The Walking Dead "The Walking Dead" General Stuff & Thaaaangs Thread - - - - Part 13

At least I'm glad to have seen Danai get her props. She's in BP and in Infinity War, hope this boosts her career.

Same with Sonequa Martin-Green on Star Trek Discovery.

The Walking Dead deals with another major loss: This week's cover

oAsKQOE.jpg

Entertainment Weekly said:
The Walking Dead concluded its midseason finale with the show’s biggest shocker yet. As if the Saviors escaping, the Kingdom getting wiped out, and Alexandria being blown up wasn’t bad enough, it was revealed in the episode’s final moments that Carl had been bitten by a zombie, signaling his imminent death and actor Chandler Riggs’ departure from the show.

The decision to kill Carl is certainly the greatest deviation yet from the comic on which the show is based. Not only is Carl one of just five original characters still on the AMC hit — and another one of those, Lennie James’ Morgan, will be leaving by the end of the season to move over to Fear the Walking Dead — but he remains a major figure in the comic book.

EW looks at the decision to kill Carl and what it means for those who live on — like Rick, Daryl, and Maggie — in our latest Walking Dead cover story. While Carl’s journey will end with the Feb. 25 midseason premiere, the character’s influence on the survivors will linger long after he’s gone. “He’s definitely leaving behind a really long-lasting legacy,” says Riggs, “which was the coolest part about playing those final moments — knowing that Carl was going to have such a lasting impact on the story.” Showrunner Scott M. Gimple concurs, noting that, “Carl’s presence is felt very deeply throughout the story. It’s a critical aspect of the season.”

Especially when it comes to Carl’s father Rick. “The back half [of the season] is him trying to live through the unbelievable pain, in the middle of a war, and trying to reconcile this loss with what he’s fighting for,” says Andrew Lincoln of his character. “This is his worst nightmare being realized.”

And expect the evolution of Daryl Dixon — who repeatedly went rogue in the first half of the season — to continue as well. “There’s some really good Daryl stuff coming up with some of the characters he’s been going toe-to-toe with,” promises Norman Reedus. “I love the way some of those stories get wrapped in the end. There’s a real beauty to it. It’s not exactly the way that you think. It wraps up in a very poetic way.”

So instead of dedicating the cover to "the show's big loss" they put the cash grab in place of it instead. Guess Daryl/Norman sells more magazines than Carl/Chandler. I'd be more interested in this issue if EW actually investigated or explored some of the recent behind the scenes drama with AMC than Season 8b and the crossover. They should talking about the declining in ratings and quality, all the lawsuits being thrown at AMC from Darabont, Kirkman, Hurd, Alpert, Mazzara, the late stuntman's mother pursuing legal action over the circumstances of his death due to accident on set, Chandler Riggs being fired, not to mention the show still hasn't been renewed for a 9th season, the contract renegotiations/renewals etc. All that is more intriguing than All Out Bore and the crossover at this point. Instead EW want to pretend that TWD is still a first rate/must watch show that's getting "juicy". If true, at least somebody at EW is still enjoying this show.

Last edited:
See the first crossover photos of Morgan on Fear the Walking Dead

XsjXjOS.jpg

f1nMI6m.jpg

Lennie James’ long, winding Walking Dead journey has reached a new destination as his character of Morgan will be leaving the original show at the end of season 8 and then moving over to companion series Fear the Walking Dead. And we’ve got the exclusive first photos of the big crossover right here. (See both images below).

Of particular note is that Morgan can be seen carrying his trusty fighting stick in both images, assuring fans that it remains his weapon of choice for taking on foes dead and undead. And what does Morgan’s introduction to Fear mean for both the character and the show, which is now filming season 4? Andrew Chambliss, who, along with Ian Goldberg, has taken over showrunning duties from Dave Erickson (with TWD showrunner Scott M. Gimple overseeing) told EW about the process of crossing over the character.

“As Morgan Jones steps into the world of FTWD, he’ll be continuing the journey he began on The Walking Dead way back in the pilot,” says Chambliss. “Ian and I were huge fans of the character when Lennie James first brought him to life back then, again when he returned in season 3, and finally when he became a series regular in season 6.”

Chambliss also spoke about how their initial meetings with James helped guide the path for the character as he jumps from one show to the other. “When we first met Lennie, he impressed upon us how much he cared about the character and how important it was to him for us to take Morgan to places we hadn’t seen before. It’s been a great challenge to set for ourselves, and it’s what we hope to do with the character — to push Morgan to places he could only get by coming into contact with the characters on Fear. They’ll change him. And, at the same time, he’ll change them.”

