No Way Home "There's No Place Like Home" - Andrew Garfield Returns As Webbverse Spider-Man

Because he loves playing the character. And has a good relationship with Amy Pascal.

Not everything is about Fiege.

Its like if Holland was asked to do Venom 3. He probably would do it. He isn't saying its Fiege or nothing.

Last edited:
I don't think there was ever any acknowledgment in a stepchild nature there. I think some expected there would be and I think some may have read into some jokes that way. But i don't think that was the intention in the writing. I think it was all in good dynamic fun. There was no meta-message there.

I will always stand by TASM as being a good movie. 2nd had issues but good moments. So if anyone notices Andrew now, its because they were not looking properly before.
I took the "You ain't **** no more" from Electro as one, as well as all the jokes about the silliness of Electro's origin/appearance prior to his origin/Lizard's plan as acknowledging the general real life sentiments towards those movies. They got a lot of flack in the years since and they are certainly aware of it. The whole thing with Electro here is that he's 'cool now' in this world. Maybe those specifically weren't intended as such but the whole movie was full of meta poking jokes and nods you can't deny (I'm something of a scientist myself!). More tastefully done than these things usually are, but that's the foundation of a lot of the context of the fun writing here.

Last edited:
What makes you think Andrew even wants to make a film for Sony in the first place? Pretty sure Feige and being in the MCU was the draw to return

What proof is there to even assume that Andrew wants to be in the MCU or has any feelings towards Feige positive or negative?

Andrew truly loves playing the character. He would most likely have come
Back regardless if given the chance simply cause of the character. The concept of all the Spider-Men in the movie together regardless of what universe would have been too enticing for anyone to turn it down.

The dude also loved Amy. I know Feige walks on water at times but it’s not always about him lol.

I don't think there was ever any acknowledgment in a stepchild nature there. I think some expected there would be and I think some may have read into some jokes that way. But i don't think that was the intention in the writing. I think it was all in good dynamic fun. There was no meta-message there.

I will always stand by TASM as being a good movie. 2nd had issues but good moments. So if anyone notices Andrew now, its because they were not looking properly before.

pretty much this….

TASM was a great movie and even though part two definitely had problems, I liked it. You’re not alone on that island. Lol.

pretty much this….

TASM was a great movie and even though part two definitely had problems, I liked it. You’re not alone on that island. Lol.

Yeah I think TASM actually has aged surprisingly well over the years and I think No Way Home will only strengthen it for the general audience considering the positive reception on Andrew and the emphasis on what Gwen meant to him.

Last edited:
I took the "You ain't **** no more" from Electro as one

Well that just shows how we perceive things if we are either expecting them or looking for them.

That line to me was a reference to TASM2 where Electro got bitter towards Spider-man. On times square where everyone was focusing on Spider-man. He wanted to be noticed but everyone was looking at Spider-man. Well now "you ain't **** no more". Its continuity. Which this is really tried with.

as well as all the jokes about the silliness of Electro's origin/appearance prior to his origin/Lizard's plan as acknowledging the general real life sentiments towards those movies.

Really its no different from the kids laughing at Doc Ocks name, whether he wants salt water or controlling Doc Ock like he is a joke now. Or the jokes at Tobey's organic webs. It wasn't riffing at them for being bad. it was MCU humor like "Oh we are using our made-up names". Its the type of humor only the MCU could do where they can have fun with comic book silliness and the audience embraces it.

I think people expected to see some meta digs towards Andrew Garfield as a failed Spider-man. But i also think those expectations expected Tobey to be placed on some mantel of importance when he clearly wasn't.

I don't think any of it was mean-spirited or biased. It was all in love and good fun.

Last edited:
yeah I liked TASM even it had to do some dumb things to differentiate it from the Raimi movies. I have always laughed at people who hated on Andrew because he wasn't "dorky and nerdy" enough. Obviously they never watched any other Spider-Man related material besides the Raimi films

yeah I liked TASM even it had to do some dumb things to differentiate it from the Raimi movies. I have always laughed at people who hated on Andrew because he wasn't "dorky and nerdy" enough. Obviously they never watched any other Spider-Man related material besides the Raimi films

It's more so the juxtaposition of him being both a social outcast and a handsome skateboarding heart-throb. If the establishing scene in school is anything to go by, Peter had sort of a bully victim/wall flower status before the movie's events. Some people just didn't buy it and I think they have a fair point. He seemed exactly like the type who would have plenty of girls fawn over him (in real life every girl I knew were foaming about how sexy Peter was). Obviously Gwen was into him, but as far as the movie tells us she was the first.

