Ahsoka Ahsoka General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

Both of these characters look like they stepped right out of a European, medieval fantasy film.

Also, both of their last names are Sköll and Hati, which are also the names of the two wolves that pull the sun and moon in Norse mythology. Considering Filoni’s obsession with wolves, and how the mysterious wolves we got in the Rebels series have some sort of connection to the World Between Worlds, which seems to have a significant part to play in this series, I wonder if there’s some sort of connection there.
Nice details, thanks for that. Love seeing this kind of thought being put into character names.

I never need to see soulless robo Luke again. It was cute for a one scene appearance, but Book of Boba Fett was a fantastic display of why it's terrible for a substantial appearance.
Well after the Mando cameo in S2 finale, they invested in better de-aging tech and even hired a Youtuber who was posting deepfakes at the time, one of which was a 'better' version of what Disney put out:

Which is ultimately what led to the vastly improved appearance of Luke in Book of Boba:
ed883d0b638e95fc54a8928d38af740ef79f52dc.gif

And I wouldn't necessarily call it "soulless" as Mark Hamill gave them his blessing and confirmed his participation in these cameos. His acting, his body movements, his reactions, etc. were all used as a point of reference for the stand-in and the CG that was applied in post.

luke-boba-3.jpg

Now I wouldn't go as far as to say that we'll see more of younger Skywalker moving forward, in the form of a series of something, but I can definitely see them bringing him in for another cameo down the line. Perhaps a version of an older Skywalker just starting to grow out his beard?
5gd196ek4jt41.jpg

Especially if the creatives behind these new series are leaning on the legends novels, such as Heir to the Empire, Luke does have a significant presence in those (of course) so it stands to reason that what the characters in Ahsoka are dealing with, at some point, aligns with what Luke is up to which results in a new cameo. Not against that at all, especially if Hamill continues to be involved.

Well after the Mando cameo in S2 finale, they invested in better de-aging tech and even hired a Youtuber who was posting deepfakes at the time, one of which was a 'better' version of what Disney put out:

Which is ultimately what led to the vastly improved appearance of Luke in Book of Boba:

And I wouldn't necessarily call it "soulless" as Mark Hamill gave them his blessing and confirmed his participation in these cameos. His acting, his body movements, his reactions, etc. were all used as a point of reference for the stand-in and the CG that was applied in post.

luke-boba-3.jpg

Now I wouldn't go as far as to say that we'll see more of younger Skywalker moving forward, in the form of a series of something, but I can definitely see them bringing him in for another cameo down the line. Perhaps a version of an older Skywalker just starting to grow out his beard?
5gd196ek4jt41.jpg

Especially if the creatives behind these new series are leaning on the legends novels, such as Heir to the Empire, Luke does have a significant presence in those (of course) so it stands to reason that what the characters in Ahsoka are dealing with, at some point, aligns with what Luke is up to which results in a new cameo. Not against that at all, especially if Hamill continues to be involved.

He looked and sounded like ass on Boba as well. He will always be soulless, because the use of the robo voice makes it clear he isn't there. It's like a parody from Robocop, come to life. It was a terrible decision, that has severely hampered the quality on the appearances of Luke f'ing Skywalker.

luke-boba-3.jpg

5gd196ek4jt41.jpg

Yes, I'm aware they invested more in it. Unfortunately, the end result was how I described it: soulless. Whether or not Mark Hamill said he approved of it doesn't impact the end result. It feels empty and hollow watching CGI Luke at work, with his emotionless robot voice and stilted movements. He lacks warmth and humanity and they would have been better off just hiring a new actor. A character isn't a CGI approximation of a face or a voice filter and unfortunately that feels like how LucasFilm sees the OT cast now, based on comments from Kennedy about recasting

luke-boba-3.jpg

5gd196ek4jt41.jpg

But see, the actor they had as a stand-in for Book of Boba Fett (Graham Hamilton) looks similar enough to Hamill that it begs the question: why not just let the guy play Luke?

Disney-Gallery-Star-Wars-The-Book-Of-Boba-Fett-9-scaled.jpg

Disney-Gallery-Star-Wars-The-Book-Of-Boba-Fett-10-1920x1080.jpg

FqUcSxHaEAAr3L4

FqUcSxFaYAA-Tr4

The "deep fake" video you posted really doesn't look all that much better than the original, and the Book of Boba Fett's effects only looked slightly improved. But for the effects to even work, you need the stand-in to emote as little as possible. Hence the "robot" complaints. There is just no life in the performance because it's a weird amalgamation of two actors and a computer. There's no truth to it.

