The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 52

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Neymar for sure sacrificed some of his potential & his legacy by moving to PSG at this stage of his career (25/26 years old). Whatever way you look at it, it's a step down. PSG aren't on Barcelona's level either in ability or prestige, Ligue 1 isn't up there as a top European league, you've got 4 or 5 others that would be ahead of it.

The only way he'll be able to prove that wrong, is if he can not only win 1 or 2 CL's with PSG, but also be the star player that drags them there.

At that age you'd expect him to be coming right into his peak years. Seems a shame to me as he was in line to directly take over from Messi as Barca's big player and also the mantle of world's leading player from being world's most promising young player.

At that age you'd expect him to be coming right into his peak years. Seems a shame to me as he was in line to directly take over from Messi as Barca's big player and also the mantle of world's leading player from being world's most promising young player.

I don't think he liked the fact that he was 2nd best in a team or not treated as well as Messi, I think that's his main problem.

I don't think he liked the fact that he was 2nd best in a team or not treated as well as Messi, I think that's his main problem.

His ego then has got in the way of his path to the top, which was going quite smoothly till that point. At least he will pick up a load of Ligue 1 titles!

Still think it’s bs that in the semis and if they make it final Spurs is basically playing with a home game advantage

I thought it has been stated that the final can't be played at Wembley if Spurs make the final as one team can't have 'Home' advantage?

The venue final has to be neutral, hence the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff hasting it while Wembley was re-built.

Can see it being Chelsea's cup to lose at this point.

Shame Spurs Utd isn't the final.

Chelsea I fancy to get to the final but I don't know if I see them as any more than 50/50 to win the final. By the time of that game Spurs and Utd should be free of other commitments (both already out of the CL too).

Neymar sacrificed some of his potential with that unnecessary PSG move. He was the obvious heir to world player of the year if he kept going as he was but took a wrong choice IMO.

Yeah, I think that's definitely the case. He seems like quite an immature guy, and at Barcelona with the likes of Messi and Suarez (and Barcelona's style of play) he could've become more of a team player and developed his approach to the game. Now, though, his ego is in control and he's busy dribbling like three midfielders in the center D because…reasons. He also loves breaking an attacking rhythm so he can dribble the full back like seven times, also often with little end product.

He hasn't really improved as a player since the 14/15 season, he's still got the same flaws he did before and I doubt PSG is the environment where he's going to grow. He's the king of the hill at PSG and all the plebs bow to his every whim so there's no reason for him to push himself or change.

Once you get that defence sorted you can go places. Going forward you're got a lot to offer now even outside of Salah. Hopefully you strengthen in summer and can challenge next season.

Thanks. I sure hope so. Though, I'm fine with continued CL involvement for some years to come. We need to return to that. :sly:

I feel Lewandowski is incredibly underrated as a player. Maybe it's because he's from a pretty average country (Poland). Zlatan literally had to carry Sweden in recent years. Or maybe it's because he hasn't played in the PL or for 1 of the 2 Spanish giants.

Thanks. I sure hope so. Though, I'm fine with continued CL involvement for some years to come. We need to return to that. :sly:

Yeah, get your foundations for the future sorted now. Qualifying for the top 4 from the PL is not going to be an easy thing to do season after season with how competitive it has gotten.

I didn't quite follow that. Did you mean his world cup place is in doubt or that he will do enough just at World Cups to prove himself as the best?

He is no doubt one of the best international performers out there. Club level seems to be more important these days though with elite level CL available every year. Messi and Ronaldo have obviously proven themselves a lot more at club level.

I don't see PSG matching Barca in Europe over the rest of Neymar's career. And because of the nature of the club the perception is going to be that he moved for money even if he didn't. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if there are more dramas to follow at PSG.
Being at Barca he couldn't get out from under Messi. He'd always be the other guy, until Messi was past it and then the lesser success would be put on Neymar. He basically moved to PSG to move to Madrid, where Ronaldo is all but on his way out. For Neymar's profile, being at Madrid is what he sees as fitting.

As to his place, his legacy is tied to the World Cup as a Brazilian. Something Messi and Ronaldo both don't have.

Yeah, I think that's definitely the case. He seems like quite an immature guy, and at Barcelona with the likes of Messi and Suarez (and Barcelona's style of play) he could've become more of a team player and developed his approach to the game. Now, though, his ego is in control and he's busy dribbling like three midfielders in the center D because…reasons. He also loves breaking an attacking rhythm so he can dribble the full back like seven times, also often with little end product.

He hasn't really improved as a player since the 14/15 season, he's still got the same flaws he did before and I doubt PSG is the environment where he's going to grow. He's the king of the hill at PSG and all the plebs bow to his every whim so there's no reason for him to push himself or change.

