The Wolverine Actresses you want to see as Mariko and Yukio

vinegar_q

Civilian
Reaction score
I am curious to know who people want to see cast as Mariko and/or Yukio in this film. Do you think they would prefer to cast a newcomer? Or someone with a well established filmography?

I would prefer to see Taiwanese actress Shu Qi be cast in either of the roles. Her looks probably be more suited towards Yukio, but she is a wonderful actress. She debuted on American cinema with the first Transporter. She is less known in the U.S because she films are usually based from Asia.

People my throw Zhang Ziyi's name around because she seems like the prominent Asian actress, but I really don't think she can pull this off. Although, I wouldn't mind if they cast Gong Li, she is excellent.

I would just really just want to see someone different other than Zhang, I wouldn't mind if they cast Koyuki (I think that is her name) from The Last Samurai.

Who do you want to see in the female lead and supporting roles?

solid suggestions but part of me wants Yunjin Kim for the role (hi i'm new to the forum)

solid suggestions but part of me wants Yunjin Kim for the role (hi i'm new to the forum)

The actress from The Last Samurai, Gong Li and Yunjin Kim all fit well for Mariko.

For Yukio I'd go for Zhang Ziyi.

with La Femme Nikita being brought back on tv, I can see Maggie Q's name being thrown around.

Total Film did a feature where it picked a few actresses for...

Yukio - Maggie Q, Chiaki Kuriyama, Jamie Chung, Devon Aoki, Bai Ling, Zhang Ziyi.

I think Bai Ling is the best choice from this list here.

... and ...

Mariko - Rinko Kikuchi, Tang Wei, Gong Li, Yunjim Kim, Grace Park.

I think that Zhang Ziyi, a selection that they've made for Yukio is a better choice for Mariko than the others on this list, except for maybe Rinko who I've heard is fantastic.

It's strange how many of the choices are Chinese. I guess there aren't that many Japanese actresses out there with a high enough profile to get them noticed, at least by TF.

with La Femme Nikita being brought back on tv, I can see Maggie Q's name being thrown around.

That could be a reason for her not to be get the role since her show's schedule might clash with that of Wolverine.

There are some good names been suggested in this thread. I'd add Maggie Cheung to that list who turned down the chance to play Lady Deathstrike in X2.

Almost everything about Bai Ling gets on my nerves, lol. I'd like to see Gong Li as Mariko and Maggie Q as Yukio.

I don't know, I'd really prefer the actress actually be Japanese. Too many Chinese and Korean candidates on here. Of course, everyone's probably going to be speaking English anyway, but I'd like the added verisimilitude if there is any Japanese dialogue. I will say that since Aronofsky was chosen to be director, I'm not worried at all about casting.

I only know a handful of Asian actresses. But I :hrt: Lucy Liu, I would love if they got her for Yukio.

Since Wolverine recently camoed in a film called Snow Flower and The Secret Fan that's being distributed by Fox Searchlight. The film is an Asian set film with a primarily Asian cast with Asian female leads.btw

I wonder if Hugh is going to talk to Darren about getting Bingbing Li(Forbidden Kingdom, Snow Flower and The Secret Fan), Gianna Jun (Snow Flower and The Secret Fan, Blood:The Last Vampire), and Vivian Wu ( Snow Flower and The Secret Fan, TMNT III) to possibly play Mariko and Yukio. What do y'all think? Could you see any of those three girls in either role?

We need some pictures in here. Maggie q wouldn't be a horrible choice though.

We need some pictures in here. Maggie q wouldn't be a horrible choice though.

Here's pics for the Actresses I mentioned above:

Bingbing Li

self_20060913_902.jpg

03c8ade3e2a4.jpg

xin_370204091516697019733.jpg

Gianna Jun

gianna_jun.jpg

jun.jpg

Vivian Wu

IMG_5762.jpg

37729.jpg

Vivian_Wu.jpg