Both photos confirm that FTWD will do a major time jump (2 years) in order catch up to TWD;s current timeline. Can't say I'm happy about that.

Interesting quote from Reedus in that EW issue...

"The people that started this show, to me, are the heart of the show. When you lose those key members, it's such a big blow to the show, and to the fans, and to us that are there," Reedus told EW. "Who's left? There's only a few of us left out of all those people. If you wanted to turn it into a totally different show, you get rid of those people. But if you want to hold on to what made the show special, you've got to be very careful what you do with those people."

is there any risk we might lose Lincoln or Reedus for season 9 or 10?

I really don't get what the producers are thinking with recent storylines. Do they even acknowledge fans are upset and jumping ship?

The Walking Dead creator defends killing Carl

Many fans of The Walking Dead have been up in arms ever since it was revealed in the last moments of the show’s Dec. 10 midseason finale that Carl was bitten by a zombie, signaling his impending demise (which will play out in the Feb. 25 midseason premiere).

Of course, fans are always up in arms when a character is killed off, but Carl felt different. For one thing, Chandler Riggs is one of only five original season 1 characters still on the show, and another one of those — Lennie James, who plays Morgan — will be leaving at the end of the season to join companion series Fear the Walking Dead. But even more troubling to some was the fact that Carl is not only still alive in the comic, but features very prominently in the upcoming comic story — a story that some fans now worry will have to be reworked or completely scrapped for the TV adaptation.

We spoke to showrunner Scott M. Gimple (as well as star Andrew Lincoln and Riggs himself) in December about the decision to kill Carl, but what about the man who created The Walking Dead and is still writing Carl’s comic book adventures? We asked Robert Kirkman to share his feelings about the massive move.

“I think Scott first brought it up to me as a possibility probably about a year ago at this point,” says Kirkman, who is also an exec producer on the TV version. “At first, I was kind of like, ‘Well, that’s a big one, you know?’ I might have had a little bit of trepidation. But once he laid out to me exactly what his long-term plans were, and the things that come out of it, and the things that it leads to, it was something I got on board with.”

Kirkman has heard the clamoring from those distraught about the development, but he says that the team making the show expects and welcomes the pressure that comes along with such a huge death and deviation from the original source material. “I know that some fans online have been very upset, but that’s by design,” says Kirkman. “We’re not supposed to be happy when these characters die. We are supposed to be worried about what comes next, and anticipating what comes next, and stressing about what comes next. That just shows that you’re engaged and you’re interested. Our job is to now pay that off and fulfill that interest, and prove that this was a decision worth making. That’s what we’ve got to do.”

Executive producer Greg Nicotero, who directed the Feb, 25 midseason premiere that will serve as Carl’s final chapter, says the work to pay that off begins now. “The people that clearly are upset about losing Carl and questioning where the show goes without Carl — I really do believe that a lot of people will put those feelings aside when they watch this episode,” says Nicotero, “because they’re really going to get an opportunity to make some peace with it.”

Kirkman concurs and says the episode makes for a great sendoff for both the character and the boy-turned-man playing him. “It’s a great tribute to Carl the character, and Chandler the actor,” says Kirkman. “It’s definitely Chandler’s best work. His work in this episode is absolutely amazing. It’s something he should really be proud of. I think it’s something people will be talking about for a good long while. We’re just really excited to share with the audience.” (Riggs also talked to EW about what his last episode will mean moving forward: “He’s definitely leaving behind a really long-lasting legacy, which was the coolest part about playing those final moments — knowing that Carl was going to have such a lasting impact on the story.”)

As for what happens after Carl leaves, Kirkman insists the story rejiggering will not be as extensive as some may assume. “There are big, huge stories coming up that you might think will be massively altered because of the absence of Carl,” says Kirkman. “But we have known these story lines have been coming for years. There are plans in place to make it all work. The loss of Carl doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re going to be losing big swaths of the comic book story. It means that there will be some differences to them. The goal is that those differences will be as exciting to the audience as they are to me.”

Time will tell.

No real surprise there. Wonder what the showrunner change could mean for Season 9, not to mention Scott Gimple's upgrade to overseeing all Walking Dead related content.

I always thought Angela Kang was one of the weakest writers on the show. This isn't good news.

And now Gimple is chief content officer? He ruined the show. Ugggghhhhhhhhhhh

Last edited:
No real surprise there. Wonder what the showrunner change could mean for Season 9, not to mention Scott Gimple's upgrade to overseeing all Walking Dead related content.