Also I'm not sure what comics you mean, but as I understand, by the point he had become cooler and less geeky he had many friends, and girls competing over him. My point is, if they wanted a cool Peter Parker they should've embraced it.

Last edited:
It's more so the juxtaposition of him being both a social outcast and a handsome skateboarding heart-throb. If the establishing scene in school is anything to go by, Peter had sort of a bully victim/wall flower status before the movie's events. Some people just didn't buy it and I think they have a fair point. He seemed exactly like the type who would have plenty of girls fawn over him (in real life every girl I knew were foaming about how sexy Peter was). Obviously Gwen was into him, but as far as the movie tells us she was the first.

Also I'm not sure what comics you mean, but as I understand, by the point he had become cooler and less geeky he had many friends, and girls competing over him. My point is, if they wanted a cool Peter Parker they should've embraced it.

I don't understand what was so "cool" about Peter Parker in ASM. Because he rode a skateboard? Does that really make someone cool? I feel like that's just a stereotype.

Yeah, I never understood the Garfield is too handsome complaint. In every iteration of the character until Tobey, Peter is depicted as a handsome guy. Not even 10 issues in the Lee/Ditko era the glasses are broken and shortly after that Liz Allen is fawning over him, Betty Brant has a thing with him, eventually Gwen, then Mary Jane who has the looks fit to be a soap actress/model. Felicia Hardy anyone? They're not just drawn that way, their characterizations are that they are certified dimes. Looks are not nor should they be the be-all, but Lee, Ditko and Romita Sr. made it no secret that Peter is an absolute snack.

I don't understand what was so "cool" about Peter Parker in ASM. Because he rode a skateboard? Does that really make someone cool? I feel like that's just a stereotype.

Of course skateboarding in itself doesn't necessarily make one cool, but if you're already a smokeshow then yes it will probably add to your superficial appeal for a fair amount of people.

Yeah, I never understood the Garfield is too handsome complaint. In every iteration of the character until Tobey, Peter is depicted as a handsome guy. Not even 10 issues in the Lee/Ditko era the glasses are broken and shortly after that Liz Allen is fawning over him, Betty Brant has a thing with him, eventually Gwen, then Mary Jane who has the looks fit to be a soap actress/model. Felicia Hardy anyone? They're not just drawn that way, their characterizations are that they are certified dimes. Looks are not nor should they be the be-all, but Lee, Ditko and Romita Sr. made it no secret that Peter is an absolute snack.

need I remind yall how Peter Parker used to look? Clearly there was a time when he wasn't such a snack. Liz here is even scoffing at the idea of inviting Peter to a dance because he appears so lame.
1_d260_0.jpg
After the spider-bite, he started gaining confidence and grew into his looks. He was never ugly, but before he got his powers he had a kind of meek, wet blanket-vibe.

I'm not saying that Andrew Garfield is too hot to play Peter. On the contrary, I think he's a perfect choice. But if he's 27 years old and at his peak-attractiveness, maybe he shouldn't play the teenage wallflower version, but rather the later Peter Parker who is popular with the ladies? Like it's not just that he's good looking, it's that he's attractive like a 27 year old, in high school. But we're to believe that girls before Gwen weren't all that interested.

If they do that she will be playing completely different character and person we knew from TASM movies. She will play character in universe where she get bitten by radioactive or genetic spider and becomes essentially Spider-Women as her love interest Peter Parker dies.

She would be playing Gwen Stacy only in her name. But it would be dope to seeing her having picture of Peter Parker and on picture be Andrew Garfield.

Of course skateboarding in itself doesn't necessarily make one cool, but if you're already a smokeshow then yes it will probably add to your superficial appeal for a fair amount of people.

need I remind yall how Peter Parker used to look? Clearly there was a time when he wasn't such a snack. Liz here is even scoffing at the idea of inviting Peter to a dance because he appears so lame.
1_d260_0.jpg
After the spider-bite, he started gaining confidence and grew into his looks. He was never ugly, but before he got his powers he had a kind of meek, wet blanket-vibe.

I'm not saying that Andrew Garfield is too hot to play Peter. On the contrary, I think he's a perfect choice. But if he's 27 years old and at his peak-attractiveness, maybe he shouldn't play the teenage wallflower version, but rather the later Peter Parker who is popular with the ladies? Like it's not just that he's good looking, it's that he's attractive like a 27 year old, in high school. But we're to believe that girls before Gwen weren't all that interested.

