The Official Super Smash Bros. Thread - Part 2

cd0e93c187dbf76d8d000f3d95bf420c7b09c51dr1-1024-563v2_hq.jpg

Our next WTF choice.

I just learned Sakurai chose Decidueye for Ultimate but changed his mind at the last minute cause he felt a wrestler would fit a fighting game more.

tenor.gif

Are they gonna make a new Smash or is the franchise done?

They are going to make a new Smash. Eventually.

Just expect a huge downgrade in roster.

They are going to make a new Smash. Eventually.

Just expect a huge downgrade in roster.
What’s the reason for downgrade in roster? :csad:

What’s the reason for downgrade in roster? :csad:

Ultimate, in a lot of ways, was really just Smash 4.5. Its why it was able to come out so quickly on Switch. A new game, in theory, would have to start again. Also, expecting some of the deals that allowed many of the third party game characters in to this game seems unlikely to happen. Hell, it isn't exactly clear if Sakurai is going to be doing the next game, and he is the reason a lot of these characters were able to get in.

Just don't take Wolf away from me again.

Ultimate, in a lot of ways, was really just Smash 4.5. Its why it was able to come out so quickly on Switch. A new game, in theory, would have to start again. Also, expecting some of the deals that allowed many of the third party game characters in to this game seems unlikely to happen. Hell, it isn't exactly clear if Sakurai is going to be doing the next game, and he is the reason a lot of these characters were able to get in.
I see. :csad: Thanks for the explanation. I love mega rosters on fighting games but I understand it can’t always happen.

Exactly. The only reason Ultimate was able to pull off "everyone is here" was because it reused assets from Smash 4. Which in turn reused assets from Brawl. This is the case for pretty much every fighter that started out with huge rosters right from the get-go. I really don't expect them to just simply reuse assets from now on. If Nintendo were to still be making Smash games about 20 years from now, the roster isn't gonna be over 120+ characters. There will be a lot of characters that have come and gone over the years.

Game development is hard and time-consuming. The more characters that are in that are already in the game, the longer it takes to add another one. Development time grows exponentially the more characters are added, not linearly. They have to program each character to interact with every existing character and repeat that process every time they introduce someone. And IIRC, even Sakurai himself stated that another "everyone is here" Smash game wouldn't be likely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"