The Punisher The Punisher - General Discussion Thread

Disney is starting their own premium streaming service. And I guess the Marvel/Netflix deal has run its course for Netflix.
I knew about the Disney streaming service, but Netflix (and Disney) but of been making profit from these shows; they've a solid cast that they're not likely going to best anytime soon, so to cancel them simply because of a streaming service seems a little stupid.

I can't remember who it was now, but one of the cast members said in an interview that it was a Netflix decision, and whilst I remain sceptical about what may have gone on behind closed doors, I don't see the logic in Netflix cancelling successful shows.

Their contract can't have simply run it's course; the shows were cancelled, not renegotiated or whatever. Netflix simply (seems to have) pulled the plug on them.

I knew about the Disney streaming service, but Netflix (and Disney) but of been making profit from these shows; they've a solid cast that they're not likely going to best anytime soon, so to cancel them simply because of a streaming service seems a little stupid.

I can't remember who it was now, but one of the cast members said in an interview that it was a Netflix decision, and whilst I remain sceptical about what may have gone on behind closed doors, I don't see the logic in Netflix cancelling successful shows.

Their contract can't have simply run it's course; the shows were cancelled, not renegotiated or whatever. Netflix simply (seems to have) pulled the plug on them.

Netflix just seems to be shifting away from licensed content and going for original content. These shows are reportedly expensive for Netflix, and they pay Marvel a licensing fee. Many reports indicate Netflix attempted to negotiate for a lower episode count on further seasons but Disney wouldn't allow it (current agreement gives Netflix the right to renew, but at the 13 episode rate...lower episodes requires a new contract).

Hadn't really bothered to check what the consensus score, but 50 percent surprised me, especially how head and shoulders Season 1 was above some of the other shows. Plus it's below where Iron Fist Season 2 ranked.

Marvel's The Punisher: Season 2 - Rotten Tomatoes
It's probably due to many people not bothering since they know it's going to get dumped. I have, on occasion, quit a show before finishing it if I've found out it's been cancelled, or I'll have a show to watch, that I wont watch if I know it didn't get it's second season.

Shows are a little different these days (or at least can be) but if there's one thing I despise about shows it's cliff-hanger endings, and so I wouldn't willingly sit through a show to be met with an open end when I know there'd be no follow-up.

Just started Episode 11. I've really enjoyed the action scenes this season. I love Jon Bernthal as The Punisher. He knows how to humanize Frank, but also make him as brutal as the comic book version. He also wears the skull alot more than season 1.

I have to say I'm disappointed in Jigsaw and Pilgrim as villains. I'm really not enjoying the whole subplot with Krista. It was interesting at first but it goes on way too long. So much time wasted on psychology nonsense. I don't even know why she's even in this to be honest. Madani is also wasted this season. She really doesn't do anything and she's supposed to be an Agent for Homeland Security.
I zoned out on Pilgrim. Such a waste of a character.

I wish this season was maybe 8 episodes. It seemed like they went out of their minds trying to stretch it to 13 episodes. And it didn't work.

I think The Punisher as a TV series works much better in mini arcs. DDS2s 4 episode arc was perfect. The first 4 episodes of Punisher Season 2 were amazing. Could've condensed the other plots into a 4 epsiode mini arc and it wouldve been much tighter.

With that said I enjoyed Season 2 much more than Season 1 but I loved both. Even though I am a huge Punisher fan i still rank Daredevil Season 1 and 3 ahead of The Punisher.

Articles like that are somehow becoming even less relevant. We've already established that we don't have the slightest clue what viewership numbers actually are. On top of that, we've now also established that Netflix's decision is seemingly independent of viewership numbers.

