awkwardly mashed together, and that the trailer suggested a much better story.

How did the trailer suggest a much better story?

Nothing is introduced with any sense of wonder

Wow. That's just...not true.

All signs point to no directors or extended cut because of how poor this film is doing critically and financially.

If the dvd sells well, I don't see why there can't be an extended or director's cut.

Wait wait wait ... we can trust Fandango and Yahoo, but not RT. Ok bud. Just stop. Seriously. Why would anyone log into an account to write a review unless they were channeling their inner critic, whether it was RT or Yahoo? PFfft.

How do you know people who used those two sites didn't read other reviews before they wrote theirs? Just laughable man. BTW RT has over 78,000 reviews. Yahoo 1,300 and Fandango 2,000 .... discussion over.

I will attest that I question the rational thinking skills of people blaming critics for this films pathetic showing. Case in point TF2. Critics destroyed that film in their reviews. Did that stop the public from liking it? No. I can't stop laughing though. The GL performance is being blamed on "snob" wannabe reviewers and critics.

Is it alright then for me to blame you for movies like this being made?

See, I think you're one of those "fans" with their heads up their backsides, because this film is not nearly as bad as you would suggest. I'm a huge fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender, for instance, and I can objectively say that M. Night Shyamalan's attempt at making a movie of that series was a mess, rushed, badly edited and quite frankly a piss poor film. Green Lantern is no where near that bad. No where near it.

And, no, the discussion is NOT over simply because you declare it so. You cannot hold RT up and expect everyone not to be critical of that as a barometer. That's not to say there aren't some problems with Green Lantern on a compositional level, but I find it unlikely the Rotten Tomatoes is as representative of people who saw the film and enjoyed as you'd like people to believe. Regardless of the sampling. Again, there's a certain demographic of people who log onto a site like Rotten Tomatoes, or any other exclusive film site akin to it, to register their reviews. Many of them fashion themselves film critics in some manner. Most, even. The same is not true of Yahoo, IMO, simply because of the nature of that website.

Take it for what is. Yahoo's respondents reviews tend to fall in a similar range as the positive respondents on RT anyway.

And yeah, negative reviews poison the well for movies all the time. Superhero movies included. That you refuse to believe that belies your bias that this movie is so bad no one in their right minds could possibly like because you believe it is so objectively bad that negative reviews couldn't possibly have turned people off to the notion of the movie before they even check movie times and decided to go to the movie.

Laugh all you want. Doesn't change the fact that there are plenty of people with an opinion contrary to yours and that your opinion isn't the end all be all of this discussion.

I honestly hope the movie gets a sequel so many of the issues can be ironed out by the follow up and hopefully give the scope that is desired. I'd rather not have ***** like you with nothing of value to say. Frankly, you're just a naysayer and you're pointless in discussion because you are incapable of holding a one, as evidenced by your dismissive attitude of anything differing from your own point of view. It's sad really.

Last edited:
If the dvd sells well, I don't see why there can't be an extended or director's cut.

I think in order for that to happen, they'd have to throw money at a sequel and get the formula right, really wow audiences and critics alike and then there might be a slim chance they would revisit the first film in an attempt to iron out some of the problems with it. And that's on the narrow shot that WB will still be looking to Green Lantern as their next big franchise. I think they'd be crazy not to exploit it for that tentpole factor alone, but they are going to have to really allow it to be done for all it's worth rather than meddle, and be afraid of how much money it's going to take to get things done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"