Hah first of all I thought we were agreeing with each other. But in response why do you need to remind he wasn't attracting women? I even said AFTER the glasses broke the girls started noticing him. That implies yes before his glasses broke that no one wanted anything to do with him.

But the point still stands, he wasn't even loser'ish that long in the comics. Within 7 or 8 issues he was comfortable in his own skin but people act like Peter has to be a dweeb throughout high school.

1_d260_0.jpg

I guess I'm immune to male attractiveness, because it never even occured to me that he was more attractive than average.

But honestly what women consider to be attractive seems to be all over the place compared to men. Also, confidence and social status are way more important for men when it comes to success in dating. Men will eagerly go over and ask out a cute looking shy, nerdy girl. The inverse isn't nearly as likely to happen.

If they do that she will be playing completely different character and person we knew from TASM movies. She will play character in universe where she get bitten by radioactive or genetic spider and becomes essentially Spider-Women as her love interest Peter Parker dies.

She would be playing Gwen Stacy only in her name. But it would be dope to seeing her having picture of Peter Parker and on picture be Andrew Garfield.

I mean, that's exactly as it should be. Bringing back the ASM universe's Gwen would cheapen her death and Peter's arc with her.

The appeal would be in A. seeing Emma Stone play a superhero and B. seeing how ASM Peter Parker handles meeting and being around an alternate universe counterpart to Gwen who is also a superhero. The point isn't to bring the original Gwen back to life.

Last edited:
So happy to see all this love for Andrew. Always loved him as an actor and liked his Spidey too, but he was just let down by shoddy scripts. He proved it here that he can truly shine in the role. I liked him more than the other two in this one. He damn near made me cry on more than one occasion :cry:.
I really think Andrew and Hardy would jive well on screen. Idk why, I just do lol.
I think they’d have great chemistry. And you know, Andrew was advocating for a bi Spider-Man once upon a time so there could be a love triangle between Parker, Brock and Venom :ninja:.

I kid, I kid :oldrazz:. Though I would really love if his Peter got a male MJ. We’ve had multiple lady MJs. Let us have a dude MJ now. Of course, that’s if he even gets a chance to come back, which I’m not sure how much stock we should be putting into these twitter rumours.

Hah first of all I thought we were agreeing with each other. But in response why do you need to remind he wasn't attracting women? I even said AFTER the glasses broke the girls started noticing him. That implies yes before his glasses broke that no one wanted anything to do with him.

Oh... my bad. I have a flu right now and my head's a bit fuzzy. Got stuck in debate mode.

I'm glad he had his moment here, but he's still my least favorite Spider-Man actor. I really have no interest in seeing another movie starring Garfield though. Or Emma Stone as Spider-Gwen for that matter.

Sure -- Peter is handsome on the outside. However, what matters to most girls is personality. Doesn't matter if you're a looker, if you're awkward and reserved women or (or gay guys for that matter) will ignore you 90% of the time.

1_d260_0.jpg

Again, Liz here isn't mocking Peter's looks, but rather his wallflower / outcast behavior.

I thought it was a nice return for Garfield (and obviously Toby too). Can understand how people felt about the TASM movies. But I still liked that version of Spider-Man and felt good having him back for this. Even some occasions for some quipping even if he wasn't entirely in the mood for it. A good chance to explore where that character went after suffering another catastrophic loss.

And yeah, I liked that his character got that second chance. Obviously couldn't save Gwen here. But it was nice that they set him up to make that save with Michelle.

If they want to do more with him and Toby then I'm all for it. This is a great opportunity honestly for making use of those guys again. Obviously Sony wants to make all the money. But honestly I'd be up for even just one more movie for Garfield. If they want to cross his path with Venom then sure why not.

I thought it was a nice return for Garfield (and obviously Toby too). Can understand how people felt about the TASM movies. But I still liked that version of Spider-Man and felt good having him back for this. Even some occasions for some quipping even if he wasn't entirely in the mood for it. A good chance to explore where that character went after suffering another catastrophic loss.

And yeah, I liked that his character got that second chance. Obviously couldn't save Gwen here. But it was nice that they set him up to make that save with Michelle.

If they want to do more with him and Toby then I'm all for it. This is a great opportunity honestly for making use of those guys again. Obviously Sony wants to make all the money. But honestly I'd be up for even just one more movie for Garfield. If they want to cross his path with Venom then sure why not.

I honestly think the Venom movie is the best play for utilizing Andrew at the current moment. Keep the concept for the movie as simple as possible and let Hardy/Garfield tear it up. I honestly think they would fantastic chemistry on screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"