The Resident Evil Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Co op shouldn't be in RE IMO. They should keep the main series a solo affair and revitalize Outbreak as a co-op spinoff

Definitely. Keep the main series solo, and make co-op spin-offs for people that want to play with a partner.

Haha, easy money there as some of those games are quite old, the younger generation might not have played them at all. I'd definitely get them. One thing about survival horror, would you be cool them taking out co-op? I think co-op lends better to action while solo fits better with survival horror.

The way I think co-op should be done for the horror video game scene is like how you used to see some movies have your partner get seperated from you cause the monster is ether so over powering. or the place your in has some sort of trap if your not careful it'll have you seprated from your partner. and the only way to have better survival is to find your way to your partner which will take a while or to find better gear til you find your way to your partner. Til then your vunlerable to that creatures wims that will make for a great game safety in numbers. Alone your screwed scenario .

oh and it should be optional and only done with another player. I'm sorry the Ai isn't smart enough.

Last edited:
I understand the case for wanting RE4 to be a spin off, but I think "old school" fans either underplay or just don't get the fact that the formula was getting old for a lot of people. Things like fixed camera angles, for instance, may have been fresh and served a good purpose at the time, but they overstayed their welcome. As early as RE3, I think a lot o f people were beginning to wear on it, since none of the games seemed to ever try to address or update it. I will say REMake did these things really well, but I think even there, they was a degree of a dated feeling that lingered. RE really needed a fresh direction, and maybe RE4 went farther off from the original than needed (though I think it's often not given fair credit for things it did keep intact), but I think had it not happened, the series probably wouldn't have survived the jump to this ending gen. It probably would've been another IP that Capcom would've just dropped altogether.

Tronny I agree with you cause it was already said way back after it's launch with Tommy Tolerico saying that back then when he was a reviewer and he wasn't the only one that said it. this is prior to him creatin Video games live itsd at the latter end of this video
[YT]jr88WSVC9ks[/YT]

Published on 9 Dec 2013
Resident Evil 4 comes in at #11 in the ROTR Top 100 Games.

Also there were others voicing that sediment remember there were a few terminators games that fallowed that old game play Style/ model of the rez games prior to 4 and they were dumped and trashed on by both gamers and reviewers a alike .

People were indeed tired of that game play style . which is why I used the back to the future reference, too with Marty and the Arcade machine and kid's dumping on it. capcpme sreamin about wanta new fan base you give that potential fan base that and they will react the same way and those at cap will just have a reinforced view of misguided ness .

Last edited:
I understand the case for wanting RE4 to be a spin off, but I think "old school" fans either underplay or just don't get the fact that the formula was getting old for a lot of people. Things like fixed camera angles, for instance, may have been fresh and served a good purpose at the time, but they overstayed their welcome. As early as RE3, I think a lot o f people were beginning to wear on it, since none of the games seemed to ever try to address or update it. I will say REMake did these things really well, but I think even there, they was a degree of a dated feeling that lingered. RE really needed a fresh direction, and maybe RE4 went farther off from the original than needed (though I think it's often not given fair credit for things it did keep intact), but I think had it not happened, the series probably wouldn't have survived the jump to this ending gen. It probably would've been another IP that Capcom would've just dropped altogether.

I agree it wouldn't of survived as people don't want to play horror titles any more. At least not in the numbers that justify today's development costs. RE HAD to go action to survive.

I'm generally a big champion of co-op but I think in this case it's a factor that has contributed to the decline in X-factor that RE used to have. There's no real atmosphere any more as the action never stops for long enough for the story (& dread) to sink in. Things just aren't as scary when your mate is there to back you up. There can be co-op modes but the survival horror campaign should be solo.

As others have said I find appeal in both styles and either they separate it out within a game's chapters or make separate games catering to action and survival horror. Both games would need to see the gameplay improve to the level of other top games if RE wants to stay at the top table (actually it's probably already fallen off).

Fixed camera angles definitely had to go. The gameplay certainly needed/needs to evolve and improve. With RE5 (& even more so Raccoon City), if you want to be pretty much a shooter you need to have gameplay that can compete with top shooters.

I still think people want to be scared as that articale from game informer show cased with the scariest moments like bio shock infinite and the rest on it's list there, Which others are agreeing to on there. This is about Execution and keeping things contemporary.

I've been pointing that out with what both game Infomer and EPD.TV/ROTR said with Tommy saying so before he left Video games Live with video he did which is on this page via youtube and there was the fact that other's that copy the "old game play style" of the Res series of games before 4 happened were panned for doing so, Like the Terminator games that fallowed it to a T.

Maybe it has to happen one more time, for others to see it, That the new people capcom wants won't care(the old game play style) for it. kid's like being able to move and shoot having options where they can. But I'm also afraid of the results from capcom once it happens if they see the old game play style from the first series of games fails with the kids today that they so badly want.

Last edited:
Fixed camera angles definitely had to go. The gameplay certainly needed/needs to evolve and improve. With RE5 (& even more so Raccoon City), if you want to be pretty much a shooter you need to have gameplay that can compete with top shooters.

I'd still want Capcom to try and do its own thing. Even with the more action oriented games, I don't really want them to be able to compete with the top shooters. I want RE to have it's own flair. Instead of having dual wielding dude bros, I'd want them to make the weapon wielding as realistic as possible. And go back to the item limitations, and not have players run around with ridiculous amounts of weapons and ammunition.

