The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 54

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you play the game for then Hunter? Serious question. If the idea is to not win the match the club is presented with, what is the point?
I'm not playing though, I'm watching, and I've enjoyed some games we've lost more than a lot of the ones we won under Mourinho, if football is purely about results then might as well just follow the scores on your phone..

Because neither of them are as good at creating or finishing as Martial, and that is the main job of a winger, not to act as a secondary fullback spending more time in your own half than the oppositions because the manager is a coward.

And I don't get this idea, as when given what he wants, the only time Jose plays "bad" football, is when he has to. His Chelsea the first time around and his Madrid played really good football. His Inter played good football, when not playing obviously superior teams. It allows his flair players to be flair players, and not asked to do other things. Asking him to make it work, is stupid and is just spinning the wheels for no reason.
I can't agree with almost any of this, I hated his Chelsea sides and his Inter side is one of the most tedious to watch I've ever seen, Sneijder was the only shining point of it, he even had Eto'o working as a grafting winger, just awful. As far as the Real Madrid side goes, I know they scored a record amount of goals, but I also didn't find them great to watch, they were so counter based that it didn't appeal to me, so no, as a fan of 30+ years I don't ever want to see his vision of football at the club, I'm hoping this impasse between who he is and the clubs tradition simply leads to him throwing his toys out of the pram and sacked by Christmas, because not only is his football the drizzling ****s, but his toxic, miserable personality is effecting our young talents, he's not suited to the club at all.

Yes. Simply winning itself now has huge value, but directly because football has been entertaining global audiences the most over decades. Just winning doesn’t count for much in unpopular sports as you don’t get much recognition and isn’t that much different than beating your sister at monopoly.
Lol, that's fun analogy. You can see it reading any article about the PL, we used to be hated because we won all of the time but respected for how we played, now we are pretty much seen as the pathetic ugly stepsister of the top 6 with the most unlikable man in football at the helm, which is only slightly better than being Arsenal who are just pittied at this point.

Hunter brings up some good points I feel myself agreeing strongly with and that's the whole dilemma whether it's better to play the most boring football ever played and win by the odd goal, or try to play fast attacking football even if that means getting a draw.

When it's Manchester United you expect something more than a team that plays like Newcastle or Burnley. (No offense to either teams) When you see the money we spend which frankly is on the same level or higher to what Liverpool, City and the other BIG clubs in Europe spend - you want something more than just defending with 6 people - passing the ball sideways in the midfield and MAYBE getting a lucky counter attack goal cause someone slipped in the other team. I don't think it's wrong to wish for a team that wants to attack and move forward, if defending is what it's all about and boring the other team then we might as well just check the result afterwards on livescore.

I’ve got to say, I’ve been extremely disappointed with United’s summer transfers (or lack of) thus far.

Hopefully we can nab Bale at the deadline but I honestly don’t think it’s happening.

I’ve got to say, I’ve been extremely disappointed with United’s summer transfers (or lack of) thus far.

Hopefully we can nab Bale at the deadline but I honestly don’t think it’s happening.

Bale won't go anywhere, especially now Ronaldo has gone.

I think this might have been the year he’d bitten the bullet after those 2 CL final goals, if Ronaldo had committed his future to Real.

Hunter brings up some good points I feel myself agreeing strongly with and that's the whole dilemma whether it's better to play the most boring football ever played and win by the odd goal, or try to play fast attacking football even if that means getting a draw.

When it's Manchester United you expect something more than a team that plays like Newcastle or Burnley. (No offense to either teams) When you see the money we spend which frankly is on the same level or higher to what Liverpool, City and the other BIG clubs in Europe spend - you want something more than just defending with 6 people - passing the ball sideways in the midfield and MAYBE getting a lucky counter attack goal cause someone slipped in the other team. I don't think it's wrong to wish for a team that wants to attack and move forward, if defending is what it's all about and boring the other team then we might as well just check the result afterwards on livescore.

I'm not playing though, I'm watching, and I've enjoyed some games we've lost more than a lot of the ones we won under Mourinho, if football is purely about results then might as well just follow the scores on your phone..

Because neither of them are as good at creating or finishing as Martial, and that is the main job of a winger, not to act as a secondary fullback spending more time in your own half than the oppositions because the manager is a coward.

I can't agree with almost any of this, I hated his Chelsea sides and his Inter side is one of the most tedious to watch I've ever seen, Sneijder was the only shining point of it, he even had Eto'o working as a grafting winger, just awful. As far as the Real Madrid side goes, I know they scored a record amount of goals, but I also didn't find them great to watch, they were so counter based that it didn't appeal to me, so no, as a fan of 30+ years I don't ever want to see his vision of football at the club, I'm hoping this impasse between who he is and the clubs tradition simply leads to him throwing his toys out of the pram and sacked by Christmas, because not only is his football the drizzling ****s, but his toxic, miserable personality is effecting our young talents, he's not suited to the club at all.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Being a Swansea fan, I have been spoiled in recent years by the brand of passing, flowing football we had become recognised for. This style of play began in League One & continued in our rise through the divisions into the Premiership.

