The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 52

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the longest that Messi has been out of form since he got really good? One of the most consistent greats out there surely.

Honestly I don't think he's really hit a bad patch, come to think of it.

The only accusation that can be leveled at him is that Barcelona's trophy haul hit a brick wall (by their modern standards) during the Vilanova/Martino years, but mostly his personal contribution has been outstanding since he was about 21/22.

I'd hope he already has it. :hehe:

At this rate we may as well bid £60m for Aubameyang - cut the middle man out, right? :funny:

:wow: This is the master plan, Robbie is going to take over the club with the profits from AFTV and install Toopz and DT in the boardroom and make Claude the Tea Lady!

I believe that position is reserved for Ty, Claude has beleaguered kit man written all over him :hehe:

ATV is going to be, what is the kids say…'lit' :funny:

Last edited:
Since 08, Barca has won one of the three major titles on offer to them each season except one. Pulling off the treble twice, the European double once, and the domestic double once. Only trophy less season was 2013/2014.

Last edited:
Honestly I don't think he's really hit a bad patch, come to think of it.

The only accusation that can be leveled at him is that Barcelona's trophy haul hit a brick wall (by their modern standards) during the Vilanova/Martino years, but mostly his personal contribution has been outstanding since he was about 21/22.

If he continues at the top of his game till the end of his career he may go up a couple of notches on the all time list for me.

Since 08, Barca has won one of the three major titles on offer to them each season except one. Pulling off the treble twice, the European double once, and the domestic double once. Only trophy less season was 2013/2014.

That’s pretty crazy success over a decade. And before this crazy run they’d won the European Cup only once in their history!

If he continues at the top of his game till the end of his career he may go up a couple of notches on the all time list for me.
What's your all time list Iceman? Like your top 10? :woot:

That’s pretty crazy success over a decade. And before this crazy run they’d won the European Cup only once in their history!
Well, twice. 05/06 was their second. :woot:

They are going to win the league this season. Will be Messi's 9th, his 7th as the main man.

Well, twice. 05/06 was their second. :woot:

They are going to win the league this season. Will be Messi's 9th, his 7th as the main man.

Ah I couldn’t remember the exact year they finally got their 2nd. We’re they already really good by then, between 05 and 08? And how does anyone win 9 league titles in a league with Madrid and Ronaldo in it?! :cool:

Ah I couldn’t remember the exact year they finally got their 2nd. We’re they already really good by then, between 05 and 08? And how does anyone win 9 league titles in a league with Madrid and Ronaldo in it?! :cool:
Those were the Dinho years. Started great, with those two league titles and CL. Was pretty crap the last two years. And then the Messi/Pep era began.

Those were the Dinho years. Started great, with those two league titles and CL. Was pretty crap the last two years. And then the Messi/Pep era began.

Oh gotya. I’m trying to remember what Barca were like before that, particularly in Europe.

Oh I'd have no issue with him as United manager, I don't like Mourinho and his BS either lol. I've said it before, bar Pochettino I find most of the managers at the top clubs insufferable.

Oh I remember you saying. I think this calls for a bra and panties Money in the Bank cage match between the PL’s top managers.

It looks like that's the way it's heading. I think in hindsight Ronaldo and Messi will end up going down as two of the best, eclipsing a few old school legends just because of how long they've maintained their levels. Both have been consistently better than the rest of the field for a decade now, it's the kind of consistency we almost never see.

Messi is ultimately better than Ronaldo because he can still influence a game even if you take his ability to score away. Ronaldo might have been cracking goal records lately but he's become a dull and one-dimensional player that needs the whole front line to sacrifice themselves to get his name on the scoresheet.

[YT]J_tIGAVMcqU[/YT]

If anyone enjoys arrogant journalists being put in their place this is for you :up:

I despise how disrespectful journos get away with being, especially to the league's top managers. They've asked Klopp/Guardiola/Pochettino the kinds of questions they wouldn't dare ask the likes of Pardew/Allardyce/Pulis.

Ozil is busy sending Sanchez emergency texts, trying to get Mourinho's number out of him.

Were there any rumours about Ozil at all? Are Arsenal going to let him leave for free?

[YT]J_tIGAVMcqU[/YT]

If anyone enjoys arrogant journalists being put in their place this is for you :up:

I despise how disrespectful journos get away with being, especially to the league's top managers. They've asked Klopp/Guardiola/Pochettino the kinds of questions they wouldn't dare ask the likes of Pardew/Allardyce/Pulis.
:funny: That was well done.

Good Lord it's a bloodbath at the bottom of the table - 2 points splitting 14th to 19th place.