I really hope so, but does AMC care at all?

Kirkman misses the point entirely here. First of all "if we got any reaction out of you, then we did our job," is simply not true. It's a lazy excuse to justify any decision that you might make, no matter how poor.

And second, people aren't angry in a visceral emotional way because they're attached to the story. They're angry at the showrunner/writers for what many see as a poorly-executed/conceived idea, and the perception that it exemplifies how the show has decline in quality.

Also add onto the belief that they essentially lied to/screwed over Chandler in the process, that doesn't help matters either.

I really hope Kang can improve it. The dialogue can't be worse than the bizarre stuff we're getting now.

Episodes written or co-written by Angela Kang:

2.06 – "Secrets"
2.11 – "Judge, Jury, Executioner"
3.05 – "Say the Word"
3.11 – "I Ain't a Judas"
4.02 – "Infected"
4.12 – "Still"
4.16 – "A" (co-written with Scott M. Gimple)
5.03 – "Four Walls and a Roof" (co-written with Corey Reed)
5.08 – "Coda"
5.15 – "Try"
6.03 – "Thank You"
6.10 – "The Next World" (co-written with Corey Reed)
6.13 – "The Same Boat"
7.03 – "The Cell"
7.07 – "Sing Me a Song" (co-written with Corey Reed)
7.09 – "Rock in the Road"
8.05 – "The Big Scary U" (co-written with Scott M. Gimple and David Leslie Johnson)

so... lets cancel the second half real quick.. let them reshoot it with carl burning the bite and surviving so he can be the bad ass he truly is in the comics.

EW's article on the renewal,the new showrunner, etc. proves how much in denial AMC is over this show's current output. They seem to turn a blind eye over the shows constant and often repeated problems, which shouldn't be surprising it's AMC. However, I was hoping AMC would come to their senses and fire Gimple. Instead he gets promoted for his mediocrity as "Chief Content Officer". And will now "oversee the Walking Dead TV franchise, including the companion series Fear The Walking Dead and future brand extensions" like he's Kevin Feige or something. Really?! Even though Angela Kang will be taking over as showrunner Gimple will still have final say over scripts, direction, etc, which in my eyes means Season 9 and onwards (possibly FTWD Season 4) won't improve but continue to diminish in quality. Doesn't help AMC and Gimple seem to be intent on milking this franchise dry, while interest and ratings continues to decline.

The Walking Dead: Chandler Riggs previews his final episode

The end is nigh for Carl on The Walking Dead. When it was revealed in the final moments of the Dec. 10 midseason finale that Carl had been bitten by a zombie, it became clear that the character’s final moments were not far behind.

Carl’s journey will end in the Feb. 25 midseason premiere, which will also mark the end on the show for the boy-turned-man who has played him for the past eight years, Chandler Riggs. (Of course, the actor and character could always show up again in flashbacks or dream sequences.) We spoke to Riggs — who recently filmed the movie Inherit the Viper and has a burgeoning music career under the alias Eclipse — to get his take on what to expect from his final installment, what it was like having to say goodbye to his castmates, and how his character’s final message will play a major part even after he’s gone.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: What can you say about playing this out in the next episode when the show returns?
CHANDLER RIGGS:
Well, it is gonna be some of Carl’s final moments in the next episode. And though you can see that the story is coming to an end, he does have a lot to say because he’s been watching Rick over the last however many years, and has been learning from him and seeing every mistake that he’s made and every right decision. And he’s turned out to be a really well-shaped leader — kind of suited for this world and an icon for the new age. And so Carl’s just really going to be trying to teach Rick as much as he can.

It’s really interesting, because it’s such a reversal of the comic. In the comic it is Carl, not Rick, that really wants to kill Negan and show no mercy.
Yeah, it’s actually really interesting to see it kind of turned around. It’s just a complete 180 and kind of put Rick in this affair of wanting to kill Negan constantly. And it’s really cool to see a different side of it and see Carl trying to influence him in the other direction.

How emotional was it filming this next episode?
You know, it was obviously really emotional with all of the cast and all the crew, because I’ve had such an awesome experience working on the show for eight years. And it’s definitely been such an awesome ride and I’m super, super happy to have had this opportunity. And though it was a sad time on the set, it helps that they had such a positive outlook on it because of how bittersweet it was, for me, because it was just quite the shock to hear the news.

It was a weird kind of goodbye in that I now get to do all these other things and have so many more opportunities, but it was also kind of bitter because I have worked with these people for so long. And it’s really a family atmosphere.