I thought he had matured a bit shortly after he arrived at Barca (having thought of him as an ego guy earlier) so it's quite a shame that he is now regressing back to that. Ronaldo matured fully after his challenging times and didn't look back. These next few years till 30 should have been the peak of his career but it looks like he will be playing in 4-0 victories for PSG in Ligue 1 while not getting the regular CL trophies he should be aiming for. Will be interesting if PSG can somehow sneak more huge buys past FFP rules with MBappe's fee about to kick in shortly after that huge expenditure on Neymar.

Being at Barca he couldn't get out from under Messi. He'd always be the other guy, until Messi was past it and then the lesser success would be put on Neymar. He basically moved to PSG to move to Madrid, where Ronaldo is all but on his way out. For Neymar's profile, being at Madrid is what he sees as fitting.

As to his place, his legacy is tied to the World Cup as a Brazilian. Something Messi and Ronaldo both don't have.

Oh right. He just wants PSG as a stepping stone to Madrid (rather than moving directly and getting a pig’s head thrown at him). :woot:

If that’s what it takes then maybe that’s what he needed to do. I wonder how much Real would be willing to pay for him and whether PSG would allow it, especially if it was for a (significant) loss. If a player’s good enough I don’t think they should worry about who came before or who is on their way out. Messi came into a team that had seen the genius of Ronaldinho for eg.

Oh right. He just wants PSG as a stepping stone to Madrid (rather than moving directly and getting a pig’s head thrown at him). :woot:

If that’s what it takes then maybe that’s what he needed to do. I wonder how much Real would be willing to pay for him and whether PSG would allow it, especially if it was for a (significant) loss. If a player’s good enough I don’t think they should worry about who came before or who is on their way out. Messi came into a team that had seen the genius of Ronaldinho for eg.
Yeah. Basically PSG is a really well payed pitstop. :hehe:

Neymar has a very entitled personality. Which is understandable considering how he has been treated since he was little.

Madrid is the only sensible location for him now, and it makes perfect sense from their perspective, too. They haven't really splashed out on a galactico since James Rodriguez, and that was forever ago in the footballing world.

With Ronaldo moving on in the summer they've got to find a successor to the throne, and it's unlikely to be someone in their current squad like Asensio or Bale. The only real options on the table are either to buy Hazard from Chelsea, but the real blockbuster will be Neymar. They get one over on their biggest rivals by buying an ex-player of Barcelona's, while also getting the best natural talent outside of the big two who's in his prime years.

Ronaldo's confirmed as leaving Real Madrid in the summer? First I've heard of it bar the usual tabloid garbage that's been saying he's wanted to leave every summer since he joined them.. yet here we are near 10 years later.

The only way Neymar is going anywhere is if PSG are facing heavy & severe FFP sanctions (which they won't because UEFA) if they can't balance their books & are pretty much forced to sell. He has a contract until 2022 & even if he declares he's unhappy & wants to leave, there are very few clubs with £200m lying around that they can offset on 1 player.. unless of course PSG want to take a heavy lose on their investment.

Yeah. Basically PSG is a really well payed pitstop. :hehe:

Neymar has a very entitled personality. Which is understandable considering how he has been treated since he was little.

Haha. How long can they keep throwing money away lol.

It's a shame as I really thought he had matured and was becoming a very good team player not too long after joining Barca.

Haha. How long can they keep throwing money away lol.

It's a shame as I really thought he had matured and was becoming a very good team player not too long after joining Barca.
PSG? Forever really.

He will never really mature with his father around. As soon as there is any issue, his dad just starts talking about how he is unhappy and starts coming up with a move to make a crap ton more money.

Neymar chased the money and reaping the benefits. Shame a solid guy like Cavani has had to endure his behavior all season.

Him and PSG fit together perfectly - both pretenders to the throne. Neymar probably thought he was leaving Messi's shadow so he could show he's of Messi/Ronaldo's caliber somewhere else and he's turning out not to have dropped his bad habits and he isn't developing.

Judging by the performance PSG showed against Madrid in the CL they're nowhere near having the mentality necessary to win a European title.

PSG? Forever really.

He will never really mature with his father around. As soon as there is any issue, his dad just starts talking about how he is unhappy and starts coming up with a move to make a crap ton more money.

So only FFP if applied in any way could stop them I guess.

Yeah I remember reading about the situation with his dad. Not a healthy situation at all for his own progress.

Btw just heard some rumours about Utd for Neymar. :woot:

Ibra’s time at United comes to a close with him moving to LA Galaxy.

Ibra’s time at United comes to a close with him moving to LA Galaxy.

Surprised it didnt come after his injury but it was always going to be a short term fix, he did pretty well all things considered and helped us to a trophy and to get back in the CL so his time can be considered decent. Be interesting to see if we make any moves to replace him in the summer and who but then its not like he was playing now anyway.

Good luck to him in LA, it was fun while it lasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"