Just 1 point between 15th and 19th and zero points between 15th and 18th! Everton in 9th are only 5 points off relegation! :woot:

DarthSkywalker said:
People seem to forget how bad Barca was the season before he took over, that he completely changed their style and had to this while changing their style.

Hunter Rider said:
No he didn't, Barca have played the exact same way since Cruyff managed them, and he had Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Henry and Eto'o, that's hardly scraping the barrell. Rijkaard's time had come to an end that is all, Guardiola had loads to work with, he's never done what the other top coaches have done and just had to make do with what was there and still win a league, look at last year when he didn't have everything he needs, they sucked, now he's bought his way to having his exact demands in place and they are playing well.

Just to chip in further to this point, Hunter's 100% right. Guardiola didn't change Barcelona's style at all & I feel his frustration when people say he did. Their playstyle is ingrained into the club from a youth level right up to the first team & they have played an extremely similar game for as long as I can remember. In fact if I recall when I went to the Nou Camp & did the tour, some of the literature talks about the clubs various teams youth graduates that are trained the 'Barcelona' way.

It's one of the reasons Barcelona can afford to make relatively low key managerial appointments as they don't generally don't need anybody to come in & make wholesale changes as the groundwork is firmly in place. Even their transfers I believe are club controlled, look at the state of some of the players signed during Guardiola's reign.. fair enough they did get Pique & Alves, but they had more stinkers than gems. Not to mention they paid what was, at the time, massive money for Ibrahimovic & it seemed like Guardiola didn't want him. The biggest thing that changed when Guardiola took over Barcelona first team was Lionel Messi developed an end product & the clubs golden generation was entering their prime, Xavi, Iniesta & Puyol.

Guardiola's never been at a club he's had to turn around or change their fortunes, nor has he ever been at a club in which winning/doing well in the league, cup or European trophy could be argued as being an overachievement of which most top managers in the game have to have faced at some point in their career.

[YT]J_tIGAVMcqU[/YT]

I do enjoy when journalists/pundits get put in their place by a manager, player or someone connected to the club for asking dumbass questions. I remember Ferguson berated several of them at a United press conference after he'd banned several of them for writing lies/twisting his words upon them 'serving their ban' & being allowed back in. :funny:

Barca's current blue print was instilled by Johan Cruyff in the early 90's with the Dream Team and the establishment of the Barca academy as we currently know it. And his philosophy was instilled in him by Rinus Michels and Total Football of the 70's Dutch and Ajax teams.

Just to chip in further to this point, Hunter's 100% right. Guardiola didn't change Barcelona's style at all & I feel his frustration when people say he did. Their playstyle is ingrained into the club from a youth level right up to the first team & they have played an extremely similar game for as long as I can remember. In fact if I recall when I went to the Nou Camp & did the tour, some of the literature talks about the clubs various teams youth graduates that are trained the 'Barcelona' way.

It's one of the reasons Barcelona can afford to make relatively low key managerial appointments as they don't generally don't need anybody to come in & make wholesale changes as the groundwork is firmly in place. Even their transfers I believe are club controlled, look at the state of some of the players signed during Guardiola's reign.. fair enough they did get Pique & Alves, but they had more stinkers than gems. Not to mention they paid what was, at the time, massive money for Ibrahimovic & it seemed like Guardiola didn't want him. The biggest thing that changed when Guardiola took over Barcelona first team was Lionel Messi developed an end product & the clubs golden generation was entering their prime, Xavi, Iniesta & Puyol.

Guardiola's never been at a club he's had to turn around or change their fortunes, nor has he ever been at a club in which winning/doing well in the league, cup or European trophy could be argued as being an overachievement of which most top managers in the game have to have faced at some point in their career.
So those that covered the team and the players themselves are all wrong?

They did not play like the Dutch of the 70s or any Barca before. The revolution was indeed televised. And not Barca or any other team flew like that. And this is why he can make it happen at other places. He took what he learned and evolved it.

[YT]J_tIGAVMcqU[/YT]

That's cos Pardew/Allardyce or Pulis would get up and chin them, there and then.

Manchester City want to sign Mahrez? I hope from nearly 1 billion Pep will win one CL. What a genius :D But just Real Madrid ensure all this.

Were there any rumours about Ozil at all? Are Arsenal going to let him leave for free?

There were rumors about Ozil, yeah, but nothing concrete has popped up. Word seems to be his wage demands are quite high so it means the list of clubs that can afford him is quite small and they’re all pretty much stacked when it comes to attacking players already.

I doubt he moves in Jan but he’ll be gone in the summer almost certainly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"