If they want to use Luke more, recast him. Simple as that. As a fan, I'd have a much easier time accepting a new actor in the role if it meant I was getting an actual character that moved the story in a meaningful way. Otherwise, just stick Luke in video games and animated shows where all you need is a decent Hamill impersonator.

Last edited:
But see, the actor they had as a stand-in for Book of Boba Fett (Graham Hamilton) looks similar enough to Hamill that it begs the question: why not just let the guy play Luke?

Disney-Gallery-Star-Wars-The-Book-Of-Boba-Fett-9-scaled.jpg

Disney-Gallery-Star-Wars-The-Book-Of-Boba-Fett-10-1920x1080.jpg

FqUcSxHaEAAr3L4

FqUcSxFaYAA-Tr4

The "deep fake" video you posted really doesn't look all that much better than the original, and the Book of Boba Fett's effects only looked slightly improved. But for the effects to even work, you need the stand-in to emote as little as possible. Hence the "robot" complaints. There is just no life in the performance because it's a weird amalgamation of two actors and a computer. There's no truth to it.

If they want to use Luke more, recast him. Simple as that. As a fan, I'd have a much easier time accepting a new actor in the role if it meant I was getting an actual character that moved the story in a meaningful way. Otherwise, just stick Luke in video games and animated shows where all you need is a decent Hamill impersonator.

Honestly, I really do wish they would find a way to use Luke more often. Given the looming threat that Thrawn and his armada poses to the New Republic, it makes no sense for Luke not to get involved.

Just wanted to respond to my post and say that all of the criticisms of CG Luke are entirely fair. I just cannot see anyone outside of Hamill himself playing the character, and we can dream all day about Sebastian Stan being cast as him but I don't think that'll happen lol. If they ever did decide to continue with a CG Luke in the future, my hope would be that they have Hamill himself in a mo-cap suit and de-age him and his voice, similar to how they film mo-cap for say Avatar or Planet of the Apes. Perhaps a CG Luke would be better received if they went that route and allowed Hamill to truly recapture and reenact a younger Luke all these decades later, that would be something. Definitely not necessary though, we've been introduced to so many incredible characters outside of the core movies that deserve their time to shine.:jedi

Hamill is in his seventies and he's packing the pounds back on. Mocap or not, he doesn't have the virility to play young Luke anymore. I'm getting Vietnam flashbacks of "young" Robert De Niro in The Irishman.

If Disney wants Luke to have more significant roles in future projects, it's either gotta be a recast or animation only. This CG de-aging technique is nowhere near where it needs to be to pull off a sustained appearance, and even then do we really want it? I'd argue a recast is less heartbreaking than watching an actor wear a digital mask of Mark Hamill and lip-sync to a soulless AI rendering of his voice.

At least a new actor could capture the spirit and essence of Luke Skywalker. That's the most important thing.

Last edited:
I'm really vibing with the orange sabers. They contrast very well against Ahsoka's white sabers.

Filoni said there's a reason why they're a solid color.
Obviously they're conflicted... they escaped Order 66 and then no one came to help/find them.

I'd be a bit mad, too.

Their outfits have some Knights Of Ren vibes to them.

Last edited:
Just read that Wes Chatham has a role in this. I'm a huge Expanse fan so this is really cool.

Also, I am super excited for this show just in general.

Pass.

The comparison doesn’t work since we never saw a younger actor play Obi-Wan so there wasn’t some shadow looming over a recast. Mon Mothma was so minor that it didn’t really matter.

This is something you don’t touch for a long while. Those OG actors have too large a shadow with those characters anytime soon, especially playing the same age.

Pass.

The comparison doesn’t work since we never saw a younger actor play Obi-Wan so there wasn’t some shadow looming over a recast. Mon Mothma was so minor that it didn’t really matter.

This is something you don’t touch for a long while. Those OG actors have too large a shadow with those characters anytime soon, especially playing the same age.
So can Ewan no longer play Obi-Wan because he'll be Sir Alec's age soon? How about lil Leia? Will she age out when she gets her driver's license? :funny:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"