DC Films Black Adam (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wig thing was a joke haha. But hey, you never know I guess lol.

Why would he? Can't Adam be bald?

Arthur and Barry are dark haired rather than brown, and Kara might just be dark haired instead of blonde too depending on the route WB take with her.

I'm not entirely understanding their lack of blonde cast and/or characters in the DCEU though...

Anything is possible, but if they're thinking of sequel films for individual characters, especially with Fate, you'd have thought they'd go with a slightly younger casting.

Brosnan is in his late 60's now isn't he? Would he even want to be reprising the role in another 3, 4 or even 5yrs?
What do you know about Dr. Fate?

I'll give you the short version.

Nabu the wise was the sorcerer agent of the Lords of Order one of the great mystical elemental powers in DC. They oppose and are opposed by the Lords of Chaos. Neither are strictly speaking good or evil. I mean Chaos, like say a burning wildfire and its destruction will lead to new growth. A fascist state is certainly orderly even as it oppresses. Nabu as a powerful sorcerer from the time of the ancient Egyptian empires eventually dies and his essence is drawn into the helmet of Fate.

The helmet is found by the husband and wife duo of Kent and Inza Nelson. Kent is drawn to put the helmet on and when he does Kent's body is taken over by Nabu who has now been elevated to a lord of order himself wielding massive magical abilities in the realms of mortals.

So Brosnan has a place in this but NOT as the lead. Dr. Fate is this amalgam of two beings. Nabu never materializes in the flesh but works via a possession if you will of Kent (And eventually Inza... And then the both of them... At the same time. **** gets weird lets say. Sona spin off would not have Brosnan as the lead per se. The actor cast as Kent is the "lead/hero".

One thing I’m wondering about this is, when they do their inevitable BA/Shazam crossover film... will it work? I liked Shazam a lot, but it was a much smaller, lighthearted superhero film than what they appear to be going for here. I just worry that the two characters won’t mesh well.

One thing I’m wondering about this is, when they do their inevitable BA/Shazam crossover film... will it work? I liked Shazam a lot, but it was a much smaller, lighthearted superhero film than what they appear to be going for here. I just worry that the two characters won’t mesh well.

I mean, that's more or less been my worry since before Shazam even happened, thanks to the whole "Announcing a Black Adam movie first" thing. WB seems to really really love the idea of a Black Adam movie much more than his actual hero for which he is a supporting character. Now, I actually *like* Black Adam, and especially as an anti-hero protagonist whose sort of an edgier, more morally ambiguous Thor. However, if you go in with a general mindset ( conscious or not ) that is basically "Villains make the best heroes, especially more than goody two-shoes characters like Billy Batson". . . well, that's not going to end up producing a good Morally Ambiguous Mythic Hero In The Modern World story.

Which is a pity, because I actually could see Dwayne Johnson playing an awesome and hilarious straight man across from Zachary Levi's Captain Marvel. He'll only get the chance if the writers are actually willing to *make* him the straight man, however, as opposed to making him the Grim Serious Main Character, for whom Levi is the Comic Relief Sidekick.

I mean, that's more or less been my worry since before Shazam even happened, thanks to the whole "Announcing a Black Adam movie first" thing. WB seems to really really love the idea of a Black Adam movie much more than his actual hero for which he is a supporting character. Now, I actually *like* Black Adam, and especially as an anti-hero protagonist whose sort of an edgier, more morally ambiguous Thor. However, if you go in with a general mindset ( conscious or not ) that is basically "Villains make the best heroes, especially more than goody two-shoes characters like Billy Batson". . . well, that's not going to end up producing a good Morally Ambiguous Mythic Hero In The Modern World story.

Which is a pity, because I actually could see Dwayne Johnson playing an awesome and hilarious straight man across from Zachary Levi's Captain Marvel. He'll only get the chance if the writers are actually willing to *make* him the straight man, however, as opposed to making him the Grim Serious Main Character, for whom Levi is the Comic Relief Sidekick.

I think WB pretty much has to go the "frenemies" route between the Shazams and Adam if/when they do merge the two franchises. I can't see Mr. Johnson signing onto a film in which his character kicks the snot out of an adorable multi racial foster family.

What do you know about Dr. Fate?

I'll give you the short version.

Nabu the wise was the sorcerer agent of the Lords of Order one of the great mystical elemental powers in DC. They oppose and are opposed by the Lords of Chaos. Neither are strictly speaking good or evil. I mean Chaos, like say a burning wildfire and its destruction will lead to new growth. A fascist state is certainly orderly even as it oppresses. Nabu as a powerful sorcerer from the time of the ancient Egyptian empires eventually dies and his essence is drawn into the helmet of Fate.

The helmet is found by the husband and wife duo of Kent and Inza Nelson. Kent is drawn to put the helmet on and when he does Kent's body is taken over by Nabu who has now been elevated to a lord of order himself wielding massive magical abilities in the realms of mortals.

So Brosnan has a place in this but NOT as the lead. Dr. Fate is this amalgam of two beings. Nabu never materializes in the flesh but works via a possession if you will of Kent (And eventually Inza... And then the both of them... At the same time. **** gets weird lets say. Sona spin off would not have Brosnan as the lead per se. The actor cast as Kent is the "lead/hero".
Great summary. Although in Tynion’s JL Dark run, Nabu did materialize in the flesh for a short while and he was a complete turd. He was even the villain of the series for a short time. I found it interesting even though I know a lot of people didn’t.

With the Rock attached, I get the feeling Black Adam might be the DCEU threat going forward if this does well.

I didn't realize Lawrence Sher was doing the cinematography and they're gonna combine it with Jaume Collet-Serra's directing? This s**t is gonna look nice.

This has the makings of being a solid entry into the DCEU.

I'm excited for this movie but still sad that the two biggest hero/villain rivalries...Shazam and Black Adam..both who draw their power from the same sources...are not meeting.

WTF ? Maybe the Rock should read a few comics too.

The film may have an antihero origin story, but that probably comes from the character being redefined by Goyer and Johns, that's a short lived 21st century interpretation - which involved the death of his wife and child.

Adam even reformed for a while and joined the JSA....and then started killing opponents and ultimately going on a rampage, slaughtering millions of civilians and destroying a bunch of global monuments. ( we also see ignoring his decades of supervillain antics from the 1940s until 2000).

Guess we're a bit selective about our "mythology".

I'll be honest, I'm not excited about this film mostly because it sounds like a vanity project for the Rock - who could actually play a real superhero, rather than Black Adam. Sorry, team but this looks a lot more Birds of Prey than Joker.

It reminds me of the upcoming "Cruella" film, which provides her tragic backstory, but no matter how stunning and brave she was as a youth, or how she was wronged by the tyranny of evil men, that she still tried to skin a bunch of puppies.

E6qcjfAWQAEsXGQ

Which is why in my opinion having Henry's Superman show up would be perfect! Besides, The Shazam we know from the film would not be ready for a solo confrontation with Black Adam at this point in my opinion. Not to mention, having Shazam, Superman and Black Adam in a film together could be a great formula for DC going forward and its happened in the comics several times.

So is he a villain in this? Or anti-hero? He straight up murdered an innocent dude.

His voice is gonna instantly take me out of it.

Hopefully the film has a John Wick type appeal though, where the savage action scenes blow your mind and carry the film, with a mostly silent protagonist (just replace headshots with crushed skulls).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"