• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Homecoming Which villain had the best design?

Why is everyone picking Doc Ock? his look didn't resemble the comics, like at all!

Eh...he's not that far off. Pudgy guy with a bad haircut, four long mechanical arms, and sunglasses. Seems pretty accurate to me.

Besides, even if he didn't, he looks awesome.

Dehaan's design would actually be great if only he was pure green skinned. (I realize it was supposed to be a proto-goblin but that shouldn't effect the serum effects itself)

Btw, the worst design IMO was venom. Venom has to be big and bulky, monster-like (not hulk sized necessarily) and topher's venom basically looked like black suit spiderman with a mouth.

Btw, the worst design IMO was venom. Venom has to be big and bulky, monster-like (not hulk sized necessarily) and topher's venom basically looked like black suit spiderman with a mouth.

133643_496129951739_1540365_o.jpg

28726_403155261739_5476145_n.jpg

tumblr_n5lvc6qQX31qbn6jwo1_500.jpg

Venom was probably third best for me.

Yea doesn't do it for me :oldrazz:

(I realize I'm exaggerating by comparing his build to spiderman himself, I still think they went too small with him though, more McFarlane-esque is what I prefer. And it looks too much like spidey's own material on the skin, when it should look like pure symbiote not bonded to any suit. I'm probably being too hard on it though)

Last edited:
Doc Ock. I thought he looked so good, when the Doc Ock poster came out I replaced my Spider-Man desktop with the Doc Ock desktop.

Lizard and Electro (to me) are visually interesting. Rhino is by far the worst design.

My list is based on being visually interesting rather than being most comic accurate;
Doc Ock (by miles)
Electro
Lizard

Green Goblin
Green Goblin (Dahaan)
Green Goblin (Franco)
Sandman (comic accurate but visually boring when in 'human' mode)
Venom

Rhino (can't put into word how crap I thought Rhino looked)

Sandman is easily the most accurate, but he's super easy to pull off. That given, I'd give this prize to Ock. Venom, I'll admit the face was good (for the brief times it was covering Topher's obnoxious face), but everything else was wrong: the size, the raised webbing, ....

I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about Venom's head in SM3 looked off. (Maybe that's why he looks so scrawny? something about his head)

For me it's the fact that it looks like a mask, with visible material and spiderman webbing, even though there's no suit on Brock

Dr. Octopus is best of all by long way. He looks so cool.

Second best is Venom, he looked perfect, not too big and not too thin. I hate how artists used to make him look like Hulk size.

Third best are tied Goblins from Raimi's series. Dafoe Goblin looked best of the two.

Worst ones are the TASM villains. Lizard looked like a Super Mario goomba. Harry Goblin looked like a cross between a troll doll and Butthead on meth. Electro looked like a Dr. Manhattan and Mr. Freeze love child lol. Rhino was a Robocop villain reject.

For me it's the fact that it looks like a mask, with visible material and spiderman webbing, even though there's no suit on Brock
I've always wondered how Eddie's head even fits in the mask/mouth.

Venom looked great for the most part. It was when they enlarged his jaw (and subsequently his head) to comical proportions when it looked it's worst. Hated the webbing he had all over him, too.

The promotional art looked a lot better IMO:
spiderman-3-2007-49-g.jpg

latest

I think his head was a little too big and round in the actual movie.

The promotional art looked a lot better IMO:
spiderman-3-2007-49-g.jpg

latest

I think his head was a little too big and round in the actual movie.

I actually do think that's an improvement. The chest decal looks a lot better, and it's a bit more built on the upper body (but maybe that's just the way he's posed)

Venom's design was fine, it just didn't make much of an impact with the minuscule screen time that Grace had.

Hated the Venom eyes, hated the Venom mouth, the whole thing was too CG.

Yea doesn't do it for me :oldrazz:

(I realize I'm exaggerating by comparing his build to spiderman himself, I still think they went too small with him though, more McFarlane-esque is what I prefer. And it looks too much like spidey's own material on the skin, when it should look like pure symbiote not bonded to any suit. I'm probably being too hard on it though)

The symbiote was bonded to the Spider-Man suit. If you recall it absorbed onto Peter's Spider-Man suit when it first bonded to him. That's why he was naked after it left him in the church tower and went onto Brock.

In terms of comic book accuracy as in emulating the accurate visual look of a character, he's second to Sandman in that regard. I'd say the third most visually pleasing villain of the Spider-Man movies after Ock and Sandman.

The symbiote was bonded to the Spider-Man suit. If you recall it absorbed Peter's Spider-Man suit when it first bonded to him. That's why he was naked after it left him in the church tower.

In terms of comic book accuracy as in emulating the accurate visual look of a character, he's second to Sandman in that regard.

That makes sense, but it only took the Spider-man suit's form because it was bonded to spiderman himself. I'll admit I didn't even like Spider-Man's black suit, I wish it was just pure black without webbing or material, just the decal. Venom's design just felt not right for me. The material still bugs me.

Last edited:
Ock's design was perfect, Sandman's was almost totally comics-accurate. Venom was decent. I thought Electro looked amazing, Rhino was good in terms of emulating the Ultimate look (they weren't gonna go with the classic look given who they cast). Of the three Goblin designs, Dafoe's is the best, though I've never really cared for it that much. DeHaan's would have been great had it looked more finished, Franco was totally underwhelming. The Lizard's design was cool, he just wasn't scary enough.

That makes sense, but it only took Spider-man's form because it was bonded to spiderman himself.

Why would you think that? Is this stated somewhere in the movie that it only stays looking like a Spider-Man suit because Peter wears it? Or is this just an assumption you're making, because it was bonded onto his Spider-Man suit, hence why it looked like a black Spider-Man suit. Why would it suddenly change design because it's on Brock?

I'll admit I didn't even like Spider-Man's black suit, I wish it was just pure black without webbing or material, just the decal. Venom's design just felt not right for me. The material still bugs me.

When you look at it, it's no more lazy than the actual symbiote suit design of the comics which is basically the same black suit minus all the great Spider-Man suit details, and a white spider symbol.

Besides the fact that they're both mechanical, TASM2 Rhino looked nothing Ultimate Rhino.
TASM2 Rhino looks like a bunch of metal parts were slapped together and molded to slightly resemble a Rhino. the design was truly terrible IMO.

Why would you think that? Is this stated somewhere in the movie that it only stays looking like a Spider-Man suit because Peter wears it? Or is this just an assumption you're making?

When you look at it, it's no more lazy than the actual symbiote suit design of the comics which is basically the same black suit minus all the great Spider-Man suit details, and a white spider symbol.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but wasn't that the case in the comics? That's why venom was more monsterous, to reflect Brock himself?

I'm not saying it's a bad design or lazy, it just wasn't my preference is all. I know it's not necessarily the popular opinion.

Besides the fact that they're both mechanical, TASM2 Rhino looked nothing Ultimate Rhino.
TASM2 Rhino looks like a bunch of metal parts were slapped together and molded to slightly resemble a Rhino. the design was truly terrible IMO.

Eh, I thought it looked cool. The minute Giamatti was cast, I knew they would go with the robotic look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"