It must have been nice having Greg Nicotero direct that last episode since he, like you, has been there from the beginning.
That too. It was definitely really nice to have a familiar face to work with for my last episode. Every episode with any director is going to be great, but it was nice having Greg there for the last one.

Did you find yourself approaching this episode or preparing for it any differently than some of the others?
Definitely, yeah. For the majority of the time that I was working on the show, I was in school half the time so I never really felt that I could mentally put 100 percent into my work. And it was really frustrating because I’d have to bounce back and forth between school and work. I loved going to work every day and it was so much fun, but I always had to think about school and have to worry about that. And that last episode, I got to put 100 percent into that because I had already decided I wanted to move out to Los Angeles.

And it was really nice that I got to focus on just my character and just the show and really put all of my effort into it. It was nice to be able to put 100 percent of my full capacity into just those moments and those scenes, and I feel like they’re going to mean so much to every character because of how much I was able to put into it.

Carl may be on his way out here, but it’s clear that his words and his influence are really going to be felt in a major way for the rest of the season.
Yeah, he’s definitely leaving behind a really long-lasting legacy, which was the coolest part about playing those final moments — knowing that Carl was going to have such a lasting impact on the story.

Was it a bit surreal when they went on filming without you? Did it feel like when you graduate from school, and the school keeps going but you’re not there anymore?
Kind of, yeah. It’s so weird not knowing what’s happening while they’re all down there. But I still get to see a lot of the actors at conventions, so it’s not really a final farewell. I’m still going to see them every few weeks and get to catch up and hang out. It’s definitely weird not being a part of it. But it’s really cool knowing that my character still has a legacy that was left behind. Carl wasn’t being forgotten. He might be gone, but he’s leaving behind something that’s going to last for a long time.

Check out the painted Walking Dead billboard coming to Brooklyn

zkp3Lgx.jpg

The Walking Dead is going both artsy and old school to promote the show’s return on Feb. 25. The AMC zombie drama will be unleashing a new painted wall billboard in Brooklyn on Monday, Jan. 22, and we’ve got your exclusive first look at it right here.

In addition to going with the standard photo collage usually used to promote the show, exec-producer/director Greg Nicotero wanted to tap into his love of Hollywood history to produce some special artwork that evoked a different feel.

“As a kid, I was heavily influenced by movie poster artists… John Berkey (the 1976 version of King Kong, The Towering Inferno), Roger Kastel (Jaws, The Empire Strikes Back), and our season 1 poster artist Drew Struzan (Back to the Future, E.T.),” says Nicotero. “We wanted to bring back some of that style and flair in this piece by telling our story in a painting as opposed to just a photo collage.”

Nicotero knew just the man to call: Christopher Shy. “I’ve loved Christopher’s work for quite some time and brought it to [showrunner] Scott Gimple who immediately felt his style emulated a feel more akin to posters of our youth and wanted to translate that feel to The Walking Dead

Shy was more than happy to help out. “Greg called, and we started talking about our mutual love of John Berkey’s work, the King Kong poster, Towering Inferno, the great disaster movie posters,” says Shy. “Greg’s a really smart guy, he understands that visual language. I have Jaws and King Kong hanging on my walls, and every time, they just blow me out of the water. That’s what drew me to the project, first how fast me and Greg got along, and how fast we both locked in on how much fun it would be to approach The Walking Dead in that vain.”

Check out the final result for yourself. And starting on Jan. 22 you can keep your eyes on buildings throughout Brooklyn to try to find the art in person. Happy hunting!

The Season 8b banner has been revealed.

f9qmoZq.jpg

The artwork looks like it was made for one of AMC's TWD mobile games than from the actual show. Hopefully this will be The Last Stand with Rick & co. vs Negan and the Saviors arc because it's been played out.

I'm glad Norman and Andrew are making 500 K an episode at least because the show has drastically lost its way.

Kumar is going to Lucille his ass.

For those still doubting Chandler Riggs exiting the show. This morning he posted on twitter a picture of himself with a post TWD haircut. He mentioned a couple of years ago on Talking Dead that it was in his contract that he couldn't cut his hair.

new hair who dis

zfUrlTF.jpg

Why? His hair style was one of the most irksome things about his character. Is this why Norman Reedus don't cut his hair either? He used to be handsome back in the day when Michael Rooker was in the cast, but since then, he looks horrible.

'It Ends Now' Official Mid-Season Premiere Sneak Peek | The Walking Dead
[YT]mUX9KgmqdhI[/YT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"