I am currently watching season 2, only 3 episodes to go. IT SUCKS. The first season was decent with some good episodes, this season so far is just boring.
It has all the by now cliche problems of a netflix production: since they dont have much budget, they spend entire episodes talking. Nothing happens.
But the season has several other flaws:

-As with season 1, Castle is too emotional and human, is always about to cry, wtf, why do they softened the character so much.
-The Punisher is practically a secondary character in his own show, too much focus in secondary characters that are not interesting at all, like Madani. Episode 8 if i am remembering right was 20 straight minutes of nothing, Madani speaking about her sexuality or some crap like that.
-Too much filler, episodes that are too long with nothing happening in them. This is a Punisher show, all that it needs is scum and Punisher killing them, that is all.
-Psychological analysis of why Frank does what he does. Pointless, he is not a complex and deep character, it is not needed, that is not why i watch the show.
-Villains suck, the religious guy is cliche as hell not no mention boring, and Jigsaw is not bad but the scars are laughably tame and unrealistic.
-TOO MUCH TALKING. If the budget is an issue, then make less episodes that last less tim, but have actual stuff happenning. What in a normal show would take one episode to tell here it takes like 4. The script is not bad but is so obviously just trying the disguise the fact that they dont have money for action scenes that is not even funny.

Maybe i am missing more mistakes but so far is a weak season.

Season two was good, but not great. Season one was far superior IMO and in hindsight, I'd have been happy with just one season. I don't need a third one.

Season one felt tight. It had a straightforward plot and everyone was working towards the one goal: revealing or suppressing what happened in Afghanistan with some good twists along the way. It also brought to the limelight the very real issue of PTSD and what soldiers go through after serving.

Season two was...good. It had fun action scenes, but after I think the fight scene in the gym, I couldn't take it anymore. Frank is tough, but he's also a human being. By all accounts, he should've been dead after that. Especially when fought John, I couldn't accept what I was seeing. Those blows were too much. The season too felt misdirected at times. We start with the Amy subplot, but then halfway through, the show puts that kind of the sideline by giving us less of Preacher and putting more emphasis on Russo and what he was going through. But killing him off seems like a wasted opportunity because, as I understand it, Jigsaw is to the Punisher what Venom is to Spider-Man. Ben Barnes was great though, I'll give him that. Part of the problem with season two for me was that it was season one all over again, but with more violence. There doesn't seem to be much depth to the character of Frank Castle in terms of what you can do with him.

I haven't finished season 2, but Ben Barnes is possibly the worst Marvel Netflix villain. Good god.

I haven't finished season 2, but Ben Barnes is possibly the worst Marvel Netflix villain. Good god.
It's not really down to Ben Barnes - who was very good in season 1 IMO. Just not ideal material.

Oh, I meant Billy Russo... Ben Barnes was given a really poor script to go on.

Oh, I meant Billy Russo... Ben Barnes was given a really poor script to go on.
Agreed. They could have done much more with him after season 1. It was a bad sign after they did such a poor job with his face scars.

Move this show to Hulu already. Yeah, season 2 was a step down from season 1 but after that ending I need season 3.

Move this show to Hulu already. Yeah, season 2 was a step down from season 1 but after that ending I need season 3.

Yea if this is really the last we see of Jon Bernthal's Punisher, that scene is like the worst kind of tease...But ill just cherish it and keep rewatching it all the same lol.

I finally started season 2... season 1 was a miss-step after his inclusion on Daredevil.

Frank “falling in love” 10 minutes in is really keeping me from wanting to continue this season.

I finally started season 2... season 1 was a miss-step after his inclusion on Daredevil.

Frank “falling in love” 10 minutes in is really keeping me from wanting to continue this season.

I felt that way too when I first started it, but the action kept me watching it.

‘The Punisher’ & ‘Jessica Jones’ Canceled By Netflix; Latter’s 3rd Season Still To Air

“Marvel’s The Punisher will not return for a third season on Netflix,” Netflix confirmed today to Deadline. “Showrunner Steve Lightfoot, the terrific crew, and exceptional cast including star Jon Bernthal, delivered an acclaimed and compelling series for fans, and we are proud to showcase their work on Netflix for years to come,” the streamer added.

“In addition, in reviewing our Marvel programming, we have decided that the upcoming third season will also be the final season for Marvel’s Jessica Jones,” Netflix also made official this President’s Day. “We are grateful to showrunner Melissa Rosenberg, star Krysten Ritter and the entire cast and crew, for three incredible seasons of this groundbreaking series, which was recognized by the Peabody Awards among many others”.

“We are grateful to Marvel for five years of our fruitful partnership and thank the passionate fans who have followed these series from the beginning.”

I don't think anyone is shocked by this. Now the waiting game begins to see if these shows can come to Hulu in the future. I hope they are brought back for more seasons on Hulu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"