• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Resident Evil Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interview with Matthew Mercer (voice actor of Leon S Kennedy)
[YT]ePOVWnUyGUU[/YT]​

They should of gone with Paul Mercier.

At least this guy does a good job with the character tho.

From what I've played, I can't complain about his voice. He did a good job in Damnation too.

The series has gotten more self serious since 4 anyway (for better or worse) so Mercier being replaced makes sense within that context.

Messed around with the demo again. Who managed to do the melee kill on the giant with Chris?

I didn't even notice the voice was different. As good as before.

Also, I played co-op with someone online last night. Chris' campaign is indeed more fun when playing with someone else (who isn't a moron). It was even easier, actually. But, playing with someone in Leon's campaing, which is scarier than the others, took out all of the frightening aspect, to me, which I somewhat felt when I did it alone. I felt way too safe.

If I'm not alone, like in RE4, that feeling is just gone, and I think it could be present in Leon's section if not for the partner.

Resident Evil 6 - TGS Official Trailer
[YT]ha--jltIFto[/YT]​

If I'm not alone, like in RE4, that feeling is just gone, and I think it could be present in Leon's section if not for the partner.

Eh, if something is scary, its scary. Doesnt matter if you have someone next to ya. I mentioned a while back that i was playing Dead Space 2 in a party chat and the game was still freaking me out. That one instance sold me on the DS3 co-op. I first played through Leons campaign by myself and didnt have any feeling of dread.

Altho maybe its the fact that there is a physical, in game, partner next to you? IDK. Maybe dead space 2 was still scary in a party chat because i was still alone in that game world?

I think there's a big difference between just talking to someone and having a partner in-game, that you can rely on to save your ass. In this Demo, whenever a Zombie got a hold of me, my friend was there within seconds to kick it off me.

I think there's a big difference between just talking to someone and having a partner in-game, that you can rely on to save your ass. In this Demo, whenever a Zombie got a hold of me, my friend was there within seconds to kick it off me.

You mean an AI partner?

OK whew...I was starting to think it was just me.

I think i'm done with the RE series...it's time to move on.

Eh, if something is scary, its scary. Doesnt matter if you have someone next to ya.
It matters a lot. My partner last night was more intelligent than the A.I of the game. It was a breeze to go through the campaign, compared to when I went solo. If I have someone next to me playing, talking to me, commenting the game or laughing at the spooks we may take, it's a whole another experience than if I play alone and quietly.

If there is a partner who helps me, have my back and notice what I possibly wouldn't, then it's just much safer than playing alone.
Altho maybe its the fact that there is a physical, in game, partner next to you? IDK. Maybe dead space 2 was still scary in a party chat because i was still alone in that game world?
Probably, yeah.

Last edited:
No, it matters very little if the material itself is done right. The first time i saw The Thing it was with a group of friends and we were clowning through the whole movie and it was still a terrifying film. John Carpenter made a scary movie. Period. It doesnt matter if i watched it by myself or with 200 other ppl, the film was scary. Having someone there talking with you doesnt mean anything. In fact, id argue it can heighten the tension and horror as the two of you start to play off one another.

Like i said, more than likely its the fact that there is a physical character along with you, but its absolutely not the addition of another person. Its why i think the co op in Dead Space 3 is the PERFECT way to do co-op. You arent shoehorned in to a specific experience. You'll have a co-op experience and then a non co-op expereince. Its deff how RE6 should of handled it.

Last edited:
It matters a lot. When something changes the experience, then it matters. Alone is always worst than having help, because you simply don't have back up.

By the way, watching a movie is different than playing a game. You don't have to survive in a movie.

You're forgetting something, Pat: Personal taste. Not everyone is you, and not everyone is going to react the same way in the same situations. It's cool that you can enjoy and be immersed in a horror film with a room full of people around you, I personally cannot. Similarly, playing a scary game in co-op would completely take any sense of tension or horror out of the equation.

By the way, watching a movie is different than playing a game. You don't have to survive in a movie.

Especially when that game gives you tons of ammo, John Woo style dodging, the ability to counter and suplex Zombies. Even without playing with a friend, Leon's section was hardly scary.

It matters a lot. When something changes the experience, then it matters. Alone is always worst than having help, because you simply don't have back up.

By the way, watching a movie is different than playing a game.

Of course its different, its two varied forms of media but the point remains. Scary is scary. RE5 and from what iv played of RE6 wouldnt of been scary even if there was no partner to back you up. Health and ammo are overly abundant in both games, theres no sense of dread. The added partner isnt needed when you yourself can blast through the game. The same happened with RE4 once you start stockpiling ammo and weapons. Every encounter became less and less threatening when you knew you could just open up your attaché case and pick the biggest gun you had. .

If RE5 and RE6 were actually scary games, they'd be that way, with or without a partner.

You're forgetting something, Pat: Personal taste. Not everyone is you, and not everyone is going to react the same way in the same situations. It's cool that you can enjoy and be immersed in a horror film with a room full of people around you, I personally cannot. Similarly, playing a scary game in co-op would completely take any sense of tension or horror out of the equation.

Im still sticking with the argument that RE5 and RE6 suck as horror titles regardless. Its not the added co-op that pushed them over the edge.

Of course its different, its two varied forms of media but the point remains. Scary is scary. RE5 and from what iv played of RE6 wouldnt of been scary even if there was no partner to back you up. Health and ammo are overly abundant in both games, theres no sense of dread. The added partner isnt needed when you yourself can blast through the game. The same happened with RE4 once you start stockpiling ammo and weapons. Every encounter became less and less threatening when you knew you could just open up your attaché case and pick the biggest gun you had. .

If RE5 and RE6 were actually scary games, they'd be that way, with or without a partner.
It's about being scarier, instead of just scary. Alone, you have to be more carefull, since you'll have to fend for yourself.
Simply put, with a partner, you're safer. Without it, the tension is bigger to pay attention to every corner, because when something gets you, there's no one to get it off of you.

Alone, you have to be more carefull, since you'll have to fend for yourself.
Simply put, with a partner, you're safer. Without it, the tension is bigger to pay attention to every corner, because when something gets you, there's no one to get it off of you.

Yea i completely agree, but i think that point is moot anyway considering in this game(and RE5) you just didnt need any help. You could judo kick and shotgun blast your way through the whole game. I say you throw co-op into the REmake and its still a damn scary ride. Its all that other stuff that make it so horrifying, not just the fact you are alone.

Last edited:
well apparently this is what Capcoms been up too besides other things

Aww… Resident Evil: Clan Master Is So Cute

September 25, 2012 . 2:08pmCapcom has Resident Evil Vs. for GREE and another cutesy Resident Evil social game for Mobage. Everyone’s Resident Evil: Clan Master is a real time team battle game.

source: Siliconera

as to what was said about Dead space 3 we'll have to see how that turns out and if it'll be good or not. I'm hoping former.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"