Throughout out time in the top tier, we tried to evolve our style, to cope with increasing transfer costs of rivals. Our style became more pragmatic and prioritised results over style, the need to be solid, if unspectacular to pick up points.

This, as you probably all know, escalated to the point of relegation, where we had no distinct pattern of play, no system and ended with players out of position, filling round holes with square pegs.

Granted, it probably wouldn't happen to one of the big teams, due to the resources available, but to any mid table teams or below, the consequences of substituting style in search of points are evident.

Our football became so stale, that I was eventually relieved that we got relegated, as it was becoming painful to watch and many of our fans were in danger of falling out of love with the club and the game in general.

Talks with Allison & his agent with Liverpool are said to be in an 'advanced' state in a press release by Roma.

I thought last summer was ridiculous in terms of transfer fees & it shows no signs of slowing down.

Roma have been accused of lack of ambition by selling Alisson but how do they turn down £67m for a keeper?

Even worse, Leicester have agreed to sign Danny Ward from Liverpool for a reported £12m. Off the back of a single season in the Championship & to go as back up keeper to Schmeichel.

World's gone mad(der). :loco:

I thought last summer was ridiculous in terms of transfer fees & it shows no signs of slowing down.

Roma have been accused of lack of ambition by selling Alisson but how do they turn down £67m for a keeper?

Even worse, Leicester have agreed to sign Danny Ward from Liverpool for a reported £12m. Off the back of a single season in the Championship & to go as back up keeper to Schmeichel.

World's gone mad(der). :loco:

I'm not sure how that constitutes giving Ward a 'chance' according to Klopp a few days ago. Buying Allison and selling him :funny:

Last edited:
Talks with Allison & his agent with Liverpool are said to be in an 'advanced' state in a press release by Roma.

All looking good so far. All parties seem to be keen now. I guess just subject to medical as that is what seemed to stuff up the Fekir deal.

Lol, that's fun analogy. You can see it reading any article about the PL, we used to be hated because we won all of the time but respected for how we played, now we are pretty much seen as the pathetic ugly stepsister of the top 6 with the most unlikable man in football at the helm, which is only slightly better than being Arsenal who are just pittied at this point.
I totally used to hate how Utd used to be 1-0 down for most of a match and then win the match near the end so often. Was easy to hate but yes, you definitely had my respect all those years and were always good to watch. Apart from your main rivals I think many neutrals thought the same underneath.

I think as of now the neutral's favourites in the title race will be Liverpool, Spurs and then the rest. Utd should be ahead of City and Chelsea with the way each of the clubs built themselves up but due to the entertainment factor dropping Utd are down with the deplorables. ;)

Why you little :cmad:.....:funny:

We've played a lot of dire football in the Ashley years to be fair. :yay:

Maybe this is an America thing, but I think something that should be pointed out is Newcastle was trying to win then. That is the thing. Even for teams that never win anything, trying feels good. 4-3 sounds nice, but if you play that same football and it ends up 7-3, does that feel the same? Like look at Leicester City. Do we think we can compare just playing good football, to win they won the title? When ever Roma broke through, or Atletico, what mattered was they did it. Atletico plays "bad" football. Do you think their fans rather play good football, instead of contending?

There is a lovable loser quality to the vast majority of football clubs. But there is also a reason the biggest clubs across Europe are the biggest clubs across Europe. Why City and Chelsea suddenly have a lot more fans then they use to. Why PSG will end up a globe powerhouse.
I thought I did point exactly that out. :woot:

Every team has something to aim for by fighting in every individual game. But their overall aim isn't necessarily about winning titles. Clubs like Wolves, Sheffield Wednesday, Nottingham Forest, Derby, Aston villa and Leeds are huge clubs but winning titles isn't on their horizon for now. There is plenty of pleasure to be had on the way to getting there, and even if they don't get there. Getting promoted to the PL, even by the playoff method can create great memories. And then staying in the PL or getting to top 10 or top 7 or 8 can still be a big deal to those clubs.

And of course smaller clubs would be satisfied by much smaller things. A regional club would have memories for life just by drawing a PL team in the FA Cup draw for eg.

You've mentioned before about the difference in how Americans view their sports and I think you're on to something there. Those sports, like football, have built up a huge following and importance through prior entertainment, that now just winning itself is enough and maybe the norm for the American fan (I wouldn't know).

As for the 4-3 / 7-3 issue. If my team was losing 4-3 I could cope with losing 7-3 if it was because they were throwing everything at the other team in an effort to win. In certain situations this would be too dumb, like in a 2 legged European tie where goal difference is crucial. In the league near the end of the season it might also not be the best plan. But if you do that all season and salvage only 1 point from 20 efforts, that is worth more than any amount of goal difference in the league table.

Also how much has Utd's support dropped off due to not winning titles recently? Same for Liverpool. They both created hordes of lifelong fans during the entertaining years.

City is playing amazing football so we can't conclude their growth is just down to titles. Even Mourinho's first season in particular had quite a lot of 4-0s with guys like Robben wrecking shop. I think the only time most people don't mind playing **** football is when you're playing someone much better than you.

