The Official Super Smash Bros. Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a thread for all things Smash Bros. Loved the games since the first one came out. I got it for my birthday. I rocked as Mario, but my sister was a Pikachu user. She spammed the hell out of Thunder. :(

Anyway, with the new Wii U I'm not hyped, but intrigued to see where the franchise will go from Brawl. I was not entirely enamoured with the game. I got tired of it after a couple of months. So I hope the next game will be better.

I also love that Sakurai is interested in bringing some Capcom characters in the next game. :awesome:

I'm getting both versions, there's enough variety between them that I'll want them both. I can honestly say there's more difference between them than there is the Pokémon version games. And I own all of those!

Super Smash Bros. Director On Finding The Balance Between Fun And Complexity. August 29, 2014 . 3:32pm

“The most important thing is that the game have breadth and depth,” says Super Smash Bros. director Masahiro Sakurai.

This month’s issue of the U.K.’s Edge magazine contains interviews with various development staff working on Nintendo games, and one of the interviews is with Super Smash Bros. director Masahiro Sakurai. During his interview, Sakurai was asked to comment on the differences between Super Smash Bros. Melee and Brawl, and how the Gamecube game is more popular with tournament players. (Thanks, Nintendo Everything)

Sakurai replies, “I think the popularity of Melee rested fundamentally on the game’s speed. The dazzling exchange of skills was the game’s most exhilarating aspect and the rough edges in terms of the game’s balance went mostly unnoticed. Even though the dynamic range of the characters was limited, the game somehow made its mark, even with hardcore fans of the genre. ”

Sakurai goes on to say that Melee’s controls were rather complicated, and that this is one of his regrets regarding the game, as it ended up being a “Smash Bros. game for hardcore fighting fans,” and that isn’t the goal of the series at all. In fact, Sakurai says, he feels that complicated controls are the greatest shortcoming of fighting games in general, and this is why he feels the need to avoid them.

“Companies that release products that target a very vocal, visible group of gamers tend to receive good reactions and they may feel good about it, but I think that we have to pay special attention to the less vocal, not so visible group of players, or else games will just fade away,” Sakurai explains. This is a sentiment that is often voiced by many other designers that work internally at Nintendo as well.

Instead, Sakurai says, the goal of Smash Bros.is to be an “opponent-based action game” where a wide variety of events can occur, some of them “quite outrageous”.

“The most important thing is that the game have breadth and depth, since we would like them to be popular with both novices and hardcore gamers,” he shares. “We think that people who aren’t so good at turning the tables and coming back from behind can still get enjoyment out of the [new] game, even if they turn off items and Smash Balls.”

“Although the pace of the game had to be lowered compared to Melee in order to achieve this balance, we have managed to keep the dynamism because we didn’t have to gear towards novice players like we did with Brawl. In fact, we recreated all characters almost from scratch. Also, I feel on a personal level that this game is more interesting than the three previous games in the series.”

Read more stories about Nintendo 3DS & Super Smash Bros. 3D & Super Smash Bros. Wii U & Wii U on Siliconera.
source: Siliconera

Looks like some of the Amiibo's are already being shown as out of stock on Amazon. Not the ones you'd expect so much: Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Marth. Maybe they had fewer pre-order tickets of those since they expected them to be less popular. Man, I have a feeling these are going to be bigger than expected.

I haven't played Smash since the Gamecube era, so I can't wait to play it on the 3DS.

As for the Amiibos, I wonder what they'll unlock.

Well, there's only been one game since the GC era, lol.

As far as we can tell now, the Amiibos don't look like they'll unlock anything. They are for basic data transfering, and you can "summon" your Amiibo as an AI to practice or to do team battles. They haven't sat down and broken down all the features, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's all they'll do.

I'm honestly at the point that I don't care about any new fighters being announced, unless they decide to also show off what Kirby looks like with their ability.

I'll be getting both versions. I'm a SSB freak, and it's really the only game I go over the top about.

Shulk looks better than I thought he would. I assumed he'd just be a sword wielder, but his different modes or whatever make him more strategic.

And Zero Suite Shulk.

I'll be getting both versions. I'm a SSB freak, and it's really the only game I go over the top about.

Shulk looks better than I thought he would. I assumed he'd just be a sword wielder, but his different modes or whatever make him more strategic.

And Zero Suite Shulk.

so-hot.gif

The Amiibo's (as far as I've heard) are meant to act as both data transfer devices, like for Mario Kart 8 and SSB, but also to unlock certain features in games. What exactly they'll unlock is unknown.

On the brighter side...we're almost a month away from the 3DS release of Smash Bros!!!

First I've heard about them unlocking features in the game. I actually don't like the sound of that.

I don't think it'd be anything major, maybe minor stuff, like DLC type content.

Ew, still don't like the sound of that. I really don't want any content of that nature behind a toy paywall. Data transferring/sharing, leveling your AI, that stuff I can be okay with, but not actual game content.

It's honestly not that bad. Not much different than the Disney Infinity and Skylanders figures, which most people assumed they'd be in that range.

6inch action figures sell for $20 retail now (10 years ago the same line sold for $7.99)

$13 is a really fair price for these. Toys are just more expensive these days due to the price of oil affecting the plastic industry

6inch action figures sell for $20 retail now (10 years ago the same line sold for $7.99)

$13 is a really fair price for these. Toys are just more expensive these days due to the price of oil affecting the plastic industry
And they are less then what Disney infinity is selling for with their's.

Oh and they are optional if one doesn't want to buy them for what ever reason, it won't effect buyers of the games. this has also been stated in the game informer articles and people there.

Last edited:
Yeah I figure if theres dlc you nay have the option to buy the amiibo to receive it or an online package dlc

well at least she's not wearing any nawtyer underwear then that. .. moving on

Buy Smash Bros. 3DS, Wii U, earn epic public entrances

(5 minutes ago)

After Super Smash Bros. launches on 3DS, you can walk along to your personal anthem from its soundtrack. If you're lucky enough, your song might land on the dual-disc sampling offered to Club Nintendo members, which would ensure you'd have a copy to lend audio personnel whenever a triumphant public entrance is needed.

In order to get the soundtrack selection seen above, fans in North America and Europe will need to register codes from both the 3DS and Wii U versions of Smash on their Club Nintendo account. A track list and estimated release date are currently unknown, but the NA Club Nintendo page fittingly teases that further details are still coming.
[Image: Nintendo]​
Super Smash Bros. (Captain Falcon screens)

Also

Xenoblade’s Riki Will Be An Assist Trophy In Super Smash Bros., Too. September 1, 2014 . 11:27am

Riki from Xenoblade Chronicles will appear both as part of Shulk’s Final Smash and as an Assist Trophy.

Riki from Xenoblade Chronicles will appear both as part of Shulk’s Final Smash and as an Assist Trophy in the new Super Smash Bros., director Masahiro Sakurai said on Miiverse last night.

“As an Assist Trophy, he uses many arts like Happy Happy, Freezinate, and Yoink,” Sakurai wrote. “He sounds a bit like Tingle…but don’t worry, Tingle will make an appearance too.”

“By the way, a cursor will appear above Assist Trophies and Pokémon to indicate which fighter is its ally. Now you can tell right off the bat who it belongs to!!”

Read more stories about Nintendo 3DS & Super Smash Bros & Wii U on Siliconera.
Via: Joystiq
Source: Club Nintendo, Twitter& Siliconera

Last edited:
OH MY GOD! What is that thing? I want to squish it in a mama bear hug. :atp:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"