Thor: Box Office and Predictions

Based on the growth of OW and total grosses from the previous films (Thor 1: $65.7M OW and $449.3M total; Thor: TDW: $85.7M OW and $644.8M; Thor: Ragnarok: $122.7M OW and $854M total,) I'd say Thor: Love and Thunder is going to be setting new franchise records.
Agree. I think 1B is in the cards. My guess is a little short of MoM with better legs with very similar WW totals when all is said and done. Thor and DS are, IMO, the current Marvel gold standard. Captain Marvel could approach that depending on the next movie and with Chadwick gone ( :csad: ), BP is a big question mark.

Agree. I think 1B is in the cards. My guess is a little short of MoM with better legs with very similar WW totals when all is said and done. Thor and DS are, IMO, the current Marvel gold standard. Captain Marvel could approach that depending on the next movie and with Chadwick gone ( :csad: ), BP is a big question mark.
I think its terms of popularity its

1. Spider-Man
2. Thor
3. Dr. Strange
4. Captain Marvel
5. Guardians of the GalaXy
6. Shang-Chi
7. Ant-Man
8. Eternals

No Hulk because he's not getting his own fliX.

I think its terms of popularity its

1. Spider-Man
2. Thor
3. Dr. Strange
4. Captain Marvel
5. Guardians of the GalaXy
6. Shang-Chi
7. Ant-Man
8. Eternals

No Hulk because he's not getting his own fliX.
Yeah. I don’t have too much of a quarrel with that. I think it’s going to vary picture to picture but that seems like a fairly decent snap shot right now

The New Normal for Film Releases
According to new survey data obtained by The Direct from Whip Media, it turns out that an average filmgoing individual will commit to either going to the cinema or watching at home depending largely on the movie in question.

Marvel Studios' Thor: Love and Thunder is, based on poll data, the movie that intended viewers most want to see in theaters. 77% of respondents said they would prefer to watch Love and Thunder on the big screen and just 23% plan instead to watch the sequel at home.
Thor: Love and Thunder, on the other hand, is a surefire blockbuster that will almost certainly crack a billion dollars off the back of lead Chris Hemsworth's proven star power. Marvel has shown that it can consistently deliver a product that will get people into cinemas, even with its content machine now producing shows and specials for smaller screens with their acclaimed offerings on the Disney+ streaming service.
Also worth considering is the effect of hype and spoiler culture on these big summer movies. Fans will flock to a movie like Thor to keep up with the ongoing MCU storyline and avoid missing out and potentially spoiling key plot points for themselves by accident. Were these same people to wait until the movie is available on streaming, the hype train would have long rolled past the station and the discourse would have died down, while spoilers remain abound.
0AC13CDF-011E-49E8-A991-2A22A8CFC962.jpg

It's pretty clear what kind of movie motivates people to go to the theater.

Given the insane levels of hype for this movie, I think L&T is a shoe-in to hit a billion.
The hype is going to be higher after the second trailer too given what they’ve held back. Taika already has the success of Ragnarok under his belt with the MCU and is probably going to go even crazier this time. :D

July 1st
- Minions: The Rise of Gru
July 8th - Thor: Love and Thunder
July 22th - Nope
July 29th - Super-Pets

Bullet Train moved once again. This time from July 29th to August 5th. Seems to me that they are getting as far away as possible from this juggernaut.

July 1st
July 22th - Nope
July 29th - Super-Pets

Bullet Train moved once again. This time from July 29th to August 5th. Seems to me that they are getting as far away as possible from this juggernaut.

It’s not only that they want to move for financial reasons to not get dominated by L&T, it’s also that they all want to book out seats for L&T for themselves lol.

July 1st
July 22th - Nope
July 29th - Super-Pets

So 4 weekends of boX office thunder and love for the Thors!

Given the insane levels of hype for this movie, I think L&T is a shoe-in to hit a billion.
Yeah. I think you're right. Also, check out the release schedule. July, August, and September (until the last week) is just a wasteland. Someone could have dropped in a movie in early to late August and had a nice window. I know it's not considered prime release, but it's freaking summer and people don't go around saying "Oh man, it's August. I don't want to go to the movies". Weird. I mean, Bullet Train, but still.......

The point being that it just makes a better window for L&T. I don't think it would have really cut into the BO much, but moving it out gives Thor no headwinds for a month. I don't expect Bullet Train to be a gigantic hit either and we'll see where Nope actually does land. Anytime in the last 2 weeks of August or even early Sept would work. My guess is late August. It's slow in late summer.

Yeah. I think you're right. Also, check out the release schedule. July, August, and September (until the last week) is just a wasteland. Someone could have dropped in a movie in early to late August and had a nice window. I know it's not considered prime release, but it's freaking summer and people don't go around saying "Oh man, it's August. I don't want to go to the movies". Weird. I mean, Bullet Train, but still.......
Marvel Studios should just release Wakanda Forever in August then :funny: less waiting for us

The window for L&T just keeps improving. Hopefully this really smashes up the box office and forces Feige to greenlight more Thor films.

The window for L&T just keeps improving. Hopefully this really smashes up the box office and forces Feige to greenlight more Thor films.
If Chris wants to do another Thor movie, I think it's in the bag. He's a very popular character and the chemistry with the GotG works really well.

Has it been confirmed whether or not Thor will appear in GotG3?

Feels like this has a chance of beating MoM now.

If Chris wants to do another Thor movie, I think it's in the bag. He's a very popular character and the chemistry with the GotG works really well.

Has it been confirmed whether or not Thor will appear in GotG3?
True. Haven’t seen it confirmed myself but it would make sense and would boost interest in that film a lot if so.

I think it's pretty much a given unless it gets really bad reviews and WOM. I just don't see that happening with this director and cast.

Agreed. The hype levels for this thing are insane. In Phase 4 so far, only NWH had more buzz surrounding it than L&T.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"