Utd are one of the few clubs where not winning a title is disaster and can reasonably be expected, although the competition is much tougher now and if all the clubs in the top 6 want PL titles, the maths doesn't quite add up.

Anyway overall I don't think I disagree with you that much on this. It just seems more American fans align with your 'results-only and above all' preference (which I can understand), and I was just trying to show how there are many fans of smaller clubs out there (in the UK at least) who can gain plenty of happiness following their club without ever thinking of titles. I would absolutely love to nail down 7th place in the PL every season and be in the Europa League every year with 2 good domestic Cup runs (at least quarters, preferably semis) every year. That combined with the style and never-say-die continuous attack and energy of the past would be more than enough for me to go crazy every time we play.

Mourinho spoke to reporters (via Manchester Evening News) and simply said: “It’s important to work with Mata, Martial and Alexis as they will be the players we think that will start our season in attack.”

So Lukaku and Lingard will be rested. Really wish Martial do well to claim his spot.

Oh and with this statement, I assume we will play another season without a genuine RW.

Mourinho spoke to reporters (via Manchester Evening News) and simply said: “It’s important to work with Mata, Martial and Alexis as they will be the players we think that will start our season in attack.”

So Lukaku and Lingard will be rested. Really wish Martial do well to claim his spot.

Oh and with this statement, I assume we will play another season without a genuine RW.

I'm glad he said "work with" as that's exactly what he needs to do with much of the talent sitting in the squad being underutilised. Yes I am really rooting for Martial to hold down a regular first team spot, find his best and make a big contribution this season. I'm a bit surprised that Mata has lasted so long under Mourinho but again hopefully he can find his best too. Sanchez was terrible last season so you would hope the only way is up. If he found his Arsenal form then things would be very different just from that.

I'm glad he said "work with" as that's exactly what he needs to do with much of the talent sitting in the squad being underutilised. Yes I am really rooting for Martial to hold down a regular first team spot, find his best and make a big contribution this season. I'm a bit surprised that Mata has lasted so long under Mourinho but again hopefully he can find his best too. Sanchez was terrible last season so you would hope the only way is up. If he found his Arsenal form then things would be very different just from that.

I really wish we can go with Martial - Lukaku - Sanchez.

Sanchez played most of his career at Udinese and Barca as a right winger so I'd like to see Mou try him there since it would allow Martial to play on the left.It solves our RW problem without wasting young talents like Martial and Rashford on the bench.

I really wish we can go with Martial - Lukaku - Sanchez.

Sanchez played most of his career at Udinese and Barca as a right winger so I'd like to see Mou try him there since it would allow Martial to play on the left.It solves our RW problem without wasting young talents like Martial and Rashford on the bench.

Sounds good to me. What do you think he will go with instead then?

With that 3 you'd have Rashford coming off the bench I guess?

That's just my dream. The fact is that Mou doesnt see Sanchez as a RW at all. Martial was on God Mode in January but he bought Sanchez. I thought it was his solution for our right winger problem but turned out it wasn't as Sanchez only played about 75 minutes on the right last season.
Mou seems to prefer Sanchez playing as a 10 or LW. With Fred in the team I think the only chance for Martial is to start up front with Lukaku with Sanchez playing behind both of them.

About Rashford, I'm losing patience with him and I'm sure Mou is thinking the same. He was a dantastic striker with world class potential under Van Gaal. Great movement, great vision fantastic link up play and finishing. Now he just seems to lose all the quality of a striker he used to possessed. Never rate him as a LW.

Of course we can put the blame on Mourinho for constantly playing him on the left, so much that he seems to forget how to play as a forward these days.

That's just my dream. The fact is that Mou doesnt see Sanchez as a RW at all. Martial was on God Mode in January but he bought Sanchez. I thought it was his solution for our right winger problem but turned out it wasn't as Sanchez only played about 75 minutes on the right last season.
Mou seems to prefer Sanchez playing as a 10 or LW. With Fred in the team I think the only chance for Martial is to start up front with Lukaku with Sanchez playing behind both of them.

About Rashford, I'm losing patience with him and I'm sure Mou is thinking the same. He was a dantastic striker with world class potential under Van Gaal. Great movement, great vision fantastic link up play and finishing. Now he just seems to lose all the quality of a striker he used to possessed. Never rate him as a LW.

Of course we can put the blame on Mourinho for constantly playing him on the left, so much that he seems to forget how to play as a forward these days.

Yeah, that seems like a wasted experiment with Rashford on the left. Hopefully we see him used centrally and unlock all that potential.

Annoying when top players like Sanchez aren't used in the way that they had their success.

BBC looks at the PL teams at who they've bought so far and what is still needed....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44848775

I didn't realise that the PL title changed hands every year in the last decade:

Manchester City aim to become the first club in a decade to make a successful defence of the Premier League title.

And this is interesting from Sarri (apparently wants to be strictly a coach only):

New Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri says the transfer market doesn't really interest him and other people at the club will decide who comes in and goes out

The Newcastle situation of pretty much bugger all is disappointing to hear about though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"