I really want them to knuckle down and give the world another non-action oriented RE horror game. Next Gen graphics with the tone and atmosphere of REmake would be absolutely amazing. We need another legitimately scary game. Make the game feel like an ordeal, one you feel obligated to go through. RE2 scared the hell out of me when I first played it all those years ago, but I played it through because the gameplay and story compelled me to keep going, regardless of how pee pants scary it was (at the time).

Unfortunately that's how some of the kid's are to day well not the ridiculous amounts of ammo but they do want to be able shoot if they have the chance if they find a weapon and be able to move around freely. that's the issue they want to play the way they want. and not be given limited options such as movement. gun's they can do with out.

But when you limit their movement ....

Last edited:
I'd still want Capcom to try and do its own thing. Even with the more action oriented games, I don't really want them to be able to compete with the top shooters. I want RE to have it's own flair. Instead of having dual wielding dude bros, I'd want them to make the weapon wielding as realistic as possible. And go back to the item limitations, and not have players run around with ridiculous amounts of weapons and ammunition.
Having its own flair is competing with top shooters in my book. I don't mean they need to be similar in any way. Just that if 2 people try out only the gameplay of both (no story or anything else) they won't be able to point to RE as being the obviously inferior gameplay experience as I believe is the case for 5. There's plenty of good shooter campaigns that have tight controls and gameplay suited to a slow-paced story campaign with less action & less suited to a CoD or Halo style multiplayer. RE5 & RE6 have less than stellar gameplay and only the rest of the ResidentEvilness of those titles makes me want to play them.

Well people have been saying that the Resident evil series need to keep it's own Identity since 6 happened that part every one is agreeing up on Ice man. The problem is the rest of the Execution and that's on the game play and story.

the people in charge currently at capcom are headed left with action some of the fan base want to head completely back wards which far right . and those that have notice what it was that made it a hit with the series of which capcom dropped part of the formula for 4 was "keeping the balance " which the current head at capcom screwed up cause they dropped it as soon as they were making 5.

They don't need to head that far back. It's the fact that they skipped the middle ground that's what their mistake was.

Last edited:
What I think would be great, is if Capcom could manage to make you able to interact with literally everything in the environment. I want to be able to misuse all sorts of desk utensils, when I run out of ammo or weapons. Pick up a lamp and smash it across a Zombies face, use a pen to stab it through the eye socket, misuse a trophy that someone has on the shelve, pick up a goddamn chair to smash a zombie, then misuse the broken off and pointy chair leg as a stake. Let me use everything in the room to barricade a door if I desire.

I want the ability to literally use everything I can find to fend for my life.

What I think would be great, is if Capcom could manage to make you able to interact with literally everything in the environment. I want to be able to misuse all sorts of desk utensils, when I run out of ammo or weapons. Pick up a lamp and smash it across a Zombies face, use a pen to stab it through the eye socket, misuse a trophy that someone has on the shelve, pick up a goddamn chair to smash a zombie, then misuse the broken off and pointy chair leg as a stake. Let me use everything in the room to barricade a door if I desire.

I want the ability to literally use everything I can find to fend for my life.

Sounds like you're looking for Dead Rising to me.

I'm not a fan of the silliness of that game.

they should be looking at alot of other stuff to have inspiration from the same genre they them selves started in stead of COD. There's enough others out there now and the "last of us" is one of them. so's state of decay. All also listed by game informer on their scariest moments. there's alot put out from the news reviews sites like keeping the formula they had which they screwed up as soon as 5 came about.

And The heads of capcom are thinking about a clothing line and hair styles .

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of the silliness of that game.

Still, you pretty much described the mechanics of that series. I don't know if just reskinning DR with RE would be all that good of an idea. I'd prefer RE at least try to keep and establish it's own identity.

It would be kept in the realm of realism. I wouldn't want to be able to find a motorcycle and mount a chainsaw on it. But when I happen to stumble into someone's office in the game, and I have no weapons on me, I'd want to be able to pick up the PC monitor and hit it over a Zombie's head.

using any thing from the environment as a weapon will be fine. it's already apart of zombie lore through out already.

Now completely Copying dead rising would be to have Leon to have engineering skills and pulling a mcguyver with anything he comes a cross which really would be copying it and Resident evil not having it's own Identity happened which it lost already in 5 and 6.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say the identity of RE was lost in 5 & 6. They followed pretty closely in what 4 established. 6 did try in some of it's sections to experiment with it, but it still felt very much in that mold. I'm talking about from a gameplay perspective.

No they went off the rails as soon as 5 happened sorry to say. If they had kept it they would have tried to maintain the balance as the people of game informer and EPD.TV/RoTR have been saying. they lost focus then cause they went full military with the stupidest excuse and ta very unclear explanation ever made and bad reasoning. and the fact that the talent people of platnium games and shinji Mikami left

I don't know, outside the co-op thing, the games seemed to play similarly to RE4 to me.

And that's also always been another bane to this series The forced co-op. that was hated since prince of persia started with it's AI partner with that cell shsaded version. The Ai isn't smart enough for it with the res series . That thing should have been like the double dragon and turtle games from the arcade ETC where if there's co op it should always "Always" be a separate optional deal of a mode and it should always be by another person controlling it.

Only a few people in the video game industry have mastered the smart Ai system and capcom isn't one them there with that series.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back